Running up the score

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should hockey to something similar to baseball?

Yes
19%
Don't Care
26%
No
55%

Total votes: 47

wisconsinprephockey

Post by wisconsinprephockey »

Cloquet had their 1st line out with a 10-0 lead over Ashland with under 3 min. left in the third.

They kept puttin Johnson out on the ice all game. If you got your third and fourth liners and they are still puttin up numbers in running time, hey that happens. But if I was still in the playin days and cloquet put Johnson on the ice up 10-0 in the third, I'd be head hunting. Personally I don't think its a good idea on the coaches part to risk injury, and its just disrespectful.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:
chedderhead69 wrote:Wisconsin has gone to running time in the second if it a 6 goal lead or more. That has cut down on some of crazy lop-sided scores. I think most coaches try and prevent this, but then there are some who I think push it also...which is kind of sad.
Running time in the second i feel is way to early,the third period works good.

How about going to running time if there is, say, a 10-goal lead in the second? Doesn't happen that often, but it would put a quicker end to those really awful one-sided games.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:The running clock solves the problem most of the time but every once in a while the game is out of hand too early. Refs should have the right to shut a game down when they see fit. Who knows maybe they already have the right. Nothing good can come from a game where one side has to try and not do their job.

Let the Ref be the bad guy and turn off the clock. The team getting worked saves face and the team doing the working doesn't have to not try.
Great idea Shanty.
southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Personally I am a St Thomas fan .

No way? Are you kidding??
jaymeierotto

Post by jaymeierotto »

I was at the Cloquet/Ashland game also (since I live in Ashland) and yes they did have thier top line out on the ice in the third, but it was not an attempt to run up the score at all. From what I understand Cloquet's philosophy is that this is a varsity game and thier varsity players will play. They have a JV schedule for JV players. At no point in time were they ever trying to run up the score, plus I think Johnson's line only had about three shifts in the third. Could of Cloquet run it up to about 20, you bet, but they have more class then that. They were working on setting it up and thier passing game...barely any body was played at all because once again Cloquet could of put a real hurting on Ashland that way also. Hats of to the Cloquet coaching staff for taking a possible bad situation and making the best out of it for both teams I thought. If more coaches acted like this, this thread wouldn't even have to exist.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Running time after a ten goal lead in the 2nd wouldn't be a bad idea. Giving the refs power to decide is a bad idea. Look at all of the decisions they screw up already. Besides we have talked about the objectivity or some refs.
dangelingranger-17

Post by dangelingranger-17 »

running time seems to work.. so ide say stick with that
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Why would it be a bad idea to start running time whenever there is a 6 goal lead? Would that really take away that much of the game?

For all those of you out there who had been claiming you had been arguing with me, and others, that certain teams run up the score when that is simply not the case. I came up with a possible solution and no one seems to really like it. What do you have to say now?

jaymeierotto comes up with a valid point, it is a varsity game. In the case of Holy Angels game, they have probably had many shut outs turned into 1 GA games because they are playing their 4th and 3rd lines instead of their 1st and 2nd numerous times. I suggested to end the game, which in reality is the same as them not trying anymore. It is a game, so why not play?

In a game with Hill Murray and Holy Angels, a 27-0 Stars win would be an embarrassment for Hill Murray. In a game with Sleepy Eye and Holy Angels, a 27-0 Stars win would be an embarrassment for the Stars. It depends who's playing.
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

Playing against a team (the winning team) not trying because the score is out of hand, I think, would be more demoralizing for the losing team than getting beat bad. I would want a team to play hard all the way. If playing the 3rd or 4th lines more or instituting a 3 pass, shoot on your backhand rule keeps the score in line fine, but telling a team to gear down and not try looks even worse than winning 27-0. It would be a display of cockiness and arrogance on the better teams part.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

The ideas about "what to do" as stated in this thread are good, if you accept the notion that something needs to be done when the score gets lopsided.

I dont.
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

Somoeone trys to run the score up over 12 goals and doesn't let up. Seniors REMEMBER. What do you have to lose. Suspension? Who cares. Let someone have a good hard cross check to the ear. They will let up. It will make for a great story in years to come.
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

A coach once said to us in the box

"it is not their (the other team) f****** job to keep the score from being run up on us.... it's your f****** job!! So quit your f****** whining"

a lesson i will never forget

oh yeah, we lost 20-1 :oops:
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

I played for a coach who got pissed that we only scored 19-1. We didn't score 20. Then we got in a brawl with their varsity team the next night. Bench Clear full on. Beer thrown from the fans. Refs coming out pulling up their trousers. Not knowing what to do. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Come on kids live it up. Now Dollar Beer night in Rockford, Illinios might be a different story all together.

"Does this catch the sprit of things for you."
Ankles Pierre, Jr.

Post by Ankles Pierre, Jr. »

HShockeywatcher in post #1140 wrote:Wow, AP with another worthless post.
:roll: Looks like AP has some catching-up to do!

Do you want Walmart or Target to slow down just to let K-Mart look better?

Did you want Lance Armstrong to let the French win a few Tours de?

Should the U.S. accept greater casualties just to let the terrorists even the score?

Welcome to the real world, Bat-Mite, where there are real girls... real people who strive to do their best... and no real Class A!
HShockeywatcher

Nice. Can you tell us what team you were on and what team you were playing against?
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

IMO leave it the way it is.......
The day a coach tells his team to let up, is the day that coach should remember when he's trying to get his team back up.

You should play your best game, every game, always trying to improve.

I totally agree with hawkfan70's post.

Also good scheduling prevents most of it...and if your really worried about it in conference play, use your 3rd and 4th line but don't tell anyone to let up.

Passing up good scoring opportunities creates hesitation in the future and will come back to bite ya! :)
jaymeierotto

Post by jaymeierotto »

Hawk does bring up a good point, but come on man has sportsmanship just been lost all together?

It does neither team any good to pour it on. I have been on both sides of this coin and sportsmanship prevailed in all cases. The running time in the second period with a six goal lead has been great for WI hockey (like chedderhead pointed out earlier). It doesn't take too much away from the game and you can tell your 3rd and 4th liners to play thier hardest while still preventing "running up" the score. Good coaches will not let the score get run up.

I am not in favor for just ending a game...that would really suck.
HShockeywatcher

Wow, AP with another off topic comment.

These are all good points. But I'm confused where the score of the game has anything to go with sportsmanship? Why should a team have to stop trying just because the other team isn't as good as them?
jaymeierotto

Post by jaymeierotto »

To me burying somebody for the sake of burying them is just bad sportsmanship. Don't quit trying, never said that, but there are ways to prevent really lop-sided scores. Do you pull up on a break away after you did a sweet break-out to get out of the zone...no man, bury the thing if ya can. Like I stated before good coaches will find a way to prevent the 20-0 scores....I watched Cloquet do it. It was only 6-0 after the second against Ashland. I don't think Cloquet ever quit trying, they changed thier game plan a little to adapt to the team they were playing....more puck movement, less physical play.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

But when you tell your kids to let up; or just play the 3s and 4s ; or/ and tell them not to try to score, you are ending the game.

Its not a game anymore, its something else.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

they changed thier game plan a little to adapt to the team they were playing....more puck movement, less physical play.
You're right classy teams make sure you know they are on a different level than you but don't need to prove exactly how much different by running up a score. Give younger guys pp time, regular shifts, work on things that have needed some attention, reverse the line rotation. Things like that.
Lundy

Post by Lundy »

I single handedly scored against Billy Lund in a Warroad Lakers game.
I will never forget the quote...
"Is that your first goal, Goon."

Called out Izzy Marvin in Warroad. He backs down. Ask Lovejoy he was there. Next game i ran Izzy from behind. (accident) 5 + game misconduct. Was little Izzy hurt. No he wasn't. Haney was holding him back.

Another "proud" moment of mine.
Among others.....

Keep tuning in we might be starting a new thread. "Maintenance Shed."

How many of you have notches on the wall?
Last edited by Lundy on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaymeierotto

Post by jaymeierotto »

I don't think it is the end of the game for the 3rd and 4th liners is it? They can still play hard and get some more varsity experience...IMO. We will see what the Hermantown/Ashland game will turn out on Thursday night.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

A proud moment for you is running a guy from behind? 8-[ :-s
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

State Champ 97 wrote:A proud moment for you is running a guy from behind? 8-[ :-s
I think he was surprised to catch up to him :shock: