Section Playoffs Super Saturday 2-26-22 Games

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Re: Section Playoffs Super Saturday 2-26-22 Games

Post by ClassAGuy »

Curious what will happen First -

Section 7AA
Cloquet, Duluth Marshall dropping down to 7A (Heard rumors of both)
or
Hermantown moving up to 7AA

Section 8AA
Bemidji dropping down to 8A (Not saying that I hear a sprinkle of a rumor a while ago though elliott could speak to it more)
or
Alexandria moving up to 8AA (Girls already there and boys program getting close due to enrollment)
or
River Lakes back to AA (MSHSL stops giving them a waiver to move down)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:27 pm Curious what will happen First -

Section 7AA
or

Section 8AA
Bemidji dropping down to 8A (Not saying that I hear a sprinkle of a rumor a while ago though elliott could speak to it more)
or
Alexandria moving up to 8AA (Girls already there and boys program getting close due to enrollment)
or
Cloquet has dropped their youth program already so can the HS be far behind?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section 7AA
or

Section 8AA
or
or
Alex's youth program is AA and they anticipate having numbers and a desire to be AA at HS.
Bemidji has no current desire to not play AA.
River Lakes???
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section 7AA
or

Section 8AA
or
or
Hermantown moving up to 7AA would be good, but probably not happening.
We can all hope.
And it's a two- or four-year deal so it's not forever if not working out.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section 7AA
or

Section 8AA
or
or
Roseau's peewee and bantam numbers are very low with few high-end (read AA) caliber players.
Will they stay down?
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:30 pm

Section 7AA
or

Section 8AA
or
or
Alex's youth program is AA and they anticipate having numbers and a desire to be AA at HS.
River Lakes???
This is not true. For the last two cycles a large majority of stakeholders have petitioned to not opt up to AA (Bemidji is classified as A). Have been over ruled by the AD the last go around.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Is there any chance that MN goes back to a single class tournament? I understand the cons to this sort of thing, but it eliminates a lot of the consternation about northern teams v metro teams, private schools v public schools, the viability of opting up, sandbaggers in class A, etc.

Same number of teams could still make State, top teams would get byes to try and eliminate blow-outs.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Another team that will be 8AA soon is Sauk Rapids-Rice based on enrollment
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Goose21 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:44 pm
elliott70 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:30 pm

Section 7AA
or

Section 8AA
or
or
River Lakes???
This is not true. For the last two cycles a large majority of stakeholders have petitioned to not opt up to AA (Bemidji is classified as A). Have been over ruled by the AD.
Not one person has asked me to join that particular band wagon for at least five years.
Bemidji could very well go to state in both peewees and bantams this year.
East Grand Forks gives Bemidji more of a run than Roseau.
And the last Moorhead game at peewee AA was an even affair (Mhd by 1).

When bantam AA were peewees they qualified for state. (struggling with checking).

If Bemidji plays single A they have to contend with EGF, TRF and Warroad.
If double A they have Moorhead and StMA, Buffalo, Elk River.
No easy road to state either way.

Personally, I do not care- I cheer for hem win or lose. I have for 37 years,
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:50 pm Is there any chance that MN goes back to a single class tournament? I understand the cons to this sort of thing, but it eliminates a lot of the consternation about northern teams v metro teams, private schools v public schools, the viability of opting up, sandbaggers in class A, etc.

Same number of teams could still make State, top teams would get byes to try and eliminate blow-outs.
Let's hope not! Class A hockey has grown a ton of programs that never would have had a chance facing the MEGA AA schools like Edina, EP, Tonka and Wayzata.

Class A has been good for MN Hockey and grown programs. Kids from Delano to Luverne to MN River to North Branch to Princeton to Marshall to etc have all had a chance to play at the X for their community and grow a brand that would have never happened.

If anything there is more of a chance you see three classes of hockey... yes that is out there and growing in momentum. I think A and AA is perfect the Friday 4 games have been well attended and a treat to watch over the last 5 to 7 years. Overall, I think one Class Tournament would not be good for hockey as a whole in the State
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

In the most recent classification cycle, Alexandria was still 96 students away from hitting the AA line. With the flow of students in and out, 96 seems like a lot. Sauk Rapids and Bemidji are closer to the 1299 number.

I think what will be more telling is in the next two year cycle, will the 1299 number come down? It actually went up from the previous 2 year cycle.

In regards to the Alex youth program going AA, I think it was more of a case of looking at the teams the youth programs were playing and wanting a more consistent and higher competition level, especially at the top end, to get ready for high school hockey.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BSUBeaver wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:21 pm In the most recent classification cycle, Alexandria was still 96 students away from hitting the AA line. With the flow of students in and out, 96 seems like a lot. Sauk Rapids and Bemidji are closer to the 1299 number.

I think what will be more telling is in the next two year cycle, will the 1299 number come down? It actually went up from the previous 2 year cycle.

In regards to the Alex youth program going AA, I think it was more of a case of looking at the teams the youth programs were playing and wanting a more consistent and higher competition level, especially at the top end, to get ready for high school hockey.
Good points! Alex if they get past Fergus this year and something is not done to increase the number of teams in 6A the next cycle or two they will be at State every year for years to come. More just thinking Alexandria was more along the lines of Sartell & Brainerd of the CLC young families growing strong school districts with solid youth numbers a move back to AA where they were in the 90's just seemed logical in the next few years.

