Tonka 18-0 over STMA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SpreadOut!

Tonka 18-0 over STMA

Post by SpreadOut! »

Classy victory tonight by Goldsworthy’s metro area all star team. Way to avenge that tie with the Hornets! Coach must be so proud.
Slap Shot

Re: Tonka 18-0 over STMA

Post by Slap Shot »

Javon Moore had 1 A.

Several goals were scored by Scheetz (6th in scoring), Browning (13th), Baer (10th) and Lunski (9th) while several assists went to House (12th), Baer, Stout (7th), Thompson (15th) and Browning. Are they supposed to sit their top players for the rest of the game once they reach 8 goals? 10?

What would satisfy you and your never-ending vendetta?
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Slap Shot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:57 pm Javon Moore had 1 A.

Several goals were scored by Scheetz (6th in scoring), Browning (13th), Baer (10th) and Lunski (9th) while several assists went to House (12th), Baer, Stout (7th), Thompson (15th) and Browning. Are they supposed to sit their top players for the rest of the game once they reach 8 goals? 10?

Goldsworthy being run out of town.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

What you fail to mention: 14th goal, scored by their 4th leading scorer (G Garry), 15th and 18th goals, scored by their 3rd leading scorer (L Garry), and the 16th goal was scored by their leading point getter (Burrows)
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

bardown27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:42 am

What you fail to mention: 14th goal, scored by their 4th leading scorer (G Garry), 15th and 18th goals, scored by their 3rd leading scorer (L Garry), and the 16th goal was scored by their leading point getter (Burrows)
I didn't fail to mention anything - your deflection assumes those players have to sit on the bench for the rest of the game.

So again at what point are they supposed to sit players because of a lopsided score? Why should those players have to log 0 TOI over your approved amount of time?
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Maple Grove Hockey scores from past 2 seasons

21-22 Season
12-1 win: FB scored in 3rd
10-0 win; JG & DN scored in 3rd

22-23 season
10-0 win; LM scored in 3rd
15-0 win; FB scored in 3rd

:-k
Play Like a Champion Today
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

There's plenty more from the 20-21 season that include the following game scores:

12-1
10-0
19-2
11-0
14-0
20-0

Shall I continue.....

#Hypocrites
Play Like a Champion Today
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

There's no defending the coach on this one guys and please don't give me the old "kids can't stop competing" speech

Midway through the 2nd period he should have benched his top 6 forwards and his top 2-3 D. Most coaches will do this on scores that are 7-0, let alone 12-0. The fact that their top guys even saw the ice in the 3rd is an embarrassment to the sport

The culture that is being built at Tonka is all what's wrong with High School hockey today (Recruit hard, dominate and F the rest of the world)

I use to cheer for Tonka but the last couple years finds me cheering against them. But you know what, I think the coaches like it that way.

Lots of GREAT people inside the Tonka hockey system. I hope they stand up and see that this is not who they are and not the way they want their program to work in the future. Otherwise don't get upset when 1. It is your kid that loses a jersey to a 12th grade move in from another town and 2. Your 4th line kid (who'd be playing 2nd line had the coach not brought in 6 new forwards that year) still sees limited action in the 3rd period of the next 18-0 game
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

YEP! Back in the 70's when there was still a little sportsmanship in the game, the Roseau line of Neal Broten, Aaron Broten and Butsy Erickson, showered after the 2nd period and sat and watched the 3rd period in several games. No reason to show up your opponent like that.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:42 am
bardown27 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:42 am

I didn't fail to mention anything - your deflection assumes those players have to sit on the bench for the rest of the game.

So again at what point are they supposed to sit players because of a lopsided score? Why should those players have to log 0 TOI over your approved amount of time?
No, but let’s not have the 15th goal being assisted by 2 D1 commits and your 16th assisted by a different D1 commit. Start playing those guys mixed in with your 7-12F and your top two D play w your 5/6 D.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

A little bit off topic but I believe HM once won a game 22-0. Maybe even more. I believe it was in the 80s before they left the St Paul City Conference.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 am A little bit off topic but I believe HM once won a game 22-0. Maybe even more. I believe it was in the 80s before they left the St Paul City Conference.
Yup. Seeing this topic brought back memories of some lopsided Hill scores though the years. Hill was playing Simley, Richfield, Henry Sibley and others twice a year due to conference alignment, and those scores were regularly double-digit to zilch results. I recall the coaches doing what they could to play younger players and call the dogs off. But at some point, there's only so much room on the bench and even the 4th line can't play an entire period or more. Intentionally giving away the puck or refusing to shoot is probably equally insulting to the team getting blown out. Sometimes the talent disparity means scores that feel cringe-worthy like this.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

blueblood wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:58 am There's plenty more from the 20-21 season that include the following game scores:

12-1
10-0
19-2
11-0
14-0
20-0

Shall I continue.....

#Hypocrites
The difference is Maple Grove doesn’t recruit. “Minnetonka” does. And they already have one of the largest youth hockey programs in the state. You do see the difference, right?
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Is STMA really that bad? How is this even possible? More things to note. Tonka puts up 61 shots, ripping 12 in one period and scoring on nearly 50% of shots. So, was the tendy just off? If so, you see 3 rostered yet only one played the entire game. Why no goalie change?

