Section 8AA Championship 2/29 7pm Moorhead vs. Brainerd

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win Section 8AA?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Moorhead Spuds
61%
Brainerd Warriors
39%

Total votes: 46

SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Green and White Fan wrote:spudnut, you can throw out all the stats you want. Ram fans are not stung by the Spuds what so ever. Again, we have 7 of something you have ZERO and if you tell me that doesn't eat at you, you are a liar! Maybe this is your year, but chances are, still no banner in Spudville. Good luck against Brainerd.
Don't like stats ? Here's another one you won't like: Since the Sheep have been to St Paul 33 times & taken home "7 of something", thet means they got beat out 26 times (also something nobody else has ever done) !

Won't lower myself to name calling unlike people who are probably "not smarter than a 5th grader", but guess what - the Taters have "stung" the Sheep 3 times this year. That makes you the . . . . . . . . . . can't bring myself to say it.

You should be proud of those "7 of somethings" you have. You don't know what they're called, but you sure brag about 'em !
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Spudnut, your comments are from someone who cheers for a team that has never won it. Obviously, the Rams have brought back numerous runner-ups, third place trophies and consolation trophies, but the thing they have brought back to town that the Spuds never had is 7 state tournament championships. We don't have to brag on our website that we are 7 time state runner ups, because the Rams have did what every team aspires to do from the day they lace on their skates and that is win it all. I would guess that someday the Spuds will break through and do that, like everyone expected in 2007, but a team stepped in their way and went to state and actually got it done. You ever heard of the movie Bridesmaids, I heard the Spuds are trying to sue, because they used their name!
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

You can argue all you want about whether or not the 2 penalties should have been called or if the 1st one should have been a 5 minute major, but the bottom line is this -- it's late in the 3rd period of the section championship game and the score is tied. You have to play smart in that situation and not give the refs a reason to call a penalty. Brainerd didn't do that. Instead of playing physical, they should have been trying to score the go-ahead goal. They played a good game up until the late penalties.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
roadtrip

Post by roadtrip »

Teams that want to beat Moorhead need to play physical. The refs weren't calling much on either side all night so the question is why they decided to start with a questionable 5 minute for boarding with 7 minutes to go in a tie game.
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

roadtrip wrote:Teams that want to beat Moorhead need to play physical. The refs weren't calling much on either side all night so the question is why they decided to start with a questionable 5 minute for boarding with 7 minutes to go in a tie game.
Because it was the right call. Stop blaming the refs. If you don't want the refs to make that call, play smarter in that situation, like I said before.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
roadtrip

Post by roadtrip »

Not surprisingly, Spuds fans think it was the right call and Brainerd fans disagree. Without the opportunity to watch it again, I'm not sure this will ever be resolved. Good luck to the Spuds at state. I'd love to see them knock off some metro teams. :D
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

roadtrip wrote:Teams that want to beat Moorhead need to play physical. The refs weren't calling much on either side all night so the question is why they decided to start with a questionable 5 minute for boarding with 7 minutes to go in a tie game.
You're right - to stop the Taters, teams need to play physical. Slow down play & take away their passing lanes & puck control game. But there comes a time (late in the 3rd & down 2-1) when you gotta take more chances & make scoring the top priority, as opposed to running at people.

Warriors have a good looking team & should be right there next season, but I don't think they played very smart in this one. Can't put it on the players - they're just doing what they've been told & been doing all year. Was not smart coaching.

I saw the check clearly & thought the 5 was justified (Biased ? Not me !). Spuds killed off a 5 on 3 about that time, also.