Also, I know Sauk Rapids has closed open enrollment but I see them in 8AA soon.

8AA
Moorhead
Alexandria
Sartell
Sauk Rapids
Roseau
Bemidji
St. Cloud
River Lakes

7AA Move brainerd back over there they were for years

These moves would all make sense
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:32 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:21 pm In the most recent classification cycle, Alexandria was still 96 students away from hitting the AA line. With the flow of students in and out, 96 seems like a lot. Sauk Rapids and Bemidji are closer to the 1299 number.

Good points! Alex if they get past Fergus this year and something is not done to increase the number of teams in 6A the next cycle or two they will be at State every year for years to come. More just thinking Alexandria was more along the lines of Sartell & Brainerd of the CLC young families growing strong school districts with solid youth numbers a move back to AA where they were in the 90's just seemed logical in the next few years.

Also, I know Sauk Rapids has closed open enrollment but I see them in 8AA soon.

8AA
Moorhead
Alexandria
Sartell
Sauk Rapids
Roseau
Bemidji
St. Cloud
River Lakes

7AA Move brainerd back over there they were for years

These moves would all make sense
Take out Moorhead and it would be a nice AA section in a 3 class system.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:10 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:50 pm Is there any chance that MN goes back to a single class tournament? I understand the cons to this sort of thing, but it eliminates a lot of the consternation about northern teams v metro teams, private schools v public schools, the viability of opting up, sandbaggers in class A, etc.

Let's hope not! Class A hockey has grown a ton of programs that never would have had a chance facing the MEGA AA schools like Edina, EP, Tonka and Wayzata.

Class A has been good for MN Hockey and grown programs. Kids from Delano to Luverne to MN River to North Branch to Princeton to Marshall to etc have all had a chance to play at the X for their community and grow a brand that would have never happened.

If anything there is more of a chance you see three classes of hockey... yes that is out there and growing in momentum. I think A and AA is perfect the Friday 4 games have been well attended and a treat to watch over the last 5 to 7 years. Overall, I think one Class Tournament would not be good for hockey as a whole in the State
Playing devil's advocate here:

If we were to go back to a single class, I would expect that 16 teams would make the tourney. You could theoretically keep the sections almost the exact same as how they are set up now. Those same class A teams currently making the A tourney could/would make the new single class tourney.

You could set it up where the top teams in the tourney have byes, alleviating the blow-outs that one would expect in the opening round.

In my opinion this is just as good an option for class A teams as the current system where they get to state but have almost zero chance of winning a title. In many ways, what would be the difference? These small, rural class A teams are just getting run over at state by quasi-AA teams like STA, Benilde (before they both opted up), Breck and now Hermantown. They'd still get a chance to go to state, they'd just get run over by an actual AA team instead of a sandbagger A team that ought to be in AA. Just sayin :wink:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

If the mshsl is truly concerned about travel distance and expense can anyone explain why section 7AA and 8AA have 9 teams each and some of the metro sections only have 8 or is it to make sure there is plenty of metro teams in each section.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

This post won't be all that popular, but it is time for Roseau to move back to class A and renew the rivalries with the old section 8 teams. It is a proud town, but it is a numbers thing. We just can't produce enough kids to compete with the AA programs. We will either have to try bring in players to fill holes each year or be satisfied with being somewhat competitive with no chance at seeing St. Paul again. Look at Moorhead, their leading scorer and starting goalie came from North Dakota. As good as they are, they still get move ins that make them even better. Most of the best metro teams still rely on move ins to take them over the top. My opinion is we have to do what's bet for the kids and swallow our pride. I hear from the old timers around town at times, that our kids just need to work harder, just need to spend more time at the north rink etc. Our kids work hard, they do their best, they are just at a disadvantage because of numbers. Heck, if we were in Class A and went to state this year, we would be one of the smallest enrollment A teams at state. Lots to think about way up north!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Green and White Fan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:27 am This post won't be all that popular, but it is time for Roseau to move back to class A and renew the rivalries with the old section 8 teams. It is a proud town, but it is a numbers thing. We just can't produce enough kids to compete with the AA programs. We will either have to try bring in players to fill holes each year or be satisfied with being somewhat competitive with no chance at seeing St. Paul again. Look at Moorhead, their leading scorer and starting goalie came from North Dakota. As good as they are, they still get move ins that make them even better. Most of the best metro teams still rely on move ins to take them over the top. My opinion is we have to do what's bet for the kids and swallow our pride. I hear from the old timers around town at times, that our kids just need to work harder, just need to spend more time at the north rink etc. Our kids work hard, they do their best, they are just at a disadvantage because of numbers. Heck, if we were in Class A and went to state this year, we would be one of the smallest enrollment A teams at state. Lots to think about way up north!
Roseau to Class A would be great!!
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

