FINAL top 5 rankings...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

pondyplayer93 wrote: anyone who watched this game and knows anything about hockey knows the benilde was by far the better team on the ice tonight they just didnt get the bounces and that happens some times. With that said he are my final

1. Hill-Murray
2. Benilde
3. Edina
4. Minnetonka
5. Roseau
Benilde definitely bottled up Edina in the 2nd period and Edina had a tough time breaking out and carried more of the play than Edina in the 2nd, but Edina still had some scoring chances and had more scoring chances than Benilde in the 3rd (Everson could have had 3 goals in the 3rd alone). And OT was carried by Edina, although the PP helped a bit on that.

Benilde is a VERY good hockey team, but to say that they were the better team is pretty subjective with Red Knight glasses on. Edina had more scoring opportunities in the 3rd & OT, and the outcome was quite deserved. Benilde had forwards that could go 1-2 with Edina, but they didn't have the D depth. Student & McCarthy logged a lot of ice time. I don't think it affected Student, but McCarthy seemed a bit tired late in the game.

Hard to judge a 3rd place game because emotion isn't as high, but if Benilde wins, there's ZERO reason that Minnetonka shouldn't be rated higher than Roseau.

1 & 2) Edina or Hill-Murray
3: Benilde
4: Minnetonka
5: Roseau
6: Woodbury or Blaine
7: Burnsville
8: Woodbury or Blaine
Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 »

Lucia4President wrote:
Cabela10 wrote:
K Dope wrote: No JV teams please. STA #1 in the lower class.
Says you, but I don't listen to you. I hate STA, but they would beat Roseau. STA is a deserving #5 overall rank.
How would you feel if Roseau would have won tonight?
Roseau would have moved up behind Edina in the #2 spot and everybody else would have moved down. This game showed a lot of weak links in there game. For one, they can't handle a strong forecheck and they rely on Ness and Landman to much, from what I seen.
Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 »

cjp8816 wrote:
Lucia4President wrote:
Cabela10 wrote: Says you, but I don't listen to you. I hate STA, but they would beat Roseau. STA is a deserving #5 overall rank.
How would you feel if Roseau would have won tonight?
Wow this is truly retarded. STA might not beat DM. and Roseau is still the best team in the state in the minds of ALOT of MN HS Hockey Fans. Roseau Played like S*** and lost to a team that played pretty much perfect. Grats to Hill on the win.

And if STA is too coward to Jump up then lets leave them where they asked to be. >>> JV.... STA would beat Roseau?
Correct me if I'm wrong here. But in all other sports, if a top ranked team loses, the usually drop about 4-5 spots. It happens in NCAA basketball and football for both men and women. That's just how it works. You can't say Roseau lost to a team that wasn't a top 5 team all season, and then say Roseau is still #1 or #2 when they lost to them.
Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 »

[quote="hockeyhockeyhockey"]
Last edited by Cabela10 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 »

pondyplayer93 wrote:
Cabela10 wrote:
MNhockey99 wrote:I think tonights game showed that BSM > EDINA...
Who won the game? Then this also means Roseau is better than Hill Murray. You have no theory to your madness about putting BSM over Edina when Edina beat them head to head at the end of the season.
anyone who watched this game and knows anything about hockey knows the benilde was by far the better team on the ice tonight they just didnt get the bounces and that happens some times. With that said he are my final

1. Hill-Murray
2. Benilde
3. Edina
4. Minnetonka
5. Roseau
Oh, so now I don't know hockey because I don't agree with you. Interesting, thank's for clarifying that. Maybe they should beat the team next time.
Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 »

pondyplayer93 wrote:
Cabela10 wrote:
Who won the game? Then this also means Roseau is better than Hill Murray. You have no theory to your madness about putting BSM over Edina when Edina beat them head to head at the end of the season.
no it doesnt caue benilde out played edina in an ot loss
roseau was outplayed in a 4-1 loss, they were not the better team on the ice last night
The game seemed pretty evenly played to me. It was back and forth the whole entire game. (edina/benilde)
formerallstar

Post by formerallstar »

How bout we wait til after tonight to determine this.

In the end the only thing that matters is what teams hoists the hardware after the last high school game of the year
'07 STATE CONTEST WINNER
'07 COLLEGE TOURNEY WINNER
marchmadness

Post by marchmadness »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
Cabela10 wrote:

are you on drugs. If not for that Great Lee in nets That hill game should have been 8-2 and more if Hill actually did not have to kill off 8-1 man advantages. that was a domination. Were you watching the scoring chances, breakaways, faster skating, hitting, 2 on 1's??

roseau nice run, a couple fantastic players but good lord they were not withing 4 goals of hill if they played 10 times this time of year hill wins 8
i dont think that is true. hill played very very well. would they play that well 8 times out of 10? doubt it. roseau looked lost, slow, and tired. would they played so bad 8 out of 10 times? no.

i think roseau's top line was on the ice too much. they looked dead by the third period. especially with all the power plays, they had tons of ice time. not scoring on the pp turned the momentum to hm and tired out their playmakers.
rbk2090

top 5

Post by rbk2090 »

pondyplayer93 wrote:
Cabela10 wrote:
anyone who watched this game and knows anything about hockey knows the benilde was by far the better team on the ice tonight they just didnt get the bounces and that happens some times. With that said he are my final

1. Hill-Murray
2. Benilde
3. Edina
4. Minnetonka
5. Roseau
I know a lot about hockey and you are wrong. The best teams win games. Otherwise, give the 1980 Russians the GOLD MEDAL!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Save your rankings. Ranking Tonka in the top whatever is meaningless. Having played on a team that finished seventh in the final AP poll but didn't go to state I know it does nothing for you. Final rankings should reflect the trophy presentations and that's it. The what ifs are why they play the games.

If Hill beats Edina and Roseau beats BSM I will not be on here saying Roseau is the second best. Anyone putting BSM ahead of Edina is just an Edina hater, it cannot be rationalized.
rbk2090

top 5 teams

Post by rbk2090 »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Save your rankings. Ranking Tonka in the top whatever is meaningless. Having played on a team that finished seventh in the final AP poll but didn't go to state I know it does nothing for you. Final rankings should reflect the trophy presentations and that's it. The what ifs are why they play the games.

If Hill beats Edina and Roseau beats BSM I will not be on here saying Roseau is the second best. Anyone putting BSM ahead of Edina is just an Edina hater, it cannot be rationalized.
AGREED!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Lucia4President

Post by Lucia4President »

I don't understand why everyone thinks Roseau is very overrated now. Yeah, they didn't play outstanding last night. However, they were 28-0 coming into the tournament, had won something like 45 games in a row, including the State Championship last season, and beat Blaine 8-2 on Thursday night. Roseau also out-shot Hill last night 36-32, and the game would have been a bit closer if Phillippi didn't play an outstanding game. Roseau plays that top line a ton, and I'm sure it wore them out. Aaron Ness could hardly take 3 strides without being dead it looked like after the half way point of the 3rd.

Roseau is a great team, and they had a great run. 3rd or 4th at state the year after winning it all makes them a great team.

Congratulations to Roseau on the great run, congratulations to Hill and Edina for making the championship, and congratulations to the rest of the teams in this tournament.
komada77

Post by komada77 »

Stop saying BSM is better than Edina!!! I hate Edina with all of my heart, but I also realize the great teams win tough games in big situations. Edina did, Benilde didn't. Edina is better.
Everyone hates private schools (and Edina)!!
O-townClown

great point

Post by O-townClown »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Save your rankings. Ranking Tonka in the top whatever is meaningless. Having played on a team that finished seventh in the final AP poll but didn't go to state I know it does nothing for you.
Great point, sorry you didn't get the trip that year. That's what makes this all so great. If it didn't hurt when you missed the goal, it wouldn't mean as much for those who reach.

I suspected the strongest teams this year were Edina, Roseau, and Minnetonka (in no particular order). A rung below for AA teams were Hill and Benilde. Turns out maybe there wasn't a dropoff. Toss in Burnsville as another team that didn't reach when they ran into someone that did and those are probably the six strongest.

Drop a notch and you have teams like Blaine, Centennial, Woodbury, etc. They just weren't consistently as strong as the top six.

So let's go by trophies like you say.

