3rd goalie

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sterfry9

3rd goalie

Post by sterfry9 »

what are peoples thoughts on goalies that our 3rd string in d1 hockey? im just kind of curious as to why goalies would want to do that instead of play d3 or try to get on another d1 team that you would have a chance of playing either 1st string or backup....
holdin the stick

Post by holdin the stick »

They are usually young guys who could be starting in the future right?
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

They are usually young guys who could be starting in the future right?
That's what I always thought. I thought some were redshirts too.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

Holdin The Stick wrote:They are usually young guys who could be starting in the future right?
In some cases they are, but in others, like Brent Solei for the Gophers, they're merely practice goalies. Guys like that are just there for the experience. They have the pride of saying they played for the Gophers and get to practice every day with some very good hockey players.

In the WCHA, Solei, Ziegelman, O'Brien, Clark, etc, all are 3rd goalies that are little more than practice props. In most cases, 3rd string goalies will not see the ice, but they are brought in as insurance in case the top guy gets hurt.
Hockeyman1606

Post by Hockeyman1606 »

[quote="Blue Breeze"][quote="Holdin The Stick"]

In some cases they are, but in others, like Brent Solei for the Gophers, they're merely practice goalies. quote]

I agree to say your part of an organization like the gophers is great...you may be able to say you won a national championship...but your still part of the team
MNHockeyFan1

Post by MNHockeyFan1 »

Ziegelmann got some quality time in 2 years ago in playoffs. I give him credit. Nate your good, keep working!
gtimehocey

Post by gtimehocey »

if there was a jv team they would start but theres not and also they cant call some one can in highschool or pros if one of them gets hurt
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

3rd goalies are like bass players in a band, they are there but no one notices them. I say a third string D1 goalie should play D3. It is good hockey and they could probably be starters and have less splinters in their butts.
MNHockeyFan1

Post by MNHockeyFan1 »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:3rd goalies are like bass players in a band, they are there but no one notices them. I say a third string D1 goalie should play D3. It is good hockey and they could probably be starters and have less splinters in their butts.
I notice 3rd string goalies, if you playing to get noticed that is stupid. They love to play hockey, and there good enough to play at a D-1 level, and they eventually get some games in. And they get to play every day in practice. I give credit to good D-1 goalies who sit the bench.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

What about the education? Maybe Solei wanted to go to the U and he had the opportunity to play hockey along with it. Education seems like it would matter more to a 3rd stringer since they probably aren't going to advance on any further in the hockey ranks.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls