Private School Trash talk thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

SFA1992 wrote:Yeah man, and I've said my bit. Look at what Schotzy said, too. You want a watered down tournament, which is plain sad. You want to tell kids they're different. Defining kids as "public" or "private" is foolish. Private schools aren't going anywhere. And even if they did, and you got your way, they would still attract quality student athletes, and the talent depth on the public side would be diminished. Is the dress white and gold or blue and black? I bet we disagree on that too.

Public schools like playing private schools and vice versa. There's an added dimension to the games. The student sections like it.

State of Hockey or the State of Public or Private?
Sounds great! We'll play each other during the regular season, divide for sections... And then meet back up at the State Tournament!

Thanks much for the banter
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MrBoDangles wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:How it should be done:
-There should be one or two sections of only private schools that battle their way to the X..
- The days of town/city teams building great programs - through sweat and effort- only to get bumped by a planned out all star private school team needs to end.
- Public vs public - private vs private school sections and then meet at the X
- It's time for the MSHSL to stop bending over (backwards) and make things FAIR along all lines!

Isn't this a no brainer and the ONLY fair way to do things?

I think it would only BREATHE NEW LIFE into hockey in this state.

Thoughts?
:!:
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

MrBoDangles wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
-There should be one or two sections of only private schools that battle their way to the X..
- The days of town/city teams building great programs - through sweat and effort- only to get bumped by a planned out all star private school team needs to end.
- It's time for the MSHSL to stop bending over (backwards) and make things FAIR along all lines!

Thoughts?
You my friend, keep stoking this fire. I like how you are trying to find support here, but can't find it. Bottom line, the majority like the tourney the way it is. Only the minority, and those knocked out by a private are complaining. Either way, the minority.

Public or Private, I love this tourney and will be cheering for two public schools this year. It may be two private schools next year, who knows. I don't care.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Schotzy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: :!:
You my friend, keep stoking this fire. I like how you are trying to find support here, but can't find it. Bottom line, the majority like the tourney the way it is. Only the minority, and those knocked out by a private are complaining. Either way, the minority.

Public or Private, I love this tourney and will be cheering for two public schools this year. It may be two private schools next year, who knows. I don't care.
I've also cheered for both..., but sections for private schools is the right thing to do.

I would suggest you start a poll in a new thread.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: :!:

I've also cheered for both..., but sections for private schools is the right thing to do.

If you think this forum is an honest representation of how people feel about this subject, you are completely unhinged. There is a whole world of reality out there. Unplug and check it out.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

I couldn't read all thirty nine pages of rants about "public vs. private". The easy fix IMO...Give the privates one section. They all play through that section for one bid at state.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Schotzy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Schotzy wrote: You my friend, keep stoking this fire. I like how you are trying to find support here, but can't find it. Bottom line, the majority like the tourney the way it is. Only the minority, and those knocked out by a private are complaining. Either way, the minority.

If you think this forum is an honest representation of how people feel about this subject, you are completely unhinged. There is a whole world of reality out there. Unplug and check it out.
Are you not the one that brought up "support on here"..?

You guys crack me up!
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

MrBoDangles wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote: I've also cheered for both..., but sections for private schools is the right thing to do.

You guys crack me up!
Yeah, I could have two accounts too.

I will argue that most private schools should play AA. I think that is fair. Especially when they are from large population centers. One or two sections of private schools is just a plain stupid idea with no chance of happening.

If you want to think about it in a dream world, go ahead, but I promise you, it will never happen.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Schotzy wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
Schotzy wrote: If you think this forum is an honest representation of how people feel about this subject, you are completely unhinged. There is a whole world of reality out there. Unplug and check it out.

You guys crack me up!
Yeah, I could have two accounts too.

I will argue that most private schools should play AA. I think that is fair. Especially when they are from large population centers. One or two sections of private schools is just a plain stupid idea with no chance of happening.

If you want to think about it in a dream world, go ahead, but I promise you, it will never happen.
? You said it from one username...
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

Are you Bruce Plante in disguise?
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

YearbookWontClose wrote:This argument has always really baffled me. I don't see how private schools have any more of an advantage of "recruiting" than the majority of public schools in the state. Any public school with open enrollment (which is the vast majority of the schools in the state) can also try to get players from outside of their district to come play for them. If anything, I think the private schools would be disadvantaged here because the parents need to pay tuition now rather than have their kids go to school for free. I have always felt that the biggest reason why people dislike private schools so much is because the families tend to have a lot of money and they just don't want to outright say that so they complain about other things instead. Just my opinion on this topic, feel free to try to open my eyes though.
I've been saying this for years.
MrBoDangles wrote:

Thoughts?
I understand that people dislike private schools as a whole because of the results of some.
In the interest of furthering the discussion, what things that private schools do are things you think public schools are unable to do?
HShockeywatcher

SFA1992 wrote:Sweetheart, I'm on the record saying I don't understand how they aren't in the same section based on geography. They should be in the same section because of their vicinity to one another. And the one super team you're referencing didn't even make it to state last year. And it's two super teams, show some GD respect ;)
Sections are made by the state based "solely on geography." Conferences are not.
That's the simplest explanation.
HShockeywatcher

JohnnyBuck wrote:I couldn't read all thirty nine pages of rants about "public vs. private". The easy fix IMO...Give the privates one section. They all play through that section for one bid at state.
Most people suggest two instead of one, but either way that guarantees that private schools will be in the tournament every year and would prevent things like last year from happening.

Shouldn't the idea be to spread them thin in as many sections as possible to give the highest possible chance of beating them before state? Like, ya know, last year...
rainier

Post by rainier »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
YearbookWontClose wrote:This argument has always really baffled me. I don't see how private schools have any more of an advantage of "recruiting" than the majority of public schools in the state. Any public school with open enrollment (which is the vast majority of the schools in the state) can also try to get players from outside of their district to come play for them. If anything, I think the private schools would be disadvantaged here because the parents need to pay tuition now rather than have their kids go to school for free. I have always felt that the biggest reason why people dislike private schools so much is because the families tend to have a lot of money and they just don't want to outright say that so they complain about other things instead. Just my opinion on this topic, feel free to try to open my eyes though.
I've been saying this for years.
MrBoDangles wrote:

Thoughts?
I understand that people dislike private schools as a whole because of the results of some.
In the interest of furthering the discussion, what things that private schools do are things you think public schools are unable to do?
1. Not have special education classes.
2. Let in the school only the kids they want to let in.
3. Build hockey arenas solely for their own school, and not have to share with youth teams, girls' teams, figure skating, etc.
4. Give $20,000 worth of an educational commodity to star athletes via scholarships.
5. Pay their teachers less.
6. Have coaches that all they do is coach, and not have to be a teacher.
7. Have tons of assistant coaches.
8. Draw from talent pools that are the same size (or larger) than all AA schools, yet play in single A.
9. Annoy the hell out of everyone.
10. Have a marketing department.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:Sweetheart, I'm on the record saying I don't understand how they aren't in the same section based on geography. They should be in the same section because of their vicinity to one another. And the one super team you're referencing didn't even make it to state last year. And it's two super teams, show some GD respect ;)
Sections are made by the state based "solely on geography." Conferences are not.
That's the simplest explanation.
Yep you're right. The sections could be done better, and I'd like to see them change it up. I would love to see an actual map of the sections. Some head scratching would result, I'm sure.

But Mr. Rainier, what specifically annoys you in #9?

They need a marketing department because, like it or not, they need to market themselves so they can bring students in. When I was at STA, (it was STA back then) all of my assistant coaches were STA alumni.

Private schools have admissions standards... What is wrong with that? They're allowed to do that... And at STA, currently, 40% of the students receive need based financial aid. So the odds that any student who happens to be an athlete has received aid is pretty high... STA also awards a higher number of grants to middle class families than any other school... The average amount of financial aid this year was $9,400. There are also facilities and services for students who need extra help. The STA arena is shared with UST, and Mendota area teams as well as other local associations frequently use it for practices and games... Coaches, some not all, do in fact teach... Anyway, hope that can tide you over while you come up with a response, these conversations are always delicious... Honestly, should private schools even exist? Or should they not be allowed to have sports teams...

Or do you dislike them because they, along with Hill, and Benilde, and Holy Family (granted, up and coming) win pretty frequently? Or is it the attitude they have when they win? If you can't stand that, you aren't meant for this game.

Also, in the time it took me to write this, Hermantown only scored one goal, so all the "They need to move up, too" haters can shush ;)
HShockeywatcher

rainier wrote:1. Not have special education classes.
3. Build hockey arenas solely for their own school, and not have to share with youth teams, girls' teams, figure skating, etc.
4. Give $20,000 worth of an educational commodity to star athletes via scholarships.
8. Draw from talent pools that are the same size (or larger) than all AA schools, yet play in single A.
Well, I am more referring to "that contribute to success on the ice," but okay, this is a good start:
1/2. I assume by "special education classes" you are referring to classes for students handicapped in a variety of ways? This is likely a more trigger-filled conversation than I'd prefer to partake in here, but "private schools don't have special ed classes" is a false statement. A private organization choosing who they can spend their resources on makes sense imo.
3. I'm assuming this is more of a "don't" or "isn't economical" more than a "can't." I'm also curious how many private schools have arenas that aren't shared with anyone/anything else.
4. Every private school in the metro gives need based scholarships to their students. Most of them use the same third party who uses the family's finances combined with the schools' scholarship pool to determine allotment.
Still, if the argument is "public schools are just as good" that scholarship money shouldn't be a big deal, right?
5. huh?
6. Public school coaches don't need to be teaches. I've personally known multiple who weren't and my sphere of influence is quite small relative to the state.
7. Many assistants are volunteers at both private and public.
8. Literally every public school in the state can draw (and should) from outside their zone. Open enrollment is a thing and it's awesome.
10. I've seen ads for public schools. I wish they competed more for students than they do. In many areas they do.

Most of this isn't directly relevant to hockey, but I'm willing to entertain anything.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Well, I am more referring to "that contribute to success on the ice," but okay, this is a good start:
1/2. I assume by "special education classes" you are referring to classes for students handicapped in a variety of ways? This is likely a more trigger-filled conversation than I'd prefer to partake in here, but "private schools don't have special ed classes" is a false statement. A private organization choosing who they can spend their resources on makes sense imo.
3. I'm assuming this is more of a "don't" or "isn't economical" more than a "can't." I'm also curious how many private schools have arenas that aren't shared with anyone/anything else.
4. Every private school in the metro gives need based scholarships to their students. Most of them use the same third party who uses the family's finances combined with the schools' scholarship pool to determine allotment.
Still, if the argument is "public schools are just as good" that scholarship money shouldn't be a big deal, right?
5. huh?
6. Public school coaches don't need to be teaches. I've personally known multiple who weren't and my sphere of influence is quite small relative to the state.
7. Many assistants are volunteers at both private and public.
8. Literally every public school in the state can draw (and should) from outside their zone. Open enrollment is a thing and it's awesome.
10. I've seen ads for public schools. I wish they competed more for students than they do. In many areas they do.

Most of this isn't directly relevant to hockey, but I'm willing to entertain anything.
BOOM
HShockeywatcher

SFA1992 wrote:Yep you're right. The sections could be done better, and I'd like to see them change it up. I would love to see an actual map of the sections. Some head scratching would result, I'm sure.
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/competitiveSectionsone3.asp
This link should work to find them in any sport.

Yes, there is SOME head scratching, but AA hockey actually works out very well geographically right now.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
SFA1992 wrote:Yep you're right. The sections could be done better, and I'd like to see them change it up. I would love to see an actual map of the sections. Some head scratching would result, I'm sure.
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/competitiveSectionsone3.asp
This link should work to find them in any sport.

Yes, there is SOME head scratching, but AA hockey actually works out very well geographically right now.
Thanks. And yes I agree, I think it does a pretty good job.
HShockeywatcher

SFA1992 wrote:Honestly, should private schools even exist? Or should they not be allowed to have sports teams...

Or do you dislike them because they, along with Hill, and Benilde, and Holy Family (granted, up and coming) win pretty frequently? Or is it the attitude they have when they win? If you can't stand that, you aren't meant for this game.

Also, in the time it took me to write this, Hermantown only scored one goal, so all the "They need to move up, too" haters can shush ;)
What I have noticed over the years of this discussion is that it seems most people participating have likely been involved in one system or the other, are ignorant about the other and grew up being fed a bunch of non-sense about the other. Geography also plays a big role in the discussion.

I love the city I grew up in. Attending the private school I did for high school was part of family tradition, but the idea that sending me to a local public school for grade school or high school was never even a consideration. To many that can be seen as part of the issue. The reason why I and others chose/choose not to consider them definitely is an issue. Also, I don't see what is wrong with the idea of living one place and sending your kids to school somewhere else.

