Woodbury vs. Rosemount 3AA Final

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who's going to come out on top?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Woodbury
48%
Rosemount
52%

Total votes: 75

hockey_playa7

Post by hockey_playa7 »

when is this game? im sorry if this has been answered already... I'm thinking about taking a roadtrip to watch my old team retake this section!
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

hockey_playa7 wrote:when is this game? im sorry if this has been answered already... I'm thinking about taking a roadtrip to watch my old team retake this section!
Thursday night at the Coliseum. 7:00.
hockey_playa7

Post by hockey_playa7 »

Awesome... thank you!!
Royals 5-3 with EN
Rbkhockey21

Post by Rbkhockey21 »

marchmadness wrote:the weight room

woodbury having played well last year and came up with an upset overtime win will help their confidence and mentality going into this game. rosemount, on the other hand, may feel a little out of place not having played in a section final game in im not sure how long. experience can have huge impacts on games.
To be honest this shouldnt matter at all..and if Woodbury is so expected to win then Rosemount would be in that "underdog" feeling.
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

This game could go either way, that's why you play the game. It should be a good one.
joycer10

Post by joycer10 »

I'm goin with Woodbury and here's why

1. Goaltending
Brandon Wigend is one of the best goaltenders in the state he's had a fantastic year. I think he'll shut down many of the Irish's scoring opportunities and hold them to under 3 goals.

2. More Depth
The Royals have tons of players that can score and they had 4 different goal scorers against Eastview last night (Eddy, Ogren, Kopp, and Forstner). While the Irish rely to much on their superstars like J.T Brown who scored 2 of their 3 goals against Cretin. I think that Woodbury's depth will keep Rosemounts Defense off balance and create several scoring opportunities

3. David Eddy!
It's nearly impossible to contain this kid in big games not even Cretin or Hill-Murray could hold him in check last year in the post season. But if the Irish can't keep him away from the puck he'll put up 3 or 4 points just ask Cretin. In last years section championship against them David scored a hat trick to lead the Royals to a 4-3 o.t upset victory.
Rbkhockey21

Post by Rbkhockey21 »

joycer10 wrote:I'm goin with Woodbury and here's why

1. Goaltending
Brandon Wigend is one of the best goaltenders in the state he's had a fantastic year. I think he'll shut down many of the Irish's scoring opportunities and hold them to under 3 goals.

2. More Depth
The Royals have tons of players that can score and they had 4 different goal scorers against Eastview last night (Eddy, Ogren, Kopp, and Forstner). While the Irish rely to much on their superstars like J.T Brown who scored 2 of their 3 goals against Cretin. I think that Woodbury's depth will keep Rosemounts Defense off balance and create several scoring opportunities

3. David Eddy!
It's nearly impossible to contain this kid in big games not even Cretin or Hill-Murray could hold him in check last year in the post season. But if the Irish can't keep him away from the puck he'll put up 3 or 4 points just ask Cretin. In last years section championship against them David scored a hat trick to lead the Royals to a 4-3 o.t upset victory.
First..i'll just correct you on a few things.
Brown didnt score ANY of the 3 goals against Cretin, get facts straight.

Second..Morgan held Cretin scoreless, wigend let in 3 against Eastview

Third..Rosemount had 3 different goal scorers in last nights game (Dale, Porter, Percy)

and lastly..you are talking about LAST years sections, this is THIS year. Thank you!
hockeydad0930

Post by hockeydad0930 »

This will be a great game to be at, but I like Rosemount for a few reasons.

One, they play a much more physical game than Woodbury does, and after watching last night's Woodbury/Eastview game, it seemed to me that the more Woodbury got hit, the more they got frustrated. Yes they had a great comeback win, but I watched several times that Eddy got hit hard and he threw some cheap shots. One time kneeing the back of an Eastview player's head repeatedly...pretty classy there. Rosemount gets under team's skin, and I expect to see a lot of penalties both ways on Thursday. Watch for Hawkins for Rosemount to be throwing his body around and trying to throw off Woodbury's scorers.

Rosemount played one of their best games of the season last night, and even with some sloppy defensive zone play, still managed to keep the puck out of the net, Morgan had been struggling a bit coming into the sections, but if he stays hot like he was in the middle of the regular season, I like Rosemount's chances.

Last, even though the whole world thinks Rosemount only gets scoring from their top line, which I know makes up a lot of their scoring, their second line has been putting away a lot of pucks recently. JT has been held scoreless in a lot of recent games, but had 3 or 4 assists against Park, and another last night, and has only proven that Rosemount does not need him to score to win games.

