EP vs Benilde

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Eagles
82%
Red Knights
18%

Total votes: 28

hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

So the kid that scored the game winner for EP got ejected? What an idiot!! Come on guys!!The game is over!! It does not matter if you are Zidane, Mike Tyson or Seahawks/Patriots!! Quit whining and move on (win or lose)!! The kid may have possibly costed his team a trip to St.Paul. Fighting has no place in any level of sport. Just a classeless act by a respected team.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Right on H2O. With the disqualifications for the Mariucci game, it's now probably a tossup for the section 6 trip to the X
DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

Oh man EP! What a disappointing way to end it. I can only see what's in the posted vids but that #20 should probably be done for the season. Sounds like EP's goalie gets to play on though. I don't doubt what you guys are saying about Benilde starting it but man oh man what a costly mistake for the Eagles.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

Sad to see the EP kid, with a helmet on, punching a BSM player who is helmet less...Thats weak.
green4

Post by green4 »

"After I went in the corner, then it really got pretty vicious." - Shaun Derochur, Eden Prairie's goalie.

Even the goalie thinks he escalated it.
hammer99

Post by hammer99 »

I for one think you should update the poll to include Tonka as an option.

What a HUGE break for the Skippers. We'll see if they can capitalize on it Wednesday.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Gitter has it right, but the number 20 for EP probably got what he deserved. Defending yourself only goes so far, and it doesn't include hitting a helmet less kid with a bare fist. I said before the game BSM plays like their coach. Paula is out of control on the bench and it is no surprise his kids reacted that way at the end of the game. There are many things that should be looked at here, including suspensions for BSM players to start the season next year. How about the folks who let 64 and 20 out of the box. The melee clearly was happening as the horn sounds and they let those two out who were going after each other as they were going into the box. Not hard for the off ice officials to stand in front of the doors until the scrum is over. Refs were awful during game and during the scrum. Many times it looked like kids were carrying saddle bags they were holding so long, late hits, etc..., that they just let go because it was a section game.

I get the suspension to 20, but not to 8 and 3. Has anyone heard why 8 and 3 got suspended? Was it because they left the bench?
SidneysDogHouse

Post by SidneysDogHouse »

hockeygirl2 wrote:Gitter has it right, but the number 20 for EP probably got what he deserved. Defending yourself only goes so far, and it doesn't include hitting a helmet less kid with a bare fist. I said before the game BSM plays like their coach. Paula is out of control on the bench and it is no surprise his kids reacted that way at the end of the game. There are many things that should be looked at here, including suspensions for BSM players to start the season next year. How about the folks who let 64 and 20 out of the box. The melee clearly was happening as the horn sounds and they let those two out who were going after each other as they were going into the box. Not hard for the off ice officials to stand in front of the doors until the scrum is over. Refs were awful during game and during the scrum. Many times it looked like kids were carrying saddle bags they were holding so long, late hits, etc..., that they just let go because it was a section game.

I get the suspension to 20, but not to 8 and 3. Has anyone heard why 8 and 3 got suspended? Was it because they left the bench?
Being at the game and having first hand player accounts...refs let them play, which was nice for a while, in fact, for most of the game. As happens in many playoff games when one team is going home, the stage had been set for this to happen. You could feel the tension build and when BSM didn't score on their last power play, everyone braced for the worst. Pinning the puck against the boards is a great time killer, but also a great breeding ground for a fight. It was a perfect storm, perpetuated by some cheap stuff by both teams that lead to co incidentals. A whole lot of testosterone boiled over that could've been avoided with some calls during the game. In my honest opinion, refs in playoff games have to go in with prevention in mind, prevention of escalation, prevention of fights, prevention of injury. Kids in HS will fight, someone mentioned this during the elite league season...no?
pats12

Post by pats12 »

PuckDaddy wrote:
394 West wrote:
supertacks wrote: We'll said glitter, totally agree! Folks blaming the goaltender are complete morons and/or know nothing about hockey.

That all being said, the officials role in this was nothing short of cowardly. They sat with their thumbs up their ass and did nothing to step in and prevent the escalation. Big dopey linesman guy could have prevented most of this by simply doing his job and stepping between some of the punks going at it.
Except that the goalie had a huge part in escalating the whole ordeal. Would not be surprised if he is out next week. He skated from his crease and pounded a bsm guy in the corner.

