Hill-Murray vs. BSM 3/10 AA Championship

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Hill-Murray
33%
BSM
68%

Total votes: 40

Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:A bit of advice: I wouldn't let an all-private final upset what has otherwise been a fine year of hockey. To rest the entire season on such a make-or-break outlook isn't good.
I'll see your "isn't good" and raise you to "childish".

In A, there's a fair argument...In AA, it's the sourest of grapes.
CRS

Post by CRS »

BSM 4-3. Benilde is on a mission.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Melvin wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:A bit of advice: I wouldn't let an all-private final upset what has otherwise been a fine year of hockey. To rest the entire season on such a make-or-break outlook isn't good.
I'll see your "isn't good" and raise you to "childish".

In A, there's a fair argument...In AA, it's the sourest of grapes.
Well said.

What impresses me about Benilde is they have the best passing of any team and their shots come off the sticks clean.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
puck81

Post by puck81 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: All-Stars, cherry picked players from other teams, anybody can coach all-stars, blah, blah, blah... :cry: :cry: :cry: What a bunch of government school whiners!!!! They are teaching you well.

It's not the private schools fault that your big dogs didn't show up for the quarterfinals. Just kick all the private school's out of the MSHSL and then the government school kids can hold up their watered down championship trophies and "feel" good about themselves.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

I don't understand the cherry picking comments. I get the kids coming from other associations, but it happens at the public level to. Great example is is DE goalie. Has no ties in Duluth and is there to play hockey. Without him as starting goalie, DE might not have even made state. Not that they don't have very good skaters, but goalie would have been a huge problem. Edina gets "move ins" as does other schools. The Allstar comment also is interesting because a vast majority of the time a public school wins the AA title. HM makes it to state so often because of the section they come out of. BSM has only made it 4 or 5 times. While they are in the toughest section the state, if they were truly all stars they would make it to state more often. Both teams are playing very good hockey right now and it should be a great game.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

hockeygirl2 wrote:I don't understand the cherry picking comments. I get the kids coming from other associations, but it happens at the public level to. Great example is is DE goalie. Has no ties in Duluth and is there to play hockey. Without him as starting goalie, DE might not have even made state. Not that they don't have very good skaters, but goalie would have been a huge problem. Edina gets "move ins" as does other schools. The Allstar comment also is interesting because a vast majority of the time a public school wins the AA title. HM makes it to state so often because of the section they come out of. BSM has only made it 4 or 5 times. While they are in the toughest section the state, if they were truly all stars they would make it to state more often. Both teams are playing very good hockey right now and it should be a great game.
And the fact BSM has only been in AA less than a decade! Get your facts straight hockey girl. I think east probably still makes state without their "move in" goalie too. You think they have some "pretty good skaters" too hah? Good thoughts.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Sats,

Since you seem to be very angry and uninformed, BSM has made it 4 times in their HISTORY. Twice at the A level and twice at the AA level. As far as their goalie, did you see what Minnetonka did without him? They have some very good skaters, but without a goalie you can only go so far. So sats, settle down!!
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

HM makes it to state so often because of the section they come out of.
Dont you have some girl scout cookies to sell today "hockey girl"? You private lovers make me puke a little in my mouth. Section 4 is a very competitive section with teams that develop great players for Hill to "cherry pick" from.

When all privates from A move up to AA you can take all of em and throw em in their own tournament.

Ya I'll watch tonite and pray for a East all star loss. GO JABS
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Don't you have a "bitter pill" to swallow? My kids go to public schools. I hope Hermantown wins tonight because that's a great story. I don't care who wins tonight from a team perspective, but the Jabs angle adds a lot to the game. I just hope it's not a blow out either way.
CB00

Post by CB00 »

It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings and overall attendance of the tournament this year. I would think it's going to be down.

Not much interest in the final. :cry:
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

I'm cheering for Jack but not for Benilde...if that makes sense.

I find it sickening to see how all of a sudden everyone believes that BSM is such a clean, good-natured school and that they should be the favorite. What happened to the numerous threads about Sir Ken Pauly and his emotional breakdowns and all the whiny players on the BSM team when the game wasn't going their way?

All of a sudden, the state is putting everyone from BSM up on a pulpit praising everything Pauly does and the team's attitude. What happened to Jabs is horrible, but that won't make me forget how the team acted/played before the incident occurred.

That being said, I can't stand seeing either team winning but will go to the game because this is what everything has come down to. I find it hard to just "forget" about it like many people are considering doing just because of the teams that are in it.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

CB00 wrote:It will be interesting to see what the TV ratings and overall attendance of the tournament this year. I would think it's going to be down.

