Class A Game of the Year #2 Warroad @ #1 Hermantown (1/15/22)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins this #2 vs #1 Battle in Class A?

#2 Warroad
35%
#1 Hermantown
65%

Total votes: 17

ClassAGuy

Class A Game of the Year #2 Warroad @ #1 Hermantown (1/15/22)

Post by ClassAGuy »

I had to create this thread with the upcoming #1 vs #2 Match up in Class A this Saturday. Last year COVID robbed us of Gentry @ Hermantown during the regular season and again at State. In 2020 we didn't ever get a true #1 vs #2 games as Hermantown, Warroad and SCC were the big three all year and then we had the surprising Zephyrs State Title run at the X. The last true #1 vs #2 game in Class A came in the 2019 season when #2 Hermantown traveled to #1 SCC on 1/4/19 that was a classic in which the Hawks won in OT with 30 seconds left. I can only hope this matchup delivers like the last great 1 vs 2 battle in Class A.

#2 Warroad (14-0-0) @ #1 Hermantown (10-1-0)

First Line Power- Both teams have great first lines as the news that Zam will be back and in the lineup this week just added even more juice to this highly anticipated match up. The M. Plante- Z. Plante- Kohanski line vs the Shaugabay- Gardner- Hard line is going to be a fun side story to watch within the game itself. Both lines bring their own flavor, the assists and set-up/playmaking ability of M. Plante and Shaugabay makes watching them as a spectator a treat both have incredible puck skill and watching them set up teammates is special. The Alpha Male of each line is going to be spectacular as well. Both Z. Plante and Gardner spent their fall’s in the USHL and the speed and skill of Zam vs the size and strength of Daimon makes this a must see matchup. Not to mention the third wheel of each line is not too shabby either as the workhorse effort of Hard and the finish ability of Kohanski make each a perfect fit to these two herald Class A Top Lines.

The Depth- This where the Hawks appear to have the edge as they can put out the likes of Dallas Vieau, Wyatt Carlson and Gavin Blomdahl to name a few as part of their secondary scoring which makes the Hawks so tough to match up with depth wise. They have speed and skill throughout the lineup and as they showed when fully healthy they were able to take down the best of AA in part because of their depth. Warroad’s biggest concern has been the aforementioned depth issues however some of their sophomore stars from their #1 A Bantam team last year are starting to come around like Murray Marvin-Cordes & Carson Pilgrim. However, this is an area where the Hawks have a noticeable edge.

Defense- Both teams have star power on the blue line. The Hawks are led by Ty Hanson who is a do it all stud dman back there. They also have the physical grit of big Beau Janzig and the playmaking and scoring ability of George Peterson to add to a very nice D-core. The Warriors have a great d-core of their own as Carson Reed is a great high school defenseman and has 3 years under his belt. Add the smooth skating playmaking ability of Eric Comstock and the emerging sophomore star in Ryan Lund. Not to mention the gritty experienced senior Todd Powassin and the head coach’s kid sophomore Will Harwick it would appear Warroad might have a slight edge.

Goaltending- The Hawks got a serious upgrade to what looked like the lingering weakness to start the year when they added Duluth East Transfer Dane Callaway. All Callaway has done this year is be nothing short of spectacular in the net as the Hawks main starter. He has posted a sparkling (7-1-0) record 1.35 GAA .931 SV% stat line. As great as Callaway has been, Warroad's Hampton Slukynsky has been even better. The Junior has posted an eye popping (14-0-0) record 1.06 GAA .942 SV% stat line of his own. By the way he is riding a 3 game shutout streak heading into Friday's game. Both teams appear to be set up well in net.

This looks like a great Match-up and more than likely the preview for the Class A Title in March. So looking for thoughts and who ya got as we countdown the days to this great Class A Game!
elliott70

Re: Class A Game of the Year #2 Warroad @ #1 Hermantown (1/15/22)

Post by elliott70 »

If I were to bet it would be on Hermantown.
They play a very difficult schedule.
Warroad has some top competition also but not nearly as tough as HT.

Somewhere inside of me I will be cheering for Warroad as I have watched most of those kids play since they first put on skates.
But if they were to win this game it would be tough to win again in March.

Hermantown will win. Especially since it is on home ice and Warroad has a travel game the night before.
ramstein

Post by ramstein »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm If I were to bet it would be on Hermantown.

Somewhere inside of me I will be cheering for Warroad as I have watched most of those kids play since they first put on skates.

Hermantown will win. Especially since it is on home ice and Warroad has a travel game the night before.
That must have been tough for Elliot. He never likes to give Warroad anything. :roll:

Late travel night on Friday(Crookston) for Warroad and then up early for the 4 hour bus trip makes it interesting. BUT at least WHS is trying to get a more competitive schedule. They have Delano and Wayzata on there schedule this year too.

Can't wait to see how many people are watching online on Saturday.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

ramstein wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:48 pm
elliott70 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:36 pm If I were to bet it would be on Hermantown.

That must have been tough for Elliot. He never likes to give Warroad anything. :roll:

Late travel night on Friday(Crookston) for Warroad and then up early for the 4 hour bus trip makes it interesting. BUT at least WHS is trying to get a more competitive schedule. They have Delano and Wayzata on their schedule this year too.

