Bemidji to move from AA to A.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

2nd string

Post by 2nd string »

taking information from other people post and forming my opinion, hmm can't figure where you are going with that, everything I have posted is from looking at other people post, If you have to get that upset about something I said well I guess that is your right.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Gatzke, I think East dropped Roseau, because we had a few rough years where we weren't very competitive.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Hibbing went through the same process that Bemidji is doing. They let the players decide. This is an example of the people in charge lacking the courage to make a decision. The adults (athletic director, school board) should be making the decision because they should be looking beyond the next two years. This is a typical example of the inmates running the asylum. Hibbing is competitive with most AA schools year in and year out, but the thought of having to go through Cloquet and Duluth East each year scares them. Bemidji has the same fear, only its Moorhead and Roseau.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Not a very good example - the students are not inmates and the school is not an asylum.
The students voted and the coach and AD respected that decision. Perhaps students that lived in Coleraine during the 60's were not capable of rational thinking but today's students are.

Playing A hockey is not a reason be condemned, ridiculed or scorned.
Bemidji did not choose to play A. By MSHSL definition they are A.
And maybe Greeenway high school is not one of them, but there are good A hockey schools; Hibbing included.
Why would someone with teh board name of Greenway condemn others for playing A hockey when Greenway did not opt up to AA. They have the same opportunity Hibbing and Bemidji.

Apparently, there are some that believe the Tier I - Tier II system was a good idea.
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

The whole issue is a moot point - The 'Jacks are pretenders no matter what class they choose to play in.

8)
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

Brrrrmidji Chicken Ships will be looking to schedule the following schools for their 2007-2008 season................ Indus, Gilbert, Williams, Erskine, Walker and Talmoon :lol:
Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey »

gatzke wrote:same when the rams moved up in '98. Their schedule didn't change hardly at all, except now they got a AA school in their cities trip, added the St. Cloud trip and dropped the Duluth trip (which doesn't make much sense to me they dropped a game with East and Cloquet)
Actually, The Rams added Duluth East after they moved up to AA. They played them 4 years 98-99 season through the 01-02 season. The last year they played Cloquet was the 2003-2004 season. In 2004-2005 they added both St. Cloud schools.

But you are correct in the fact that Bemidji's schedule doesn't have to change much. They don't even have to play all the Mariucci conference teams if they don't want to. They are a good enough program they will get good games either as A or AA.

The question is will this help the program. The best thing Roseau did was to move up to AA as it has helped the program from squirts to high school since they made that move. Either way it is what it is and I wish them the luck and hope to see them back in AA in a couple of years.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Since the decision was left up to the players they aren't going to take into consideration anything beyond their time at the HS and frankly, why should they? Every two years they have the choice to opt up or not, its not like they'll be in A forever. So they want to stay in A because it's easier to win? Is there anything wrong with wanting to win? There is no shame in playing A hockey.... where they, by rule, should be.
The U invented swagger.
GophyFan18

Post by GophyFan18 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:Since the decision was left up to the players they aren't going to take into consideration anything beyond their time at the HS and frankly, why should they? Every two years they have the choice to opt up or not, its not like they'll be in A forever. So they want to stay in A because it's easier to win? Is there anything wrong with wanting to win? There is no shame in playing A hockey.... where they, by rule, should be.
Say if Holy Angels saw that they wouldn't have a chance to win AA state for a couple of years but could still be a top 20 team in AA, do you think people would be happy if they played in A because they could and would win? Probably not. Bemidji's not a very strong AA program, but if they can still get a 3 seed out of 9 teams in their section, it makes it look like they're moving to A not because of their enrollment, but an "easier" road to make it to a state tourney. So my point is is that Holy Angels could play A hockey, even though they could still be towards the top of the section they're in now. According to you, by rule, they SHOULD be in A, but they want to man up and go for the big title.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I stick by my analogy. The fact that Greenway did not opt up does not change my opinion about Bemidji and Hibbing. I guarantee that if Greenway had the same enrollments as either Bemidji or Hibbing they would opt up. It was disappointing that Greenway did not opt up, but they will be lucky to have a team in three years. Both Bemidji and Hibbing are examples of taking the easy way out. Rather than try to bring the program up to a higher level, they chose to try to be the big fish in the little pond. But Bemidji won't even be that.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Greenway1969, Greenways enrollment is pretty close to the same as Roseau's! In fact, Roseau's 10-12 enrollment will be about 25 less next year, as we graduate our largest senior class ever. I am pretty sure we will continue to opt up.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I am sorry YOU (all of you) do not get to pick and chose who plays AA and A.
Bemidji has 35 or so kids in bantams this year. Maybe 38 in peewees and about the same in squirts.
Most of you do not know a thing about Bemidj HS, the student population, the make-up of the city, etc....

