Hill Murray Pioneers

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Pioneerprideguy

Hill Murray Pioneers

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Congrats to the girls & coaches. The program has been climbing the past few years and nice to take that next step. Good luck at State & enjoy the experience!
Sparlimb

Re: Hill Murray Pioneers

Post by Sparlimb »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Congrats to the girls & coaches. The program has been climbing the past few years and nice to take that next step. Good luck at State & enjoy the experience!
First section title ever for HM and they had to go through the state's most brutal section to make it. 2nd win ever over Roseville and for once, we were the better team out there although the game was mostly even. What can you say, Hannah Brandt was the difference again, and Mckeever was solid in goal. Can't wait to see some more hockey from them this week. Congrats girls!
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

Hannah brandt is a very good player and person.. know some people that are her neighbor
2012 pond hockey All Star
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

I'm afraid HM might not even be seeded at state, or at best #4.

For sure we'll have:

#1: Minnetonka
#2: Edina
#3: Lakeville South
#4: HM or Coon Rapids...

Well checking schedules on Hokcey Hub, HM clearly played a harder schedule. CR did lost to Lakeville South who HM beat, so I'd put HM at #4...
goalzilla

Post by goalzilla »

Congratulations HM great group of kids who always play hard. Rooting for you all especially the kids from Stillwater who play for HM. Good luck, one game at a time........
iceage

Post by iceage »

Sparlimb wrote:I'm afraid HM might not even be seeded at state, or at best #4.

For sure we'll have:

Well checking schedules on Hokcey Hub, HM clearly played a harder schedule. CR did lost to Lakeville South who HM beat, so I'd put HM at #4...
And when Hill murray beat Lakeville South (in the Edina Tournament) it was without Hannah Brandt. I would put HM at #3. Winning Section 4AA has not been an easy task in the past few years.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

iceage wrote:

For sure we'll have:

And when Hill murray beat Lakeville South (in the Edina Tournament) it was without Hannah Brandt. I would put HM at #3. Winning Section 4AA has not been an easy task in the past few years.
Lakeville South has 2 losses only (HM has 7) and as I recall, the win had more to do with a HM goalie standing on her head. That is from what I heard. I can't see HM being seeded ahead of them, despite coming out of the toughest section in the state.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

For sure we'll have:

KRACH strength of schedule....CR #16, HM #36
Homer

Post by Homer »

I think that Strength of schedule might be a little skewed. Hill probably had one of the toughest nonconference schedules, coupled with an easy conference schedule. I would say C.R. probably had more teams grouped in the middle, not as much in the top 10 as HM.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Homer wrote:I think that Strength of schedule might be a little skewed. Hill probably had one of the toughest nonconference schedules, coupled with an easy conference schedule. I would say C.R. probably had more teams grouped in the middle, not as much in the top 10 as HM.
Problem was, other than Lakeville South, Hill didn't beat any of those teams. 2 losses to Edina, loss to Tonka, loss to BSM, loss to Warroad, loss to SSP...

Well that is, until sections. The girls are playing some really good hockey right now and they'll get their chance to show it. I like the black Jersey's anyway, so we'll get to keep seeing them...
hockey_rocker

Post by hockey_rocker »

Sparlimb wrote:
Homer wrote:I think that Strength of schedule might be a little skewed. Hill probably had one of the toughest nonconference schedules, coupled with an easy conference schedule. I would say C.R. probably had more teams grouped in the middle, not as much in the top 10 as HM.
Problem was, other than Lakeville South, Hill didn't beat any of those teams. 2 losses to Edina, loss to Tonka, loss to BSM, loss to Warroad, loss to SSP...

Well that is, until sections. The girls are playing some really good hockey right now and they'll get their chance to show it. I like the black Jersey's anyway, so we'll get to keep seeing them...
I think they should wear their real colors. Orange and Black...Good luck HM/WBL girls were still proud if you.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

hockey_rocker wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:

I think they should wear their real colors. Orange and Black...Good luck HM/WBL girls were still proud if you.
I don't know all the players but from their roster on the site

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster/ ... ason=41339

Ali McKeever , Woodbury
Taylor Zarembinski , White Bear
Mikayla Curtis , Stillwater
Grace Dwyer , Woodbury
Megan Pellino , Cottage Grove
Margo Lund , Highland relocated to White Bear
Sarah Bobrowski , New Richmond, WI
Kennedy Houge , Woodbury?
Brittney Anderson , Hudson, WI
Kailee Thompson , DK?
Brooke Freeberg , Roseville
Brittney Cusick , Mahtomedi
Samantha Boyer , Highland area?
Sydney Fabian , Lake Elmo/Woodbury
Tory Heller , Cottage Grove/Woodbury
Hannah Brandt , Vadnais Heights/White Bear
Bailey Link , Hudson WI
Lindsey Klein , DK?
Saydie Long , Stillwater
Marissa Brandt , Vadnais Heights/White Bear
Jenny Magill , Stillwater
Paige Freeberg , Roseville
Erin Maguire , White Bear
hckynut12

Post by hckynut12 »

I think Klein and McGuire are both from Moundsview
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

hockey_rocker wrote:
Sparlimb wrote:

I wonder if the WBL girls this year all remembered to thank the HM girls that left so there were extra roster spots on a top 10 WBL team. That's what private schools do, give more opportunities for girl's to play high school hockey. Not sure why you'd be against that. This being Hill's first ever state tournament birth, no one can argue they are some dominating team. Roseville and WBL were very young this year and should be even better next. Truth is, this section is loaded and I don't see that changing. Hill should be pretty darn good again next year, but that still might only be good enough to get a #4 seed...
jumpstart

Post by jumpstart »

[quote="Sparlimb] I wonder if the WBL girls this year all remembered to thank the HM girls that left so there were extra roster spots on a top 10 WBL team. That's what private schools do, give more opportunities for girl's to play high school hockey. Not sure why you'd be against that.[/quote]

1. I’m sure the WBL girls that were part of two U12A back-to-back state championships, and a third U14A state championship appearance with the girls who decided to go to HM will rush right out and thank the HM girls for leaving them for a private school that knocks them out of competition every year in sections.

2. I’m also sure that the families that decided to go to HM thought, gee, if I leave, I will be providing a spot for another WBL girl to play varsity hockey.

My response to both … hogwash! Obviously, Sparlimb, you have not been on the other side of the coin – I suggest you think about it from a WBL player’s perspective before you make any more silly comments.

Having said that, I will also say that families make decisions to attend private and public schools based on a number of reasons, all personal and frankly none of anyone else’s business. My gripe is not with the WBL girls going to HM. My gripe is with those that set up the section play. Section 4AA is without question the hardest section in the state. A couple of years ago, someone had a chance to correct this but failed to do so. Therefore, every year, 3 top 10 teams are eliminated from state competition simply because only 1 team comes out of Section 4AA.

I say to the HM families: Good luck at State. The reason you are there is because of Hannah Brandt, who is a phenomenal player. Anyone lucky enough to play with Hannah on her team should be thankful for the experience and ride that wave as far as it will take you.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Next year this section will be just as tough as WBL, Roseville, Hill-Murray and Stillwater will all be very good again. Congrats to Hill-Murray for going this year they are a strong representative for the section. When Stillwater won the state title in 09' they were the 3 seed in section 4AA.
Homer

Post by Homer »

joehockey wrote:
hockey_rocker wrote:
Sparlimb wrote: Problem was, other than Lakeville South, Hill didn't beat any of those teams. 2 losses to Edina, loss to Tonka, loss to BSM, loss to Warroad, loss to SSP...

I don't know all the players but from their roster on the site

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/roster/ ... ason=41339

Ali McKeever , Woodbury
Taylor Zarembinski , White Bear
Mikayla Curtis , Stillwater
Grace Dwyer , Woodbury
Megan Pellino , Cottage Grove
Margo Lund , Highland relocated to White Bear
Sarah Bobrowski , New Richmond, WI
Kennedy Houge , Woodbury?
Brittney Anderson , Hudson, WI
Kailee Thompson , DK?
Brooke Freeberg , Roseville
Brittney Cusick , Mahtomedi
Samantha Boyer , Highland area?
Sydney Fabian , Lake Elmo/Woodbury
Tory Heller , Cottage Grove/Woodbury
Hannah Brandt , Vadnais Heights/White Bear
Bailey Link , Hudson WI
Lindsey Klein , DK?
Saydie Long , Stillwater
Marissa Brandt , Vadnais Heights/White Bear
Jenny Magill , Stillwater
Paige Freeberg , Roseville
Erin Maguire , White Bear
Nice work Joe, I get tired of the WBL whiners. Just because they played for the association, which only three did, doesn't mean WB owns their rights. To be honest I think all three girls actually live in Vadnais. A stones throw from the Mounds View line.

It looks like the Woodbury people should be more upset.

I was sitting in a restaurant, the other day and overheard 2 WBL dads, ripping HM for not having a community support them or their own rink. It seems to me that WBL didn't build the new rink, Vadnais did, so now neither varsity team in WBL actually play in WBL.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Really proud of the Pioneers effort tonight against Edina. They needed a couple of bounce to go their way and they didn't get them. Edina is ranked #2 in state for a reason and showed why all night. Can't wait to see Hannah again next year...
Bullgod

Post by Bullgod »

I gotta agree w/ spar. Great game, HM had a few missed bounces but played as well or better then Edina for most of the game.

I would have to put loss on line matches/coaching. Both goals came when Reber was going against 2nd line.
iceage

Post by iceage »

Bullgod wrote:I gotta agree w/ spar. Great game, HM had a few missed bounces but played as well or better then Edina for most of the game.

I would have to put loss on line matches/coaching. Both goals came when Reber was going against 2nd line.
The Edina goalie (Dahl I believe) was the one who beat HM. HM had more shots and more importantly more scoring chances. HM played well enough to win and outplayed Edina for most of the game from my viewpoint but congrats to both teams on a game woth watching.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Nice job ladies. The effort was there and you played a wonderful game. Edina is a solid team and made the plays when they needed them. Good luck this afternoon and hope you can bring home some hardware!
joehockey

Hannah Brandt

Post by joehockey »

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/201 ... roster.doc

Wow what a list of forwards that Hannah Brandt has a chance to tryout out with!
jumpstart

Re: Hannah Brandt

Post by jumpstart »

joehockey wrote:http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/201 ... roster.doc

Wow what a list of forwards that Hannah Brandt has a chance to tryout out with!
Nice article from USA Hockey:

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usaho ... &id=299646
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

So can't find the 2011-12 Roster how does the Team look? Should have a strong Junior and Senior class - what is the goalie situation?
MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

joehockey wrote:So can't find the 2011-12 Roster how does the Team look? Should have a strong Junior and Senior class - what is the goalie situation?
It's not on the Hockey Hub yet, but it's on the MSHSL website:
http://mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpage.as ... school=214