Wild vs. Ducks--Western Conference Quarterfinals

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dangla.

Post by dangla. »

ChrisK wrote:Nice win for the Wild last night.

But I found the Wild TV announcers really annoying. In the 3rd period they were complaining endlessly about the refs. I had a chance to watch the 3rd period again this morning with my son who had to go to bed before the game ended. They whined about the ref calling off the 5th goal, but I saw a Wild player with a skate in the crease in front of the goalie, it looked like the right call to me.

Another play looked bad, Wes Walz was checked from behind with no call and then got penalized when he retaliated. A closer look at this play revealed that Walz turned his back at the last second so the Duck player had no chance to let up and to me it looked like Walz retaliated by clipping Pronger in the head with a high stick. In other words, the refs got it right. The play was replayed maybe twice, showing the check from behind which looked bad from the angle they showed and then a high shot that showed the end of the play but there was no close shot of Walz clipping Pronger.

In general I have found these announcers to be homers to the nth degree without adding much insight or perspective.

Despite that annoyance, it was a fun game to watch. The Ducks played airtight hockey the first three games but when this game got out of hand their play deteriorated and they turned to cheap shots and intimidation tactics. It will be interesting to see if the Ducks return to playing hockey in the next game or if they're still distracted by the physical extraneous stuff.
wow you must not like the wild did you see the whole place they were all booing
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

dangla. wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Nice win for the Wild last night.

But I found the Wild TV announcers really annoying. In the 3rd period they were complaining endlessly about the refs. I had a chance to watch the 3rd period again this morning with my son who had to go to bed before the game ended. They whined about the ref calling off the 5th goal, but I saw a Wild player with a skate in the crease in front of the goalie, it looked like the right call to me.

Another play looked bad, Wes Walz was checked from behind with no call and then got penalized when he retaliated. A closer look at this play revealed that Walz turned his back at the last second so the Duck player had no chance to let up and to me it looked like Walz retaliated by clipping Pronger in the head with a high stick. In other words, the refs got it right. The play was replayed maybe twice, showing the check from behind which looked bad from the angle they showed and then a high shot that showed the end of the play but there was no close shot of Walz clipping Pronger.

In general I have found these announcers to be homers to the nth degree without adding much insight or perspective.

Despite that annoyance, it was a fun game to watch. The Ducks played airtight hockey the first three games but when this game got out of hand their play deteriorated and they turned to cheap shots and intimidation tactics. It will be interesting to see if the Ducks return to playing hockey in the next game or if they're still distracted by the physical extraneous stuff.
wow you must not like the wild did you see the whole place they were all booing
Where did I say I didn't like the Wild? Big difference between the announcers and the team. The crowd can boo all they want, heck they paid for that right, but good announcers should be able to describe what's going on without sounding like they're from Rube Central. Don't worry, I'll try using the sound from the radio for the next game.
Edinagoalie0

Post by Edinagoalie0 »

Ducks have replaced the canucks as the classless team of the NHL. Sucker punches, cheapshots, hooking, slashing, fighting, intimidation, and intent to injure make up the duck's game plan. The fact that every duck player out there wasn't kicked out of the game is amazing to me. the commissioner needs to step in here before more players meet the same fate as Kim Johnsson. The people responsible are the players, the Ducks GM (who decided he wanted big cheap players to make up his team), and the ducks coaching staff. This is not how hockey is played! I'm sorry that there are few Duck's fans that know enough about hockey to argue with me, but you better look out for Boogaard and Burns in games 5, 6, and 7.
gtimehocey

Post by gtimehocey »

Edinagoalie0 wrote: I'm sorry that there are few Duck's fans that know enough about hockey to argue with me, but you better look out for Boogaard and Burns in games 5, 6, and 7.
hahaha
gtimehocey

Post by gtimehocey »

ChrisK wrote:Another play looked bad, Wes Walz was checked from behind with no call and then got penalized when he retaliated. A closer look at this play revealed that Walz turned his back at the last second so the Duck player had no chance to let up and to me it looked like Walz retaliated by clipping Pronger in the head with a high stick. In other words, the refs got it right. The play was replayed maybe twice, showing the check from behind which looked bad from the angle they showed and then a high shot that showed the end of the play but there was no close shot of Walz clipping Pronger.
Actually when you take another look at the play you see that Walz doesnt have the puck back turned and the other guy skate full speed from the blue line. He even clipped the ref on the way there and actually knocking him over. So the ref couldnt see the hit so he didnt call the penalty.
boblee

post 7766

Post by boblee »

BOOGAARD BOOGAARD
highschoolhockeyfan

Post by highschoolhockeyfan »

ill give boogaaard 15 mintures till he knocks someone out of course someone not smart enough to figure he has no chance
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

You can either instigate or retaliate in this game. He who instigates in the NHL playoffs takes insurmountable 3-1 series leads. They then take their black eyes and accusations of dirty play to the next round.
Knowlzee

Can't wait for tonight.

