How good are Follow The Puck Rankings?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Let-the-KIDS-play

How good are Follow The Puck Rankings?

Post by Let-the-KIDS-play »

They have class A rankings like this.........
1A------5 teams
2A------2
3A------0
4A------3
5A------4
6A------1
7A------3
8A------2
Just kinda of wondering how they figure them out? Just by wins and loses??????? :?:
EREmpireStrikesBack

Re: How good are Follow The Puck Rankings?

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Let-the-KIDS-play wrote:They have class A rankings like this.........
1A------5 teams
2A------2
3A------0
4A------3
5A------4
6A------1
7A------3
8A------2
Just kinda of wondering how they figure them out? Just by wins and loses??????? :?:
Just let the kids play and don't worry about the rankings.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
1A------5 teams
2A------2
3A------0
4A------3
5A------4
6A------1
7A------3
8A------2

:lol: :lol:
HOUNDS
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

1A------5 teams
2A------2
3A------0
4A------3
5A------4
6A------1
7A------3
8A------2

Rankings mean nothing till the week after the tourney...
WayOutWest

Post by WayOutWest »

1A------5 teams
2A------2
3A------0
4A------3
5A------4
6A------1
7A------3
8A------2
Checking your figures.........taking "3A", for example:

93 - Hutchinson
95 - New Ulm
102 - Litchfield
109 - Marshall
120 - Willmar
140 - Luverne
142 - Windom
148 - Redwood Valley
150 - Worthington
153 - Fairmont
154 - Sleepy Eye

I think they're all listed in the rankings, so I don't know where you're getting the "0" from. Were you only looking at the top 25, or so?
If so, which of these powerhouses :roll: did you imagine should be there?
Obviously, strength of schedule is a large factor in the rankings.
By the looks of this section, it may be a crime that they actually get a state tournament bid. :oops:
Let-the-KIDS-play

Come on now I was just trying to find out how this web site came up with rankings, 2 teams from 8A and one is Park Rapids? I just found this site and was wondering what everybody thinks about it!Sorry!

http://minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

These look just fine. Good web site! Every single game scores for every team in MN! COOL! 8)
If Doug did not have ratings you would scream at that too?
Look at Elliott’s forum link in Youth side it’s for just Northern Bantam A teams. :)

Let’s-the kids-play, why don’t you give us what you think they should be??? :?
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Let-the-KIDS-play wrote:Come on now I was just trying to find out how this web site came up with rankings, 2 teams from 8A and one is Park Rapids? I just found this site and was wondering what everybody thinks about it!Sorry!

http://minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/
Email the guy and ask. I'm sure he'll let you know how its done. Donate to the site while you're at it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I think the entire site is a bit of a mess.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

It must be semi-objective at least. I like the ranking for the most part, but there are little things about them that show they are probably not computer generated.
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

I have no opinion on the rankings, but I really must pass on my thanks to the guy who runs the website. I very much appreciate the scores, schedules and section ratings.
Let-the-KIDS-play

Again people I was not ripping this site or even trying to question its rankings, just trying to figure out how they calculate them! I just found the site and was curious...Does seem to have pretty good info on it....
Jack

Post by Jack »

Again people I was not ripping this site or even trying to question its rankings, just trying to figure out how they calculate them! I just found the site and was curious...Does seem to have pretty good info on it....
I was ripping the site. I do appreciate the effort that has been put in too it, and the dedication the webmaster has to Minnesota High School hockey. However, the site is not at all visually appealing. I apologize for my nit-picking, but I would much rather visit minnhock or dent for my updates.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Jack wrote:
I was ripping the site. I do appreciate the effort that has been put in too it, and the dedication the webmaster has to Minnesota High School hockey. However, the site is not at all visually appealing. I apologize for my nit-picking, but I would much rather visit minnhock or dent for my updates.
Visually appealing? Do you work for HGTV?

SiouxRecruit

Post by SiouxRecruit »

Jack wrote:
Visually appealing? Do you work for HGTV?

A good site SHOULD be visually appealing(ex: easy to understand, visuals, add-ons, links, placements..etc..)...Im not saying followthepuck is or isnt..but..it doesnt take someone from HGTV to know that...
Catch me On YouTube @ FishOnLuke
FollowThePuck

Post by FollowThePuck »

Hey everyone...

Thanks for the discussion about my website. I like to hear the 'constructive criticism' as well as the praise. All is appreciated.

The rankings can be a little chaotic. I do have to admit that. BUT, I do study hard before making a decision on the list. The top 11 teams in Class AA are pretty solid. After Eastview, the teams have shifted quite a bit because I cannot get a good read on these teams. Just when you think they are on their way, they have a bad game against a mediocre team. I make my judgment on who they have beaten, who they have lost to, how they are trending, close games/blowouts, and try to place them that way. I don't know if anyone saw it or not but I had compiled the records for Sections against Sections. If you didn't see it, here it is:

CLASS AA: Overall Section vs. Section records (As of 01/13/08) :

1. 6AA: 49-23-2 vs. other Class AA sections
2. 4AA: 38-31-0
3. 3AA: 41-38-1
4. 2AA: 32-31-3
5. 5AA: 24-27-3
6. 7AA: 31-36-1
7. 8AA: 14-18-2
8. 1AA: 9-31-4

Class AA teams vs. Class A teams: 149-121-7

Class AA teams vs. North Dakota teams: 6-3-2

Class AA teams vs. Wisconsin teams: 2-3-0

Class AA teams vs. Canadian teams: 2-0-0

That is a big reason why there are 3 6AA teams in the top 10.

