HS Hockey Podcast (Episode 10)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

HS Hockey Podcast (Episode 10)

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Great show this week...we answer 3 questions from mailbag, do a section champion rapid fire, discuss last week and next week games...plus a few good laughs as a result.

http://bit.ly/2jo9ExA
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

I wish I could listen to this but I can only understand every third word Karl says. Is there any hope the audio will improve?
kniven

Post by kniven »

barry_mcconnell wrote:I wish I could listen to this but I can only understand every third word Karl says. Is there any hope the audio will improve?
Cell phone speaker phones aren't always the best. KarlEast is in demand and can't be everywhere. I think KarlEast should get his own talk show on the local sports talk radio. heck...I could talk/listen to high school hockey talk all year. they do it for the nfl.

the hockey season
select teams season
off-season news- player/coach movement/section realighnment/A vs. AA/summer scrimmages/etc.
elite league
the hockey season again

I'd call him the "Jim Rhome" of Minnesota High School Hockey =)
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

barry_mcconnell wrote:I wish I could listen to this but I can only understand every third word Karl says. Is there any hope the audio will improve?
Agree. I would be a huge positive if he could be understood. It's more of a distraction then anything else. Otherwise it's good.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

The reality is Karl's voice is tough to track for any audio device. That said, his words on the show are golden. We are doing our best at giving him space to talk each time.

The other reality is, there isn't a more comprehensive show about MN HS Hockey with 3 guys who watch a lot of games...every week.

Last week we each saw 3-4 games.

If you have 45 minutes at the office (or wherever), take a listen. We have a blast creating it each week.

The funny part about the show is...I'm always amazed at who listens and am just as amazed at who doesn't. A very good friend tuned in this week for the first time...said, "you do that every week??? That is awesome, I'm hooked!"
kniven

Post by kniven »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:The reality is Karl's voice is tough to track for any audio device. That said, his words on the show are golden. We are doing our best at giving him space to talk each time.

The other reality is, there isn't a more comprehensive show about MN HS Hockey with 3 guys who watch a lot of games...every week.

If you have 45 minutes at the office (or wherever), take a listen. We have a blast creating it each week.

The funny part about the show is...I'm always amazed at who listens and am just as amazed at who doesn't. A very good friend tuned in this week for the first time...said, "you do that every week??? That is awesome, I'm hooked!"
I tuned in for the first time.....very cool :)))
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

YouthHockeyHub wrote:The reality is Karl's voice is tough to track for any audio device. That said, his words on the show are golden. We are doing our best at giving him space to talk each time.

Long time listener, first time caller... Keep up the good work.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Great show again this week.

The discussion about coaching was a reminder to me to NEVER AGAIN publish a preseason top 10 list that does not include Edina,Hill and East all in the top 10 , just giving huge overweight to coaching alone.

I dont know how Curt Giles has managed to do it this year, but he has.

How has Bill Lechner done it this year, but he has..

Mike Randolph, can almost figure he will be hanging around the Section 7 championship again, when we all figured it would be Rapids and Elk for sure.

Along with the coach, the selection of captains is critical. Not sure that was discussed enough. Maybe next week. Many times the coach can/should figure out to motivate captains to step out of their normal high school guy shell and go on to motivate the kids

How about an injury update each week. Even if its got to be kept pretty general to protect privacy. For example, it would be helpful just to know if
an injured kid had returned to the lineup all of a sudden in the Saturday game.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

WestMetro wrote:Great show again this week.

The discussion about coaching was a reminder to me to NEVER AGAIN publish a preseason top 10 list that does not include Edina,Hill and East all in the top 10 , just giving huge overweight to coaching alone.
I think publishing preseason rankings needs to stop, period. Too difficult to use as a barometer until games are actually played. It's meaningless.
kniven

Post by kniven »

ryguyMN wrote:

I think publishing preseason rankings needs to stop, period. Too difficult to use as a barometer until games are actually played. It's meaningless.
Agree to disagree. I don't think pre-season rankings are meant to be right. They are blast to see and "yell at" or smile at. :)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote:
ryguyMN wrote:

Agree to disagree. I don't think pre-season rankings are meant to be right. They are blast to see and "yell at" or smile at. :)
A problem with pre-season rankings is the person doing them hesitates to change because it is his work and does not want to admit an error.

So I rank Duluth East high and now I believe they are high so do not drop them down. And then give credit to Grand Rapids for beating a top ten team. Well, they did not beat a top ten team they beat a team that I thought was a top ten team.

Rankings should tell the reader that team #1 should beat any one else in the immediate future. Rankings are dynamic not static so early results mean a lot less than more recent games.

But anyway....
keep pre-season rankings because what else have we to talk about...
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Thanks you guys for the kind words - the next few days should give us plenty to talk about Sunday.

Hopefully the rain stays away for the great hockey people in Stillwater's sake.

Should be a Sundayevening release this week - YHH hosting the Squirtacular this weekend in Blaine.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:
ryguyMN wrote: I think publishing preseason rankings needs to stop, period. Too difficult to use as a barometer until games are actually played. It's meaningless.
A problem with pre-season rankings is the person doing them hesitates to change because it is his work and does not want to admit an error.

So I rank Duluth East high and now I believe they are high so do not drop them down. And then give credit to Grand Rapids for beating a top ten team. Well, they did not beat a top ten team they beat a team that I thought was a top ten team.

Rankings should tell the reader that team #1 should beat any one else in the immediate future. Rankings are dynamic not static so early results mean a lot less than more recent games.

But anyway....
keep pre-season rankings because what else have we to talk about...
Off topic-ish, but there is a point in the season (usually right after holiday tournaments) where I go into the rankings doing my best to completely ignore what I did the week before, and just do a very mechanical ranking based on wins and losses to date on a little chart. I then build on that foundation for the rest of the season. That doesn't mean I'll end up going with exactly what comes out of the little chart--in my opinion, the whole point of having a human ranking is being able to do what one wants here and there, based on the eye test and secondhand reports and some knowledge of talent or coaching or history. If you want something purely mechanical, go use PS2...which I do look at regularly, and sometimes make adjustments off of. And sometimes not, like when I don't think St. Michael-Albertville belongs in the top 15 despite what the computers say, and their on-ice results when they do finally go play a top 10 team back that up. :wink:

At any rate, this year has been a little more challenging for the podcast, just because I can't respond to visual cues and such. Still well worth it, and we're working to make this as clear as humanly possible. Plus I'll likely be in studio again at least once during the regular season (weekend of 2/4, probably?), plus during the Tourney.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I was not picking on you, just used those teams because of the recent 'controversy'.
But it is nice to get a bit of the workings of your methods.