Class A Top 20 Week 4 (12-15)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Class A Top 20 Week 4 (12-15)

Post by elliott70 »

Jumping ahead of Stang (He's sleeping in or an hour behind us)

1. Hermantown 4-2-0
2. St Cloud Cathedral 7-0-0
3. East Grand Forks 8-1-0
4. Mahtomedi 4-1-0
5. Alexandria 5-2-0
6. Sartell-St. Stephen 5-1-0
7. Thief River Falls5-3-2
8. Warroad 3-4-0
9. Orono 4-3-0
10. Totino 5-2-0
11. Duluth Denfeld 4-1-1
12. Eveleth 6-3-0
13. Greenway 2-5-0
14. Marshall 8-1-0
15. Mankato East 4-2-1
16. Minnesota River 4-2-1
17. Northfield 3-2-0
18. Chisago Lakes 7-2-0
19. Detroit Lakes 7-0-0
20 North Branch 5-2-0

Others:
Gentry
Mound
Waconia
Breck
Virginia
Minneapolis
Litchfield
Lourdes
elliott70

Re: Class A Top 20 Week 4 (12-15)

Post by elliott70 »

I (or Stang) will post some section rankings later today.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The top 10 or so are fairly easy, after that??
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section by section seeds 1-4 or so as of today (my guess)

Section 1
Mankato East
Minnesota River
Lourdes
Faribault

Section 2
Orono
Waconia
Mound
Minneapolis
Breck

Section 3
Marshall
LDC
New Ulm
Luverne
Hutchinson

Section 4
Mahtomedi
Totino-Grace
Northfield
South St. Paul
and Gentry for the heck of it

Section 5
Chisago
North Branch
Monticello
Princeton

Section 6
St. Cloud Cathedral
Alexandria
Sartell
Little Falls

Section 7
Hermantown
Denfeld
Eveleth
Greenway
Virginia

Section 8
East Grand Forks
Thief River
Warroad
Detroit Lakes
MNFinn

Post by MNFinn »

1. St. Cloud Cathedral
2. Hermantown
3. Mahtomedi
4. East Grand Forks
5. Alexandria
6. Totino Grace
7. Duluth Denfield
8. Thief River Falls
9. Orono
10. Warroad
11. Sartell
12. Mankato East
13. Northfield
14. Marshall
15. Detroit Lakes
16. Greenway
17. Eveleth
18. Virginia
19. Chisago Lakes
20. Monticello
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Sorry for posting these a bit later than usual. As Elliott noted, I am in the Mountain Time Zone, and life rudely interrupted my normal morning routine. Some excellent games this week, but unfortunately we didn’t really receive as much clarity as desired. It did result in a fair amount of movement in the rankings, however.

1. Hermantown (4-2-0) (LW 1)
W 8-3 vs Duluth Marshall, W 10-0 @ New Prague
Yawn. Methodically destroyed two decent AA teams. Finally face their first Class A foe when Totino Grace comes to town Saturday. Magic 8 ball says Hawks > Eagles in this case.

2. St. Cloud Cathedral (7-0-0) (LW 2)
W 3-2 (OT) vs Alexandria, W 5-2 vs SSP
Partially avenged their sectional loss from last season with an epic OT win over Alex, in what may have been the game of the year so far. Came roaring back to defeat the Packers after a slow start with Warner out of the lineup. Schedule lightens up a bit with Chisago and Luverne on tap this week.

3. East Grand Forks (7-1-0) (LW 5)
W 8-1 vs Crookston, W 7-1 vs Alexandria
The Wave are rolling after completely demolishing their opposition this week, including the shocking rout over Alex. The three spot feels appropriate given that big win, coupled with their own blowout loss to Cathedral. No sense in trying to overanalyze that triangular comparison. Host Warroad Thursday in a big 8A contest.

4. Alexandria (5-2-0) (LW 4)
L 2-3 (OT) @ Cathedral, W 5-4 vs St. Cloud, L 1-7 @ EGF
A tumultuous week for the Cardinals, dropping the OT thriller to their 6A rival, then being completely flooded by the Green Wave Saturday. I’m willing to give them a mulligan on the EGF loss, at least for now, as it was a physically and emotionally taxing week. A rough conference game coming up on Thursday at Brainerd.

5. Mahtomedi (4-1-0) (LW 3)
W 4-3 @ Hastings
Survived a scare from a scrappy Hastings squad in only action of the week (Hudson game apparently postponed to Jan. 15). Maybe unfair to move the Zephyrs down two spots, but they haven’t really done anything yet, either good or bad. Big sectional game against Northfield Saturday.

6. Thief River Falls (5-3-2) (LW 10)
W 3-2 vs Bemidji, W 3-1 vs Warroad, T 2-2 vs Minneapolis
Things start to become more muddled at this point in the rankings. The Prowlers picked up two nice wins, then a strange tie in which they outshot Minneapolis more than 2:1, but gave up a goal with 0:03 left. Nothing will come easy for TRF this year, but they will make life miserable for lots of teams in the process.

7. Sartell-St. Stephen (5-1-0) (LW 9)
W 4-1 @ Hutchinson, W 9-2 @ Sauk Rapids
Rolled past two overmatched opponents, but avoided stubbing their toes and consequently continue to creep up. Another quiet week ahead, as their only game is against Generic St. Cloud (TM Karl).

