7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Traxler

Post by Traxler »

kniven wrote:
Traxler wrote:No chance for CEC to be anything below 5.
disagree. cec lost to forest lake. cec beat proctor 1-0 last year with a hot goalie. grand rapids has an all world goalie. and tonite vs. East at East. oh no. cloquet could easily be a 6 seed
If CEC loses out they'll be a 5 seed at worst, but likely a 3 or 4 seed.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Knivvsy, PM me and I can walk you through how the QRF works...
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote: It’s a 2 year agreement to use it. Hopefully they vote again on it end of next year, but seems like the southern coaches like it which would give 5-4 votes to use it.
Rapids pushed hard for it.
And there is a certain irony in this. :mrgreen:

Lee
After what happened last year to Rapids, how could they not want a change. Plain and simple. Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, they got screwed!

BTW, if you and I (wink wink) both vote for them to be a 5 seed, then there is no way they will end up a top three seed and I won't have to play them until the finals. :wink: [-X
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

BodyShots wrote:
east hockey wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Rapids pushed hard for it.
And there is a certain irony in this. :mrgreen:

Lee
After what happened last year to Rapids, how could they not want a change. Plain and simple. Nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, they got screwed!

BTW, if you and I (wink wink) both vote for them to be a 5 seed, then there is no way they will end up a top three seed and I won't have to play them until the finals. :wink: [-X
Seemed to work out pretty well for the Indians.
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

Lumberjacks 5 East 3 FINAL

WOW!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Upfan111 wrote:Lumberjacks 5 East 3 FINAL

WOW!
Lumberjacks are the definition of Dr. Jeckal & Mr Hyde 😉😳
blueblood

C-E-C

Post by blueblood »

Is Kniven alive? Somebody get ready to deliver CPR to that man. He may need it tonite following tonight’s game in Duluth.
Play Like a Champion Today
Upfan111

Re: C-E-C

Post by Upfan111 »

blueblood wrote:Is Kniven alive? Somebody get ready to deliver CPR to that man. He may need it tonite following tonight’s game in Duluth.
Duluth or Hermantown? One never knows
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Kniven’s 6 seed theory went out the window.
kniven

Re: C-E-C

Post by kniven »

blueblood wrote:Is Kniven alive? Somebody get ready to deliver CPR to that man. He may need it tonite following tonight’s game in Duluth.
Oly cow😎. I’m so tense still from the game. I won’t be sleeping tonight. I am so proud of my boys. I just have no words to describe to you how awesome I think everyone of them IS. Mike Randolph and the Duluth East Greyhounds. What a team. I’ve got tons of respect for that program. Sights and sounds video from this game will be outstanding! I’m going to go stick my head into a bucket of ice water.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

And congrats to coach Smalley and staff, not an easy situation to step into. Playoff success up next?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

East-Cloquet will be East-Cloquet. From an objective standpoint, the two regular season games this year have been as good as it gets. This rivalry is back in full force.

The Hounds came out the way they've been playing lately and had good control through the first and second periods, especially when the second and third lines were on the ice. They had their chances to put this one away early, but didn't capitalize, and as they so often do in this rivalry, Cloquet packed it in, hung around, and poached the chances that they got, with a 2-on-1 and a bad turnover creating the two goals to tie the game. It's a formula Smalley has been using for years against East and it's been pretty effective, keeping Denfeld in a lot of close games they had no business being in and now giving the Jacks a 1-0-1 effort against East this year. East got the lead right back at 3-2 after the Jacks tied it up, but two stupid penalties then ensued, and for some reason, the Hounds cannot kill a penalty against Cloquet this season. Two quick goals later it's 4-3, the Jacks have all the momentum, and East can't muster much from there. Not a great night for WMD, Worth's snipe aside, as they seemed to get frustrated with the defensive Jacks and also got caught in their own zone too much.

This might be enough to get Cloquet the 3-seed, so we'll watch what QRF spits out next. I don't think it's a terrible thing for East to get a reality check at this point in the season; they really haven't been tested in a game since the Eden Prairie loss, and you don't want to be playing your first competitive game in over a month in the playoffs. It showed some areas that need a little work, too.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

You gotta love this rivalry. I'd like to see East the brackets set up so East would have to play Marshall in the semis and Cloquet in the finals. Now that would be fun.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

karl(east) wrote:East-Cloquet will be East-Cloquet. From an objective standpoint, the two regular season games this year have been as good as it gets. This rivalry is back in full force.