I went to private schools growing up, went to both public and private schools for both undergrad and graduate school and have seen a decent amount of both since then. What is more crazy to me than anything is the seemingly senseless hate for the other for next to no reason.

To me, the idea isn't to be "right" but to understand where others are coming from and to help them better understand your experience.
Public schools offer many things to many people that many private schools don't have the resource to offer. Private schools offer many things that public school often cannot (or don't) offer. Neither is exclusively right or wrong.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
1/2. I assume by "special education classes" you are referring to classes for students handicapped in a variety of ways? This is likely a more trigger-filled conversation than I'd prefer to partake in here, but "private schools don't have special ed classes" is a false statement. No it isn't. Two of my good friends worked at private schools, and they said two of the main differences between them and public schools were "No special education kids and the school can kick troublemakers out if they want." Private schools CHOOSE who they want to attend their schools, public schools can't do this. It is a fact. Special education students typically require a much larger share of resources per student, thus it makes sense that a business such as a private school would choose not to do this. A private organization choosing who they can spend their resources on makes sense imo. They get to decide where they spend their resources, public schools don't-huge difference.
3. I'm assuming this is more of a "don't" or "isn't economical" more than a "can't." I'm also curious how many private schools have arenas that aren't shared with anyone/anything else. What youth association does STA have to compete with for ice time in their new arena? Does the girls team at STA demand their fair share of ice time too? Oh, wait...
Still, if the argument is "public schools are just as good" that scholarship money shouldn't be a big deal, right? Either way, public schools can't offer something with a $20,000 value to students for free, whether it's worth that price or not.
5. huh? I've been told this many times; private school teachers get paid less on average. Private schools can direct those resources other places instead, such as their hockey program. The teachers are willing to work for less because of the smaller class sizes and relative lack of riff-raff, something public schools cant do.
6. Public school coaches don't need to be teaches. I've personally known multiple who weren't and my sphere of influence is quite small relative to the state. Fair enough.
7. Many assistants are volunteers at both private and public. But how many paid coaches are there at private schools versus public schools, and how much are they paid compared to public schools?
8. Literally every public school in the state can draw (and should) from outside their zone. Open enrollment is a thing and it's awesome. Yep, they can draw as many kids as they want, and in the metro they are usually AA-sized because they have to take in all the kids that want to go there. Private school can let in just the best athletes and keep their enrollment low enough to qualify for lower classes in sports. Public schools cannot do this. And tell me again where Thief River Falls is going to draw kids from? What about International Falls. Or Worthington?
10. I've seen ads for public schools. I wish they competed more for students than they do. In many areas they do. You've seen ads, but they don't have full-on marketing departments like a private school would have. It is a difference.

HShockeywatcher

rainer, are you honestly saying that your two friends anecdotal stories are representative of all private schools?

Saying that public schools "don't get to choose where their resources are allocated" is a very flawed statement.

Is this turning into a straw man or are you actually interested in having the discussion? The current St Thomas Ice Arena is named as such because since it's opening it has shared ice time with both UST men's and women's teams for practice and games. The Wild have also practiced there on many occasions.

Public schools are offering something with a $10k value for "free" on a daily basis. And the more the individual child participates in it, the more value they are personally getting out of it.

Whether you like it or not, the scholarships offered are need based.

Coaches are typically paid much less at private schools than at public schools. I don't think there's a standard on either side. There are some public schools who are staffed better than privates and vice versa.
Everyone who coaches at the high school level does it because they want to, not for the money.

Teachers are paid less because, in general, they don't have the money to pay them more. The vast majority of a private school's budget is usually salaries. When things like arenas/fields/extensions/etc are built they are generally the result of fundraising and are not drawn from the same pool of money salaries are.

I could cherry pick private schools that don't have the best sports teams just like you have with some public schools.
Ultimately, the idea that a school doesn't try to make themselves as attractive as they can be and attract families from all over to their area is quite an odd stance. School systems are one of the top driving factors in buying a house and people make many decisions based on this.
The idea that Public School A does not draw from the same pool of people as Private School A 5 miles away is more a result of their attitude as an institution than what they can do.

Yes, it is a difference. Difference isn't bad it is simply different.
However, if you were to compare the departments of people who "market" to the public from a public school vs a private school, I would bet the public would significantly dwarf the private.
Shouldn't the school itself be a marketing tool?
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

rainier is a bitter democrat IMO. :lol:
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:rainer, are you honestly saying that your two friends anecdotal stories are representative of all private schools?

