2008 State Tournament Attendance

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

This is all very interesting discussion. Personally I think the atmosphere would be better at Ridder however isn't the MSHSL contract with the X through 2013. If it is, I think all this talk about moving is premature.
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

Might make it easier for the teams themselves even. I would assume most get hotels nead the X, and for the 8 teams that lose their first game now have to make other arrangements or travel quite a distance. Great idea of being able to see both venues!

I do recall that when the games were at Ridder it certainly seemed more exciting, the crowds really got in to the games, and it was much more intamet for a lack of a better term.
eastsidehockey

Post by eastsidehockey »

I dont know if this was mentioned on this thread as i just opened it for the first time, so if it was, forgive me.

I find it interesting that GRG had as many if not MORE fans in the championship game than the Metro team with the largest enrollment, EP. a half-hour drive compared to a 3 hour drive. Thats cool to see that type of following. I would be willing to bet that had that game been played at the DECC for example there would have been well over 3000 GRG fans there alone, maybe more.
keepitreal

Post by keepitreal »

OntheEdge wrote:This is all very interesting discussion. Personally I think the atmosphere would be better at Ridder however isn't the MSHSL contract with the X through 2013. If it is, I think all this talk about moving is premature.
That is certainly the case.
Pennagirl

2008 Tournament Attendence

Post by Pennagirl »

Way do either girls or boys have to play at the Xcel Center? If the girls move so should the boys. There's a little federal law (not the MSHSL rule) called Title IX...equal access for female athletes.

Besides, if it is the cost that is the issue...how is moving the girls out going to save money..they have to rent the other facilities too.
boblee

post 10135

Post by boblee »

Pennagirl wrote:Way do either girls or boys have to play at the Xcel Center? If the girls move so should the boys. There's a little federal law (not the MSHSL rule) called Title IX...equal access for female athletes.

Besides, if it is the cost that is the issue...how is moving the girls out going to save money..they have to rent the other facilities too.
Let's be honest. Title IX has been more like guidelines. It hasn't been perfect. For example, the girls only have Friday and Saturday televised while the boys have Wednesday-Saturday televised. Girl's consolation bracket is at Ridder, boys are at Mariucci. Do I need to continue? It isn't 100% even and probably never will be.
rwb1351

Re: 2008 Tournament Attendence

Post by rwb1351 »

Pennagirl wrote:
Rental fees at other facilities are cheaper.

I am sure it costs much more to rent out the empty Excel center than it does to use a packed Ridder arena.
xwildfan

Re: 2008 Tournament Attendence

Post by xwildfan »

[quote="Pennagirl"]Way do either girls or boys have to play at the Xcel Center? If the girls move so should the boys. There's a little federal law (not the MSHSL rule) called Title IX...equal access for female athletes.

Shouldn't there also be equal access to tournament excitement, atmosphere, special event "feel?" I can't believe the Title IX folks think that playing at the X is a benefit to girls hockey. Have they ever attended a game where there is SRO, excitement, etc.? If they think that playing before a nearly empty X is better than a potentially packed Ridder or similar sized arena, then I guess there is absolutely no need to ever discuss this issue again.
Rentley

Post by Rentley »

Unless it was an optical illusion, the stands looked very empty for the boys "A" games yesterday! :oops: Maybe they should consider going to Ridder also........(would that be considered reversed title 9!)
Partagas

Post by Partagas »

We should ask the players. Most girls regular season games are not packed. I askeed a few players from GRG and they love the "X". It the big show, free food, walk pass the Wild's locker room, jumbo screen for replays, guitar hero, participant pass, not a lot of contact with parents. My question is it the expirence for the parents....or the kids playing the wonderful game of hockey?
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Partagas wrote:We should ask the players. Most girls regular season games are not packed. I askeed a few players from GRG and they love the "X". It the big show, free food, walk pass the Wild's locker room, jumbo screen for replays, guitar hero, participant pass, not a lot of contact with parents. My question is it the expirence for the parents....or the kids playing the wonderful game of hockey?
Are you kidding me? Of course, the experience is for the parents! After all these years of chaufeuring these kids around, paying hockey fees, buying the latest, greatest one-piece composite sticks, buying the lightest, high tech, heated-form fitted Vapor XXXXXX skates; negotiating to ensure they are on the "right" AAA teams to maximize their exposure; coaching countless hours from the stands; offering numerous recommendations to the coaches; and in some cases even attending "double secret new coach search committees" with other concerned parents; spending countless hours on this site to keep our finger on the pulse; trying to find loopholes in this nasty anti- transfer rule business. The list is endless.

We parents should be recognized!! Wait a minute; I have changed my mind. We are much more visible at the X, since the concentration of those pesky fans is much less. Never mind. I am officially on the X bandwagon.