This should be a close game, but in the end, Rosemount 4-2.
Hockeyboomer

Edina

Post by Hockeyboomer »

Rosemount is clearly the better team and from a tougher conference, but Woodbury has the momentum and destiny. 5-4 Woodbury.....now not everyone hates Edina.....it's the Private schools we should all hate!!. Could you imagine how good Rosemount would be with the guys they lost to St. Thomas.
hockey_playa7

Post by hockey_playa7 »

hmm... What about the players woodbury lost to Hill? i believe a couple of the top scorers in the state... who are in class AA, not A... Rosemount, a tougher conference than wodbury? hmmm....?
Jacketfan06

Post by Jacketfan06 »

Rosemount 3 to 2. should be a good one. could go either way easily
*Carolina Hurricanes 2006 Stanley Cup Champions*
komada77

Post by komada77 »

Royals win int 4-3 in OT. Eddy is unstoppable, Brown is stoppable. Wigen is better than Morgan and Woodbury plays better team D than Rosemount. Woodbury also has one of the best coaches in the state in Wes Bolin on their bench, a factor that all-too-often gets overlooked.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
komada77

Re: Edina

Post by komada77 »

Hockeyboomer wrote:Rosemount is clearly the better team and from a tougher conference, but Woodbury has the momentum and destiny. 5-4 Woodbury.....now not everyone hates Edina.....it's the Private schools we should all hate!!. Could you imagine how good Rosemount would be with the guys they lost to St. Thomas.
Clearly the better team-no
Tougher conference-yes
NOT everyone hates edina-false
STEV16

Post by STEV16 »

Wigen is better than Morgan
I think Morgan is better, at least watching the two games last night
the water

Post by the water »

STEV16 wrote:

well you cant say morgan is better after one game. i understand it was cretin but they are way down after that past couple of seasons. wiggin let in 1 goal that he maybe could have saved. the others were of deflections and screens. i got woodbury coming out on top with 5 2
komada77

Post by komada77 »

STEV16 wrote:
Season Stats:

Wigen-1159 minutes played, 2.288 GAA, 52 goals against, 4 shutouts
Morgan-1179 minutes played, 3.071 GAA, 71 goals against, 3 shutouts

the numbers don't lie
Rbkhockey21

Post by Rbkhockey21 »

the water wrote:
STEV16 wrote:

well you cant say morgan is better after one game. i understand it was cretin but they are way down after that past couple of seasons. wiggin let in 1 goal that he maybe could have saved. the others were of deflections and screens. i got woodbury coming out on top with 5 2
If this is the case, I did happen to catch the Cretin-Woodbury game where Woodbury snuck out the W in OT 2-1...so that makes that statement not fully true then!
the water

Post by the water »

Rbkhockey21 wrote:
the water wrote:
STEV16 wrote: I think Morgan is better, at least watching the two games last night

If this is the case, I did happen to catch the Cretin-Woodbury game where Woodbury snuck out the W in OT 2-1...so that makes that statement not fully true then!

rbk so you so the last time woodbury played cretin how about the frist time? when woodbury beat cretin 3 1 and had 2 starters injured. the game you saw was a bad game on woodburys part dont get me wrong but they still came out with the win. also woodbury is on a hot streak right now winning their last 8 games in a row ( beating teams like roseville white beat cretin eastview) this should give them enough momentum to push through to state just like last year !!!!!!!this will be at great game that woodbury will win !!!
joycer10

Post by joycer10 »

komada77 wrote:Royals win int 4-3 in OT. Eddy is unstoppable, Brown is stoppable. Wigen is better than Morgan and Woodbury plays better team D than Rosemount. Woodbury also has one of the best coaches in the state in Wes Bolin on their bench, a factor that all-too-often gets overlooked.
Amen to that
Irish11

Post by Irish11 »

After staying and watching the Eastview-Woodbury game (props to Woodbury for the win), I was not very impressed by woodbury at all. They just didn't seem to have the urgency and energy that rosemount does. I honestly think Morgan is going to get on a hot streak and will shut Woodbury down on thursday. Physical play will dominate this game, Woodbury does not play physical, rosemount does. Rosemount gets this game 2-0.
Last edited by Irish11 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Ahead and Hate the Irish! They'll Prove You Wrong!!
marchmadness

Post by marchmadness »

could your opinion be altered by the fact that your name is irish11?

:lol:
Irish11

Post by Irish11 »

marchmadness wrote:could your opinion be altered by the fact that your name is irish11?

:lol:
not at all :wink:
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Rbkhockey21 wrote:
the water wrote:
STEV16 wrote: I think Morgan is better, at least watching the two games last night

Cretin and Woodbury is a rivalry game. Cretin and Rosemount isn't. That's one reason it was close.
Irish11

Post by Irish11 »

:roll: that means absolutely nothing, its a section game to make it to the finals and then to state.
WarriorMacDaddy39

Post by WarriorMacDaddy39 »

komada77 wrote:
STEV16 wrote:
Season Stats:

Wigen-1159 minutes played, 2.288 GAA, 52 goals against, 4 shutouts
Morgan-1179 minutes played, 3.071 GAA, 71 goals against, 3 shutouts

the numbers don't lie
Komada. Numbers don't matter come section time. It's a whole new start. Just look North had a horrible regular season, but where are they now, the section final. Living in the past will do you no good. Because anything can happen. And, some of you Woodbury fans need to get your facts straight.