The Hounds came out the way they've been playing lately and had good control through the first and second periods, especially when the second and third lines were on the ice. They had their chances to put this one away early, but didn't capitalize, and as they so often do in this rivalry, Cloquet packed it in, hung around, and poached the chances that they got, with a 2-on-1 and a bad turnover creating the two goals to tie the game. It's a formula Smalley has been using for years against East and it's been pretty effective, keeping Denfeld in a lot of close games they had no business being in and now giving the Jacks a 1-0-1 effort against East this year. East got the lead right back at 3-2 after the Jacks tied it up, but two stupid penalties then ensued, and for some reason, the Hounds cannot kill a penalty against Cloquet this season. Two quick goals later it's 4-3, the Jacks have all the momentum, and East can't muster much from there. Not a great night for WMD, Worth's snipe aside, as they seemed to get frustrated with the defensive Jacks and also got caught in their own zone too much.

This might be enough to get Cloquet the 3-seed, so we'll watch what QRF spits out next. I don't think it's a terrible thing for East to get a reality check at this point in the season; they really haven't been tested in a game since the Eden Prairie loss, and you don't want to be playing your first competitive game in over a month in the playoffs. It showed some areas that need a little work, too.
Unless Elk River runs the table I think this locks in the 3 seed. Sounds like a great game
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Perhaps last night’s game was thrown to manipulate the seeds. It appears now that East will not play Cloquet until the secion finals, that’s assuming Cloquet can get by Forest Lake and Andover.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

karl(east) wrote:This might be enough to get Cloquet the 3-seed, so we'll watch what QRF spits out next. I don't think it's a terrible thing for East to get a reality check at this point in the season; they really haven't been tested in a game since the Eden Prairie loss, and you don't want to be playing your first competitive game in over a month in the playoffs. It showed some areas that need a little work, too.
Also East's 4th game in 7 days. Not saying that kids especially don't rebound quickly from multiple games in multiple days, but after the physical nature of the Elk River game, it didn't surprise me that (a perhaps worn down) East was outscored 5-1 by the Jacks after taking the 2-0 lead. Agree that it's not a bad loss for the Hounds to take after rolling the last month. Should get their attention.

For us Northern hockey fans, this was a great result. If Cloquet clinched the 3 seed, it means we'll likely have at least 2 teams in the 7AA semis.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

mnmouth wrote:
karl(east) wrote:This might be enough to get Cloquet the 3-seed, so we'll watch what QRF spits out next. I don't think it's a terrible thing for East to get a reality check at this point in the season; they really haven't been tested in a game since the Eden Prairie loss, and you don't want to be playing your first competitive game in over a month in the playoffs. It showed some areas that need a little work, too.
Also East's 4th game in 7 days. Not saying that kids especially don't rebound quickly from multiple games in multiple days, but after the physical nature of the Elk River game, it didn't surprise me that (a perhaps worn down) East was outscored 5-1 by the Jacks after taking the 2-0 lead. Agree that it's not a bad loss for the Hounds to take after rolling the last month. Should get their attention.

For us Northern hockey fans, this was a great result. If Cloquet clinched the 3 seed, it means we'll likely have at least 2 teams in the 7AA semis.
DE had easy games against my two sons alma mater on Tuesday & mine Thursday, then hammered ER Sat, winning the 3 games by a combined score of 18 - 0 (all played in the Twin Ports) while Cloquet had just come off an emotional win over the HT Sandbaggers...and both had Sunday off...so I don’t buy the fatigue factor argument 😉😳 Karl stated it best, it’s simply DE vs Cloquet, a tremendous rivalry that best explains Monday’s result.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

hockey59 wrote:
mnmouth wrote:

DE had easy games against my two sons alma mater on Tuesday & mine Thursday, then hammered ER Sat, winning the 3 games by a combined score of 18 - 0 (all played in the Twin Ports) while Cloquet had just come off an emotional win over the HT Sandbaggers...and both had Sunday off...so I don’t buy the fatigue factor argument 😉😳 Karl stated it best, it’s simply DE vs Cloquet, a tremendous rivalry that best explains Monday’s result.
Check out the article on the game in the Duluth News Tribune. Randolph talks about how the Hounds game might have been off last night due to them playing 9 games in 17 days - but for a different reason than I mentioned. Though I do agree that it was East vs Cloquet . . .

