Dustin Byfuglien/chi blackhawks/roseau rams

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Fargo

Post by Fargo »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:Check out the hockey news...Dustins $648,000 maybe enough to keep him in shape...

PS....No weight room up at the angle.
You have to give the link to these guys otherwise they'll never find it.

http://www.nhlscap.com/capnumbers/chicago.htm

Dustins 648,000 pushes his lines total salary up to 10,648,000.
I guess if you grow up on the north rink you can make a few bucks. Dustin spent many hours there.
Maybe he is a little like Randy Moss. Super talented, does what he wants to when he wants to. Looks like he is motivated this year :twisted:
behindthemask7

Post by behindthemask7 »

just to throw my two cents in about the vatnsdal alumni controversy, from what ive been hearing he will be playing in the WARROAD alum game sunday the 23rd, even though he did not graduate from from whs. as far as his eligability for the roseau alumni game i cannot imagine that he wouldn't be allowed to play...he grew up there, learned to play there, and graduated there. it would be rediculous to not allow him to play with the guys he grew up with playing the game we all love
Goon

Post by Goon »

If he wasn't good enough to play on Roseau's Varsity team. What makes you think he's good enough to crack the alumni roster? There are enough goalies in Roseau. That's why he left isn't it.

By the way Dustin scored his 8th last night against nashville.
behindthemask7

Post by behindthemask7 »

you must not have read any of the posts from last season, vatnsdal got cut, not because he wasn't good enough but because, from what i've been told by my son who graduated with him, he gave coach oliver a piece of his mind. vats apparently didn't like the fact that oliver can't skate and told him so to his face. this was only brought to my attention a couple nights ago when my son was reading this forum and told me about it. if he was good enough to bring the warriors to state he's darn sure good enough to crack the alumni game roster
Jack

Post by Jack »

behindthemask7 wrote: he gave coach oliver a piece of his mind. vats apparently didn't like the fact that oliver can't skate and told him so to his face.
Kids these days. He should have known after birdmister went through the system that Oliver can't take any type of criticism. I wonder if coach threatened to beat him up too.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

You know what is even funnier...When I was at home I was talking to a few of the players and I heard that Billy yells at Oliver about who he should play and who he should not. Search the name Lundy aka Goon he hit the nail on the head last year when he was telling everyone how this con-artist Oliver cheats the system. :lol:

By the way is Dustin still playing forward?
zinovy08

Post by zinovy08 »

Dexter Morgan wrote:You know what is even funnier...When I was at home I was talking to a few of the players and I heard that Billy yells at Oliver about who he should play and who he should not. Search the name Lundy aka Goon he hit the nail on the head last year when he was telling everyone how this con-artist Oliver cheats the system. :lol:

You people from Roseau are unbelievable.....how you rip your coaches who just won state titles. I remember when you ran Bruce Olson out the year after he won the state title, and now you're complaining about Oliver?

I swear that the people of Roseau and White Bear Lake have to have the worst hockey parents/followers in the state. The politics in those communities are unbelievable.

they would run Jesus out of town if Jesus was the coach and their kid rode some pine.
RickO'Shea

Post by RickO'Shea »

zinovy08 wrote: You people from Roseau are unbelievable.....how you rip your coaches who just won state titles. I remember when you ran Bruce Olson out the year after he won the state title, and now you're complaining about Oliver?

I swear that the people of Roseau and White Bear Lake have to have the worst hockey parents/followers in the state. The politics in those communities are unbelievable.

they would run Jesus out of town if Jesus was the coach and their kid rode some pine.
Don't know if you're trolling or not - but you are wrong. Oly left the year after the 1999 title to coach UND women's club team. He actually came back and coached the Rams for two years after that and then left to coach the BSU women.
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

RickO'Shea wrote:
zinovy08 wrote: You people from Roseau are unbelievable.....how you rip your coaches who just won state titles. I remember when you ran Bruce Olson out the year after he won the state title, and now you're complaining about Oliver?

Don't know if you're trolling or not - but you are wrong. Oly left the year after the 1999 title to coach UND women's club team. He actually came back and coached the Rams for two years after that and then left to coach the BSU women.

I'm originally from Roseau and still follow the teams closely. I am also sick of people complaining about coach Oliver. The bottom line is that this guy does what it takes to get the most out of his team. Sometimes his decisions aren't popular--he made a couple of moves last year that ruffled some feathers--but they were the right moves to make and the results were impressive to watch at the Excel. He seems to get it right most of the time. I worry for him if the time comes that he actually makes a mistake.

Please don't give us any more of your petty, self-serving shots at coach Oliver.

Regarding coach Olson... He took some heat, as well. Was some of it warranted? I don't know and don't care at this point. One thing is certain: Bruce Olson took the career path of his choice without people dictating his future to him. If I remember correctly...didn't he start the women's program at UND and work on some more education in the process? Or, perhaps it was the women's team in Bemidji that he started... Either way, who can blame the guy for wanting to hang out with some college girls for awhile. :lol:
HockeyFan1

Post by HockeyFan1 »

zinovy08 wrote:
Dexter Morgan wrote:You know what is even funnier...When I was at home I was talking to a few of the players and I heard that Billy yells at Oliver about who he should play and who he should not. Search the name Lundy aka Goon he hit the nail on the head last year when he was telling everyone how this con-artist Oliver cheats the system. :lol:

You people from Roseau are unbelievable.....how you rip your coaches who just won state titles. I remember when you ran Bruce Olson out the year after he won the state title, and now you're complaining about Oliver?

