All Metro Boys Hockey Team Selected

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

All Metro Boys Hockey Team Selected

Post by breakout »

Congrats to those selected, especially the top six. Tough choices for the voters.

Congrats to Nick Bjugstad for being selected strib metro player of the year.

Should Joey Benik feel slighted for being selected as a 2nd team forward?

Should we look to the voting as a sneak peak into what might happen at Sunday's Mr. Hockey award presentation?

Can this year's metro player of the year lead his team to a State Championship like last years?

Lots of questions, looking for answers.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Can someone post the teams, please??
scarface

Post by scarface »

Goldfishdude wrote:Can someone post the teams, please??
Courtesy of the Star Tribune:

All-metro boys' hockey first team, from left:

Bodhi Engum, Burnsville;
Joe Faust, Bloomington Jefferson;
Nick Bjugstad, Blaine;
Justin Holl, Minnetonka;
Kyle Rau, Eden Prairie;
Max Gardiner, Minnetonka.

2nd Team

FORWARDS
Caleb Herbert, Bloomington Jefferson, senior: Top-end speed led to 30 goals and 32 assists.

Joey Benik, St. Francis, senior:

Has 119 goals in two seasons.

Cal Decowski, Andover, senior:

The best player in school history is headed to Minnesota Duluth.

DEFENSE
Ben Marshall, Mahtomedi, junior: Future Gopher led the Zephyrs to a state tournament berth.

Andrew Prochno, Minnetonka, senior: Anchored the Skippers' unparalleled D-corps.

GOALIE
Alex Fons, Hopkins, senior: Posted a 91 percent save percentage despite heavy shot totals.

THIRD TEAM
FORWARDS
Archie Skalbeck, Hopkins, senior

Tyson Fulton, Breck, senior

Christian Isackson, St. Thomas Academy, senior

Tyler Heinonen, Delano/Rockford, junior

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Casto, Hill-Murray, senior

Brett Stern, Centennial, senior

Troy Hesketh, Minnetonka, senior

GOALIE
Aaron Davis, Mound-Westonka, senior
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Wow!! Congrats to Aaron Davis as 3rd team..

I remember when a thread was started concerning him, someone posted thinking it was Davis himself!!! :D

It's great that the voters recognized a kid not from the best program.
wbmd

Re: All Metro Boys Hockey Team Selected

Post by wbmd »

breakout wrote:Should Joey Benik feel slighted for being selected as a 2nd team forward?
Nope. It's about right where he belongs.
breakout

Post by breakout »

wbmd wrote:
breakout wrote:Should Joey Benik feel slighted for being selected as a 2nd team forward?
I think you are right on that.

Can Bjugstad lead his team to a State Championship? This is his second swing at it.
eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 »

CAN he? Yes. WILL he? Maybe...
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Congrats to all those young men. Rosters seem to be filled with west metro players. We need to pick it up over on the east end of town.[Not one player from SEC?]
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

old goalie85 wrote:Congrats to all those young men. Rosters seem to be filled with west metro players. We need to pick it up over on the east end of town.[Not one player from SEC?]
The Forest Lake boys were ignored simply because you boys do not fall inside the 494/694 beltway. :lol:
No Dan Fick on the team...COME ON!! Should have put him on the CCM All Star team as he is after all a SENIOR and darn good one at that. :wink:
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

I think Ben Marshall should've made the All-Metro team.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

muckandgrind wrote:I think Ben Marshall should've made the All-Metro team.
He did. The 2nd team.
codemanh

Post by codemanh »

nope. i think Benik is right where he belongs. he didn't look all that good when i watched him play Princeton. he had one assist in 1-1 tie but other wise was shut down. he fast... that was about it.
High_Plains_Dangler

Post by High_Plains_Dangler »

wbmd wrote:
I think Benik should be ecstatic to be on the second team. There are plenty of other forwards that should of made it ahead of him. Also, Shaughnessy or Kruger should of had the third spot for Goalies instead of Davis.
Relax, Take it slow, and Let the Good Times Roll
blueblood

3rd team goalie?

Post by blueblood »

krueger and meyers are both worthy candidates along with the breck goalie...
Play Like a Champion Today
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

High_Plains_Dangler wrote:
wbmd wrote:
I think Benik should be ecstatic to be on the second team. There are plenty of other forwards that should of made it ahead of him. Also, Shaughnessy or Kruger should of had the third spot for Goalies instead of Davis.
Your answer WOULD be the same IF Holl, Rau, or Faust came out of St Francis. I wonder how much merit Anders Lee would of recieved if he had stayed playing for them :idea: :roll:
Davis should have been on the first team....... best players not the best teams
oldmansundays123

Post by oldmansundays123 »

Heres an oddity-- Blue Liner Mark Alt named Mr. Hockey Finalist but does not make any all-metro teams. strange world
toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
wbmd wrote: Nope. It's about right where he belongs.
Your answer WOULD be the same IF Holl, Rau, or Faust came out of St Francis. I wonder how much merit Anders Lee would of recieved if he had stayed playing for them :idea: :roll:
Well Benik could've showcased his supposed great talent in the elite league, but did he? No. The entire first team has shown how well they can play against and how they compare to some of the best players/teams in MN. And did you see that Burnsville goalie play the second half of the season? The kid was unreal. He's completely deserving.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

MrBoDangles wrote:I wonder how much merit Anders Lee would of recieved if he had stayed playing for them :idea: :roll:
Anders Lee graduated last year. He didn't leave early.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

oldmansundays123 wrote:Heres an oddity-- Blue Liner Mark Alt named Mr. Hockey Finalist but does not make any all-metro teams. strange world
I bet he will make pioneer press 1st team.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

mulefarm wrote:
oldmansundays123 wrote:Heres an oddity-- Blue Liner Mark Alt named Mr. Hockey Finalist but does not make any all-metro teams. strange world
I personally hope he doesn't.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

wbmd wrote:
Shaughnessy had an average of 18 shots a game and a .919 Save%. That is NOT worthy of All-Metro.
Krueger had an average of 24 shots a game and a .933 Save%. That could be worthy of All-Metro.

But look at Aaron Davis' numbers... Averaged 35 shots a game with a .948 Save% and a 1.82 GAA and 4 shutouts Are you kidding me!? That's worthy of 1st team All-Metro! He had 800 shots this season!! He is the only reason Mound finished with the record they did.

He is much more deserving than Krueger and WAY more deserving than Shaughnessy...
deanertronterry

Post by deanertronterry »

wbmd wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
I personally hope he doesn't.
No Jeff Pauluk seems more surprising to me. 52 points. C'mon.
High_Plains_Dangler

fivehole628 wrote:
Shaughnessy had an average of 18 shots a game and a .919 Save%. That is NOT worthy of All-Metro.
Krueger had an average of 24 shots a game and a .933 Save%. That could be worthy of All-Metro.

But look at Aaron Davis' numbers... Averaged 35 shots a game with a .948 Save% and a 1.82 GAA and 4 shutouts Are you kidding me!? That's worthy of 1st team All-Metro! He had 800 shots this season!! He is the only reason Mound finished with the record they did.

He is much more deserving than Krueger and WAY more deserving than Shaughnessy...
Okay, Davis may be more deserving than Shaughnessy. But Krueger? In Davis' defense he didn't exactly have the greatest team in front of him. However, you can't overlook the HUGE wins that Krueger picked up over the course of the season. There is a strong supporting cast, but when you play one of the toughest schedules in the state and put up numbers like that I think he deserves it. As far as Davis being the only reason Mound finished as good as they did this year, I would agree with you. However, All-Metro is intended for the best players in the area. After seeing both of these goalies play, I think Krueger is better. He may not have the numbers Davis does, but he also played top notch competition year round.
I don't want to take anything away from Davis on a great season, thats just my opinion.
Last edited by High_Plains_Dangler on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High_Plains_Dangler

MrBoDangles wrote:
You can't even tell me you think Joey Benik is even close with Holl, Rau, or Faust. If you put Benik in the Classic Lake or Lake I bet he puts up maybe 30 points.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

fivehole628 wrote:
High_Plains_Dangler wrote: I think Benik should be ecstatic to be on the second team. There are plenty of other forwards that should of made it ahead of him. Also, Shaughnessy or Kruger should of had the third spot for Goalies instead of Davis.

Okay, Davis may be more deserving than Shaughnessy. But Krueger? In Davis' defense he didn't exactly have the greatest team in front of him. However, you can't overlook the HUGE wins that Krueger picked up over the course of the season. There is a strong supporting cast, but when you play one of the toughest schedules in the state and put up numbers like that I think he deserves it. As far as Davis being the only reason Mound finished as good as they did this year, I would agree with you. However, All-Metro is intended for the best players in the area. After seeing both of these goalies play, I think Krueger is better. He may not have the numbers Davis does, but he also played top notch competition year round.
I don't want to take anything away from Davis on a great season
thats just my opinion.
I understand what your saying
Davis shut out Virginia, Faribault, Lourdes and Cathedral. Those are some pretty darn good teams.