Mercy Rule

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bronx18

Mercy Rule

Post by bronx18 »

After the recent 22-0 win for Virginia against Silver Bay, many people seemed to be upset by such the huge deficit. Do you think there should be a mercy rule enforced? If so, by what score? If not, why?[/img]
canttouchthis

Post by canttouchthis »

Yes...6+ goal differential have the game in running time. 10+ call the game.
TuckerMax93

Re: Mercy Rule

Post by TuckerMax93 »

bronx18 wrote:After the recent 22-0 win for Virginia against Silver Bay, many people seemed to be upset by such the huge deficit. Do you think there should be a mercy rule enforced? If so, by what score? If not, why?[/img]
There already is a mercy rule. If a team is leading by 6 or more goals in the third period there will be running time until the deficit is less than 6 goals.

Should that rule be extended to the second period? I.e. If a team is winning by 8 goals in the second should the clock start running?
We're here. We're there. We're everywhere.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

TuckerMax93 wrote:
bronx18 wrote:After the recent 22-0 win for Virginia against Silver Bay, many people seemed to be upset by such the huge deficit. Do you think there should be a mercy rule enforced? If so, by what score? If not, why?[/img]
There already is a mercy rule. If a team is leading by 6 or more goals in the third period there will be running time until the deficit is less than 6 goals.

Should that rule be extended to the second period? I.e. If a team is winning by 8 goals in the second should the clock start running?
That would be a great idea. But never, ever call the game...
defense

Post by defense »

TuckerMax93 wrote:

No. Leave it as it is. Everyone is human. Everyone will get knocked down. Let the jerks be jerks if they must be jerks.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

TuckerMax93 wrote:

Let kids play the game. I've never been a fan of the run time rule. And don't try to pull the "its embarrassing for the losing team and they just want the game to be over." i've been on that side before all the way up to bantams and honestly i just wanted to play the game. at a certain point it doesnt become about the scorebord, i would just go out there and try to win the battle because at least i could be proud about that. As soon as you get to run time it just feels worse because it says you aren't worth the full time to play the entire game. In my opinion thats more degrading than the final score.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I don't think there should be any mercy rule. You only get 25 games, now we shorten the amount of time players get to play. This could be more playing time for 3-4 line players.
bronx18

Post by bronx18 »

canttouchthis wrote:Yes...6+ goal differential have the game in running time. 10+ call the game.
I like this idea, as well as the 8 goal rule, but what about the teams that travel 2+ hours just to get to the game? I'm sure they don't want to travel that far just to play 1 period.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Let em play. If they get beat 22-0 well then they obviously have a lot to work on so let em work on it!
EP two out of three.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Baseball and softball have a run rule, but does any other high school sport have a mercy rule? I've seen some basketball and wrestling scores that are equivilant to the 22-0 score.
R1nk Rat 174

Post by R1nk Rat 174 »

It would be more embarassing for a team to have their game ended early because of getting beaten that bad. Than just playing the game out..
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Well in baseball games there is no time limit so they kinda have to put a stop to it at some point. The 10 run rule in baseball is pretty fair but it wouldn't work in hockey.
EP two out of three.
DotaDangler

Post by DotaDangler »

I played varsity baseball and hockey, and I am in favor of a mercy rule for hockey. If a team is up by 10 going into the third period, or goes up by 10 in the third period, call the game. That way your guaranteed two periods of play.

Obviously the reason for the 10-run rule in baseball is because baseball games don't have a time constraint. a 21-out game could last 4 hours without a mercy rule.
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin
bronx18

Post by bronx18 »

DotaDangler wrote:I played varsity baseball and hockey, and I am in favor of a mercy rule for hockey. If a team is up by 10 going into the third period, or goes up by 10 in the third period, call the game. That way your guaranteed two periods of play.

Obviously the reason for the 10-run rule in baseball is because baseball games don't have a time constraint. a 21-out game could last 4 hours without a mercy rule.
I think this idea may actually work
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

The ten-goal rule was in place in the 80's and it was awful. Many games ended at the close of the second period.

Let them play with a running clock in the third period. It goes by fast anyway.
goldygopherpuck33

Post by goldygopherpuck33 »

Yes if the score is a 10 plus difference then they should stop the game.
bigtimescout

Post by bigtimescout »

running time anytime there is an 8 goal deficit.
Ufeelshame

Post by Ufeelshame »

I think let them finish the game. The running time rule works in most instantces and if some coach wants to run up the score he/she will. When I clicked on this link I thought it might be related to the Hill Murray v. MV game. :D :D :D :D
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

hawkhockey wrote:
TuckerMax93 wrote:

Let kids play the game. I've never been a fan of the run time rule. And don't try to pull the "its embarrassing for the losing team and they just want the game to be over." i've been on that side before all the way up to bantams and honestly i just wanted to play the game. at a certain point it doesnt become about the scorebord, i would just go out there and try to win the battle because at least i could be proud about that. As soon as you get to run time it just feels worse because it says you aren't worth the full time to play the entire game. In my opinion thats more degrading than the final score.
I have seen so many situations like this. In sub-varsity basketball games refs will often ask the coach of the losing team if they can just play running time. It's pretty insulting to the kids who are there because they want to play.
mulefarm wrote:Baseball and softball have a run rule, but does any other high school sport have a mercy rule? I've seen some basketball and wrestling scores that are equivilant to the 22-0 score.
HockeyMN1 wrote:Well in baseball games there is no time limit so they kinda have to put a stop to it at some point. The 10 run rule in baseball is pretty fair but it wouldn't work in hockey.
HockeyMN1 basically said what I was going to say. A game with an amazing baseball team playing a team that sucks could theoretically never end as there is no clock. It is unfortunate to do, but that's the situation.
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Terrible idea to end a game early, it it was up to me i'd get rid of the running time as well. What is the biggest perceived problem with MN HS Hockey? Kids leaving early to play juniors or NTDP. Why do they do it? To get more games is a big reason. Now we don't even want to let the kids finish the measly 25 games they get? Horrible idea.
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

if u win by 15+ goals the coach should be suspended for the rest of the season, its poor sportsmanship, and to be blunt virginia deserves to get their sh!t packed after their little stunt with silver bay, but another 0-2 at state will be a good start for them
nickmon3

Post by nickmon3 »

I dont think there should be any kind of "mercy" rule, but I think the coach should have enough sense to know when to "call off the dogs."
The fighting team has a hockey problem
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

nickmon3 wrote:I dont think there should be any kind of "mercy" rule, but I think the coach should have enough sense to know when to "call off the dogs."
obviously he didnt, gotta love the coaches who want their own kids to have the scoring record for the state or school...
dirtracing17

Post by dirtracing17 »

after a team has a seven goal lead. no more points or goals can be counted. score as many as you want but they wont be counted
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

dirtracing17 wrote:after a team has a seven goal lead. no more points or goals can be counted. score as many as you want but they wont be counted
Puleeze... 6 goal lead in 3rd works 99% of time. The other 1% is just the part of life you learn to live with.