Northern Educate buys Vadnais Sports Center

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyfan21

Post by hockeyfan21 »

inthetwine wrote:Sounds to me like they are canceling arena rentals because they have their own arena.
This is how I read it as well.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

MrBoDangles wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Update on Northern Educate's pending purchase of the Vadnais Sports Center and their decision to cut operations in Eagan and at the National Sports Center. The article does not explain what impact, if any, these cutbacks could have on its pending purchase which was subject to obtaining financing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/235501011.html

Also, if the purchase falls through what impact might this have on Achiever Academy?
Sounds like achiever went down with it. Kids have been looking for other places to play for a while.
I'd sure like to have Mr. Bo explain this - "kids have been looking for other places to play for awhile."
Is this just AAs boys program of which you speak, or are the girls in the brand new raking in the wins girls program looking for other places too?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

hockeyfan21 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:Sounds to me like they are canceling arena rentals because they have their own arena.
This is how I read it as well.
Having the President/Founder quit sounds ominous to me.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:Update on Northern Educate's pending purchase of the Vadnais Sports Center and their decision to cut operations in Eagan and at the National Sports Center. The article does not explain what impact, if any, these cutbacks could have on its pending purchase which was subject to obtaining financing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/235501011.html

Also, if the purchase falls through what impact might this have on Achiever Academy?
Sounds like achiever went down with it. Kids have been looking for other places to play for a while.
I'd sure like to have Mr. Bo explain this - "kids have been looking for other places to play for awhile."
Is this just AAs boys program of which you speak, or are the girls in the brand new raking in the wins girls program looking for other places too?
Was told that some of the kids with bantam eligibility were looking for teams for the rest of the season if it shut down. They went to the Eagan rink for school and they have left that contract..... Maybe they would drive out to Vadnais now, but I kinda took it as it was done.

Hope they all find a home, if not.

Maybe they'll get room and board at Vadnais.? :wink:
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

The Achiever Academy girls team is off to an excellent start with a 9-2 record and a No. 7 Class A ranking in LPH. Their two losses were to Class AA teams Hopkins (#2AA) and Lakeville South (#8AA) and were by just two and one goals respectively.

But somewhat surprising, to me at least, is that the AA boys team is off to a so-so start. They have a 3-2-1 record even though they have yet to play a ranked team, so apparently in their very young history they have not been able to attract as much talent on the boys' side as they have on the girls.

Maybe it's recruiting, maybe it's something else....just wondering why there is so much difference between the two.

In any case, I do hope the recent developments at Northern Educate or with the Vadnais Sports Center do not impact either the boys or the girls' programs at AA, especially mid-season which would be a real shame for everybody involved.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Thanks MNHockFan,
I agree with your, "if it went down, it would be a shame for all involved"
I have no inside scoop, but it seems to me closing Eagan and Blaine make sense with the low numbers. Vadnais is well over 100 and EP will have the Eagan campus join them. I know that doing something different can cause distress among the masses, but it has been good for most of the kids. As far as why the difference in boys and girls records. Girls can often get by with 2 solid lines and a good goalie and good coach. Boys seem to need more depth to compete. Last years big line for AA got split up with a boy going out east and my kid only playing in half the games this year due a bad grade/effort in a class. That line had 90% of the points. That being said, you need more depth to be competitive. They do work hard and are fun to watch most nights. I don't think this place is going away, just a big reorganization. Myself I am not overly emotionally attached to one way or another; association, public, private, USHL, Western League, just keep playing as long as you can play!! Before you know it, you will be done and wishing you weren't!!!
InYourFace09

Re: Northern Educate

Post by InYourFace09 »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Thanks MNHockFan,
I have no inside scoop, but it seems to me closing Eagan and Blaine make sense with the low numbers. Vadnais is well over 100 and EP will have the Eagan campus join them. I know that doing something different can cause distress among the masses, but it has been good for most of the kids. As far as why the difference in boys and girls records. Girls can often get by with 2 solid lines and a good goalie and good coach. Boys seem to need more depth to compete. Last years big line for AA got split up with a boy going out east and my kid only playing in half the games this year due a bad grade/effort in a class. That line had 90% of the points. That being said, you need more depth to be competitive. They do work hard and are fun to watch most nights. I don't think this place is going away, just a big reorganization. Myself I am not overly emotionally attached to one way or another; association, public, private, USHL, Western League, just keep playing as long as you can play!! Before you know it, you will be done and wishing you weren't!!!

Finnegan left to go out east?

Is Baron off to a slow start?
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Thanks MNHockFan,
I have no inside scoop, but it seems to me closing Eagan and Blaine make sense with the low numbers. Vadnais is well over 100 and EP will have the Eagan campus join them.
The families that live South of the River will be facing a much longer (and nastier) commute. That said, the Eagan Civic Arena is just a two-sheet hockey rink with limited options for classroom space (also short on shower stalls). I'm guessing that the EP Community Center is better set up for this kind of operation.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Finnegan left to go out east?

Is Baron off to a slow start?[/quote]

Yes Finney is out East and for Baron he has
4g 1 a in the 5 games he has played, so yes a slow start for him. Even in the pond scum single A, can't do it all alone. When these guys start to play together they will start to have more success.
blindref

Post by blindref »

They have some talent but they are kind of thin.
They would be better if they stayed out of the box, fourth most minutes
In the State so far.
They think it's 1975 so you need to take six steps and blast an opponent
that passed the puck four seconds ago.
They waste too much energy "finishing there checks" so they're out
gas by the third period.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Northern Educate

Well, what would one expect from a blind ref..... Pretty sure late hits are not why they are not winning. The thin comment was much closer to home.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

More in the continuing saga of the Vadnais Sports Center...but it's still far from a done deal.

Ramsey County signs on to buy Vadnais Sports Center for $10.5 million

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/2 ... page=1&c=y
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Vadnais Sports Center investors urge court to stop sale

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/2 ... page=1&c=y
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

What a mess. Not a place to invest your $$.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

old goalie85 wrote:What a mess. Not a place to invest your $$.
Sounds like there might have been a bit of "Wolves of Ramsey County" financial advising going on:
Raymond Zimmermann, a financial adviser from Hutchinson, said in court Monday that he opposes the sale because his clients, many of them elderly investors who entrusted their retirement savings with what appeared to be a city-backed bond investment, deserve a chance to get more money back by hanging onto the building and seeing that it is managed more efficiently.
Gee, Mr. Zimmermann, I wonder who gave your clients the wrong idea that these were city-backed bonds. Could it be......(channeling my inner Church Lady)....Satan?
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

old goalie85 wrote:What a mess. Not a place to invest your $$.
have you seen the lobster machine?

I'd be in if they could guarantee I get that.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.