Not much interest in the final. :cry:
That is the problem with privates, no hometown = no hometown fans. The only kids dreaming of playing for HM or Benilde have brothers or sisters playing there. That the large metro schools don't blow all other competiton out of the water shows how poorly the youth/highschool connection is being managed. Youth players should be frothing at the mouth to play for their HS when the come of age. Current players and recent alums are the greatest ambassadors of the sport. Get them working with youth early at camps and get youth attending HS games on a regular basis. Sure, you'll still lose a few players to privates, but it will be a lot less.

The best way to fix the "private school poaching" problem is to fix your own HS and association.
TheKing216

Post by TheKing216 »

tonkafan77 wrote:I'm cheering for Jack but not for Benilde...if that makes sense.

I find it sickening to see how all of a sudden everyone believes that BSM is such a clean, good-natured school and that they should be the favorite. What happened to the numerous threads about Sir Ken Pauly and his emotional breakdowns and all the whiny players on the BSM team when the game wasn't going their way?

All of a sudden, the state is putting everyone from BSM up on a pulpit praising everything Pauly does and the team's attitude. What happened to Jabs is horrible, but that won't make me forget how the team acted/played before the incident occurred.

That being said, I can't stand seeing either team winning but will go to the game because this is what everything has come down to. I find it hard to just "forget" about it like many people are considering doing just because of the teams that are in it.
I think someone may still be a bit bitter about the section final loss? :wink:
Knuckle Dragger

Post by Knuckle Dragger »

Tonkafan's post is dead-on.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

TheKing216 wrote:
tonkafan77 wrote:I'm cheering for Jack but not for Benilde...if that makes sense.

I think someone may still be a bit bitter about the section final loss? :wink:
Nope, Minnetonka did not deserve to win that game. It is what it is- I just can't see how people see dismissing everything that happened before "it happened". Feel free to agree or disagree.
6ix

Post by 6ix »

Looks like they fixed their whiny problems and beat your skips... For the person asking I read on hockey hub the attendance for the night game was 19,800 something, thus making it the highest attendance of any hockey game in the state.
I have the best trophy in my case
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

Just go ahead and try to put a giant skid mark on what Benilde has been doing lately. It doesn't take away from the fact that they are playing great hockey right now and your skippers are sitting at home eating popcorn watching the game! :lol: Pauly is a great coach and he has great players. What he has done with this team is a testament to how good he is. He might get a little emotional once in a while and that may rub off on his players the wrong way but he is a good coach. I would like to know if you have actually talked to Pauly or better yet, even played under hime. I doubt you have. So for the time being, shut up! Benilde is having a great season thats all we need to acknowledge!
Don't hate STA. I wouldn't want to lose either.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

All you private haters are pathetic. Let these two great teams enjoy the tournament and all you jealous losers shut up. If you guys had the chance to play at Benilde or Hill you would jump on that chance in a heartbeat.
isee

Post by isee »

Solution to all of your problems:

Move St. Thomas up to AA. The rest of the A privates are where they belong.

Put all of the privates in the same section play offs. So that only one private comes out of it.

Done, no more complaining
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

I just want to see a good game. 3 OT?
Gems

Post by Gems »

tonkafan77 wrote:I just want to see a good game. 3 OT?
agreed...some heartbreaking situations for both teams as well as inspiration for both but keeping things (life) in perspective let's hope they give us all a good show...heck I'm hoping 4 or 5 OT's...no losers tonight just great hockey... :D
puck81

Post by puck81 »

Pauly turned Minnetonka's program around from the mess it had become and I bet you loved him when he took you guy's to the state in 06. Maybe the girl's team will let you boy's play with their championship trophy. :P
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

thorhockey wrote:
HM makes it to state so often because of the section they come out of.
Dont you have some girl scout cookies to sell today "hockey girl"? You private lovers make me puke a little in my mouth. Section 4 is a very competitive section with teams that develop great players for Hill to "cherry pick" from.

When all privates from A move up to AA you can take all of em and throw em in their own tournament.

Ya I'll watch tonite and pray for a East all star loss. GO JABS
Lol
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

hockeygirl2 wrote:Sats,

Since you seem to be very angry and uninformed, BSM has made it 4 times in their HISTORY. Twice at the A level and twice at the AA level. As far as their goalie, did you see what Minnetonka did without him? They have some very good skaters, but without a goalie you can only go so far. So sats, settle down!!
Glad you could look that random fact up. East was off that day. Wouldn't have mattered what goalie was in. I love your "very good skaters" comment. 7-9 potential D-1 players would qualify more than: "very good skaters"

Hurry up and get your kid to the rink and go gossip with your hockey mom friends.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Not all! I know several that Had the chance, could have played, said no.

Back to the game.....If hill can get the lead and Heinrich blows a few guys up they just might pull this thing out. If they start trading chances and turn it into a track meet Benilde might just runaway from them. Like them or not the Knights have peaked at the right time, they pretty much dominated Tonka, were able to get past their nerves and slip by Edina and, well you all saw last night, so I'll say;

Knights 5
pioneers 2

I really hope its closer!