Greenway

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

curtiscurve

Greenway

Post by curtiscurve »

Being from around the area, I have seen Greenway go from life support to now being a team that will be s top team in 7A. From reading the previous topics about the team, a coaching change was needed. Now they have pulled the trigger on that issue, where do they go from here? Rumor mill has Andy Sertich being a name that the Greenway faithful is hoping for. Knowing he played over seas the past few years, has he officially retired? If he is not ready to hang up the skates as a player, where do they plan on going in terms of a coach? Is there someone from the previous staff? Is there someone from the youth ranks? Can they convince Pat Guyer to come out of retirement? Are there any other names floating around out there? Is this a job that is highly sought after or are they going to have trouble filling the position? It would be nice to see the Raiders become relevant and stay that way for a while. Storied tradition with the appearance of a bright future. It will be interesting to see who comes to the surface of potential coaching candidates.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Andy Sertich's name has been floating around as a possible coach. He has a home in Coleraine and his wife is the Greenway softball coach. He has a young son and another kid on the way so maybe that might influence his calling it quits in Europe. Although he has no coaching experience he would definitely be worth the gamble. A class guy who would have instant credibility. No definite word on whether he plans to hang up his skates. Doubtful that Pat Guyer would come out of coaching retirement. The only chance of that happening is if there are no good candidates. I don't see how Greenway can attract anyone outside of the immediate area. Very few job opportunities available that could allow for a decent financial situation. Although it was certainly the right move to look for a new coach, I don't think the Greenway community should forget what "Bird" Lawson did for the program. He was instrumental in keeping Greenway hockey alive. When the superintendent was ready to kill the program and merge with Rapids he was adamant about resurrecting the program. He volunteered to coach and with some great kids fielded a team that year. They barely got a schedule together and took some real beatings. The players that year deserve a big thank you and I hope someday get recognized at a Greenway game.
Puckstper

Post by Puckstper »

Kris miller?
Puckstper

Post by Puckstper »

Rumor mill has it the new head coach will be picked by tomorrow evening. Grant Clafton was the number one canadiate.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Any idea if Kris Miller was interested or not?
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Any news on a hiring yet or are they waiting till Rapids fills their coaching position?
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Looks like Clafton is the new coach at Greenway.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

greenway1969 wrote:Looks like Clafton is the new coach at Greenway.
Hopefully he can lead them to state next year. He was a standout player on some underachieving teams in the late 90's early 2000's for GR.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Was it his grandfather that played goalie for Rapids in the mid-60's?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Not sure, but that sounds right
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

Do the math you young whippersnappers. His dad was the goalie for our mid 70's state championship run. Dan "Chocolate" Clafton.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Wasn't he also the founder/entrepreneur of the short-lived girls program called "The Crunch"?
offtheglas

Post by offtheglas »

Who will step up in the program to be asst coaches?
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Heard that an assistant was hired and he is a Bemidji State grad but didn't catch the name. Also heard no Greenway guy applied for the job. Also, Taylor Lanz has fully recovered from his injury and is planning to play hockey in the fall (he's not going to play football or baseball).
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Greenway has lost the player who would probably have centered their second line. He was injured in football. He is expected back by the end of December.
BP

Post by BP »

greenway1969 wrote:Greenway has lost the player who would probably have centered their second line. He was injured in football. He is expected back by the end of December.

Saw on LPH site a big scrimmage fest in Virginia tomorrow. You going and will you be giving updates on all the teams??
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I won't be able to make those scrimmages.
BP

Post by BP »

greenway1969 wrote:I won't be able to make those scrimmages.

Any reports on Greenway's scrimmages yesterday?
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

No word on the scrimmages, but I have heard that more than one senior was cut. Haven't seen the final roster yet.
BP

Post by BP »

greenway1969 wrote:No word on the scrimmages, but I have heard that more than one senior was cut. Haven't seen the final roster yet.
I heard tonight they lost to SPA 3-2 and Minnehaha Academy 4-1, but took it to Dodge County and Litchfield.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Thanks. Not bad results. Always hard to tell how the play was unless you witness the scrimmage in person.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

What a change a year makes. Looks like Greenway hit the jackpot in hiring Clafton. I hardly recognized the team.

1. Consistently made sharp, hard passes breaking out and then entering the offensive zone.
2. Only one penalty the whole game. In fact, when there was a scrum in
front of the Greenway goal, players backed off and drew a penalty which led to Greenway's last goal.
3. Physical play without the cheap shots.
4. Depth. Clafton played three lines and shuffled players on the lines throughout the game. Also spotted other players in the 3rd period.
5. Strong forecheck. Hustled the entire game.

They do need to eliminate some sloppy play in the defensive end. Mound wasn't that great a team, so I need to be a little cautious in my enthusiasm but it's been a long time since I've seen Greenway play this type of game.
We'll get a better idea when they start playing better teams. Oh, Greenway won 4-1.
Last edited by greenway1969 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puckstper

Post by Puckstper »

A w is a w
I'm a city slicker now but a bleed green Greenie!
Take it one game at a time with discipline and things will happen, or I hope so!
How much is on the coaches? Who knows? Maybe Greenway got rid of the poison! Maybe these kids know discipline n how to play the game n treat there coaches with a lil yet due respect!
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

so after tonights game with Hermantown is Greenway gonna get the respect they deserve again?

Im still baffled Thunderchickens get killed 5-0, Greenway loses 2-1

I think Rapids wouldnt wanna play the crew from the snake pit!
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Blown away with what Clafton has done with this program. Very admirable and I think it's awesome these guys are more then just relevant.

Keep it going up there boys!