Grand Rapids vs Cloquet 7AA Final @ DECC Sat. March 3

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Going to state......

Grand Rapids Thunderhawks
45%
Cloquet Lumberjacks
55%

Total votes: 97

boblee

Post by boblee »

For the amount of snow that has fallen, the roads aren't too bad.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

boblee wrote:For the amount of snow that has fallen, the roads aren't too bad.
just wait till thursday afternoon
casualfan

Post by casualfan »

I've heard it now twice that Stejskal is going to light up TJ if this is the case I hope GR isn't taking runs at him. The state lost an opportunity to see Millen play for Cloquet in the 80's I would hate like heck for the rest of the state not to see TJ if Cloquet is fortunate enough to make it to the State. Speaking for hockey fans I was disappointed not to see him on FSN and I for one would like to see him play at State
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:
This potential storm could mess things up in a major way, especially for the 7AA final. The early projections I've seen range anywhere from 6-10 inches all the way up to two feet. Duluth and the North Shore is currently under a Winter Storm Watch; my prediction is we'll see an upgrade to Winter Storm Warning by tomorrow morning.

Folks, this bites. I was used to seeing brown grass and looking forward to getting some March biking in and now it's a royal mess out there.

We'll see. I hope they (weather forecasters) are way off on this prediction.

By the way, if they postpone it, is Saturday afternoon the fall-back time? And if this storm hits early and strongly enough, would the 7A final also be in jeopardy? Keep our fingers crossed.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

Casualfan I agree. These are highschool kids that play ockey for fun. There is no reason to try to hurt a player. If you light him up then you light him up, but make it clean. Joe is known to go for peoples heads and now with a bad shoulder i wouldnt be surprised to see him try to do something cheap. I hope Rapids coach has more class than to let him do something like that, but we will see. I hope its a clean well faught game. Im sure its going to be very close.
northwoods oldtimer

Please

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I am going to let some of the CEC folks in on a little secret and that is that Hockey is a contact sport played by rugged individuals and checking is part of the game of hockey. Joe Stejskal from Grand Rapids is not a cheap player. Can he deliver a check? ....yes, but the kid is not a cheap shot in any way, shape or form. What you see in Grand Rapids verse Cloquet games is the end result of what occurs when a 6 foot 2, 200 pound guy with great foot work checks a guys who is 5 feet 9 inches and 165 pounds with a constant motor. Apply the laws of physics and the end result is TJ gets smoked. If Tyler Johnson cannot take a hit in high school what do you think he will do when he gets to college where guys can bring it BIG TIME. Tyler Johnson is a gifted player but the game is physical and you cannot shy away from that aspect. I am not p[rivy to his condition but IF the color bone is not a 100% why risk a more serious injury when the kid has a lock on a great D1 school in Colorado College.
casualfan

Post by casualfan »

Northwoods great points, my comments are not talking about clean hits. If Stejskal lights him up in a good clean hit fine, but I talking about talking pot shots after the whistle or hacking at the shoulder on irrelevant plays. If the game is played in a crisp and clean manner than may the best team win. I would love nothing better than to see White and Johnson flowing up and down the ice.
Rondo Hoppers

Post by Rondo Hoppers »

I know that the DECC seats about 5,000 or so. Does anyone see a problem with showing up at the gate to get tickets, or should one purchase in advance?
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

I agree oldtimer. Im just saying ive seen him lay some hits that are anything but clean. Joe is a very very skilled player and he plays the game well. Im not saying TJ shouldnt be hit im saying if you can hit him hit. That goes for anyone on anyteam. Who do you have going to state oldy
chopchopMN

Post by chopchopMN »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if he does cheap shot TJ Cloquet fans and players both wont be happy.
northwoods oldtimer

