Schwan's Gold Tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be crowned Champion

St. Thomas Academy
2%
Holy Angels
7%
Duluth East
48%
Burnsville
5%
Hill Murray
7%
Minnetonka
24%
Blaine
1%
Edina
7%

Total votes: 102

PuckU126

Re: AHA Gold

Post by PuckU126 »

Listen2me wrote:The chances of AHA opting out of anything sports related are probably as good as STA moving to AA class.
:lol:

This is true, and its a great connection.

8)
The Puck
LGW
shotpassskate

Post by shotpassskate »

AHA won silver last year, got moved up. Should they be in gold this year? No. But their is no way for them to opt down.
This team is hurt by no seniors on the team and 2 jr's that have played and contributed in the past year's. The 1 transfer and the 2 players that left the program hurt, that is 3 forwards with varsity playing time leaving a program.
As an AHA fan it is sad to see this happen this year but it happens and you take the loses and you build for the future even if the future looks very dark at this time. You don't blame the team you play for beating you by 10, 11,2 or even 1, you go out with your head high play the game the right way and continue to work hard.
What is the story with #15 not playing today for AHA? Was he out sick?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

DE up 2-1 over STA in 2nd.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Is there a stream for this? Anyone broadcasting these games?
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

HShockeywatcher

Re: Holy Angels

Post by HShockeywatcher »

seek & destroy wrote:
outside_observer wrote:Boo Hoo, were you on a bad team as a youngster "Seek"? You should probably change you name to "Seek and Just do enough to barely win, then we can all be Classy"
Maybe Burnsville should have put their JV on the ice to make it fair. That would have been classy.
You play the game until it is over. And you play as hard as you can.
I seem to remember they were up by 3 last year in the third and lost to AHA. Maybe they were being classy and let them come back.
First, I said that when you are up by 6 (not 3) that most coaches give younger players or 4th line guys a chance to play. It was 7-1 after the 1st period and I think they had a pretty good idea they would win. Second, I said that I would never tell my players to quit trying so I agree with you that you should continue to "play the game until it is over" and "play as hard as you can". I just think once you are clearly going to win you can let other players be the ones to "play as hard as they can" rather than your top guys. That gives those other kids some experience playing at the Varsity level and lets your top guys rest.
This discussion comes up every year in different varieties. There are different "take it easy on the opponent who will lose opinions" and those that say "it is insulting to have an opponent take it easy even if it means getting crushed."

Mine is to keep playing. As a caveat to that I would say that between the 2nd and 3rd periods you talk to your players and see what they think. If you have top line players who are 10th or 11th graders (or mature individuals) they may want their younger teammates to get experience for the future.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

4-2 East after 2. Better period for East, though still off their game. Shots in favor of the Hounds at 17-16. Held off an STA 2-manner.
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

4-2 East after 2. This is the worst that I've seen East play all year. STA seems to have a good 1st line though.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Has anyone used the pay feed and is it worth it? I watched one game on OTSN when it was free and the feed cut out 50% of the time.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Slap Shot wrote:Has anyone used the pay feed and is it worth it? I watched one game on OTSN when it was free and the feed cut out 50% of the time.
The feed is good, at the very least. The commentary yesterday was brutal, though. I probably would have been better off muting the guy. They mentioned they had another broadcaster for the late games--hopefully he is better, and is doing the next few games. (I'm not watching tonight, just checking in. If East holds on, I will watch tomorrow's game.)

I would put the value of the broadcast at less than $8.95, but if you're as interested in these games as I am, it's not too much to swallow.
seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy »

Slap Shot wrote:Has anyone used the pay feed and is it worth it? I watched one game on OTSN when it was free and the feed cut out 50% of the time.
A friend of mine used it yesterday. Was able to watch 3 games for the one price of $8.95. The feed never cut out and she said it was an OK picture.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

karl(east) wrote:
The feed is good, at the very least. The commentary yesterday was brutal, though. I probably would have been better off muting the guy. They mentioned they had another broadcaster for the late games--hopefully he is better, and is doing the next few games. (I'm not watching tonight, just checking in. If East holds on, I will watch tomorrow's game.)

I would put the value of the broadcast at less than $8.95, but if you're as interested in these games as I am, it's not too much to swallow.
Watching an internet feed of an East game while watching palm trees? Tough job. :P

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

StreetStix wrote:4-2 East after 2. This is the worst that I've seen East play all year. STA seems to have a good 1st line though.
Agreed
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Final: Hounds 5, Cadets 4. Very unimpressive performance by East, though Hounds hit 3 or 4 posts, including one with the net empty for STA. Cadets outshoot DE, also.
dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan »

Game update?
"Nothing Runs like a Greyhound"
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

mnmouth wrote:
StreetStix wrote:4-2 East after 2. This is the worst that I've seen East play all year. STA seems to have a good 1st line though.
Agreed
Now 5-3 East so they survived a little scare there. Can't compare this to what I saw in the WBL game but the D played too far off the opposing forwards. Gave 'em too much room. Same deal here?

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

shots
East 25
STA 30
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

5-4 East over St Thomas Academy. It's now a final.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

5-4 East final. Absolute shoddy play by East, no offense meant to STA. Should've been a 6-3 final with an EN but the kid missed a wide open net. I can hear Randolph in the locker room.....
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

StreetStix wrote:5-4 East final. Absolute shoddy play by East, no offense meant to STA. Should've been a 6-3 final with an EN but the kid missed a wide open net. I can hear Randolph in the locker room.....
I don't think I'd want to hear him in the locker room. :mrgreen:

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

east hockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
Agreed
Now 5-3 East so they survived a little scare there. Can't compare this to what I saw in the WBL game but the D played too far off the opposing forwards. Gave 'em too much room. Same deal here?

Lee
Yea the D gave the forwards way too much room, if they had shut that down more we'd have seen half as many shots. STA had some very fast kids though, so I give them credit for making space for themselves.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

east hockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
Agreed

Lee
Yep, that and the fact the Cadets controlled the last 4-5 minutes of each period. Randolph can't be happy.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

mnmouth wrote:
east hockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote: Agreed

Lee
Yep, that and the fact the Cadets controlled the last 4-5 minutes of each period. Randolph can't be happy.
Was Repensky back for this game?

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

east hockey wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
east hockey wrote: Now 5-3 East so they survived a little scare there. Can't compare this to what I saw in the WBL game but the D played too far off the opposing forwards. Gave 'em too much room. Same deal here?

Lee
Was Repensky back for this game?

Lee
Did not see him, nor did I hear his name mentioned. Hope someone can comment definitively.
StreetStix

Post by StreetStix »

No Repensky, and I haven't heard an update on his status yet.