Wayzata 2016/2017

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GoldenBear

Wayzata 2016/2017

Post by GoldenBear »

Well, I was at the game last night against Breck and...scoring is a big issue. Only goal scored by a defencemen. Shots were very lopsided in Breck's favor too. O'Leary will probably try infinite line combinations to try and find the right mix, no problem with that but I hope he has it solved prior to early Feb. I also hope that he doesn't move Anderson up to forward to try and jump start the offense, like he tried last year with Sorenson. It's early but a 1 and 4 start---ouch! one goal scored in three of the five games with 2 in one. I see a lot of hard work but no results yet. OLeary turned it around last year, hope he and the squad can do it again this year. GB
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Oh, should give credit to Breck. They are a good squad. Section 2a goes thru them regardless of how good Delano thinks they are. Those who saw the first game of the year between Breck and Delano would probably agree that when they play in February it will be a dandy. GB
twincitiespuckmind

Post by twincitiespuckmind »

GoldenBear wrote:Oh, should give credit to Breck. They are a good squad. Section 2a goes thru them regardless of how good Delano thinks they are. Those who saw the first game of the year between Breck and Delano would probably agree that when they play in February it will be a dandy. GB
If the two teams end up meeting, it will be one of the best section finals in recent memory. They should consider moving that game out of the "band box", that is Parade Ice Gardens.
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

Barring an upset by Orono or New Prague, the section 2A final should be as exciting as it gets.

I like Parade for the finals. It's standing room only and a rocking atmosphere. Although it'd be nice to have more seating for what will likely be one of the most anticipated games of the year, the same could be said for the pregame at JJs. :D

Congrats to both teams on a couple of big early season wins.

First hats off to Delano and their fans for the win over Breck. It was a blast watching the excitement and celebration that followed that game. Well deserved by the players, and some of the best high school hockey fans out there - students and adults!

And, a very nice job by the Breck players last night against Wayzata. It took a few games to find their identity, but if they can stick to the type of team play and effort they showed last night, they'll be extremely tough at the end of the year. Like Wayzata, Breck will need to find more consistent scoring, but the team defense was impressive. The top four teams in A at the end of the year should be Hermantown, Delano, Breck, and SPA. Each is loaded with enough talent to give any team a run on any given night. Early season losses by any of these teams won't matter much come February and March.

I still believe Wayzata will be a top ten team at the end of the year. They have some outstanding players and have a lot of games left to figure out a consistent way to win.
hermantownfan

Post by hermantownfan »

stromboli wrote:Barring an upset by Orono or New Prague, the section 2A final should be as exciting as it gets.

I like Parade for the finals. It's standing room only and a rocking atmosphere. Although it'd be nice to have more seating for what will likely be one of the most anticipated games of the year, the same could be said for the pregame at JJs. :D

Congrats to both teams on a couple of big early season wins.

First hats off to Delano and their fans for the win over Breck. It was a blast watching the excitement and celebration that followed that game. Well deserved by the players, and some of the best high school hockey fans out there - students and adults!

And, a very nice job by the Breck players last night against Wayzata. It took a few games to find their identity, but if they can stick to the type of team play and effort they showed last night, they'll be extremely tough at the end of the year. Like Wayzata, Breck will need to find more consistent scoring, but the team defense was impressive. The top four teams in A at the end of the year should be Hermantown, Delano, Breck, and SPA. Each is loaded with enough talent to give any team a run on any given night. Early season losses by any of these teams won't matter much come February and March.

I still believe Wayzata will be a top ten team at the end of the year. They have some outstanding players and have a lot of games left to figure out a consistent way to win.
Stromboli, I like parade too for the finals. Great Atmosphere!
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Delano 4 Wayzata 3. Wow! Holy Family 10 Delano 1. Wayzata is 5 and 9 with victories over Buffalo, Holy Angels, St Louis Park, Cretin and Hermantown. I've seen them play over half of their games this year, last night wasn't a pretty sight. Lake Conference starts next week, Trojans may beat Hopkins twice. 8 and 17 is very likely. O'leary did win a state championship for my squad, Thanks Pat! However, what is happening this year is embarrassing. Wayzata has become a place where forwards come into the high school program as 9th and 10th graders already with scholarships in hand, and then they put up 18 points in 25 games and leave for juniors their senior year. I may be wrong, but during O'leary's tenure, I don't think any Wayzata forward has received a D1 offer his while playing hockey his junior or senior year while at Wayzata. I don't think any defencemen has received a D1 offer while playing at Wayzata his junior or senior year either. Maybe the forwards are being taught how to play 200 feet hockey and that explains how defencmen score more than D1 forwards. I don't know. Don't tell me Delano is a great team. They are a good A team. Wayzata shouldnt be 5 and 9, they shouldn't lose to Delano. Time to right the ship O'leary. You have the talent. Yes, you will probably be a number two seed and only need to win one game to get to state. To be candid, if you are 11 and 17 after beating the Hornets, please decline the offer and give it to the section 2A runner up. Delano. GB
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Wayzata is just not that good. Other than a few guys he doesn't have deep talent that he needs to win in AA Hockey. Delano is really good for A hockey, they have a little depth (as good A teams do) but they simply would be a very average team in AA. Proof of that was against the Family. It wasn't even close.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

Clarkkent wrote:Wayzata is just not that good. Other than a few guys he doesn't have deep talent that he needs to win in AA Hockey. Delano is really good for A hockey, they have a little depth (as good A teams do) but they simply would be a very average team in AA. Proof of that was against the Family. It wasn't even close.
You're spot on. It wasn't even close, so maybe let's play hockey could do a feature on Holy Family instead of Delano ;)
BenDangle

Post by BenDangle »

They would get a lot more respect from LPH if they spent more time at the rink and less time tweeting Fire emojis.

#OneFamily

[-X
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

GB/Kent/HOF

Hard to understand their decline this season when the fact is that ,except for Sorenson, most all their higher profile talent is returned from the championship team, and they are another year bigger/stronger. They are one of the biggest high school teams ever assembled. Also, Griffin Ness had a great Elite League season against much tougher competition. Sawyer Anderson is 91%, when called upon.

Hmmmmm....