1/2. Hill-Murray and Edina
3. Benilde (looks like they'll win here)
4-5-6 (tied for no hardware). Roseau, Tonka, Burnsville

St. Thomas is probably as good as some of these teams too. Beyond those six or seven it really doesn't matter.

PS2 will be very close to what most people feel.
Be kind. Rewind.
Hockeyguy_27

Re: great point

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

O-townClown wrote:
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Save your rankings. Ranking Tonka in the top whatever is meaningless. Having played on a team that finished seventh in the final AP poll but didn't go to state I know it does nothing for you.
Great point, sorry you didn't get the trip that year. That's what makes this all so great. If it didn't hurt when you missed the goal, it wouldn't mean as much for those who reach.

I suspected the strongest teams this year were Edina, Roseau, and Minnetonka (in no particular order). A rung below for AA teams were Hill and Benilde. Turns out maybe there wasn't a dropoff. Toss in Burnsville as another team that didn't reach when they ran into someone that did and those are probably the six strongest.

Drop a notch and you have teams like Blaine, Centennial, Woodbury, etc. They just weren't consistently as strong as the top six.

So let's go by trophies like you say.

1/2. Hill-Murray and Edina
3. Benilde (looks like they'll win here)
4-5-6 (tied for no hardware). Roseau, Tonka, Burnsville

St. Thomas is probably as good as some of these teams too. Beyond those six or seven it really doesn't matter.

The only way we could truly figure this out would be to have a 5 game series but since this is never going to happen, rankings should be taken with a grain of salt.

O-Town, did you get out of the dinner meeting? I'm headed to my buddies house shortly.
Neutron 14

Re: great point

Post by Neutron 14 »

O-townClown wrote:
PS2 wont change till next December. HAL is in his 9 month hibernation.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
O-townClown

replies

Post by O-townClown »

Neut, thanks. I thought there was a final.

27. No. Actually presented in front of our CEO, a board member, and some senior-level execs today so I have to be on my toes all weekend. Too bad, because I'd love to watch!!!
Be kind. Rewind.
slapstkhound

Post by slapstkhound »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Save your rankings. Ranking Tonka in the top whatever is meaningless. Having played on a team that finished seventh in the final AP poll but didn't go to state I know it does nothing for you. Final rankings should reflect the trophy presentations and that's it. The what ifs are why they play the games.

Finally....someone is completely rational here. The teams that make it to State, whether we like itor not, are the top teams in Minnesota. That said, the top 5 AA teams will be:

1.Edina (as much as it pains me to say it)
2.Hill Murray
3.BSM
4.Roseau
5.Woodbury

The final 3 are determined already and the top 2 will be tonight. Tonka, B'ville, Rosemount, EP are all good teams BUT they didn't play well enough to get through this year. Maybe next year.......
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Thanks for recognizing my earlier post. Rankings are just that, rankings. 20 years from now the only thing people remember is the hardware. The rankings are something to talk about until the tourney starts and then who cares? I think that is why the mad scientist shuts HAL down?

How about we take a couple weeks off until we start the preseason rankings for next year?
MNhockey99

Post by MNhockey99 »

After today's performance I might have to drop Roseau down below Burnsville... to ~6th... very unimpressed with the "Ness Show" all weekend.

I still think:

1. Hill
2. Benilde
3. Edina
4. Tonka
5/6. Burnsville
6/5. Roseau
pondyplayer93

Post by pondyplayer93 »

1. Hill-Murray
2. Benilde
3. Edina
4. Tonka
5. Roseau
Hill-Murray
St. Thomas
2008 Champs
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Back to back idiots who missed Edina beating BSM on Friday.
MNhockey99

Post by MNhockey99 »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:Back to back Cake eaters who are still living the dream instead of watching a game with an unbiased eye
:o
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

1) Hill Murray
2) Roseau - I put very little stock on consolation games
3) Edina - toss up between them and Roseau however if that disallowed goal went the other way....who knows.
4) Minnetonka - 1 game doesn't make a season, tougher schedule than BSM
5) STA - someday their alum will have to compete with the best, might as well coddle them now.
MNhockey99

Post by MNhockey99 »

goldy313 wrote:2) Roseau - I put very little stock on consolation games
How about Semifinals or 3rd place games??