Green and White Fan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:27 am This post won't be all that popular, but it is time for Roseau to move back to class A and renew the rivalries with the old section 8 teams. It is a proud town, but it is a numbers thing. We just can't produce enough kids to compete with the AA programs. We will either have to try bring in players to fill holes each year or be satisfied with being somewhat competitive with no chance at seeing St. Paul again. Look at Moorhead, their leading scorer and starting goalie came from North Dakota. As good as they are, they still get move ins that make them even better. Most of the best metro teams still rely on move ins to take them over the top. My opinion is we have to do what's bet for the kids and swallow our pride. I hear from the old timers around town at times, that our kids just need to work harder, just need to spend more time at the north rink etc. Our kids work hard, they do their best, they are just at a disadvantage because of numbers. Heck, if we were in Class A and went to state this year, we would be one of the smallest enrollment A teams at state. Lots to think about way up north!
Agree 100 percent. Similar situation for other Northern opt ups.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

[quote="Green and White Fan" post_id=761444 time=1646148441 user_id=579]
This post won't be all that popular, but it is time for Roseau to move back to class A and renew the rivalries with the old section 8 teams. It is a proud town, but it is a numbers thing. We just can't produce enough kids to compete with the AA programs. We will either have to try bring in players to fill holes each year or be satisfied with being somewhat competitive with no chance at seeing St. Paul again. Look at Moorhead, their leading scorer and starting goalie came from North Dakota. As good as they are, they still get move ins that make them even better. Most of the best metro teams still rely on move ins to take them over the top. My opinion is we have to do what's bet for the kids and swallow our pride. I hear from the old timers around town at times, that our kids just need to work harder, just need to spend more time at the north rink etc. Our kids work hard, they do their best, they are just at a disadvantage because of numbers. Heck, if we were in Class A and went to state this year, we would be one of the smallest enrollment A teams at state. Lots to think about way up north!
[/quote

I remember the last year of one class, Roseau was the smallest school in the tournament but took home the prize.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

This should've posted separately but ..
I remember the last year of the one class tournament,
Roseau, the smallest school in it, took home the championship.
That's when there was a lot of barking about going to 2-class and the barkers, including myself, had a point with the 2 tier tournament until they got it right with A & AA.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

raidergrad72 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:50 pm This should've posted separately but ..
I remember the last year of the one class tournament,
Roseau, the smallest school in it, took home the championship.

That's when there was a lot of barking about going to 2-class and the barkers, including myself, had a point with the 2 tier tournament until they got it right with A & AA.
Your memory is failing you. But that's okay.

https://content.hmpioneers.net/video/19 ... _Final.mov
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

I thought the move to two classes was lame-o...I am now in favor of expanding to three classes with 40 something teams per class and make each class a super tourney like Class 6A football does now...a March Madness if you will. I honestly think it will help increase numbers / participation at the youth level as the middling programs like an Irondale, Armstrong, Hopkins, Kennedy, Jefferson, Woodbury, Tartan, etc. would have a realistic chance of not being first round cannon fodder for the perennial powers of Class AA. You don't have to waste time watching a team like Benilde beat a Hopkins team 10-1 in the first round anymore. The purists will bemoan this but I think it could work.

Also, the MSHSL board needs to be an elected position with term limits...get some people in there with new / fresh ideas.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

O-town shows that he is a clown. Roseau people do follow high school hockey more than just the Rams. There are throngs of Roseau people that will be at the state tournament and go every year regardless if the Rams are there or not. Many Roseau hockey fans follow the local Class A games and attend ones close by. If the 8AA championship tonight was in TRF or Bemidji there would many Roseau hockey fans there. Seems like a bit of jealousy or something coming from the Clown on his dislike of Roseau.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Green and White Fan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:55 am O-town shows that he is a clown. Roseau people do follow high school hockey more than just the Rams. There are throngs of Roseau people that will be at the state tournament and go every year regardless if the Rams are there or not. Many Roseau hockey fans follow the local Class A games and attend ones close by. If the 8AA championship tonight was in TRF or Bemidji there would many Roseau hockey fans there. Seems like a bit of jealousy or something coming from the Clown on his dislike of Roseau.
It’s amazing to me that someone can come into social media and say bad things and people will automatically think it’s true. Gotta take everything with a grain of salt. There are good and bad people in every town or community that exists in the world.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

thefatcat wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:00 pm I thought the move to two classes was lame-o...I am now in favor of expanding to three classes with 40 something teams per class and make each class a super tourney like Class 6A football does now...a March Madness if you will. I honestly think it will help increase numbers / participation at the youth level as the middling programs like an Irondale, Armstrong, Hopkins, Kennedy, Jefferson, Woodbury, Tartan, etc. would have a realistic chance of not being first round cannon fodder for the perennial powers of Class AA. You don't have to waste time watching a team like Benilde beat a Hopkins team 10-1 in the first round anymore. The purists will bemoan this but I think it could work.

Also, the MSHSL board needs to be an elected position with term limits...get some people in there with new / fresh ideas.
It’s moving with the times. The game of hockey has changed so much in so many ways over the past 20-30 years. The cost of playing hockey is insane especially when compared to other sports.

It’s time to evolve and move to a 3 class, ranked system to promote the utmost fairness possible.