GOPHERS 2014-2015

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Gopher's looked pretty good on Saturday, given how early it is in the year. They definitely have a lot of fire power up front. Defense is young but looks to have a lot of offensive skills as well. They will have to improve in the defensive zone once they start playing the skilled teams.

Bischoff looked real good in both zones. It appears he has put on some muscle over the summer. Glover and Collins are tall, but need to add some muscle as well.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Reg season opens up today against the 'dogs in South Bend. Should be interesting as always to see how they start the season.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Reg season opens up today against the 'dogs in South Bend. Should be interesting as always to see how they start the season.
Well they had a real good start to the game, going up 4-1, but then had to hang on to eke out a 4-3 win. Give credit to UMD for coming back and giving the Gophers all they wanted 'till the very end.
blueblood

Gophers

Post by blueblood »

The 4-1 lead quickly evaporated in the 3rd. I expect some changes on the blueline for Sunday's game.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Stevie Johnson in and No Bischoff? Don't get me wrong, I think Johnson is a top 6 d man on this team, but I don't understand why Bisch gets scratched....Nevertheless, will take the solid 3-0 W over RPI.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Stevie Johnson in and No Bischoff? Don't get me wrong, I think Johnson is a top 6 d man on this team, but I don't understand why Bisch gets scratched....Nevertheless, will take the solid 3-0 W over RPI.
It's going to be tough for Lucia to keep everyone happy this year, especially on D. Any of their D-men would be top 4 on most other teams. I would expect that all eight of them will get plenty of opportunity to show what they can do.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Stevie Johnson in and No Bischoff? Don't get me wrong, I think Johnson is a top 6 d man on this team, but I don't understand why Bisch gets scratched....Nevertheless, will take the solid 3-0 W over RPI.
It's going to be tough for Lucia to keep everyone happy this year, especially on D. Any of their D-men would be top 4 on most other teams. I would expect that all eight of them will get plenty of opportunity to show what they can do.
Agreed, however, its my opinion that Glover and Collins would be the odd 2 out more often than not. I like Johnson better than both of them and obviously, Reilly and Skjei are gonna be in the lineup each night. Then Marshall is a senior and seems like Guentzel likes him, I then think Brodzy and Bisch are much better suited for top 6 then the twin towers.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Beavers this weekend. Sweep? Or is BSU much improved? The split with Nodak makes me think so.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Beavers this weekend. Sweep? Or is BSU much improved? The split with Nodak makes me think so.
Don't know much about them but they have to be pretty good to whip UND 5-1, then lose by just one (1-2) in the second game. Gophers better not take them lightly!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Beavers this weekend. Sweep? Or is BSU much improved? The split with Nodak makes me think so.
Don't know much about them but they have to be pretty good to whip UND 5-1, then lose by just one (1-2) in the second game. Gophers better not take them lightly!
Agreed!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

No surprise to me at least that BSU put up a serious battle, especially in tonight's rematch. If anything this series proved that the Gophers have plenty to work on, especially when it comes to taking care of the puck when trying to get it out of their defensive zone.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:No surprise to me at least that BSU put up a serious battle, especially in tonight's rematch. If anything this series proved that the Gophers have plenty to work on, especially when it comes to taking care of the puck when trying to get it out of their defensive zone.
Yeah, didn't surprise me either. Thought the Kloos-Cammy-Warning line looked good all weekend. 25 was really buzzing creating a lot of opportunities...nothing new there.

Very interested to see how they match up with St Cloud this weekend...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Very interested to see how they match up with St Cloud this weekend...
Me too, SCSU's win over No. 2 Union on Saturday certainly got my attention! Should be some great hockey at both venues....
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Im calling a tie and Gopher W on the weekend.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Very lackluster showing last night by Gophers...
Huskies outpkayed them for most of night and were better team...

There are a few Gophers not skating... I will watch tonight for those not providing effort to see if they turn their game around... See what coach does as well...
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

As a graduate of BSU I watched the Friday night game with great interest. I couldn't help but notice that BSU had many more great opportunities than I was used to seeing during their Friday night game, although they weren't able to finish on most of those chances. Wilcox came up huge like he normally does. He is probably the most consistent goalie I have seen. I'm hoping that it's because they finally are getting some new talent on their roster.

However, after watching both games this weekend I think it might just be the Gopher defense missing assignments. St. Cloud is definitely more talented than Bemidji State so it makes sense they would finish on their point blank chances, but it seems like MN was hoping for a lot of bailouts from Wilcox. Saturdays game was a great watch though.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

I think St. Cloud is a very good team as evidenced by Fri night. I don't think its just "the gophers had a bad game or off night"....I think a lot of gophers game friday had to do with how well St. Cloud played. Although, I def will say I don't think it was great effort by the U.

Sat was a great game. Nice to see 25 with the hatty.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Notre Dame this weekend. I think gophers sweep an overrated Irish team (My opinion)....MNHockeyFan- what do you say?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Notre Dame this weekend. I think gophers sweep an overrated Irish team (My opinion)....MNHockeyFan- what do you say?
I say that after tonight you'll be at least 50% right! Gophers really took it to the Irish this evening in what was their most complete game of the season so far. HOWEVER, they really need to eliminate giving up all those odd-man rushes. I counted five in the first period and it was a very good thing that Wilcox saved the day for them...But wow the Gophers were really good on the forecheck this evening, winning most of the races and battles for the puck. They also scored some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see - real fun to watch.

Now I'm just hoping that your prediction of a sweep comes true on Sunday afternoon. 8)
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nice sweep by the boys. Thought they took foot off the gas a bit yesterday after a great 1st period. Next weekend home and home with Duluth. Should be a great series.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Nice sweep by the boys. Thought they took foot off the gas a bit yesterday after a great 1st period. Next weekend home and home with Duluth. Should be a great series.
I'm sure UMD's sweep of St. Cloud - on the road! - got the Gophers' full attention.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

UMD came in and just flat out worked gophers last night. Gophers looked flat and tired. Hope the effort up in duluth tonight is more inspired or it will be a sweep.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:UMD came in and just flat out worked gophers last night. Gophers looked flat and tired. Hope the effort up in duluth tonight is more inspired or it will be a sweep.
Agreed, it was a very poor effort, one of the worst in recent memory. If it wasn't for #32 UMD probably would have tallied six or seven. We'll see if the Gophers can reverse the tables on them in tonight's rematch. UMD has not been particularly good at home this season.
observer

Post by observer »

Need to sign some more 14 year olds.