Post by Knowlzee »

Very entertaining game the other night,....and the Wild may have regained some confidence in the process,....we will find out. I agree with IS, the task is formidable. Overall, the Ducks are a stronger team, but the Wild seemed to also gain some heart. Tonight, we will find out how much of it was generated from the home crowd.

With regard to the reffing, I have to side with the announcers,....they did not have control of that game, and the Ducks took advantage,.....which wasn't impressive, as they are better than that. Nice to have Boogard in that situation.

Not sure if the Wild have the defensive corps to stop the Ducks. If they can continue as they finished the other night, it should be fun to watch. Just maybe, some lost confidence is back,.....we'll see. Can't wait for tonight.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Both teams came together before warm ups and it didn't look like there was any apologies. This could be interesting.
highschoolhockeyfan

Post by highschoolhockeyfan »

haha i guess i was right
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Selanne was hit in the face with a puck in the warm ups and is a possible scratch. Big advantage for the Wild if he can't play.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Never mind Selanne is playing.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

1-0 Ducks score early
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

State Champ 97 wrote:1-0 Ducks score early
:evil:
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Gaborik ties it up 1-1 with a shorthanded goal. Boogaard in the box on a four minute high stick.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Ducks go up 2-1 with a PP goal.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Have Boogie beat up Pronger, that is my goal for the game. Oh and a win would be sweet.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

I'm beginning to really not like the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim. :evil:
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

That will do it. Ducks get the empty netter. 4-1. It was a good year but a disappointing ending.
Knowlzee

Insurmountable, was right.

Post by Knowlzee »

IS had it pegged, the Ducks at home with a 3-1 lead, was insurmountable. Confidence lost or gained by the Wild had little to do with anything.

The Ducks were like a Bully that let the little guy up for a few swings,....and then kicked sand in his face, again.

Like the second part (not often heard) of the phrase goes, "when talent (Ducks) works hard,.....hardwork (Wild) loses."
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

gtimehocey wrote:
ChrisK wrote:Another play looked bad, Wes Walz was checked from behind with no call and then got penalized when he retaliated. A closer look at this play revealed that Walz turned his back at the last second so the Duck player had no chance to let up and to me it looked like Walz retaliated by clipping Pronger in the head with a high stick. In other words, the refs got it right. The play was replayed maybe twice, showing the check from behind which looked bad from the angle they showed and then a high shot that showed the end of the play but there was no close shot of Walz clipping Pronger.
Actually when you take another look at the play you see that Walz doesnt have the puck back turned and the other guy skate full speed from the blue line. He even clipped the ref on the way there and actually knocking him over. So the ref couldnt see the hit so he didnt call the penalty.
I did. You're right, they might have been able to call charging on that but Walz is digging for the puck and turns his back at the last second to go for the puck. Still no excuse for getting his stick up on Pronger. And I still think the announcers are annoying, but enough about that.

Whoever noted that the Ducks are the new villains of the NHL is right. There was an article in SI earlier this year about how the Ducks boastfully acknowledged that their gameplan is to be physical and if that means a few fights, bring it on. As someone who likes speed, finesse and skill, I'd hate to see the game revert back to the Broad Street Bully days of the '70s. I don't like the fighting but I can put up with two guys squaring off in the heat of the game. Crap like May's cheap shot of Johnsson should have no place in hockey, May should've been shelved for the playoffs without pay and the Ducks should lose that spot in their roster. Three games is a joke. And the thing is, the Ducks have enough skill on their roster that they don't need to play that way.
northwoods oldtimer

Dump and Chase

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Got to love that Dump and Chase the Wild displayed over and over again. Lets see it never worked for three straight games finally in game 4 they carry into the zone and get traffic to the net and score some goals...game 5 back to dump and chase. What was up with that. You got to love a team who pulls their goalie with 2 minutes left and still gives up control of the puck. What the......?

Ducks indeed a very tough team and the Wild were clearly overmatched all series but man make an adjustment!
woody22

Post by woody22 »

Exactly, there is no way you are going to score in the last minutes of the game if you dump it in every time you cross the red line. Even on the PP all they did was dump and chase and could never get anything going.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

woody22 wrote:Exactly, there is no way you are going to score in the last minutes of the game if you dump it in every time you cross the red line. Even on the PP all they did was dump and chase and could never get anything going.
Amen! Heck they were dumping and chasing during the 5 on 3. It's been my impression that Bouchard is one of the Wild's better players at skating it into the zone but he was invisible last night.