Albert Lea Tournament Blue Bracket

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Who will win?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:30 am

Albert Lea
33%
Champlin Park
No votes
Osseo-Maple Grove
No votes
Onalaska
No votes
Centenial
50%
South St. Paul
17%
Rochester
No votes

Total votes: 6

Rossbury21

Albert Lea Tournament Blue Bracket

Post by Rossbury21 »

Any Thoughts on a winner
First Round Matchups

Albert Lea
Champlin Park

Osseo-Maple Grove
Onalaska

Centenial
South St. Paul

Rochester
Hudson
Jethrotull

Albert Lea

Post by Jethrotull »

Lakeville plays WBL Orange on Saturday. Can you post the other bracket so we can see all teams in Albert Lea this weekend.
UNDlars

Blue & Red bracket results

Post by UNDlars »

RED BRACKET:

Championship:
RAVE over Inver Grove

3rd:
White Bear Orange over Des Moines

Consolation:
Lakeville over Buffalo

7th:
Edina over Tartan

BLUE BRACKET:

Championship:
Centennial U16 over Osseo

3rd:
Hudson U16 over Albert Lea

Consolation:
South St Paul over Champlin Park

7th:
Onalaska over Rochester
irishfan08

Post by irishfan08 »

that centennial u-16 team is way good they seem to be in the top 3 in the state every year... this is probably because they pick their u-16 team before they choose their junior gold B team.
The Weight Room

Post by The Weight Room »

the blue bracket was set up for albert lea to win and it turns out they cant even handle a U16 team from wisconsin, and show absolutely no sportsmanship after they lost their fourth place game.

Red Bracket was were all the good teams were placed.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Yeah that was pretty sad with Albert Lea at the end. Especially when after their guy gets kicked out he swears at the top of his lungs so everyone in the arena could here him. Classy!!!

The red bracket was stacked. 6 of the top 10 in state and the bottom half of the bracket had 4 of the top 5. Quite a few good games in the red bracket.
Rossbury21

Post by Rossbury21 »

Yeah, that centenial team was really good, they could move the puck better then any team there, they probally would not have made it to the championship in the red bracket however
'za Man

Post by 'za Man »

UNDlars wrote:Yeah that was pretty sad with Albert Lea at the end. Especially when after their guy gets kicked out he swears at the top of his lungs so everyone in the arena could here him. Classy!!!
Having a kid on the Hudson team I was totally floored by the host teams actions! Not only were their players bad sports but their fans were NOT any better. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You would think that being the "Host" team they would of been on their best behavoir, I guess their coach left out that discussion before the games began. We were told that they took 30 penalties in the 3rd place game. They must of had 15 just in the 3rd period and had at least 3 maybe 4 players tossed for too many penalties. An I would have to agree with UNDlars that the words coming out of the last one's mouth were not good, I would have to agree "VERY CLASSY"

After viewing a few of the games in the "Red" Bracket I'm glad our kids were in the "Blue". We would of took a pounding from most if not all of those teams. Some very good teams were present at this tourney.

We came so close to getting in the championship game after losing to the U16 team from Centennial by a 4-3 score. Anybody catch that slapshot from above the blue line by that #15 from Hudson at the beginning of the 2nd period. Talk about smokin' the goalie..... I don't think he ever saw it.

Overall our kids played a very good tourney and we are VERY PROUD of them.

I think Albert Lea should offer a seminar to their kids on "good Sportsmanship" because they were lacking on any resemblance of.
irishfan08

Post by irishfan08 »

'za Man wrote:
UNDlars wrote:Yeah that was pretty sad with Albert Lea at the end. Especially when after their guy gets kicked out he swears at the top of his lungs so everyone in the arena could here him. Classy!!!
Having a kid on the Hudson team I was totally floored by the host teams actions! Not only were their players bad sports but their fans were NOT any better. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You would think that being the "Host" team they would of been on their best behavoir, I guess their coach left out that discussion before the games began. We were told that they took 30 penalties in the 3rd place game. They must of had 15 just in the 3rd period and had at least 3 maybe 4 players tossed for too many penalties. An I would have to agree with UNDlars that the words coming out of the last one's mouth were not good, I would have to agree "VERY CLASSY"

After viewing a few of the games in the "Red" Bracket I'm glad our kids were in the "Blue". We would of took a pounding from most if not all of those teams. Some very good teams were present at this tourney.

We came so close to getting in the championship game after losing to the U16 team from Centennial by a 4-3 score. Anybody catch that slapshot from above the blue line by that #15 from Hudson at the beginning of the 2nd period. Talk about smokin' the goalie..... I don't think he ever saw it.

Overall our kids played a very good tourney and we are VERY PROUD of them.

I think Albert Lea should offer a seminar to their kids on "good Sportsmanship" because they were lacking on any resemblance of.
in the playoffs last year vs igh albert Lea fans spat on the players after igh tossed them 9-1...
Jethrotull

Poorly run

Post by Jethrotull »

Very poorly run tournament. Brackets were uneven. Refs were inexperienced and lazy. Ice was soft, slow and very beat up. Host team was an embarrassment along with some of their fans. I would advise teams to overlook this tournament next year.
sabby08

Post by sabby08 »

i think the refs were really unfair to the home team, In the third place game a player on albert lea through his stick at the puck to prevent a open net goal and his stick didn't touch puck and the puck still missed the net and they still gave them a goal and i talk to alot of hockey players and they said it should of just been a penalty shot.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

The refs called all the games very similar. I did not see the refs playing favorites for anyone. Plus, the actions and unsportsmanship should have had nothing to do with that empty net goal.

The refs got the call correctly...
http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule88.html#a
Jethrotull

Tossing the lumber

Post by Jethrotull »

In your defensive zone, by a defensive player, a stick thrown at the puck or offensive player to prevent a scoring opportunity is a delayed penalty, as play continues if a goal is not scored or a whistle is blown, and the thrown stick deflected the puck or brought down the offensive player, a penalty shot will be awarded. A stick thrown that does not effect play is a just a delayed penalty. If a stick is thrown and deflects a puck that was shot at the net and was obviously going in the net, then a goal is awarded even though the puck did not go into the net.
'za Man

Post by 'za Man »

I beleive UNDlars has it right......

From USA Hockey Rule Book
Rule 636 Throwing Stick
(a) When any player or Team Official of the defending team
deliberately throws or shoots a stick or any part thereof or
any other object at the puck in his Defending Zone, the
Referee shall allow the play to be completed and if a goal is
not scored, a penalty shot/optional minor shall be taken by
the player designated by the Referee as the player fouled.
If, however, the goal being unattended and the attacking
player having no defending player to pass and having a
chance to score on an “open goal,” a stick or part thereof or
any other object is thrown or shot by any member of the
defending team in or into its Defending Zone, thereby
preventing an obvious and imminent goal, a goal shall be
awarded to the attacking team.

(Note 2) For the purpose of this rule, an open goal is defined
as one from which a goalkeeper has been removed for an
additional attacking player.

So my interpetation of the rule is it doesn't matter if the thrown stick touches the puck or not, it's a goal.
UNDlars

Post by UNDlars »

Nice catch 'za. I couldn't find the USA hockey rules so I figured I'd just use the NHL rules. I figured they would be the same in a situation like this.