Eden Prairie: Student Walk Out to Athletic Fall Out

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:If you think is going to keep the "yutes" clean and sober, good for you. I think not. Further, in your line of work, you better than most should understand what inevitably will happen. Parent of student who has been reprimanded takes it to a higher level and eventually the reprimand gets overturned and the impacted student learns an excellent lesson on how the real world works.

AY 8)
The real world works just fine most of the time to deter this kind of behavior. I do not belive in proceeding as if all kids will ineviatbly consume, even though we know some will.

I think the "boys will be boys" approach has gotten us into deep trouble and is wrong.

So, when did the Payne Reliever close?
Like anything else with teenagers, you almost have to lighten the "taboo" aspect of underage drinking. Anything that is going to cause you to flirt with disaster is popular with kids... booze, drugs, sex, private school hockey... they're all attracted to it, because the adults are telling them "no". Parents want their kids to go to church, and get a job - guess what? They're unpopular.

Add to the fact that the kids are now tv stars, and you've got yourself a real problem. I went off on a similar rant on a thread that got nuked, but the media needs to treat these "stories" like they do suicides and don't report them for a couple of reasons:

#1 - They're not really stories. It's "well to do" kids getting trouble. So what? It's a parental issue (and since a "pledge"was signed, a school one).
#2 - This may be a bad comparison, but I think I have a point... 20 years ago, we heard nothing of school shootings other than the University of Texas shootings. Now are the days of the copycats. One dumb thing a kid does gets him some attention... they all want to do it.

I don't have any bright ideas on how you blur the line between educating them of the dangers, and making it not as "taboo", but it's almost always a root cause for the trouble kids get into.

And I'm not sure when the Payne Reliever closed, but it's been many years. I haven't been down Payne Ave. in a couple of years (when I go back to the Eastside, I usually cruise Arcade, Maryland, and the lake - that's my old stomping grounds), but the last time I did, the Reliever had been converted into a bingo hall.
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Govs93 wrote:
packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:If you think is going to keep the "yutes" clean and sober, good for you. I think not. Further, in your line of work, you better than most should understand what inevitably will happen. Parent of student who has been reprimanded takes it to a higher level and eventually the reprimand gets overturned and the impacted student learns an excellent lesson on how the real world works.

AY 8)
The real world works just fine most of the time to deter this kind of behavior. I do not belive in proceeding as if all kids will ineviatbly consume, even though we know some will.

I think the "boys will be boys" approach has gotten us into deep trouble and is wrong.

Like anything else with teenagers, you almost have to lighten the "taboo" aspect of underage drinking. Anything that is going to to cause you to flirt with disaster is popular with kids... booze, drugs, sex, private school hockey... they're all attracted to it, because the adults are telling them "no". Parents want their kids to go to church, and get a job - guess what? They're unpopular.

Add to the fact that the kids are now tv stars, and you've got yourself a real problem. I went off on a similar rant on a thread that got nuked, but the media needs to treat these "stories" like they do suicides and don't report them for a couple of reasons:

#1 - They're not really stories. It's "well to do" kids getting trouble. So what? It's a parental issue (and since a "pledge"was signed, a school one).
#2 - This may be a bad comparison, but I think I have a point... 20 years ago, we heard nothing of school shootings other than the University of Texas shootings. Now are the days of the copycats. One dumb thing a kid does gets him some attention... they all want to do it.

I don't have any bright ideas on how you blur the line between educating them of the dangers, and making it not as "taboo", but it's almost always a root cause for the trouble kids get into.

And I'm not sure when the Payne Reliever closed, but it's been many years. I haven't been down Payne Ave. in a couple of years (when I go back to the Eastside, I usually cruise Arcade, Maryland, and the lake - that's my old stomping grounds), but the last time I did, the Reliever had been converted into a bingo hall.
Nail on Head.

AY 8)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Govs93 wrote:
packerboy wrote:

AY 8)

Like anything else with teenagers, you almost have to lighten the "taboo" aspect of underage drinking. Anything that is going to cause you to flirt with disaster is popular with kids... booze, drugs, sex, private school hockey... they're all attracted to it, because the adults are telling them "no". Parents want their kids to go to church, and get a job - guess what? They're unpopular.

Permissive, liberal rubbish.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

packerboy wrote:
Govs93 wrote:
packerboy wrote: The real world works just fine most of the time to deter this kind of behavior. I do not belive in proceeding as if all kids will ineviatbly consume, even though we know some will.

Permissive, liberal rubbish.
I believe a vast majority of Eden Prairie is "red" is it not? How's that working out?
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Good answer, PB. If that is liberal rubbish, which I don't see, maybe it's time to try something different as your "conservative" approach could maybe be improved upon.

Sad to say, but I spent more time on the "band" side of the Reliever than I did on the "shaker" side of the establishment.

AY 8)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Of course , as always, its important how you ask the question.

who_b_dat

Post by who_b_dat »

The Payne Reliever closed ~1994. One need not fret, however, as they can still light the lamp a few miles away at the Lamplighter, aka LimpLifter. Be careful thought as there is a lot of checking in the place. Stick check, hip check and if you are really fortunate even a poke check.