Jared Hummel Signs

dandill15

Jared Hummel Signs

Post by dandill15 »

It's official, Jared Hummel signed with St. Cloud on Saturday, May 8th. They gave him the option ofl eaving for the ushl next year but he said he wanted to stay at AHA so after he graduates he will go to Sioux City Musketeers for one year and then goto St. Cloud. This is a great time for him and I am excited to see how weel he will do when he gets in the WCHA. <p></p><i></i>
Finn70

Re: Jared Hummel Signs

Post by Finn70 »

He may have committed but he can't sign. Check the NCAA rules. The earliest a player can sign a letter of intent for a college is during the early signing period of their senior year. That would be next November for Hummel. <p></p><i></i>
dandill15

Hummel

Post by dandill15 »

Hey Finn he did sign and I know him personally and am going over to his house today even. He told me he signed and so did his dad. He did sign because why else would he go up there if he had already verbally committted in early april so you get ur facts straight. <p></p><i></i>
hockeyboy

Re: Hummel

Post by hockeyboy »

He needs to play in 10 games for the Muskies this year or they will lose his rights for the following year. Does he plan on playing after his Senior season with the Muskies? <p><!--EZCODE MAIL START--><a href="mailto:the_official_hockeyboy@hotmial.com"> the_official_hockeyboy@hotmial.com</a><!--EZCODE MAIL END--></p><i></i>
dandill15

Hummel

Post by dandill15 »

I believe he plans to play 10 and 10 this next season with them. <p></p><i></i>
Eddie Shore

Hummel

Post by Eddie Shore »

Finn is referring to the National Letter of Intent. An NLI cannot be signed by a prospective recruit until the early signing period in November of his/her senior year.<br><br>So Hummel did not sign a NLI unless he has met the requirements of a loophole that I am not aware of. Of course, students do not have to sign a NLI. They can agree to terms of a scholarship and simply show up in the fall of their freshman year. However, 95% of these kids sign a National Letter of Intent.<br><br>Dandill, since you went to his house today, maybe you can clarify his situation for us. <p></p><i></i>
Finn70

Post by Finn70 »

The only way Hummel could have signed a national letter of intent to a school is if he accelerated his studies to go to a college this next fall. Unless he does has done that (which is dandill claims he is going back to AHA next year so he must not have accelerated), he absolutely cannot sign a letter of intent to any school at this point.<br><br>Anybody who says differently is absolutely does not understand NCAA rules. <p></p><i></i>
dandill15

Hummel

Post by dandill15 »

I talked to him and neither of us were wrong just a misunderstanding he sighned a commitment meaing neinther he or the school can back out about his schoalrship to scsu <p></p><i></i>
cyozzie36

Post by cyozzie36 »

The NLI must be signed by every scholoarship athlete, not just 95%. Also, there exists a financial aid form that must be signed to renew the scholorship every year. Though many athletes believe that there scholoarships are for four or five years they are not. They must be signed and renewed every year. <p></p><i></i>
Eddie Shore

NLI

Post by Eddie Shore »

Oz - <br><br>Actually, while most athletes sign an NLI (Ok - it's more like 99.5%), a few athletes and schools have actually gone around the NLI and signed scholarship agreements in the past few years. It's happened mostly in basketball. For example, Jason Kapono at UCLA and Charlie Villanueva at UConn never signed an NLI - they simply signed binding scholarship agreements at their particular schools. Andy Katz at ESPN.com has been writing a series on the topic of the NLI and how restrictive it is. A scholarship agreement allows the player flexibility if the coach should leave, etc. <br><br>Just thought I'd throw that out there. <p></p><i></i>
cyozzie36

Post by cyozzie36 »

Eddie--<br>Thanks. The NCAA is definately a piece of work thats for sure. The school and coaches can get out of a scholorship after a year but the student-athlete can get punished or have to sit out a year for opting out. Personally, I'd love to see a free one time transfer for every athlete. Kids make wrong decisions and should have the option to look elsewhere especially when many times they are lied to in the recruiting process. Thanks for setting me straight. I know the institution I'm at would not let you step foot anywhere on campus without signing the NLI before day one not to mention the Financial Aid form which has to be resigned every summer. Usually, these issues to rise up for sports with a bunch of scholorships like football, hockey, and even basketball but the non-revenue sports those scholoships percentage points can be very valuable to coaches. I definately know all too well about that.<br>(How about Jeremy Bloom getting the shaft. Ouch!! Also, it will be interesting to see what they do with Mike Williams, I imagine he didn't go to school this spring so he could be in trouble. He better be trying to take a full load this summer if he wants to get back with the good graces of the NCAA) <p></p><i></i>