Best hockey shop

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

new2hockey

Best hockey shop

Post by new2hockey »

What is the best place in Minnesota to buy hockey equipment? (best selection, best prices) I know I can just shop online. But, I'd rather support the local economy.
"Yeah, whatever. I just want to play hockey."
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Hockey Giant

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Lily Braden

Post by Lily Braden »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Hockey Giant

You know, I'm not a huge fan of Hockey Giant....but that's based on one incident and I'm probably ticked at the wrong people.

My small, peewee son came home with a very expensive, very large goalie stick. Large as in, appropriate for an NHL player who is 6'7". Since he taped and used it before I saw it, there was no returning it. Plus, he got it in his head that it was lucky. (since he could barely pick it up off the ice, it was not).

Yes, there was an adult with him. His father...who happens to be married to me. And who actually played hockey so I have no idea what was going on in his brain. Obviously, one too many pucks to the head.

Long story to get to this point. Why didn't a salesperson point out that "hey kid, that stick's too big for you. plus, it's probably illegal."
We ended up getting a different stick, somewhere else. The fancy, big stick is gathering dust in the garage, waiting for our son to grow several feet and get a pro contract. Though, more likely it will be used to put up lights on the Christmas tree.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Lily Braden wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Hockey Giant

You know, I'm not a huge fan of Hockey Giant....but that's based on one incident and I'm probably ticked at the wrong people.

My small, peewee son came home with a very expensive, very large goalie stick. Large as in, appropriate for an NHL player who is 6'7". Since he taped and used it before I saw it, there was no returning it. Plus, he got it in his head that it was lucky. (since he could barely pick it up off the ice, it was not).

Yes, there was an adult with him. His father...who happens to be married to me. And who actually played hockey so I have no idea what was going on in his brain. Obviously, one too many pucks to the head.

Long story to get to this point. Why didn't a salesperson point out that "hey kid, that stick's too big for you. plus, it's probably illegal."
We ended up getting a different stick, somewhere else. The fancy, big stick is gathering dust in the garage, waiting for our son to grow several feet and get a pro contract. Though, more likely it will be used to put up lights on the Christmas tree.
Lily, goaltender :!: :?:
What were you guys thinking... :idea:

I like Hockey Giant for the convenience of selection, but support going to the local neighborhood/city hockey shops, that have good selection as well...
Steichens on N Rice St
Westwood Sports in Bloomington & Apple Valley
Letterman Sports in Blaine & Plymouth
Daves Sports Shop - many shops
Hat Trick Hockey in Anoka :D Owned by Friends...

Lily, you and the hubby should really consider Dman for the next Peewee... :wink:
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

Daves in Fridley,talk to Jesse :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Letterman Sports in Blaine & Plymouth
Won`t deal...no more goalie equipment at the Blaine store :roll:
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

Hockey Zone Minnesota in Waite Park is pretty legit. Stewart's is my favorite local place, though.
HOUNDS
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

I like hockey giant great bargins
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Lucia4President wrote:Hockey Zone Minnesota in Waite Park is pretty legit. Stewart's is my favorite local place, though.
A shoutout to Waite Park...you don't see those everyday.
The U invented swagger.
daffy duck

Post by daffy duck »

Cheack out General Sports in Edina, MN
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

Hockey Zone in Blaine and Dave's Sports Shop in Fridley get my votes.

Hockey Giant tried to sell my son (and me) hockey skates that were two sizes too big for him, plus the manager asked me if my son was my grandson. I took my son to Dave's and they properly fitted him for his skates. I also special ordered a hockey helmet through Hockey Giant and it never arrived. The Hockey Giant manager kept giving me the run-a-round. Finally, I ordered the helmet through Dave's and it arrived within days of placing the order.
DMom

Post by DMom »

Forest Lake Cycle and Skate opening a larger store attached to the arena in Forest Lake. Great local family, very supportive of youth sports.
mngopher

Post by mngopher »

Daves in Fridley,talk to Jesse Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I have been to Dave's sport shop in Fridley, and i agree...its very nice

Since we are talking about the best hockey shops, i'm going to have to say Clafton's skate in Grand Rapids is right up there with the best. They have a good selection of hockey equipment as well as a very friendly and knowledgeable staff