Saying that public schools "don't get to choose where their resources are allocated" is a very flawed statement.

Is this turning into a straw man or are you actually interested in having the discussion? The current St Thomas Ice Arena is named as such because since it's opening it has shared ice time with both UST men's and women's teams for practice and games. The Wild have also practiced there on many occasions.

Public schools are offering something with a $10k value for "free" on a daily basis. And the more the individual child participates in it, the more value they are personally getting out of it.

Whether you like it or not, the scholarships offered are need based.

Coaches are typically paid much less at private schools than at public schools. I don't think there's a standard on either side. There are some public schools who are staffed better than privates and vice versa.
Everyone who coaches at the high school level does it because they want to, not for the money.

Teachers are paid less because, in general, they don't have the money to pay them more. The vast majority of a private school's budget is usually salaries. When things like arenas/fields/extensions/etc are built they are generally the result of fundraising and are not drawn from the same pool of money salaries are.

I could cherry pick private schools that don't have the best sports teams just like you have with some public schools.
Ultimately, the idea that a school doesn't try to make themselves as attractive as they can be and attract families from all over to their area is quite an odd stance. School systems are one of the top driving factors in buying a house and people make many decisions based on this.
The idea that Public School A does not draw from the same pool of people as Private School A 5 miles away is more a result of their attitude as an institution than what they can do.

Yes, it is a difference. Difference isn't bad it is simply different.
However, if you were to compare the departments of people who "market" to the public from a public school vs a private school, I would bet the public would significantly dwarf the private.
HShockeywatcher, you are killing it.

Rainier, by the way, the best part of the marketing from a private perspective (IMO) are the open houses, which are run by the students. The students volunteer to take prospective students and families on a tour and show them what its like to go to school there. The students look forward to it, because they believe in what they're showing.

Also, growing up in a suburb with a great program, the HS teams always got the best ice times, right after school. In my experience, the public school varsity teams don't have to compete with anyone for ice time, because they are the top dogs. And they normally have a bigger number of ice sheets. And facilities in general.

Since STA does not have female students, should they build another sheet of ice and let it lie dormant? Believe me, this can be arranged, we have the capital.

Don't forget, education is what you make of it. You can get a great education at just about every public or private school in this state. It's awesome.

If you think the Vanelli's do it for the money... c'mon man.

Comparing STA and other privates to TRF and IFalls is silly...

Please tell me what you want private schools to do. No sports? Or just compete on our own, all alone. If we go, trust me, you'll miss us.

It's like some people saw Mordor in LOTR and said, "That. THAT must be what it's like inside a private school"

Again, HShockeywatcher, you're the man.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HShockeywatcher wrote:rainer, are you honestly saying that your two friends anecdotal stories are representative of all private schools?
No, but your question was "What CAN private schools do that public schools CAN'T do" And private schools don't have to have special education kids if they don't want to. That's something they CAN do, even if not all of them do.
Saying that public schools "don't get to choose where their resources are allocated" is a very flawed statement. Public schools don't have as much choice with how their resources are spent/directed as private schools do.

Is this turning into a straw man or are you actually interested in having the discussion? The current St Thomas Ice Arena is named as such because since it's opening it has shared ice time with both UST men's and women's teams for practice and games. The Wild have also practiced there on many occasions. Okay, but does STA have to share their ice, or do they choose to? Most public schools I know don't get to decide who uses the ice and who doesn't.

Whether you like it or not, the scholarships offered are need based. Yes, especially if that needy kid is a great athlete and/or academic student.

Coaches are typically paid much less at private schools than at public schools. So the Vanelli's are each getting less than $4000? If you say so. I don't think there's a standard on either side. There are some public schools who are staffed better than privates and vice versa.

Teachers are paid less because, in general, they don't have the money to pay them more. I don't believe this for a second. The vast majority of a private school's budget is usually salaries. When things like arenas/fields/extensions/etc are built they are generally the result of fundraising and are not drawn from the same pool of money salaries are.

Yes, it is a difference. Difference isn't bad it is simply different. Thank you, Captain Obvious!
We can debate details until Breck opts up to AA, but here is the bottom line when it comes to the question "What can private schools do that public schools can't?"

They can pick and choose the kids they want in their school. It is not really open enrollment for private schools, because they don't have to let a kid in if they don't want to. That is a HUGE difference.