Can't wait to see how many people are watching online on Saturday.
I 100% agree with Elliott on the Travel. However, Hermantown is also on the road Friday night at SCC while I dont expect the Crusaders to push the Hawks they will still present a taxing game than Warroad at struggling Crookston this year.

But Elliott is right the game being at the Hawk Nest make Hermantown an even bigger favorite. It has been at least 15 years since Hermantown has lost a game to a Class A team at home.

Hermantown owns wins over- Benilde, Hill, Wayzata, Rosemount, Delano, Denfeld and Maht
Warroad owns wins over- Rogers, GR, EGF, Fergus, DL, Roseau

The Hawks have the edge there with Schedule.

I just hope they meet again in March on Saturday Afternoon. I think the TV timeouts and Warroad being able to play their top line more will make that game more interesting then this one.

Just really excited for this game has it circled for awhile as a Class A Puck Nerd you could not ask for anything better!
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Not that my opinion matters, but my money is also in HTown as they seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder after their loss. I hope it's as good as a game as everyone is hyping it up to be! The 218 could use the buzz with East down this year (and it appears for a while to come)!
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Is the game streaming online anywhere?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Joe2015 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 pm Is the game streaming online anywhere?
Yes, through https://www.mnhockey.tv/ (paid, though Hermantown usually has a good stream and announcers)
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

I wonder if they had it at the Amsoil how many would come to watch???
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Mite-dad wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:54 pm I wonder if they had it at the Amsoil how many would come to watch???
I think with how starved the 218 is for good high school puck due to the recent demise of the Hounds you might good a pretty good draw for this one. Duluth is a great hockey town I think with the right promotion it could be a good sell.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

WIthout having seen Hermantown, my opinion is very one sided, but I am going with the Warriors. If they can play like they did in Roseau, I believe Warroad can compete with any team in the state at either class. Great play from forwards, defensively they are very frustrating and they have great goaltending. I have only seen Warroad twice and the other was against Grand Rapids, in which the Thunderhawks slept thru the first two periods and then owned the third. I think Warroad has improved since then and some younger players have stepped up. I will go with my Roseau County bias and pick the Warriors in a thriller.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 »

Hermantown wins by a couple of goals and outshoots them by at least 10

I agree with a previous poster that if they meet in March at the X it's basically a coin flip. Hermantown is significantly deeper, but that gets thrown out the window with the media time outs at state.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

As far as how big a crowd could they have attracted if they played at a bigger venue , one buddy had a good suggestion a while ago that Hibbing Memorial would have been perfect .

As far as streaming , i thought Mnhockey. tv now had the exclusive at Htown arena . Don’t know who will be doing the play by play , won’t be Pete and Bart .
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Bought the broadcast through Spideo & waiting for the puck drop.
Go Warriors!

Can't hear the announcers, anyone else having this issue?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

That was one of the more entertaining games I've watched in a while. I always love these cagey heavyweight fights where both teams poke and prod and then settle into their games, going blow for blow and fighting for every square foot of ice. It was about as quiet a full arena as you'll ever hear, with everyone just glued to the action as it went back and forth. This was the first game I've been to since before the pandemic where it really felt like high school hockey was back, and just as much of a gem as it's always been.

The top lines really canceled each other out and figured in none of the goals. For Warroad, Gardner is a physical specimen, though he seemed to tire easily. Shaugabay was logging silly ice time and there's that hint of intrigue every time he touches the puck. Was very impressed with Murray Marvin-Cordes as well; the kid can skate. While I thought Hermantown was the somewhat better team in the 1st and the early stages of the 2nd, the Warrior forecheck slowly took over as the game went along, and they had the Hawks on the ropes for good portions of the 3rd, bringing their heavy style and forcing some penalties. But the Plantes broke the spell with a couple of great chances with just over a minute left, and that set up a thriller of an OT before the game-winner.

The Hawks' depth shined in this one, and with more D in the rotation and no several-minute shifts like Shaugabay was running, they may have had more in the tank at the end. Their depth really shined in this one. If he weren't on a team with the Plantes, Dallas Vieau would be a household name, and Kauppinen had a big game, too. Both goaltenders did some fantastic work, though I'm sure Slukynsky wants that last one back.

If this is going to be our showdown on Saturday afternoon in St. Paul, sign me right up. It was as good a Class A hockey game as I've ever seen.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

karl(east) wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:37 pm That was one of the more entertaining games I've watched in a while. I always love these cagey heavyweight fights where both teams poke and prod and then settle into their games, going blow for blow and fighting for every square foot of ice. It was about as quiet a full arena as you'll ever hear, with everyone just glued to the action as it went back and forth. This was the first game I've been to since before the pandemic where it really felt like high school hockey was back, and just as much of a gem as it's always been.

The top lines really canceled each other out and figured in none of the goals. For Warroad, Gardner is a physical specimen, though he seemed to tire easily. Shaugabay was logging silly ice time and there's that hint of intrigue every time he touches the puck. Was very impressed with Murray Marvin-Cordes as well; the kid can skate. While I thought Hermantown was the somewhat better team in the 1st and the early stages of the 2nd, the Warrior forecheck slowly took over as the game went along, and they had the Hawks on the ropes for good portions of the 3rd, bringing their heavy style and forcing some penalties. But the Plantes broke the spell with a couple of great chances with just over a minute left, and that set up a thriller of an OT before the game-winner.

The Hawks' depth shined in this one, and with more D in the rotation and no several-minute shifts like Shaugabay was running, they may have had more in the tank at the end. Their depth really shined in this one. If he weren't on a team with the Plantes, Dallas Vieau would be a household name, and Kauppinen had a big game, too. Both goaltenders did some fantastic work, though I'm sure Slukynsky wants that last one back.

If this is going to be our showdown on Saturday afternoon in St. Paul, sign me right up. It was as good a Class A hockey game as I've ever seen.
Karl - where would you place these two teams if there was a single class?
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 pm Karl - where would you place these two teams if there was a single class?
For a two-class ranking, I think I'd go:

1. Hermantown
2. Cretin
3. Andover
4. Warroad
5. Benilde

The Warriors' schedule would hurt them in this calculus, though the Roseau win (and some of their other quality results) I think are enough to put them top 5. Their game with Wayzata this coming week should be telling. If Hermantown loses again I think Cretin jumps over them, but I'm willing to discount the head-to-head result right now given Hermantown's other quality wins and the fact that the were down Zam Plante in that game.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

In Basketball Gonzaga has an enrollment of ~7000, the University of Minnesota has an enrollment of ~ 37,000.

In this day and age enrollment means almost nothing. Hermantown is, quite literally, one of the most affluent public school districts in the state. More affluent in Free/reduced lunch than Edina for what it is worth. This stuff is public record. If you are in the top 10 of public schools for the fewest kids on the free/reduced lunch program you probably have a really good hockey team, no matter your class.

Comparing Hermantown to Worthington is akin to Comparing Edina to John Marshall. But hockey people think enrollment is the most important factor.

Make it fair,put the top 64 based on free/ reduced lunch rates…..not enrollment.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I wish there some were statistics to better describe this chess match and perfect example of top opponent good hockey play .

How about :

- Ratio of Fewest passes attempted and completed over 15 feet
- Ratio of Fewest square feet of open ice to work with
- Ratio of minutes of proper use of sticks
- Fewest D zone errors per minute in D zone
- Ratio of all out hustle per individual and team TOI

etc etc

Wish could have been there in person for this one but nevertheless about as enjoyable as it gets

But for a squirt thru , would’ve ended in a well deserved tie
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

Karl. Am I safe to assume hermantown controlled play until their best defenders 5 minute major? Then maybe a period of time of momentum shift.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Getitright wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 am Karl. Am I safe to assume hermantown controlled play until their best defenders 5 minute major? Then maybe a period of time of momentum shift.
I wouldn't say they controlled play--shots were even in the first period, after all. Hermantown's scoring chances in the first were certainly better, though. I think the momentum started shifting a little before the major, when the Warriors killed off a lengthy 5-on-3. Giving up a second one there probably would've been game over, considering how little space there was to operate in this game, and that seemed to start the train for Warroad, with the major obviously then being a big boost to that.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Karl's description of liking this game to a heavyweight fight is spot-on.
Hard to tell from the video how the game winner was scored. Wish it could've been closer cam work. I was heartened to see him stop the H-town break away only to have the winner score on what seemed a clear visual by the goaltender following the puck toward the net. Maybe he didn't close his pads as tight as he thought. Anyone have a closer look-see than myhockey video from center ice showed?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

That’s exactly what happened . Unobstructed view.
Thought it was a save. Pads not tight enough for the speed of the shot. Dribbled thru , almost in excruciating slo mo.

Not on Sluk tho . Things happen in a game. Could have just as easily been a D turnover, or lost edge , or anything else . Puck luck or hockey gods in a game like this
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 pm That’s exactly what happened . Unobstructed view.
Thought it was a save. Pads not tight enough for the speed of the shot. Dribbled thru , almost in excruciating slo mo.

Not on Sluk tho . Things happen in a game. Could have just as easily been a D turnover, or lost edge , or anything else . Puck luck or hockey gods in a game like this
Thanks, Westy for the confirmation.
Hope my hockey looks into the play by play audio issue.
It was irritating to not be able to hear it all be it faintly.
I emailed them about it and they were going to contact the people at the arena and that's the last I heard.

Terrific game though, probably the best one so far this season.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Enrollment does have a lot to do with it for most teams and towns. Certain towns have great programs that enrollment is not as important, but the small enrollment AA schools (non privates) may be able to put together a competitive team on occasion, but they are becoming fewer and further between. I would say the same is true for A schools. Looking at section 8, you don't see Roseau being able to compete as well most years as they did years back and you don't see the Red Lake Falls, Hallock and Baudette competing for an A title.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Here’s a good view of the GWG captured by Todd

https://twitter.com/mnhshockeytalk/stat ... 79172?s=21