Coaching openings

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

1. Andover - Melissa Sailor
2. Duluth Northern Stars
3. Rosemount
4. Rogers - Dale Sager
5. New Prague - Andrea Peterson
6. Bemidji
7. St. Paul United
8. Eagan
9. Austin
10. Simley
11. Silver Bay
12. Spring Lake Park
13. New Ulm
14. Centennial - Kristina King
15. Breck

This is updated to the best of my knowledge, seems like more of these schools would have people in place to run summer programming.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Yet another coaching change at Breck? Off the top of my head, with the replacement they will have had 4 different head coaches in the past 6 years? Rob Little, Len Vannelli, Chris Peterson and now whoever they hire next?
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Yet another coaching change at Breck? Off the top of my head, with the replacement they will have had 4 different head coaches in the past 6 years? Rob Little, Len Vannelli, Chris Peterson and now whoever they hire next?
What happened with Peterson? Hasn't he had a few different coaching jobs?
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

Per Duluth News Tribune, Cory Stafne recommended for Northern Stars job.
allhoc11 wrote:1. Andover - Melissa Sailor
2. Duluth Northern Stars - Cory Stafne
3. Rosemount
4. Rogers - Dale Sager
6. Bemidji
7. St. Paul United
8. Eagan
9. Austin
10. Simley
11. Silver Bay
12. Spring Lake Park
13. New Ulm
15. Breck

This is updated to the best of my knowledge, seems like more of these schools would have people in place to run summer programming.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Rocketwrister wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Yet another coaching change at Breck? Off the top of my head, with the replacement they will have had 4 different head coaches in the past 6 years? Rob Little, Len Vannelli, Chris Peterson and now whoever they hire next?
Don't know why he is leaving Breck. Before taking over at Breck he was an assistant at BSM. Before that Hopkins and Eden Prairie.
glovesareoff

Post by glovesareoff »

From Rosemount website: 2013-14 Girls 10U, 12U and 14U - Join new Rosemount Girls High School Hockey Coach Tom Conboy for his summer STP Program
MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:
Don't know why he is leaving Breck. Before taking over at Breck he was an assistant at BSM. Before that Hopkins and Eden Prairie.
It looks like he's on the staff now at Northern Educate Hockey Academy. I believe they're expanding from 1 location (Eagan) to 4 metro locations for 2013-14. Possibly that's why?
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote: What happened with Peterson? Hasn't he had a few different coaching jobs?
It looks like he's on the staff now at Northern Educate Hockey Academy. I believe they're expanding from 1 location (Eagan) to 4 metro locations for 2013-14. Possibly that's why?
Seems like Breck would be a dream job...maybe couldn't get the players?? Just an outsides perspective
Hockeychops09

Coaches

Post by Hockeychops09 »

Peterson is coaching the girls H.S. team next year at Northern Educate .
goaline

Re: Coaches

Post by goaline »

Peterson, chief recruiter for 6 schools in 8 years, seems to have the spirit of HS athletics in mind... Why is this not more transparent to people? Nearing the epic Warroad for callous disregard of ethics.

Hockeychops09 wrote:Peterson is coaching the girls H.S. team next year at Northern Educate .
MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey »

Hockeychops09 wrote:Peterson is coaching the girls H.S. team next year at Northern Educate .
I didn't know NE has a girls H.S. team. This must be new for next year?

And will they be forced to play JV level next year due to the MSHSL transfer rule (assuming they're bringing in some 10th grade & above transfers)?
D16Dad

Post by D16Dad »

Bemidji hires current assistant coach and BSU women's hockey alum Jackie Robertson

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/j ... ckey-coach

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/j ... ckey-coach
Hockeychops09

Coaches

Post by Hockeychops09 »

Any rumors on who is applying for the Breck Girls coaching job ?
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

Hockeychops09 wrote:Any rumors on who is applying for the Breck Girls coaching job ?
It seems that a big time programs HC job rarely opened up in the past, and when it did it would get a good number of applicants. I know there are jobs that have opened up in the past couple years and few if any have applied. There was a school last year that opened the position got 1 applicant, re-opened it didn't get any more, they are looking for a coach again this year.

I know some of the key contributors are: trying to find a job that allows you the time to coach in addition to your regular job, the amount of time necessary to accomplish the duties of being a HC, lack of support by school admin in certain communities.

I'm not sure I have the answer on how to change this, but I'm seeing a disturbing trend with so many of these open positions each year, and schools scrambling to put a body in place.
Last edited by allhoc11 on Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

The problem isn't just in hockey or in high school. Finding people willing/able to coach is getting tougher and tougher.

A lot of contributing factors.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

MinnGirlsHockey wrote:
I didn't know NE has a girls H.S. team. This must be new for next year?

And will they be forced to play JV level next year due to the MSHSL transfer rule (assuming they're bringing in some 10th grade & above transfers)?
This just came across the e-mail today from cp:

Hello Coaches!

Our new school has been approved for participation in MSHSL Girls Hockey. I know many of you have your 2013-14 game schedules complete, but was curious if anyone needed a game(s). We have no problem traveling and will go to your rink if need be......very flexible on dates/times as well. Let me know if anything is open.

Thanks! Hope you are enjoying the Spring!