I was at the game. In my opinion - the refs were doing everything in their power to let BSM back in the game. Not calling high hits. a boarding call that was not called against them and a elbow/butt end to the head. Refs not calling the game the way it should - in a lot of games not just this one. If the game is called the way it should be - maybe this type of thing would not happen or be minimized. MSHSL has to take a look at how refs are calling the games too. The refs not steping in is inexcusable. Not condoning what happened - but what is it gonna take for the refs to start calling the game the way it should - hope it does not take someone getting hurt. Refs are not just there to call offsides and icing - which seems to be a challenge for some crews..............
Completely agree, these refs have to know what's going to happen at the end of the game. Many times the team behind gets real cheap(i.e. AA championship last year ), get those kids out of the game immediately instead of trying to be Mr. Niceguy and just warning them. The other thing that happens is you get 4 refs that are puck watching instead of doing their job. I don't know if any of this will ever change.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Green4 - why didn't post his whole quote. The goalie also says "I like to fight and stuff like that. I think it's a big part of the game"

That coming from a HS player. Really?
blueblood

HS hockey

Post by blueblood »

Very bad week for HS hockey when it degenerates to this. This generation needs to grow up.
50/50

sad

Post by 50/50 »

very sad
Last edited by 50/50 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
observer

Post by observer »

Damn. I thought Hunter Warner made a return.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

We thought the initial battle on the boards would have de-escalated in seconds. Then the EP goalie vacated the crease and went after the closest opponent. Genuinely think it would have been over almost immediately. That goalie tho! Reading the quotes attributed to him make me cringe. Do you like fighting so much you'd rather fight than play at state? C'mon. At least be smart enough to keep that opinion to yourself. Nobody commenting on the coaches' reaction to all this in real time. One side silent with crossed arms. One side voice raised and at least invested in the fight if not egging it on.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

Couldn't agree more blue blood. The MSHL needs to come up with additional rules for post season games. You an punish the teams still playing, but it's the teams that are done that are the problem. The punishment needs to be as severe as losing players for the playoffs. For example, game suspensions for the kids still playing and possible loss of home seedings for the following year playoffs. That might get a coach to make an effort to control his kids. BSM started this because they had nothing to lose by doing it. EP is culpable for finishing it but they are paying a heavy price for doing so. While everyone has a chance to win any game at this point, Minnetonka went from having not much of a chance to a decent chance. They are the only benefactors of what occurred. Good luck to all the teams still playing
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

That was not going to descalate in seconds. all the guys for BSM were either in the corner or heading there. EP kid was getting punched in the head holding the puck. EP responded. Lets not shift the blame of how this started to the EP goalie. While his actions are not to be commended, he did not start anything. His comments about fighting to the reporter are just sad.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Sometimes things just happen, but neither coach coaches is strong on their team discipline.
mnhockeynut77

Post by mnhockeynut77 »

I don't have a dog in this fight whatsoever but I would like to say that after watching the Youtube video, I don't think EP's goalie did anything malicious on purpose. He was just trying to break up the other fight. When the BSM player retaliated after he pulled him away, the goalie didn't fight back. I don't think that's grounds for Smith to sit him on Wednesday.
394 West

Post by 394 West »

observer wrote:Damn. I thought Hunter Warner made a return.
Now that's funny!!!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

You don't see what the goalie did before that
PuckDaddy

Post by PuckDaddy »

Mnhockeynut - the current video out there does not capture the entire event. Puck being held in the corner by EP #16 who get hammered in the head by a BSM player. Whistle should have blown right there - refs were sleeping the entire game.......
Then it went into high gear after that with another EP kid and then the goalie coming in after the fact. BSM had 6 players out there to the EP 5.
The video here only captures half of went on...
BSM #11 was swinging his stick like an axe the entire game. High hits on both sides and nothing called on BSM - fuel for the fire with such an emotional game.
PuckDaddy

Post by PuckDaddy »

So - same thing happens in the Jefferson/Holy Angels game - what was the outcome of that game - where there any suspensions handed out? I haven't heard of anything. Outside of the EP goalie jumping in - there does not seem to be too much of a difference. Perhaps if that game resulted in suspensions - maybe that would have been a warning to all the rest of the teams...just wondering.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Did that game actually have full out fighting like this one?
Hockeyfan330

Post by Hockeyfan330 »

A lot of these videos from Twitter show just the escalation but I think this KSTP one is the best representation of what actually went down. http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3713444.shtml
PuckDaddy

Post by PuckDaddy »

HockeyFan - that showed it in full HD. :shock: