Section 7AA Final: GR vs. DE

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Thunder Indians
69%
Greyhounds
31%

Total votes: 48

boblee

Post by boblee »

Impressive hockey game. These two teams had a lot to live up to after last year's game. It wasn't quite as crazy of a game, but the recency factor helps. Some quick (and maybe obvious) thoughts.

-Goalies were outstanding
-The game was very physical
-Rapids has some dudes that CAN FLY
-Randolph was more willing to work his depth
-Klatt won the game before it started

On that last note, Klatt won this game because he's a hockey coach - not a people pleaser. The goalie that led them to the promise land last year was up in the rotation they used all season. He's a captain. He's played in the pressure games. Instead, Klatt played the hot hand and got his money's worth. Take nothing away from Holum. He's had two very nice years with GR. BUT, Stejskal was sensational. I find it hard to believe Rapids wins that game without him on that night. Kudos to Trent for coaching the way he believed would give his team the best chance to win.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Slammer wrote:I feel bad for Kirk Meiheroff tonight. Kid has played goalie the two times in the past 10 years East hasn't gone to state.

Kid probably wrongly thinks it's all his fault.

I was a goalie in high school, and lost in overtime in the game to go to state, then in the state QF year after. Both were slow wristers that should've been an easy save. Stuff like this can make you depressed, especially as a senior.

Life moves on, but it stays in your head forever. The extra looks the school day after was worse than the goals.
I can't even imagine being a goalie. Tough position to play and probably no worse feeling in the world than missing one you know you should have had if it leads to a loss. I bet it does stick with you forever. Flip side is that if you stand on your head and steal one it's probably the greatest feeling in the world. Don't envy anyone that plays the position.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I agree Rapids has two of the top 10 goalies in the state, if not the top five.

I was a bit concerned that Trent gave up the rotation, because it gets a little into the boys head and now what is he going to do next Thursday? Go with Gabe, and then hold him later for the championship game?

Although Stej played a good game, I thought he missed protecting the near side of the cage along the pipe on one of the goals, can't remember which it was.

But, Overall Great performance by both goalies in the highest pressure game in the highest pressure venue anywhere in the country with the exception of next weeks tournament itself
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Long night. I'm glad my wife was able to drive all the way back afterwards so I could catch a few z's.
The game was about as even as it could get. Their was at least 100 momentum swings throughout. You could tell both teams had a few jitters as there were quite a few fanned passes and clearing attempts for each. Each team was also able to sustain good offensive zone pressure for stretches. The defenses blocked a lot of shots (especially East) and the goalies were awesome. East almost finished the game off with a few seconds left in regulation when a forward (not sure which) made a great move near the blue line and went in close and tried to go upper right corner. Stejskal somehow managed to get a glove on that one. It's definitely a game of inches. Millers shot to win it was a laser.
Hats off to both again. Another instant classic in a long line of them.

That player was Garrett Worth, who I would take over any of the other players on the ice last night (and there were many) as my first choice to put together a hockey roster. That kid is particularly dangerous & seems to get a big goal in every big game he plays. As a lifelong Rapids fan, I was concerned every time he was on the ice. I don't know how Stejskal made that save but am really happy he did. As a lifelong Northern MN hockey fan, I'm excited that he's only a junior and will return next year with nearly all his teammates intact (ok, hopefully intact). How East is not rated #1 to start the 2017-18 season would be beyond me.
Last edited by mnmouth on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Certainly not trying to stir the pot, and the outcome will be no different, but in watching the replay of that final goal, I am not convinced it was in. It looked like it hit the corner of the cross-bar and out.

Keep in mind, I had no stakes in the outcome. Not at all disappointed in the outcome of this game. I am just pointing out what I am seeing on what is not the greatest quality of video, but clear enough to see.

Look for yourself. At the 30-second mark is where I hear a slight clink of the puck hitting the cross-bar.

https://www.facebook.com/wdiowirt/video ... 800021167/

Again....not trying to start anything. As long as Section 7 holds their own at state.....I am happy.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

MnMouth

For sure no. 1 in 7AA next year , with Cloquet probably 2nd

As far as state pre season rankings, lower top 5 range ?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hmmmm Schotzy.....

Anyway to get slow Mo on that?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Schotzy wrote:Certainly not trying to stir the pot, and the outcome will be no different, but in watching the replay of that final goal, I am not convinced it was in. It looked like it hit the corner of the cross-bar and out.

Keep in mind, I had no stakes in the outcome. Not at all disappointed in the outcome of this game. I am just pointing out what I am seeing on what is not the greatest quality of video, but clear enough to see.

Look for yourself. At the 30-second mark is where I hear a slight clink of the puck hitting the cross-bar.

Again....not trying to start anything. As long as Section 7 holds their own at state.....I am happy.
Interesting. Your right. That puck hit the top crossbar and out. People make mistakes all the time though.......
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Schotzy wrote:Certainly not trying to stir the pot, and the outcome will be no different, but in watching the replay of that final goal, I am not convinced it was in. It looked like it hit the corner of the cross-bar and out.

heres a way better video from behind the DE net, puck clearly goes in the net.

https://twitter.com/taygoodridge/status ... 5158545408
Minn_Hockey

Post by Minn_Hockey »

kniven wrote:

Interesting. Your right. That puck hit the top crossbar and out. People make mistakes all the time though.......
Here's the angle you need:
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

bardown27 wrote:

Absolutely!!! Much better angle. GOAL!!!!

Thanks for the post on that. I would not have lost any sleep, but it was bothering me a bit.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

kniven wrote:

The goal was legit. Had a perfect view of it from where I was sitting along the boards to the left of the East goal. In and out from the upper part of the net.
kniven

Post by kniven »

bardown27 wrote:

I stand corrected
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Some random thoughts here. Let's start with this:
I was sitting near the goal and had a great look. It was in. No question. I wish it weren't so. I'm an East fan. But it was in.

Also: What an awesome night of hockey, of high school sports, and what a tremendous community event in general, for both communities. Everything said by others here about momentum shifts, intensity, etc. were all true. And my team lost. But most East fans I've spoken to--some with kids on the team--while disappointed by the outcome, also thought it was a great night. It's why we go to these games and follow these sports. It's a heart-breaking loss, but the type of loss that reminds you why it's so special to win a championship.

The Duluth paper reported attendance of 7054, in a building with 6600 seats for hockey. Much of the credit for that goes to the Rapids fans who again traveled in droves. But the venue, and its "game ops" were awesome. Amsoil showed it's a great venue for a game like that.

Finally, say what you want about Randolph, but I think he "got it" last night in that during the handshake line he had a huge smile on his face while congratulating the Rapids players. Even before the line started, as Rapids was still celebrating, he and Klatt spoke for a few moments on the ice, again in what appeared to be a warm congratulatory conversation. Then in then paper this morning, Randolph was quoted as saying about Micah Miller, "he's my favorite player in the state." A pretty neat reaction from a fierce competitor after a tough, double-overtime defeat.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I was sure the back of the net moved last night but that first look from the front had me wondering. View from back does show it hitting twine. Without that look though, there would have been a lot of 2nd guessing as it doesn't look in from the front view.
boblee

Post by boblee »

To find a weakness in a 45 save, 3-2 OT win for a goalie is silly.

Also might be silly to say Worth was the best player in that game.

If I was Trent, I'd play Stejskal the rest of the way. You ride the hot hand. If he gives up two quick ones on Thursday, put in Holum. Great problem to have.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Bob Lee, you'll note I concluded by saying both goalies played great in the high-pressure environment. My first comment was just a technical observation on a goal early in the game, which worried me at the time
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

boblee wrote:To find a weakness in a 45 save, 3-2 OT win for a goalie is silly.

If I was Trent, I'd play Stejskal the rest of the way. You ride the hot hand. If he gives up two quick ones on Thursday, put in Holum. Great problem to have.
Yep, just my opinion, Bob, but I would take Worth over any kid I saw last night. Too bad the rest of the State won't see him on the big stage until next year :D
boblee

Post by boblee »

mnmouth wrote:

Yep, just my opinion, Bob, but I would take Worth over any kid I saw last night. Too bad the rest of the State won't see him on the big stage until next year :D
I wonder how many people would definitively choose Worth over Miller, Mageau, Hain and McLaughlin. Not saying he isn't good or anything, but there were a lot of awfully good hockey players on that ice.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

boblee wrote:
mnmouth wrote:

I wonder how many people would definitively choose Worth over Miller, Mageau, Hain and McLaughlin. Not saying he isn't good or anything, but there were a lot of awfully good hockey players on that ice.
Yea, likely splitting hairs on this one. But one thing that bugged me the past two games watching Rapids was McLaughlin and Hain continually taking the puck wide when entering the offensive zone. Too often, (McLaughlin, in particular) ended up behind the net with the puck with nowhere to put it except into a clogged slot or along the half wall. They were way easier to defend when going wide.
boblee

Post by boblee »

mnmouth wrote:
boblee wrote:
mnmouth wrote: Yep, just my opinion, Bob, but I would take Worth over any kid I saw last night. Too bad the rest of the State won't see him on the big stage until next year :D
Yea, likely splitting hairs on this one. But one thing that bugged me the past two games watching Rapids was McLaughlin and Hain continually taking the puck wide when entering the offensive zone. Too often, (McLaughlin, in particular) ended up behind the net with the puck with nowhere to put it except into a clogged slot or along the half wall. They were way easier to defend when going wide.
McLaughlin had 5 points and Hain had four in those two games. Against two top-15 outfits.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

boblee wrote: If I was Trent, I'd play Stejskal the rest of the way. You ride the hot hand. If he gives up two quick ones on Thursday, put in Holum. Great problem to have.
After Casey pops in two in the first 4 minutes on Thursday night?
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

boblee wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
boblee wrote: I wonder how many people would definitively choose Worth over Miller, Mageau, Hain and McLaughlin. Not saying he isn't good or anything, but there were a lot of awfully good hockey players on that ice.
McLaughlin had 5 points and Hain had four in those two games. Against two top-15 outfits.
As I stated, splitting hairs. That's one thing I like about this site - splitting hairs is allowed and seen often.

I like that they're both on my favorite team, brother. But I would take Worth over either of them.
boblee

Post by boblee »

mnmouth wrote:
boblee wrote:
mnmouth wrote: Yea, likely splitting hairs on this one. But one thing that bugged me the past two games watching Rapids was McLaughlin and Hain continually taking the puck wide when entering the offensive zone. Too often, (McLaughlin, in particular) ended up behind the net with the puck with nowhere to put it except into a clogged slot or along the half wall. They were way easier to defend when going wide.
As I stated, splitting hairs. That's one thing I like about this site - splitting hairs is allowed and seen often.

I like that they're both on my favorite team, brother. But I would take Worth over either of them.
I was trying to indicate that what Hain and McLaughlin are doing on the ice is working.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

boblee wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
boblee wrote: McLaughlin had 5 points and Hain had four in those two games. Against two top-15 outfits.

I was trying to indicate that what Hain and McLaughlin are doing on the ice is working.
Were either of these guys involved in any of the end of the year stuff last year or this year? I know a GR player or players were involved in some stuff that went on after the game or games. If so then Worth is the better player to have since I don't think he has been so you can count on him to be there at game time. A level of maturity that indicates a lot.