2023 Boys Hockey State All-Tournament Teams

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

2023 Boys Hockey State All-Tournament Teams

Post by MNHockeyFan »

(Apologies if this has already been posted)

https://www.mshsl.org/about/news/tourna ... ment-teams
Cobber

Re: 2023 Boys Hockey State All-Tournament Teams

Post by Cobber »

How does the goalie from the class A state championship team that beat both Warroad and Hermantown and outshot both games not make the all tournament team.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Because the MSHSL has no idea what's going on. In both A and AA there are more members from second place teams than from champions? In the girls' AA tourney a player gets a hat trick in the championship game and huge goal in the semi's to propel her team to the title and gets left out. These are the kind of decisions that devalue the entire award.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

They vote on Friday night.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Another great decision. Lazy.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

So it's not an all tournament team, it's an all quarter finals and semi finals award. Real smart.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

Cobber wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:57 pm How does the goalie from the class A state championship team that beat both Warroad and Hermantown and outshot both games not make the all tournament team.
I'd have gone with Nick Hansen (Cathedral) and Charlie Brandt (Mahtomedi) for the goalies...and by quite a bit.

The state tourney may have been Slukynsky's worst stretch of the season...he's a fantastic goalie but that's just the truth.

Walock was fantastic against Orono, but the squad went 0-2 on the week.

Just my 2 cents
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

They vote Saturday afternoon and night. At least that's the way it was in 1992 when I covered the tournament. Not sure if the MSHSL has any votes or not. I do know that in '92, the press was able to vote.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I believe that the votes, by members of the media, are due in by the end of the second period of the championship games.

So you better complete your hat trick before the third period.
Hockey Is For Everyone
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Wrong Mr. Elliott.
Play Like a Champion Today
armhockey

Post by armhockey »

Who did they miss on the AA side? Moore? He and Nevers had about the same amount of points, but Nevers all around game makes a much bigger impact on their teams. Goalies? Erickson was great all tournament. I'm guessing that when the submission had to be in during the 3rd period it was a 1-1 game and it was a toss up which goalie would win the game.

I have no problem with the AA team. Pretty much spot on!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:53 pm I believe that the votes, by members of the media, are due in by the end of the second period of the championship games.

So you better complete your hat trick before the third period.
This is correct - they do need to actually tabulate the votes. So yes, heading into the 3rd period of the A final, it looked like Warroad was on its way to a title and Slukynsky had yet to give up four more goals. I also don't think it's crazy for the 2nd place team to sometimes have more recipients than the champion, especially if those teams are carried by 3-4 stars while the champion wins more on depth. (You can arguably say that was the case for both state champions this year.) Not saying I would have gone in lockstep with this year's voters, but I don't think any of these are crazy, either.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

By voting (and tabulating) at the conclusion of the second period of the championship games, the team can be announced at the tournament. The alternative would be to vote after the tournament, and announce the team the following day, when they have for the most part scattered to the winds.
Hockey Is For Everyone