Chris Peterson
Achiever Academy Aces
Girls Hockey Coach
M: (612)385-7061
achieveraces@hotmail.com
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

2. Duluth Northern Stars
3. Rosemount
4. Rogers - Dale Sager
6. Bemidji - Jackie Robertson
7. St. Paul United
8. Eagan - Kallie Flor & Ryan St. Martin
9. Austin
10. Simley
11. Silver Bay
12. Spring Lake Park
13. New Ulm
15. Breck -
16. Achiever Academy (New Program) - Chris Peterson
ghshockeyfan

Simley - Tom Patnode (per MSHSL website)

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Simley - Tom Patnode (per MSHSL website)
redlightclub

Post by redlightclub »

Cory Stafne is now listed as Duluth Northern Stars coach per Mshsl-Duluth East page.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

2. Duluth Northern Stars - Cory Stafne
3. Rosemount -
4. Rogers - Dale Sager
6. Bemidji - Jackie Robertson
7. St. Paul United
8. Eagan - Kallie Flor & Ryan St. Martin
9. Austin -
10. Simley - Tom Patnode
11. Silver Bay -
12. Spring Lake Park
13. New Ulm -
15. Breck -
16. Achiever Academy (New Program) - Chris Peterson
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Congratulations to Kristi, hope she has great success and inspires other players from her age group to take up coaching/giving back to the game in the future!

New Centennial coach Kristi King doubles up
05/21/2013, 5:36pm CDT
By David La Vaque, Star Tribune
The next year and a half of Kristi King’s life will be spent finishing her college degree while starting her varsity hockey coaching career.

King, 21, was recently hired as the Centennial girls’ hockey coach after directing the Cougars’ junior varsity to a 19-5-1 record last season. King, who helped Stillwater win the Class 2A state championship in 2007 and 2009 and played college hockey at Maine and Bemidji State, knows her age could create concern.

“A lot of people might ask whether a 21-year-old can handle this job but I did play Division I hockey where we spent five or six hours a day at the rink,” King said. “I look at this job similar to that. I’m going to make the time for it. I care so much that I’m not going to let anything slip.”

King tallied 150 career points for Stillwater and headed to Maine. Feeling homesick, she transferred to Bemidji State after one season. She suffered a career-ending concussion in the season finale as a sophomore and returned to the Twin Cities to finish her degree. She plans to graduate from Bethel University in December 2014 with a business marketing major and communications minor.

She gained some insight in communication skills observing Bemidji State coach Steve Sertich, who King said understood how to reach different players while staying consistent.

King already has learned the differences in going from assistant to head coach. She met players last Friday and has been going about getting practice jerseys ready, designing and ordering T-shirts, meeting with her activities director and assistant coaches and setting up the scrimmage schedule.

“I already respect head coaches 100 percent more,’’ King said. “They don’t just teach the game and develop the kids. They have all the other roles.

“I’m in a new role now,” she said. “Last year I was definitely the fun coach. Not that I can’t be again this year but it’s going to be getting down to business and getting better.”
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

joehockey wrote:Congratulations to Kristi, hope she has great success and inspires other players from her age group to take up coaching/giving back to the game in the future!
Really hope the AD and Captains (or other strong) parents can step up and help her deal with the people side of it. It will take awhile for anyone to find their stride as a coach unfortunately once you make JV/Varsity cuts and slot players into 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines you will have some unhappy folks to deal with (or they will undermine you at every turn), it is true at every program. Every season starts with that, kind of cringe when I think about someone this young needing to deal with it at the same time they get going as a head coach. Hopefully they can get her some support and some buffers to help her get through the first few seasons. If we are going to keep these young coaches we need to make sure that we don't let them be driven out of the game by the negative element in the stands (no offense meant to the Red Army it is universal to all programs).
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

royals dad wrote:
joehockey wrote:Congratulations to Kristi, hope she has great success and inspires other players from her age group to take up coaching/giving back to the game in the future!
Really hope the AD and Captains (or other strong) parents can step up and help her deal with the people side of it. It will take awhile for anyone to find their stride as a coach unfortunately once you make JV/Varsity cuts and slot players into 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines you will have some unhappy folks to deal with (or they will undermine you at every turn), it is true at every program. Every season starts with that, kind of cringe when I think about someone this young needing to deal with it at the same time they get going as a head coach. Hopefully they can get her some support and some buffers to help her get through the first few seasons. If we are going to keep these young coaches we need to make sure that we don't let them be driven out of the game by the negative element in the stands (no offense meant to the Red Army it is universal to all programs).
Great post! I wanna coach this guys daughter and 34 more like her. All new coaches, and particularly young high school coaches, need some time to develop. Kristi will make decisions that she will adjust the next time around, just like well worn coaches do everyday. That's life and it applies to parents, players, and coaches, young and old. Here's to hoping that she gets an opportunity to develop as a coach and person so her passion for the players and the game is a benefit that they all can experience. The bottom line is that undermining the coach, thinking it will benefit your son or daughter, almost always has the opposite effect, as it ends up undermining the team. Best wishes Kristi!
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Yes, this post has turned toward the positive route for HS coaching. We all hope she has the support she needs to turn the program around. Nothing against Kristi at all (I do not know her), but it's too bad that all this positive energy was not focused a year ago to the previous coach, who was completely ousted by the parents (after 1 year). He had the backing of the AD and school board, but still said the heck with this and move onto Rogers. What will these same parents do this year? And it will be the same parents - from looking at their roster from last fall, they have 15 seniors this coming fall. Kristi - do not let the parents overrule you like they did to Dale. Hang in there no matter what, but be involved at ALL levels of hockey. Many good players coming up. Do not lose them. We wish you luck.
BluehawkHockey

Post by BluehawkHockey »

Sandy Nelson hired has head coach for Spring Lake Park.