I have not done one for Class A yet. I just have not had the chance.

Either with computer rankings or human, there are going to be differences. Computer rankings are great but, as you see with the BCS for Division I college football, not exactly accurate. Ohio State was NOT the 2nd best team in the nation. In my opinion, I would have liked to seen USC vs. LSU. I think USC would have won. The rankings are subject to a static formula when there are so many different dynamics to any sport. I read the computer rankings to for entertainment purposes just like anyone would read mine. The real deal comes down to playing the game and making the big show in the end. Rankings will never get your team there (unless your a Division I college football team). The rankings just gives you an indication on what teams are good in the state, that's all.

Oh yeah .. Park Rapids .. They are having a great year. Anytime you can go 17-0, even if the competition has been less than stellar, it is a great accomplishment. It is true that they have yet to play a ranked team besides East Grand Forks who was completely over ranked by me early in the season. They have been rewarded for their undefeated efforts by being placed 9th on my poll. Are they the 9th best team in the state? It's hard to tell when they are still undefeated but the consensus is that they probably are not. We'll get to see what they are made of, a little bit, on Thursday when they face Thief River Falls at home. The Prowlers were given high expectations early in the year and they are currently sitting at 6-9. Yet, they have beaten Totino-Grace, Virginia/Mountain Iron-Buhl, AND Moorhead. They also only lost by two goals to Roseau and gave Warroad a tough battle on Saturday losing 2-3. They've seen much better competition than Park Rapids at this point. If Park Rapids gets an impressive win, I don't think anyone will doubt them anymore.

As for the visual aspects of the site, I have to agree that it isn't exactly easy on the eyes. The flow stinks and the navigation is less than the desired. I have a ZERO budget and the site was offered to me for free through Google/Blogspot so I took the challenge. In the end, it's not bad for $0. Well, okay, I did buy the domain name for a few bucks but I didn't have to.

I would LOVE to be able to build a bigger and better website, one preferably with a database. 100% manual entry is not fun and takes all of my free time. I don't know how many of you remember VarsityOnline. I think dent10?? remembers because I think he helped send us some missing box scores back when it was still up and running. That is the type of site I would like to bring back to life. It was easy to navigate and the stats were sortable on one table, a lot like Point Streak but the layout was 100% better on VarsityOnline. I can't stand the lay out for Max Preps. It takes hours to figure out the goalie save percentage through that site because they don't offer that stat. Plus, I have high speed internet and it takes their pages awhile to load up sometimes. It is just an overall ugly layout.

That gives you a little bit of insight to what I am doing. Again, I appreciate the feedback. If you ever have any more thoughts, praise or constructive criticism, please email me at followthepuck@sio.midco.net.

Thanks all!

Best regards,

Doug Hagen
FollowThePuck.com
Last edited by FollowThePuck on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

Keep up the good work!
Rbkhockey21

Post by Rbkhockey21 »

I second that, great site..keep up the work Doug!!
HShockeywatcher

Wow, I can't believe how you guys are tearing this site to shreds. This site is great and offers so many things to viewers.
1. For starters, why do you guys care about how visually appealing a stats website is? I look on this site, minnhock, minnesota scores, and many others for stats, not the pretty pictures. They could be in black and white for all I care.
2. This site has the listing of all the games FSN sponsors.
3. This site has the link to mnsportsnetwork when they are offering games.
4. State ranking, section standings.
5. How a team has done against teams in the two classes, then broken into different sections.
6. Scores everyday of all MN teams against all opponents; apparently all entered by hand!
7. Archives of many different things having to do with MSHSL hockey.
8. Links to anything having to do with hockey.
9. After all that, I will say I do have slight quarrel with the rankings. In some cases one games makes a huge difference, in others it doesn't. Not too consistent in my eyes. But hey, another view, another ranking system, it's all good.

I donated $5 as I use the site often. That alone won't do much, but for all you complaining, why not do the same and see what he can do with a little help?
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Another stupid post by circleboy...I saw what? a couple people criticize the site for some things? big deal!
Doug thanked them for there opinions, and areas he can improve, then you come on to be some bootlicking hero?

Most people that posted said they appreciate the site, as do I, it's got great updates, top games of the day, and another take on games and rankings that give another view point.
You want to talk about getting ripped to shreds... you just set yourself up for another round.

Time to cue Milhouse again :roll:
HShockeywatcher

How did I set myself up for anything? I complimented the guy and asked people to stop complaining about the site; I can only see that setting me up for people to be nice. But that would be thinking logically.
STC18

Post by STC18 »

Zamman wrote:
1A------5 teams
2A------2
3A------0
4A------3
5A------4
6A------1
7A------3
8A------2

Rankings mean nothing till the week after the tourney...
Extremely well put Zamman.
Ben Dover plays BOTH ways.
EREmpireStrikesBack

HShockeywatcher wrote:Wow, I can't believe how you guys are tearing this site to shreds. This site is great and offers so many things to viewers.
1. For starters, I don't post on there.
Fixed.

Jack

Post by Jack »

How did I set myself up for anything? I complimented the guy and asked people to stop complaining about the site; I can only see that setting me up for people to be nice. But that would be thinking logically.

There is a difference between complaining and criticism.

Through my criticism I got a reply from the webmaster and he kindly explained the situation...you know...like an adult.

Too bad many others on this board struggle with this...acting like an adult that is.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Jack wrote:

There is a difference between complaining and criticism.

Through my criticism I got a reply from the webmaster and he kindly explained the situation...you know...like an adult.

Too bad many others on this board struggle with this...acting like an adult that is.
That's what I'm here for.