Come on - there are always going to be certain people who will never like what the coaches are doing in every town. Roseau is no different than the rest of the state.

There are a lot of passionate fans in Roseau, some tend to voice their opinions more than others! You always hear the nay-sayers, the rest pretty much keep to their comments to themselves or talk amongst each other, not on a public forum.
zinovy08

Post by zinovy08 »

RickO'Shea wrote:

I talked to Bruce personally and he made it quite clear that he was taking a sabatical from Roseau that year to go to UND....not of his own will. There were certain well-known, well-connected families in Roseau that showed him the door.

I don't know why he was asked back, but I can only assume that Aaron Broten didn't want anything to do with that job. Who would?...after you run a guy out of town after winnning the state title.
Last edited by zinovy08 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickO'Shea

Post by RickO'Shea »

I talked to Bruce personally and he made it quite clear that he was taking a sabatical from Roseau that year.....not of his own will. There were certain families in Roseau that showed him the door.
I doubt there is a coach anywhere that has 100% support. Bruce didn't get run out of town. And some of the Oliver bashers aren't Roseau residents. But your statements make you look as ridiculous as anybody else.
2nd string

Post by 2nd string »

There was really only one person that had it out for Bruce, and I know Bruce just blew him off. had some relationship to a certain chblhwk.
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

2nd string wrote:There was really only one person that had it out for Bruce, and I know Bruce just blew him off. had some relationship to a certain chblhwk.
I am pretty sure Bruce didn't blow him off. He listened carefully for he didn't want to deal with the golden glove!
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Lordosis wrote:
2nd string wrote:There was really only one person that had it out for Bruce, and I know Bruce just blew him off. had some relationship to a certain chblhwk.
I am pretty sure Bruce didn't blow him off. He listened carefully for he didn't want to deal with the golden glove!
Wrong answer. I think he is talking about his great uncle.
2nd string

Post by 2nd string »

Lordosis wrote:
correctamundoe!
Lordosis

Post by Lordosis »

2nd string wrote:
Lordosis wrote: I am pretty sure Bruce didn't blow him off. He listened carefully for he didn't want to deal with the golden glove!
correctamundoe!
That's who I was referring to as well. I thought he was a golden glove champ back in the day?
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

Just like in '99 the kids won the state title not Bruce. All he has to do is stand back and run the lines. Just like Oliver last year. In the mid 90's Bruce couldn't get by Warroad. Even though Roseau had more talent then Warroad. He stood back and ran the lines and Eades ate him up. Now he gets to look at those banners on the wall. Oliver has a dynasty team on his hands and if Ness wasn't leaving early they might win 3 in a row. Everyone in Roseau rips Oliver because they know who really runs things in the dressing room. Andy watches and disects the game films and Billy comes up with breakouts, power plays etc. Oliver is a interview, PR and pre game speech guy. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
hipcheck

question

Post by hipcheck »

So when things go sour on the Rams, it is obviously not Oliver's fault.

If the coaching system is in place, the wonderful assistants should be able to stand up and take the "flak' rather than sit back and let people criticize Oliver.
td577

Re: question

Post by td577 »

hipcheck wrote:So when things go sour on the Rams, it is obviously not Oliver's fault.

If the coaching system is in place, the wonderful assistants should be able to stand up and take the "flak' rather than sit back and let people criticize Oliver.
That is a silly comment. Of course Oliver should get the flak because it is Oliver who gets the credit. There might be some people here who know what happens backstage, but the reality is that the head coach gets both the flak and the glory.

If he has found a way to run system where the assistant coaches have designated roles and they carry them out, it sounds like a pretty good system. Just about every successful program, in any sport, seems to be run by coaches who manage assistants and let assistants manage the team.
hipcheck

Post by hipcheck »

I agree with you entirely. however, there are some that don't give Oliver any credit.
bauerhky22

Post by bauerhky22 »

Finally some people who aren't criticizing the Canuck. Looking back, I dont think Gotzie has ever gave a coach the boot after winning a state championship. At one time I didn't like the guy a bit. He does suck up to "certain" people (anybody with authority). He does not give some people the time of day, maybe this is because he thinks he is better than them. But one thing he is doing right is coaching this team. As he always says, he surrounded himself with good people and now Roseau is going in the right direction. I believe when he came here he didn't care if he got all the credit. He didn't care if he was the next Herb Brooks. All he wanted to do is win state championships. Isn't that what he is doing?
Dexter Morgan

Post by Dexter Morgan »

For a Canuck Ollie sure skates well. :lol:

He doesn't care if they win a state championship. It's all about if Nick can where Nick fits in on the team. He'll move out of Roseau as soon as Nick graduates and take a better paying job somewhere else. Then Roseau will be rid of him and the real hockey people of Roseau will have their program back. 2 years and the dragon will be gone. :twisted: