Armstrong Upset Over EP

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockeyfan01

Armstrong Upset Over EP

Post by Hockeyfan01 »

Armstrong upsets #7 ranked EP in 6AA quarterfinals 2-1
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

That's why we play the games. 8)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The only thing Armstrong had going was the goaltender that stood on his head! When you get outshot 50 to 16 and win 2-1...you know the tender had a great game. The kid played brilliantly and stole that game. EP has been banged up - Big time as everyone knows. But 50 shots, Is 50 Shots and he made atleast 8 to 10 game saving saves.

It sucks for my beloved Eagles, but as PuckGuy said - Thats why we play the games.
mn man

Post by mn man »

50 shots to 15. EP can not blame injuries or sickness, but they can point to Michael Greenberg (goalie for Armstrong) who won the game for his team. This was an unfortunate end for a team that surprised many through the year, little to no varsity experience coming into the year. They played well all year, including last night, just couldn't overcome a hot goalie and a slew of pipes. That is something that is bound to happen to a couple of teams in single elim playoff hockey, unfortunately for the EP faithful. Definitely not one of the most disappointing teams of the season though.
Last edited by mn man on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

First off I want to congratulate Armstrong! They played a great game and did not make things easy for EP. In addition to the 50 shots that made it to the net, their forwards and D blocked a bunch more.

I want to tip my hat to the EP squad and especially the seniors. After losing the 13 seniors from last year's squad, nobody gave them a chance to do much of anything this year. They obviously came together as a team and proved to everyone that they belonged with the elite teams in the state. I wish those seniors nothing but the best going forward, they are a great bunch of kids, and the program is once again in a great place and poised for more year's of success!
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

:shock: Hot Greenberg Stops 49 Beachballs on 50 Shots. :shock:
NICE JOB ARMSTRONG!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Hoc2x21 wrote::shock: Hot Greenberg Stops 49 Beachballs on 50 Shots. :shock:
NICE JOB ARMSTRONG!
Benilde congratulates you also!
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

When was the last time, if ever, the defending AA champion has lost in the first round?
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Puckguy19 wrote:That's why we play the games. 8)
I thought the kids played and we commented on them. :wink:
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Roseauverrated wrote:When was the last time, if ever, the defending AA champion has lost in the first round?
I'm sure it's happened before... Interesting stat to find out!
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

starmvp wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote:When was the last time, if ever, the defending AA champion has lost in the first round?
actually that was the very first time
UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow »

Great season for EP, turned a lot of heads this year and had a great season after losing last year's senior class. Just goes to show how valuable playoff experience is. The regular season is the regular season, for a lot of those kids it was their first section tournament and it's tough to replicate that kind of pressure during the regular season. Best of luck to EP in the future.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

UntouchableFlow wrote:Just goes to show how valuable playoff experience is. The regular season is the regular season, for a lot of those kids it was their first section tournament and it's tough to replicate that kind of pressure during the regular season.
I wouldn't attribute this loss to a lack of playoff experience at all. It seems to me that they thoroughly dominated Armstrong in every aspect of the game except the scoreboard. Looks to me like they just ran into a hot goalie and caught a lot of bad breaks. That kind of stuff happens every now and then, mostly in the regular season. After all, the shots were 50-17. Kudos to Armstrong, it's probably been a long time since they've even won a playoff game. They're probably going to get drilled by Benilde though.
hipcheck

Post by hipcheck »

Goalies, Goalies, Goalies,......Just love it when the goaltending comes to the front. Upsets happen when the underdog goaltender has "his night on the ice". Not much a coach or team can do about it.

Thats why hockey is superior to basketball
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
starmvp wrote:
2001. Blaine lost to Elk River in the 4AA Quarterfinals. Blaine was actually the #8 seed after winning State in 2000.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

DubCHAGuy wrote:
hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
starmvp wrote:I'm sure it's happened before... Interesting stat to find out!
2001. Blaine lost to Elk River in the 4AA Quarterfinals. Blaine was actually the #8 seed after winning State in 2000.
Blaine won a play-in game before they lost their quarterfinal game. So that was their second playoff game.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

Tough loss for EP but they'll be back next year top 5 team for sure for the next 2 seasons with all the underclass talent.
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

Yeah EP deserved the 2 seed...
zyzxx

Post by zyzxx »

eagles137 wrote: next year top 5 team for sure for the next 2 seasons with all the underclass talent.
- If all underclassmen will stay to graduate from EP- I am betting on at least one key player leaving before next season...

- next year incoming class is sparse with a few BA going private.
pitbull

Post by pitbull »

zyzxx wrote:
eagles137 wrote: next year top 5 team for sure for the next 2 seasons with all the underclass talent.
- If all underclassmen will stay to graduate from EP- I am betting on at least one key player leaving before next season...

No EP key player will leave EP, EP keeps adding them! Pajor, Snuggerud,Sullivan, Warner. Wonder who will move in next? :lol:
eagles137

Post by eagles137 »

zyzxx wrote:

Players leaving from EP early isn't going to happen as much like it used too after Rau and Leddy stayed. The feeling among the players is that if we stay will win. It's safe to say both those guys have bright careers in front of them as well.
highschoolhockey2323

Post by highschoolhockey2323 »

It wasn't the way we wanted to go out, but I'm still proud of our Eagles! Thanks guys (Eden Prarie guys) for all the great memories me and my family got to experience playing EP mite, youth, high school, and all other types of hockey! I will cherish them for the rest of my life. Go Eagles!
slyer

Post by slyer »

well said, the years go by very quickly enjoy it while you can