Greenway of Coleraine elects not to play up, but yet they did when they had Guyer and Sertich....
Little Falls has 3 of the best forwards inthe state, but plays A hockey...
BHS has played AA hockey for the last 8 years when they could have played single A. So for the next couple of years they will be playing single A against all the teams they play bantam and pee-wee hockey against. And if you think they have no chance in secton 8A but say they were #3 in 8AA so they should stay there...
well, you're idiots for making such statements...
you're ignorant to the point of being stupid for not giving tham a chance in 8A next year....

And putting down people behind a fictitious name is cowardly. So don't tell me about kids and grown men that are friends of mine, that I have known for a long time, that are good kids and decent people.
Take care of your own backyard, or step out in the open so we can judge you on what you do for your local hockey programs.

You know who I am, maybe not the best at what I do for the kids, but I do it... and so do the guys in BYHA and at BHS. Most, like I, do it for nothing.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

That's why I always admired Roseau. I'm not excusing Greenway, I repeat: I am disappointed in them. Any remarks I make about Bemidji and Hibbing can apply to Greenway. But that does not make my comments about Bemidji and Hibbing less valid. They can't win so they don't want to play. Once again, if Greenway had their enrollments I guarantee they would be AA. I firmly believe that if you set high goals you are going to perform even better.
WASABEMIDJIFAN

Post by WASABEMIDJIFAN »

Elliot your right. I am going to change my view 180 degrees after giving this some more thought.

We will have a great chance of going to the state tourny the next two years in A and if that gets people excited about hockey in Bemidji again I think it could be a great thing for the youth program.

I still would have liked to see them stay AA but would like to apologize to the players who might have read some earlier posts. Sorry.
RamFan2010!

Post by RamFan2010! »

WASABEMIDJIFAN wrote:Elliot your right. I am going to change my view 180 degrees after giving this some more thought.

We will have a great chance of going to the state tourny the next two years in A and if that gets people excited about hockey in Bemidji again I think it could be a great thing for the youth program.

I still would have liked to see them stay AA but would like to apologize to the players who might have read some earlier posts. Sorry.
Yeah I do feel sorry for those players that come on here and read this topic, but I guess they made the decision and in their minds it was the right one to make so the rest of us probaly shouldnt care cause we aren't the ones playing A next year....
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Thank you, gentlemen.
It was not a question of being right or wrong.
Just showing support for a group of young guys doing what they think is right for them.
RamFan2010!

Post by RamFan2010! »

elliott70 wrote:Thank you, gentlemen.
Just showing support for a group of young guys doing what they think is right for them.
did you forget...haha
SB24

Post by SB24 »

RamFan2010! wrote:
did you forget...haha
NOBODY CARES THAT YOU ARE A GIRL... :!:
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
Sealdog35

Post by Sealdog35 »

this should be a good opportunity for Bemidji to rebound in the next couple years after some down years. their schedule probably won't change much. the Marriucci conference will still provide plenty of competition for them...the only changes i see are the few games Bemidji plays with southern 8AA teams, and maybe some of the CLC opponents they face. The future is bright for the Jacks it seems, with good results from both the Peewee and Bantam A teams this season.
SB24

Post by SB24 »

Like i said before, i would welcome any good competition we could get for 8A, the more the merrier. And i totally agree with what Elliot is trying to accomplish here. No matter what people on this board say, going for the title in A gives you the exact same feelings as going for it in AA.
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
RamFan2010!

Post by RamFan2010! »

SB24 wrote:
RamFan2010! wrote:
did you forget...haha
NOBODY CARES THAT YOU ARE A GIRL... :!:
OK!! haha (I was kidding by the way thats why i put the haha at the end) I wasnt mad or torked or anything, some people take this way to seriously!!! :mrgreen:!!!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

And Lady!
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

elliott70 wrote:you're ignorant to the point of being stupid for not giving tham a chance in 8A next year....
I don't think anybody is writing off Bemidji's chances in 8A next year, Elliott. As for the reasons to opt down, it really doesn't matter. Maybe the players will get some self gratification and the city of Bemidji will get more attention if they can make it out of 8A. However, I really don't think they're going to accomplish much more(for themselves, the city, etc.) than they would if they stayed in AA. Good luck to them, though.
mnwild18

Post by mnwild18 »

A little off topic but Elliot I was wondering how many seniors they had this year and who were they?
RamFan2010!

Post by RamFan2010! »

elliott70 wrote:And Lady!
haha I was just kidding..... I was hopping you would get that I dint care that you said gentlemen or whatever, I was just pointing it out! :lol: