Eden Prairie

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

suomi27

Eden Prairie

Post by suomi27 »

I was at the Des Moines Buccaneers game last weekend and saw alot of Eden Prairie hockey players and overheard someone say that they were there to play the 2 high school teams.Just wanted to know what team went and how old most of the kids are on the team. I heard they played well with one team and not so well with the other. <p></p><i></i>
MNHockeyObserver

Down in I-wa

Post by MNHockeyObserver »

Yes, it was the EP Jr. Gold B Black team you saw in Iowa this weekend. They were there to play some different competition. One coach went to college in DSM and one went to ISU in Ames. The team is made up of 9th, 10th and 11th graders. <br><br>They played well against all three teams/games, but were overmatched against the DSM Capitals Varsity team on Friday, losing 8-0. The Caps refused to play their JV team, so EP took what they could get.<br><br>Saturday and Sunday they played against a kind of split-squad of the DSM Oak Leafs Var/JV players and lost 3-2 and 3-1, respectively. Overall they were pleased with the competition, their play and the whole trip. Something they will definitely look to do again next season.<br><br>They also took in that Bucs game and I hear that local EP kid Dave Watters scored a Bucs goal assisted by EP star Mike Erickson, but that the kids enjoyed the fights more than anything else. <p></p><i></i>
suomi27

Re: Down in I-wa

Post by suomi27 »

i'm not surprised that the capitals wouldn't play their jv, the coach does not like to loose. they took their team to the rochester christmas tournament one year and left after the first game by a very embarassing score.last year they played the wells fargo south midget team/ the duluth team and ssm midget team and the best they did was loose by 10.i'm sure they didn't want to take any chances. also 3 kids that would be seniors that used to play for them are gone. one plays for the buccaneers/ one plays for waterloo blackhawks/and the other plays for rochester lourdes. as for the buccaneer game tom pohl was in one of the fights,former mn kid and future gopher. thanks for the info <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub33.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUser ... suomi27</A> at: 2/10/04 3:43 pm<br></i>
MNHockeyObserver

Re: Down in I-wa

Post by MNHockeyObserver »

I don't even think the Caps coach was there. I think he was out of town, which is why the Varsity didn't have a game. Their manager ran the bench. The EP coach wasn't concerned about the big loss, just playing hard and doing little things right.<br><br>I heard one of the fights was quite a doozy and the Tri-City player got undressed and whooped by the Buc. I remember this guy about 10-12 years ago in the USHL that played for S. City and Waterloo. Man, could that guy fight. Can't remember his name, though. Started with an L. <br><br>Next year you'll have to keep an eye out to actually see the games instead of hear about them. <p></p><i></i>