Percentages

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Right now I am leaning 60/40 Rapids as the health of that club is quite good and their D1 guys have stepped it up. Rapids 'achilles heel' is the loss of Coey Kosak on defense. The injury bug has hit both teams hard this season and timing could not have been worse for the Jacks who are not yet back to pre injury form. Up until that club catching the nasty injury bug they were the tops of 7AA....timing is everything. If the game goes to overtime Esse's studs are not in the shape they need to be in this time of year due to injury and lost ice time alone. Credit to Esse in doing a masterful job down the stretch and in the playoffs with a depleted lineup. That commentary and 10 cents will not buy a cup of coffee so take it with a grain of salt.
fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 »

east hockey wrote:
PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:
This potential storm could mess things up in a major way, especially for the 7AA final. The early projections I've seen range anywhere from 6-10 inches all the way up to two feet. Duluth and the North Shore is currently under a Winter Storm Watch; my prediction is we'll see an upgrade to Winter Storm Warning by tomorrow morning.

Folks, this bites. I was used to seeing brown grass and looking forward to getting some March biking in and now it's a royal mess out there.

We'll see. I hope they (weather forecasters) are way off on this prediction.

By the way, if they postpone it, is Saturday afternoon the fall-back time? And if this storm hits early and strongly enough, would the 7A final also be in jeopardy? Keep our fingers crossed.

Lee
I have to say I wouldn't be all that disappointed if they postponed them both to a double-header on Saturday. I have a boot hockey game Wednesday night and a test in my night class on Thursday. So if they are postponed to Saturday at least I could go! :-k \:D/
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

Thanks. Yeah i agree about the jacks running out of steam and timing is def. a key. White always seems to step it up come playoffs. BUT ill have to disagree with you on one thing. i think the jacks will take it. 3-2. GR will out shoot, and maybe out play the jacks but i have a feeling Reid is due to shut these guys down. Can't wait till thursday.
chopchopMN

Post by chopchopMN »

excuse me north woods but the only person that is not 100% healed is TJ. Every ones else is healed and playing. And if TJ plays on thursday I'm pretty sure he'll give it his best.
GRhawky

Post by GRhawky »

Yeah winter shows up 3 months tardy
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

When TJ is on the ice he needs to do something big. Last year he had a huge game but the outcome wasnt in the jacks favor. Last week agasint the elks he showed that he can still put the puck in the net. Someone was saying TJ is always a no factor, i think he will show them this week that even with a bad should he can do big things. so like i said 3-2 Jacks, TJ, Jokinen, Lundquist for cloquet. White and ? for GR.
shots 38-35 Rapids
boblee

Re: Percentages

Post by boblee »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Right now I am leaning 60/40 Rapids as the health of that club is quite good and their D1 guys have stepped it up. Rapids 'achilles heel' is the loss of Coey Kosak on defense. The injury bug has hit both teams hard this season and timing could not have been worse for the Jacks who are not yet back to pre injury form. Up until that club catching the nasty injury bug they were the tops of 7AA....timing is everything. If the game goes to overtime Esse's studs are not in the shape they need to be in this time of year due to injury and lost ice time alone. Credit to Esse in doing a masterful job down the stretch and in the playoffs with a depleted lineup. That commentary and 10 cents will not buy a cup of coffee so take it with a grain of salt.
Kosak will be back Thursday
DFORCE10

Post by DFORCE10 »

What was his injury? is he going to be full strength?
boblee

Post by boblee »

He had a hematoma (SP). Yes he will be 100%
rayfinkel

Post by rayfinkel »

Ill go with...

Cloquet 4

Rapids 1
boblee

Post by boblee »

rayfinkel wrote:Ill go with...

Cloquet 4

Rapids 1
Highly unlikely that it'll be a 3 goal spread either way.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I'll be drivin 320 miles Thursday afternoon to watch this. It better go into 4 OT's.
passer07

Post by passer07 »

GR 3
cloquet 2 OT
formerly7aafan

Post by formerly7aafan »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:I'll be drivin 320 miles Thursday afternoon to watch this. It better go into 4 OT's.
Not unless you are behind the wheel of a MnDOT plow!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I'll be coming from just north of Green Bay. I should ride snomobile to the game. Hwy 29 and Hwy 53 would make a pretty nice trail. :)