2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BlueLineSpecial

Re: 2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

5girls wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:22 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:55 pm
5girls wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:33 pm

That was me doing the lamenting!

Yes, there's a multi-generational Sampair family at Hill. All part of the grand tradition. Generation after generation and all that. Hill can certainly lay claim to being one of the OG contributors to the demise of community hockey. Congratulations on all the success.

There's also a first generation pair of Sampair boys now at HM whose dad played for Mahtomedi at the same time his brother was building the above mentioned multi-generational-nirvana. He's sworn for years that he would never become part of what Hill stands for...until he sent his kids there, joined by another 4-5 of the best players to come through the Zephyr program in awhile.

Honestly though, I need to pipe down, look in the mirror, and admit my story is old, tired, and full of sour grapes. Few care anymore. The reality is community hockey is dying - for many reasons. And the latest me-first generation is only accelerating the pace. Coupled with the all-star teams many public school programs are building, Hill's status as one of the most hated programs may be starting to fade, much to BlueLine's chagrin!

What do I really want to happen? Mahtomedi opts up to AA. They're playing a AA schedule at the youth level, and already play a significant AA schedule in high school. They have the talent to compete, and at times may even crack the top 15 in AA. Heck, if they opted up, perhaps they'd (gasp!) keep some of the high end talent that I whine about leaving for Hill. Imagine a 4AA Mahtomedi/Hill section final where the Mahtomedi kids are actually playing for Mahtomedi!
No need to pipe down. The board is for banter and I welcome your opinion. If it was a sounding board of exact same opinions I wouldn't be on here. I do believe, rather strongly, that Hill has as much of a claim to community hockey as the next, and as I said above, maybe more. But there will always be people that won't believe or accept that. And that's fine.

I guess my question to all the community hockey evangelists is this: if everyone so fervently believes in the community hockey model, then why do many of the privates and many of the high-profile public schools, keep getting all these players? Hill isn't roaming the neighborhoods in an unmarked white van with Lechner and Co leaping out to steal your kids while they walk home from public school. So why did the current Sampair clan choose Hill when they, apparently, swore them off for years? Why did Bonin send his kid to Hill? Clearly going to WB didn't hurt his career at all. So maybe, just maybe, people go for all sorts of reasons. Maybe its education. Maybe it's that sense of community that apparently no one can have except public schools. Maybe it's for religious reasons. Maybe they think the coach and system is better for a kid. Whatever the reason, it's happening. And there's still plenty of student athletes to go 'round. WB hasn't fallen off the hockey map; they were ranked higher than Hill. Mahtomedi is doing just fine; barely a layer of dust on that championship trophy for a couple of years ago and a guaranteed trip to state in 4A every year. So I think it's handwringing for no real reason. There's plenty of schools or reasons to hate the perceived demise of community hockey. Hill is hardly at the top of that list.
Ahhh yes, out comes the altruistic greatest hits record on why so many of the East Metro's best hockey players opt for HM: 'For just tens of thousands of dollars per year, your Very Special Unicorn can escape the trials and tribulations of their subpar public school experience and reach his/her full potential with better education, sense of community, religion, the best coaches, and the best system'. Maybe. Just maybe.

Or, the real reason just may be a bit more insidious. Maybe it doesn't have much to do with HM apologists' greatest hits record. Maybe it's just one reason. Maybe the opportunity to stroke a big check every year in exchange for one's Very Special Unicorn to play on an all star team loaded up with the best talent from around the East Metro schools - with a clear path to state most years directly through the very schools 'these players' formerly attended is just too good to pass up. And the parents can put their minds at ease. After all, there's still plenty of athletes to go 'round.

You'll have to elaborate on HM's claim to community hockey. Tell me about HM's Try Hockey For Free programs, tying 5yr olds' skates, wiping noses, warming up feet, hosting outdoor jamborees with bonfires and donuts, supporting families whose parents are working with carpools, locker room moms, supporting teams of AA-C caliber players, never cutting a player, etc, etc. Communities do that. HM does not. HM waits outside the local community arenas in white Lechner and Co vans.

Last, I have to admit 3 things. 1) This isn't totally HM's fault. They've simply followed the 'if we build it, they will come' approach. I don't subscribe to the belief some hold that HM is running around recruiting kids. Frankly, they don't have to do that. I put this on the parents and the slow circling of the drain into a me first society. 2) HM isn't close to the worst anymore. At least parents are writing big checks for the duration of their Very Special Unicorn's high school (cough) careers. While many want to label HM as the poster child for what's wrong - they're really not that any more. They're the OGs, sure. But there are worse out there. Much worse. 3) If I'm BlueLine I immediately point to Mahtomedi's Class A status as a big reason high end kids leave (he actually kinda did that with the passive aggressive 'guaranteed trip to state' zinger above - well played). Can't argue with him there. Zephyrs should move up. It'd be good for 4A, and good for 4AA.
1) I've never once pointed to Mahtomedi's class A status in the above thread. Don't try and put words in my mouth.
2) For someone so keen to keep all these great players from Mahtomedi, you sure think badly of them. And their parents/families. If they're such a drain on society with their me-first mentality and their kids are such Very Special Unicorns, why would you so desperately want them to stay?
3) Hill does all sorts of stuff for the community. So does the hockey team and plenty of others associated with the school. Apparently you viewed my comment to strictly mean youth hockey community (wiping noses lol, carpooling. Although I'm sure if little varsity 17 year old Timmy really needs his nose wiped, we can accommodate). I won't elaborate or belabor this point because your comment on it is so weak as to not need much retort.
4) Just to be clear, we took the Sampairs and "4-5 of the best players to come through in a while"? Yet they all needed to leave to play on "an all-star team loaded up with the best talent from around the East Metro schools"? Sounds like they already had that. Guess there was some other reason. But nah. Those horrid Mahtomedi parents and their soft lil unicorns must have only decided to pay thousands of dollars a year because of their me-first attitude.

Yikes. Get a grip.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

We need a separate “HM thread”.
Not as good as the Herm thread but moving that way.
And not as harsh as the we hate Warroad girls thread.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:21 pm We need a separate “HM thread”.
I don't see a "we hate Warroad girls" thread. Wanna start one? #-o

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

There are a number of reasons why "community hockey" is not what it once was. Yes, the success of the private schools is one of those reasons, although Hill is not by any means the only private school having success, although it was the first. St. Thomas, Benilde and, to a slightly lesser extent, Cretin have all reached the same level as Hill in recent years. A big factor in the loss of "community hockey" is one that is going to really be hard for some people to hear. That is the fact that public schools are losing students. The pandemic increased this loss because most private schools were in session while many public schools were still distance learning. As painful as it is for some people to hear, there are parents out there who send their children, both athletes and non-athletes, to private schools for a higher quality education. Finally. open enrollment has also contributed to the decline in "community hockey". It used to be that a kid either played for his/her home district school or went private. Now a student, whether an athlete or not, can , at least in theory, go almost anywhere.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, Friday's game should be a very good matchup. I was impressed with Gentry last night. They completely dominated the last two periods against White Bear. I think the x factor Friday night will be how well Gentry can deal with the big stage. Yes, they were in the tournament two years ago, but Class A is not the same. Games like this are old hat for Hill, which is playing in its 18th consecutive section final. Hill's problem all year has been an inability to score goals but, as usual, they are playing their best hockey of the year at section time. If I had to make a pick, I'd say 3-2 Gentry, but it's a coin flip game. I don't expect which ever team wins Friday to do much next week, but once you get to the tournament, anything can happen. Best of luck to both teams.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:33 pm
I don't see a "we hate Warroad girls" thread. Wanna start one? #-o

Lee
You have to pull apart the tourney thread
BlueLineSpecial

Every thread that has anything to do with….

Hill Murray
WBL
4AA
Suburban East
Metro East
East Metro
Privates
Publics that lost players
Apparently now Mahtomedi too

….is a HM thread. Apparently folks can’t help but bring Hill into the conversation. It’s quite flattering. Maybe Hill wouldn’t be as prominent if everyone didn’t discuss them nonstop :idea:
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

we hate Warroad girls? I didn't know. Adding it to the list...
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:50 pm
we hate Warroad girls? I didn't know. Adding it to the list...
Read the girls high school thread
5girls

Post by 5girls »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:16 pm
5girls wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:22 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:55 pm

No need to pipe down. The board is for banter and I welcome your opinion. If it was a sounding board of exact same opinions I wouldn't be on here. I do believe, rather strongly, that Hill has as much of a claim to community hockey as the next, and as I said above, maybe more. But there will always be people that won't believe or accept that. And that's fine.

I guess my question to all the community hockey evangelists is this: if everyone so fervently believes in the community hockey model, then why do many of the privates and many of the high-profile public schools, keep getting all these players? Hill isn't roaming the neighborhoods in an unmarked white van with Lechner and Co leaping out to steal your kids while they walk home from public school. So why did the current Sampair clan choose Hill when they, apparently, swore them off for years? Why did Bonin send his kid to Hill? Clearly going to WB didn't hurt his career at all. So maybe, just maybe, people go for all sorts of reasons. Maybe its education. Maybe it's that sense of community that apparently no one can have except public schools. Maybe it's for religious reasons. Maybe they think the coach and system is better for a kid. Whatever the reason, it's happening. And there's still plenty of student athletes to go 'round. WB hasn't fallen off the hockey map; they were ranked higher than Hill. Mahtomedi is doing just fine; barely a layer of dust on that championship trophy for a couple of years ago and a guaranteed trip to state in 4A every year. So I think it's handwringing for no real reason. There's plenty of schools or reasons to hate the perceived demise of community hockey. Hill is hardly at the top of that list.
Ahhh yes, out comes the altruistic greatest hits record on why so many of the East Metro's best hockey players opt for HM: 'For just tens of thousands of dollars per year, your Very Special Unicorn can escape the trials and tribulations of their subpar public school experience and reach his/her full potential with better education, sense of community, religion, the best coaches, and the best system'. Maybe. Just maybe.

Or, the real reason just may be a bit more insidious. Maybe it doesn't have much to do with HM apologists' greatest hits record. Maybe it's just one reason. Maybe the opportunity to stroke a big check every year in exchange for one's Very Special Unicorn to play on an all star team loaded up with the best talent from around the East Metro schools - with a clear path to state most years directly through the very schools 'these players' formerly attended is just too good to pass up. And the parents can put their minds at ease. After all, there's still plenty of athletes to go 'round.

You'll have to elaborate on HM's claim to community hockey. Tell me about HM's Try Hockey For Free programs, tying 5yr olds' skates, wiping noses, warming up feet, hosting outdoor jamborees with bonfires and donuts, supporting families whose parents are working with carpools, locker room moms, supporting teams of AA-C caliber players, never cutting a player, etc, etc. Communities do that. HM does not. HM waits outside the local community arenas in white Lechner and Co vans.

Last, I have to admit 3 things. 1) This isn't totally HM's fault. They've simply followed the 'if we build it, they will come' approach. I don't subscribe to the belief some hold that HM is running around recruiting kids. Frankly, they don't have to do that. I put this on the parents and the slow circling of the drain into a me first society. 2) HM isn't close to the worst anymore. At least parents are writing big checks for the duration of their Very Special Unicorn's high school (cough) careers. While many want to label HM as the poster child for what's wrong - they're really not that any more. They're the OGs, sure. But there are worse out there. Much worse. 3) If I'm BlueLine I immediately point to Mahtomedi's Class A status as a big reason high end kids leave (he actually kinda did that with the passive aggressive 'guaranteed trip to state' zinger above - well played). Can't argue with him there. Zephyrs should move up. It'd be good for 4A, and good for 4AA.
1) I've never once pointed to Mahtomedi's class A status in the above thread. Don't try and put words in my mouth.
2) For someone so keen to keep all these great players from Mahtomedi, you sure think badly of them. And their parents/families. If they're such a drain on society with their me-first mentality and their kids are such Very Special Unicorns, why would you so desperately want them to stay?
3) Hill does all sorts of stuff for the community. So does the hockey team and plenty of others associated with the school. Apparently you viewed my comment to strictly mean youth hockey community (wiping noses lol, carpooling. Although I'm sure if little varsity 17 year old Timmy really needs his nose wiped, we can accommodate). I won't elaborate or belabor this point because your comment on it is so weak as to not need much retort.
4) Just to be clear, we took the Sampairs and "4-5 of the best players to come through in a while"? Yet they all needed to leave to play on "an all-star team loaded up with the best talent from around the East Metro schools"? Sounds like they already had that. Guess there was some other reason. But nah. Those horrid Mahtomedi parents and their soft lil unicorns must have only decided to pay thousands of dollars a year because of their me-first attitude.

Yikes. Get a grip.
1) I said that's what I'd say if I was you. Simply expressing the obvious counterpoint to what I'm sharing. That said, the haughty and patronizing snark around 'guaranteed trips to state 4A' and such sorta give away your position.