Please don’t tell me it was senior night for STMA…
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

It's all fun and games until you stop winning championships, then the finger pointing starts.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

SpreadOut! wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:28 am

Goldsworthy being run out of town.
Probably Coach of the Year.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:12 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 am A little bit off topic but I believe HM once won a game 22-0. Maybe even more. I believe it was in the 80s before they left the St Paul City Conference.
Yup. Seeing this topic brought back memories of some lopsided Hill scores though the years. Hill was playing Simley, Richfield, Henry Sibley and others twice a year due to conference alignment, and those scores were regularly double-digit to zilch results. I recall the coaches doing what they could to play younger players and call the dogs off. But at some point, there's only so much room on the bench and even the 4th line can't play an entire period or more. Intentionally giving away the puck or refusing to shoot is probably equally insulting to the team getting blown out. Sometimes the talent disparity means scores that feel cringe-worthy like this.

In 2004, the Section 8 first round score: Moorhead 27, Monticello 0. (Just to keep the outrageous scores discussion going) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

TTpuckster wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:19 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:12 am

In 2004, the Section 8 first round score: Moorhead 27, Monticello 0. (Just to keep the outrageous scores discussion going) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ooof. That stings. I went back and took a peek at some of the old Hill scores. They beat STA 19-0, I saw a 21-1 and a few 15-0 scores scattered in. There was a 3 game stretch where they won something like 14-0, 15-0, 12-0. Rude 8)
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Since the 1997-98 season, heading into this season, there were 12 games with a margin of 20 or more goals. Four of those were playoff games. Two teams were involved in two or more of those games--both on the losing end. No single team won more than one game by 20+ goals.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
High Heat

Post by High Heat »

Serious question here.

Is it really Goldsworthy recruiting or more the fact that Breakaway Academy is near by and run by Andy Brink (Who coaches at Minnetonka at the Peewee AA Level, Also the Bantam AA coach is a Breakaway employee). Seems like a nice little feeder system.

I just wonder how much that plays a bigger part.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

In the 80's there were some very lopsided scores between Hill and some of their City Conference opponents. The worst were against Central. It was often 18 to 20 goals for Hill, and Central would either get shut out, or score once or twice. At some point, instead of playing each opponent twice, Hill, STA, and Johnson would play each other 3 times (2 pts per game), and they would play Central, Humboldt and Hi Land once (6 pts per game). Harding and Como they'd play twice (3 pts per game). (Closed circuit to the SEC: you can do this too.*)

Terry Skrypek had his team shoot only on their back hands, and then only after 3 passes in the offensive zone. Johnson had a nice team in 83-84. They played Central in the first half of a double header, with Hill playing the second game. Skry watched in disgust as the Govies padded their stats against the hapless Minutemen, their starters running up the score.

Yes, there is only so much a coach can do. But there are things, long and short term, that a coach can do, if he understands sportsmanship.

*Here's an idea: WBL and Stillwater can meet 3 times, the 3rd match at Aldrich in mid-February. Ramsey County Parks will rent that shed to anyone willing to pay the freight. Hell, I don't know why those two don't play every one of their games there.
Hockey Is For Everyone
yesiplayedhockey

I think the head coach from Tonka still thinks he's coaching at the college level and recruiting is just part of his job...But with that, I guarantee you hockey schools have A LOT to do with parents getting together and planning these all star teams.

If you are a parent who's kid lost a jersey to a recruit you really have two options..

1. Get over it...it's just a silly kids sport

2. Do this....Find out where all these recruits lived last year...And what house/apartment they claim to be living in this year. Camp out at both houses in the early morning. Take photos of which house the kids are leaving for school and the parents are leaving for work. Send these photos/videos to the MSHSL, your school admin and post it all over social media. I guarantee you more often than not, these families are still living in their old houses and are just using their new address as a front to get around the transfer rules.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

yesiplayedhockey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:22 am I think the head coach from Tonka still thinks he's coaching at the college level and recruiting is just part of his job...But with that, I guarantee you hockey schools have A LOT to do with parents getting together and planning these all star teams.

If you are a parent who's kid lost a jersey to a recruit you really have two options..

1. Get over it...it's just a silly kids sport

2. Do this....Find out where all these recruits lived last year...And what house/apartment they claim to be living in this year. Camp out at both houses in the early morning. Take photos of which house the kids are leaving for school and the parents are leaving for work. Send these photos/videos to the MSHSL, your school admin and post it all over social media. I guarantee you more often than not, these families are still living in their old houses and are just using their new address as a front to get around the transfer rules.
lol at #2. I’m going to start writing that as a horror screenplay. Obsessive hockey parent goes too far…
yesiplayedhockey

Brodz

Who's obsessive?

1. The parent for wanting to bust a family for cheating the system? Keep in mind in some cases these parents see this firsthand that the family never moved as they live in the same old neighborhood as the cheating family and see them coming and going like its no big deal

2. The parent(s) who send their kid to a hockey school and rent a house/apt the next town over just to beat the system. Then dear old dad convinces his family they have to lie to their friends the entire year by saying they "really did move" and the reason they moved was for the "education"
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

High Heat wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:09 pm Serious question here.

Is it really Goldsworthy recruiting or more the fact that Breakaway Academy is near by and run by Andy Brink (Who coaches at Minnetonka at the Peewee AA Level, Also the Bantam AA coach is a Breakaway employee). Seems like a nice little feeder system.

I just wonder how much that plays a bigger part.
Unless someone can provide some other info I actually think Brink is one of the good ones. Initially what he and Dave set out to do was what they thought was a better option. I actually think Brink was more invested in the CC association and was heavily involved. Of course at that time, BA was only based out of CC and with the new campus(es) they are not the same school/program they once were. When they started it was super exclusive with nearly all being D1 talent kids whereas now it’s more of a put my kid in and expect them to get better, when in reality they’re C and B2 level kids. They’ve also just opened the doors to nearly everyone and their recent announcement of having a campus on the East Coast further proves this (although I bet there are some talented kids out there)…

I’m sure there’s some of this going on at BA, but don’t think that’s what the problem is at the HS level in Tonka…