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... oys-hockey
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Traxler wrote:Perhaps last night’s game was thrown to manipulate the seeds. It appears now that East will not play Cloquet until the secion finals, that’s assuming Cloquet can get by Forest Lake and Andover.
I wouldn't think that is very likely. 7AA fans have always had a little fun with the seeding process but in reality I don't believe in the conspiracy's too much. If a team is a serious contender for state they probably aren't too worried about who they play. You have to win at least 3 games to get there. All of them carry some upset possibilities with them.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

If the semifinals are East vs Marshall followed by Andover vs CEC, that will be an epic Saturday night at Amsoil.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Traxler wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
east hockey wrote: And there is a certain irony in this. :mrgreen:

Lee

Seemed to work out pretty well for the Indians.
I understand those who think Rapids was screwed in the seedings last year. But those folks are forgetting that Rapids lost to the three teams seeded ahead of them (Elk River, East, and Cloquet). Yes, Rapids played Cloquet twice last year and split with them, but the loss to Cloquet came the night before the seeding meeting, and that loss was understandably given more weight. Rapids had also lost three straight heading into that meeting.

On the other hand, QRF had Rapids ranked higher. It's a defensible position to say that's how the seedings should have gone. But so is the way the seedings played out--in which coaches considered head-to-head games vs section opponents, and recent performance.

At the end of the tournament, Rapids players and coaches said they used their lower-than-desired seeding as motivation. They had to beat three good teams in the sections (which is what this year's champ will likely have to do), and then did the same thing at state. As was pointed out above, it worked out for Rapids.
kniven

Post by kniven »

No. 4 Duluth East (131.9) 5-1-1 18-2-3 5.5 2.0 Lost 1
No. 12 Andover (108.8) 6-3-0 16-5-0 4.5 2.0 Lost 1
No. 14 C-E-C (105.9) 3-2-1 16-6-1 4.6 2.6 Won 2
No. 17 Duluth Marshall (99.9) 3-3-0 14-7-2 4.1 2.0 Won 1
No. 19 Elk River/Zimmerman (95.9) 2-2-0 14-7-0 4.6 2.8 Lost 1
No. 27 Forest Lake (88.4) 3-3-0 11-9-1 2.5 2.5 Lost 1
No. 47 St. Francis (65.0) 2-2-0 11-10-0 4.1 3.3 Lost 1
No. 53 Grand Rapids (59.1) 1-5-0 5-16-1 1.6 4.4 Won 1
No. 69 Cambridge-Isanti (28.1) 0-4-0 4-17-0 2.8 6.4 Lost 3
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

mnmouth wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
mnmouth wrote: Also East's 4th game in 7 days. Not saying that kids especially don't rebound quickly from multiple games in multiple days, but after the physical nature of the Elk River game, it didn't surprise me that (a perhaps worn down) East was outscored 5-1 by the Jacks after taking the 2-0 lead. Agree that it's not a bad loss for the Hounds to take after rolling the last month. Should get their attention.

Check out the article on the game in the Duluth News Tribune. Randolph talks about how the Hounds game might have been off last night due to them playing 9 games in 17 days - but for a different reason than I mentioned. Though I do agree that it was East vs Cloquet . . .

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... oys-hockey
Clearly Randolph was a bit pissed after the loss, I wasn’t at the game, but the “undisciplined” comment & what it could mean if it doesn’t change in 2 weeks comment show this in ♠️ But that’s one of the things I like about him, you get heat of the moment reaction from him, he’s no Belichick in that regard. Duluth East has not won State in 20 years & this is their & his best chance since 2012. All that said, the 9 games in 17 days & lack of practice comment, while possibly having some accuracy is superfluous...since no MN HS coach is more involved in setting up his team’s regular season schedule than Randolph 😉 So if Cloquet is the 9th game in 17 days, he only has the guy looking back at him in the mirror (to blame). 😂
kniven

Post by kniven »

Sights and Sounds: CEC at Duluth East 2.5.2018

https://youtu.be/pqW-wrZqkag

My highlights of the game:

https://youtu.be/D60LuUZUhaU
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

alcloseshaver wrote:Knivvsy, PM me and I can walk you through how the QRF works...
please explain this?

what are the scenarios with elks, marshal, jacks?