2) Nah, they're all good people, and good kids. I just disagree. That, and I was trying to make the point that despite your not acknowledging it (well, other than 'whatever the reason...') there may be a kernel of truth to the allure of paying to play on a AA all star team that often has it's own guaranteed trip to state. Doesn't sound like you're going to go there.

3) Again with the patronizing and snark. I was referring to youth hockey communities/programs. There's no substitute for the literal thousands of volunteer hours and support that go into these programs every year and how they prop up communities at large and ALL hockey players. HM provides zero support to these programs - the source of their tradition and success. It only takes from them. Your complete dismissal speaks volumes. Yes, I'm sure HM does wonderful work in the community. But that's different.

4) They did already have that. If that group had stuck together it had the potential to be one of the better Zephyrs teams in a long time. So yeah, extra disappointing. There's another reason as well. HM is AA. Mahtomedi should move up. My theory is they'd keep more high end kids.
BlueLineSpecial

Last I'll say on this:

These are your quotes:

Yes, there's a multi-generational Sampair family at Hill. All part of the grand tradition. Generation after generation and all that. Hill can certainly lay claim to being one of the OG contributors to the demise of community hockey. Congratulations on all the success.

Hill's status as one of the most hated programs may be starting to fade, much to BlueLine's chagrin!

After all, there's still plenty of athletes to go 'round.

And there's plenty more but I'm bored with this debate and I only have so much time to cut and paste.

Your posts are snarky. Your posts are patronizing. I'm more than happy to talk about hockey. Thats impossible with people like you, because you can't just enjoy the game. You've got to make it about the fall of western civilization and community hockey. Or like SEC Scotty who follows me around on this board like a lost puppy dog making snide remarks to half my posts. So I'll gladly give it back to you. And I'm armed with plenty of ammo. I have no beef with Mahtomedi or White Bear. But you're the ones that have an issue with Hill and can't help yourself but to take shots and talk everything but the actual game. So then out comes the mocking and the 0-19 taunts or the patronizing comments. Right back at you.

Enjoy your evening
5girls

Post by 5girls »

Dangit. And here I was thinking that was a great conversation!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I'm sticking with Hill 2-1 tonight. One of these teams will enter the X next week without a quality win. I discount any HDM win, and while there may be a slight argument that Hill's win over STA and Gentry's win over WB are quality wins, they are very marginal in that respect.

Looking at Gentry's record, I don't see anything there, save a nice win over a slumping Bears squad that barely survived Tartan, and we all know Sager's teams never improve over the season. And don't try to sell me on a 7-0 win over Roseville.

Hill has no quality wins. The only thing I can say about Hill's record is the pair of very narrow losses to Edina.

Again, I have to state that the true test of Hill hatred is the state tournament games with Edina. And at those games, there is a very slight but detectable amount of applause for Edina's goals (from neutral fans) that is not there for Hill goals. It's really amusing, that the Hill haters hate us so much, they insist were not the most hated. They don't want us to have that badge of honor.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:01 am I'm sticking with Hill 2-1 tonight. One of these teams will enter the X next week without a quality win. I discount any HDM win, and while there may be a slight argument that Hill's win over STA and Gentry's win over WB are quality wins, they are very marginal in that respect.

Looking at Gentry's record, I don't see anything there, save a nice win over a slumping Bears squad that barely survived Tartan, and we all know Sager's teams never improve over the season. And don't try to sell me on a 7-0 win over Roseville.

Hill has no quality wins. The only thing I can say about Hill's record is the pair of very narrow losses to Edina.

Again, I have to state that the true test of Hill hatred is the state tournament games with Edina. And at those games, there is a very slight but detectable amount of applause for Edina's goals (from neutral fans) that is not there for Hill goals. It's really amusing, that the Hill haters hate us so much, they insist were not the most hated. They don't want us to have that badge of honor.
I assume that's Jack Erickson is goal from last year's tourney? He was my favorite player to watch in goal. I'd give the edge to Gentry, but Jack's in goal so who knows. :D
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Funny story last year at the tourney. Some kids were sitting in my section during the 3rd place game, and we were cheering for Hill because of their goalie. When I went up to use the bathroom there was a middle aged man there getting pissed "at those f--king kids" because they were cheering for Hill I assume. Maybe they said something to him. I dunno. Anyway Hill scored in OT and we were high fiving each other. :mrgreen:
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

I'd put my money on Gentry. Too much horsepower for hill to hold back.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Smooth wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:22 am I'd put my money on Gentry. Too much horsepower for hill to hold back.
So, where were those horses when they lost 8 games over a soft schedule? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what the basis is for what you're saying.

Ticket sales are anemic.
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

2 points
1. Hill does recruit, by the use of discounted tuition for student athletes.

2. Gentry is bringing this behavior to a new level. Especially by cheating Minnesota taxpayers by taking public funding as a charter school.
BlueLineSpecial

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:01 am I'm sticking with Hill 2-1 tonight. One of these teams will enter the X next week without a quality win. I discount any HDM win, and while there may be a slight argument that Hill's win over STA and Gentry's win over WB are quality wins, they are very marginal in that respect.

Gentry beat Chanhassen in February. They were outshot heavily, but they won. Same Chanhassen team that nearly beat the #1 team in the state last night. Chanhassen is a top 5 team is most everyone's rankings. They've got a 7 game win streak going and just mauled the #8 (Karl's ranking) team in state. They clearly have a goalie that can stand on his head if needed to. But then there's head scratchers in there as well. Tonight will be as big a mystery game as any section final ever has been. What Hill team shows up? What Gentry team shows up? I have no idea. I could literally see this game going 6-1 Gentry or 6-1 Hill
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

East Side Pioneer Guy

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:42 pm

Gentry beat Chanhassen in February. They were outshot heavily, but they won. Same Chanhassen team that nearly beat the #1 team in the state last night. Chanhassen is a top 5 team is most everyone's rankings. They've got a 7 game win streak going and just mauled the #8 (Karl's ranking) team in state. They clearly have a goalie that can stand on his head if needed to. But then there's head scratchers in there as well. Tonight will be as big a mystery game as any section final ever has been. What Hill team shows up? What Gentry team shows up? I have no idea. I could literally see this game going 6-1 Gentry or 6-1 Hill
Blue, I missed the win against Chanhassen, which comes with greater weight since it was late season. Still, I'm baffled by the confidence of some here predicting a big Gentry win. It could happen, but it's really an even money game. I'm still saying Hill 2-1, counting on Erickson in net and Lex behind the bench.
Hockey Is For Everyone
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:15 pm Last I'll say on this:

These are your quotes:

Hill's status as one of the most hated programs may be starting to fade, much to BlueLine's chagrin!

And there's plenty more but I'm bored with this debate and I only have so much time to cut and paste.

Your posts are snarky. Your posts are patronizing. I'm more than happy to talk about hockey. Thats impossible with people like you, because you can't just enjoy the game. You've got to make it about the fall of western civilization and community hockey. Or like SEC Scotty who follows me around on this board like a lost puppy dog making snide remarks to half my posts. So I'll gladly give it back to you. And I'm armed with plenty of ammo. I have no beef with Mahtomedi or White Bear. But you're the ones that have an issue with Hill and can't help yourself but to take shots and talk everything but the actual game. So then out comes the mocking and the 0-19 taunts or the patronizing comments. Right back at you.

Enjoy your evening
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm

These are your quotes:

Enjoy your evening
Lost puppy dog? You’re a dimwit. Why would I follow you anywhere? You couldn’t pay me to go to tonight’s game at Aldrich and I haven’t missed one in years.
Last edited by SEC Scotty on Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlueLineSpecial

SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:45 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm

These are your quotes:

Enjoy your evening
Lost puppy dog? Your pretty much a dimwit. Why would I follow you anywhere? You couldn’t pay me to go to tonight’s game at Aldrich and I haven’t missed one in years.
Thanks for proving my point
East Side Pioneer Guy

inthetwine wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:30 pm 2 points

2. Gentry is bringing this behavior to a new level. Especially by cheating Minnesota taxpayers by taking public funding as a charter school.
Could you flesh out your point about Gentry? Charters by definition are public schools that get state aid for each student. How, specifically, does Gentry differ from other public charters?

Also, is Gentry "tuition-free", but there are hefty charges for ice time? Or other notable fees?
Hockey Is For Everyone
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:28 pm
inthetwine wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:30 pm 2 points

Could you flesh out your point about Gentry? Charters by definition are public schools that get state aid for each student. How, specifically, does Gentry differ from other public charters?

Also, is Gentry "tuition-free", but there are hefty charges for ice time? Or other notable fees?
All schools get state and federal money even hill Murray gets state and federal money what’s the big deal I remember when Hill murray had kids from Sweden