8. Orono (4-3-0) (LW 6)
L 1-7 @ Chaska, W 4-1 vs Breck
A roller coaster week for the Spartans, as they were dismantled by Chaska and cruised against Breck. Even though Chaska has two losses against A teams, this looked like a different Hawks squad, so Orono won’t fall too far. Likely more of the same as they face Holy Family and Kennedy this week.

9. Totino-Grace (5-2-0) (LW NR)
W 4-2 @ Arm/Coop, W 5-2 vs Champlin Park
While I generally take pride in doing my rankings independently, I admit to cribbing this one from Elliott, as TG had completely fallen off my radar. After two blowout losses to start the season, which don’t look bad in retrospect, the Eagles have rattled off five straight wins. That includes victories over quality AA teams Elk River and Champlin Park. We’ll see if this ranking is justified when they head up to Hermantown on Saturday.

10. Warroad (3-4-0) [LW 8]
L 1-3 @ TRF
The Warriors dropped their only game of the week, an important 8A contest against TRF, and fall back below .500 in the process. No reason to keep them ahead of Sartell any longer, as overall body of work begins to trump H2H now. Another single game week ahead, traveling to EGF.

11. Eveleth-Gilbert (6-3-0) (LW NR)
W 7-1 @ Ely, L 2-3 vs Holy Angels, W 3-1 vs Virginia
I am basically just throwing up my hands at this point. E-G at least has a few solid victories over the likes of Chaska and Virginia, which is more than can be said of most of the teams behind them. So the Bears jump back into the rankings after a one week hiatus.

12. Greenway (2-5-0) (LW 7)
1-7 @ Holy Family, 2-5 @ Blake
An ugly swing through the western suburbs, as the losing streak now reaches five games. I watched most of the Blake game, and this team is not playing well. Crucial trip to Eveleth Tuesday before Moorhead comes rolling into town.

13. Mankato East (4-2-1) (LW 11)
T 3-3 vs Shakopee, W 6-1 vs New Richmond
Tied a Shakopee team that had looked respectable until a blowout loss to Prior Lake, and stomped a traditional Wisconsin power that is having a down year. Color me unimpressed. A huge three game week capped off by a trip to LeSueur for a showdown against Minnesota River.

14. Duluth Denfeld (4-1-1) (LW 12)
T 3-3 vs Virginia, L 3-7 @ New Prague
Not a stellar week for the Hunters, as they steal a tie against Virginia with a late goal and then were pasted by a mediocre New Prague team. Still, they have probably been the most consistent 7A team. We won’t find out much more about them until late January, as they have several AA opponents coming up.

15. Marshall (8-1-0) (LW 15)
W 6-2 vs Windom, W 9-0 vs Redwood Valley, 3-0 @ Waseca
Not much to say here. The Tigers cruised through three overmatched opponents, and we will have to wait until the Schwan’s Cup to see how they fare against some stronger competition.

Out: Chisago Lakes (LW 13), Northfield (LW 14)

Honorable mentions (alphabetical order):
(a/k/a the 5A holding pen)

Chisago Lakes (7-2-0)
L 3-6 @ Gentry, W 4-3 (OT) @ Pine City, L 1-8 @ STMA

Minnesota River (8-1-0)
W 4-0 @ Albert Lea, W 7-1 @ Hutchinson, W 9-1 vs Worthington

Monticello (4-3-1)
W 6-2 vs Sauk Rapids, W 4-2 @ North Branch

North Branch (5-2-1)
L 2-4 vs Monticello

Northfield (3-2-0)
W 6-3 vs Mankato West, L 1-5 vs Mayo, W 5-2 @ New Ulm

A few notes:
- There is still a notable drop off after the top five, though TRF and Sartell could throw wrenches into their respective section races
- 5A and 7A are still messes, and we won’t see much resolution for several weeks
Not a great slate of games this week, but we do have Greenway vs Eveleth, Warroad vs EGF, TG vs Hermantown, and Mankato East vs Minnesota River
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

At this stage of the season I would pick one of these teams to win the Single A state championship.
(no particular order other than first 5 and second five)

East Grand Forks
Hermantown
St Cloud Cathedral
Mahtomedi
Totino

Others:
Greenway
Thief River Falls
Orono
Alexandria
Sartell

So that in some order should be the (my) top 10 come Sunday morning (waiting on something odd to happen between now and then).
The difference from last week would be Greenway bumping up and Warroad sliding down.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:47 am At this stage of the season I would pick one of these teams to win the Single A state championship.
(no particular order other than first 5 and second five)

East Grand Forks
Hermantown
St Cloud Cathedral
Mahtomedi
Totino

Others:
Greenway
Thief River Falls
Orono
Alexandria
Sartell

So that in some order should be the (my) top 10 come Sunday morning (waiting on something odd to happen between now and then).
The difference from last week would be Greenway bumping up and Warroad sliding down.
Bold take on putting TG into that top tier. They have been playing well lately since being mowed down by EGF, but we’ll see how they fare against Hermantown this weekend.

TRF is a real wildcard to me. The Prowlers play such a tight defensive style that keeps them in every game, but also limits their ability to pull away from teams. I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see them emerge from 8A again, though EGF is still the clear favorite.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

PAGESTAT top Class A teams
1. HERMANTOWN 7A
2. EAST GRAND FORKS 8A
3. ST CLOUD CATHEDRAL 6A
4. MAHTOMEDI 4A
5. TOTINO GRACE 4A
6. SARTELL 6A
7. ORONO 2A
8. ALEXANDRIA 6A