HS Hockey Podcast (Episode 11)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

HS Hockey Podcast (Episode 11)

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Fun show this week...we hash out our Mr. Hockey finalists, talk through Karl's T10, Hockey Day and make our picks for the week:

Centennial/Edina
Elk River/Hill Murray
Tonka/Edina
Tonka/Holy Family

http://bit.ly/2jhmc9W
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good show as usual

A few random thoughts....

Johannes, Sullivan and Blackowiak all playing with more confidence to their full potential, I think it took them a while to settle into the Jack Jensen era but now things going much better with Coaches current line configuration. Also helps to have Leivermann fully healthy. Size will be an advantage down the stretch.

Normally dont like to talk too much about a sophomore, but since hes a captain... He purposefully tripped a Pioneer right in front of Pioneer bench after the game ending horn Saturday night. Then made an issue out of the handshake line. Enough said.

Regarding Mr. Hockey, we have a situation this year where two finalists on your list and one other close to your top ten spent significant time out injured. Probably wont affect voting, but maybe should. How many games can a person miss before shouldnt be nominated? Also, Nolan Sullivan noticeably absent as a candidate for consideration--not sure I agree with that

Centennial a bit overrated. Hornets should handle them Tues nite.

Down the stretch---look for seasoned returning starting varsity goalies over 90 percent saves to give their teams an edge. Begley, Moe, Meierhoff, Kelly, Holum, Benny Meyers, Fitzgerald, and Buzz Eigner who has now crossed the 90% threshhold. (Apologies to those I missed)
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

Agree with Westy on Sullivan. Solid, next level players without flash but all substance rarely get the love. Also agree on goalie. It's the consistency at the position that matters - as much for team confidence as anything. And for high school kids, confidence controls. I think Sam Walker should be a top 10 finalist. Best player on a top 5 team. Gopher commit. Big motor and scores. And I really agree with Tony on Neudecker. That kid is best player on just about every team but EP. Huge motor, grit in spades, high end vision. What people may miss by dismissing him as an SLP kid is that he would be even MORE productive with better players who could read what he is doing at high speed - even against better competition. Absolute gamer.
green4

Post by green4 »

Redtundra: Walker is only a junior so he won't be a finalist this year.

I like the Neubauer pick. I'm not sure he will make the list but I would like to see him there. Would be first SLP kid to be Mr. Hockey finalist since Sackirson in 2006
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

Thx Greenie. I think I knew that. But Walker was always with Copeland and Scheerer growing up and they are seniors. My son played against that bunch growing up. Big skill...
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Well I had to turn it off after 7 minutes. The Hill Murray hate is far too much to take. Let's see, in the first 5 minutes they say the coaching staff at HM is making chicken salad out of chicken sh$t. Classy. Couple minutes later, I hear that Edina "should have put HM away" when they had their chances. Correct me if I'm wrong but HM won that game by leading wire to wire. Put that away.

Peace. 8)
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:Well I had to turn it off after 7 minutes. The Hill Murray hate is far too much to take. Let's see, in the first 5 minutes they say the coaching staff at HM is making chicken salad out of chicken sh$t. Classy. Couple minutes later, I hear that Edina "should have put HM away" when they had their chances. Correct me if I'm wrong but HM won that game by leading wire to wire. Put that away.

Peace. 8)
Very well stated. That was not good on the chicken comments. Hill has a very nice team. The comment about putting Hill away was off too. How could they put Hill away when they never were ahead.
kniven

Post by kniven »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:Well I had to turn it off after 7 minutes. The Hill Murray hate is far too much to take. Let's see, in the first 5 minutes they say the coaching staff at HM is making chicken salad out of chicken sh$t. Classy. Couple minutes later, I hear that Edina "should have put HM away" when they had their chances. Correct me if I'm wrong but HM won that game by leading wire to wire. Put that away.

Peace. 8)
Hill murrey fans. Quit crying. For crying out loud. Don't tune in if your fancy pants will be hurt feelings. Did I ever tell you I can't stand private schools. Oh my. I. E.g. I hurt your feeeelings didn't I.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

If ER is the worst #4 team in the state wouldn't that also make them the best #4 team in the state? :? Another good show fellas.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

kniven wrote:

Peace. 8)
Hill murrey fans. Quit crying. For crying out loud. Don't tune in if your fancy pants will be hurt feelings. Did I ever tell you I can't stand private schools. Oh my. I. E.g. I hurt your feeeelings didn't I.
You're comments have deeply hurt me. I'm going to a designated safe place.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

I will say this about the Chicken salad comment...it was wrong to elude to them in this way.

Pretty sure an apology session will be in place next week.

That said, I took the tone on HM to be positive. Well coached team, with less star power than the Pioneers are use to. They only have 1 D1 commit (Ben Helgeson), with only 1 more potential (Jake Begley) on their roster.

I like this team a lot - remember, these kids lost a heartbreaker to Stillwater last year...they remember what that felt like. Defeat is the best motivator in the world.