Movies

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Movies

Post by boblee »

What movies has everyone been taking in lately? And what did you think of them?
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

This isn't out yet, but it should be interesting...

http://www.theloveguru.com/

Plot:

In the comedy "The Love Guru," Pitka (Mike Myers in his first original character since Austin Powers) is an American who was left at the gates of an ashram in India as a child and raised by gurus. He moves back to the U.S. to seek fame and fortune in the world of self-help and spirituality. His unorthodox methods are put to the test when he must settle a rift between Toronto Maple Leafs star hockey player Darren Roanoke (Romany Malco) and his estranged wife. After the split, Roanoke's wife starts dating L.A. Kings star Jacques Grande (Justin Timberlake) out of revenge, sending her husband into a major professional skid - to the horror of the teams' owner Jane Bullard (Jessica Alba) and Coach Cherkov (Verne Troyer). Pitka must return the couple to marital nirvana and get Roanoke back on his game so the team can break the 40-year-old "Bullard Curse" and win the Stanley Cup.
hockeywatcher4

Post by hockeywatcher4 »

Vantage point was a solid flick!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Well, being married has affected my "choices" in movies somewhat. Sometimes compromise is necessary.

With that said, we've recently seen (in the past few months)

P.S. I Love You (really liked it)
Fool's Gold (cute)
The Bucket List (outstanding)
Fred Claus (ehhh.....no)

Anyone seen Cloverfield yet?

I see Dan In Real Life is out on DVD now. Gotta get it. Probably my favorite movie of 2007.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

I just got done watching No Country For Old Men. I must be an idiot, because I didn't get it. There were about 3 words in the entire movie.

I also recently saw Death Proof on Starz - it was half of "Grindhouse"... THAT is a great movie. There's never been a bad Tarantino movie. Kurt Russel is a great sleazeball.
sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 »

Govs93 wrote:I just got done watching No Country For Old Men. I must be an idiot, because I didn't get it. There were about 3 words in the entire movie.

I also recently saw Death Proof on Starz - it was half of "Grindhouse"... THAT is a great movie. There's never been a bad Tarantino movie. Kurt Russel is a great sleazeball.
I've seen all the Grindhouse movies on Starz on Demand and they were all awesome. They are a must see for the Tarantino fan base :!:
Mr. McTabish

Post by Mr. McTabish »

Yesterday I made some popcorn, got a Coke, and watched Teen Wolf. Great movie. Two thumbs up.

P.S. Lee don't lie it was YOUR idea to see P.S. I love you, I know it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

American Gangster (7)
Hitman (7)
The Assassination of Jesse James (8)
300 (7)
Good Luck Chuck (6)
Beta House (2)

Those are the last six "new" movies I have seen.

I know, it took me a long time to see 300.
"I am Jack's smirking revenge." - Fight Club
Mr. McTabish

Post by Mr. McTabish »

Friday the neighbor girl brought me out to that new high school version of Fight Club movie. Boy did that suck. If I knew what she was bringing me to I would have put my foot down and demanded to see something else, but I wasn't aware of the title of the movie. I saw a preview for it and assured myself I'd never see it. About 15, 20 minutes into it I realized what it was, and said to myself "Oh great..."

I thought it interesting they found a young Brad Pitt clone though, who does a poor job playing the part of Tyler Durden in the movie, other than looking exactly like him.

The whole time I'm just dumbfounded at what people are entertained by, and I wanna ask the people on screen and the people in the theatre...simply "What are you doing?" I mean honestly. But I guess dealing with situations such as this come with the territory of dating the high school neighbor girl.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

Mr. McTabish wrote:But I guess dealing with situations such as this come with the territory of dating the high school neighbor girl.
Ahh yes, the neighbor girl situation. I've had a few of these in my day, Mr. Mac. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice, as Lee points out above. I recently saw the movie you speak of and I agree with your assessment. The only thing people were entertained by(including myself) was the people or persons they were with.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

There Will Be Blood = terrible
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

Semi-Pro was OK made me laugh but I think Will Farrell is funny

10000 BC was tough to watch...we seriously thought of leaving 5 minutes in and going to Vantage Point, but toughed it out to the end
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Well looky here... we have a new Tinsel Town. Hey Lee... 5 bucks if you can get my number to Renee.

I may have to go see this movie if only to hear the line:

"You think you're the slickest operator in Duluth. But being the slickest operator in Duluth is like being the world's tallest midget, if you ask me."
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

Live Free or Die Hard was awesome!
PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT!!
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

Sean Penn's "Into the Wild" - good film. Krakuer's book of the same name, same subject was much better, however.

AY 8)
boblee

post 10245

Post by boblee »

I am currently halfway thru with watching "City of God." It is a very intense foreign film. I am actually enjoying it.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

The Legend
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

PASTRAPIDSFAN wrote:The Legend
I Am Legend?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

MLB.com is doing something that's kind of interesting (I guess)...

They've put together a "March Madness" style bracket with 64 baseball movies in an effort to pick the best one of all time. Sad to say, I think I've seen just about every one of them except those in the "Old School" bracket, and I've only seen a couple of those.

In my "Final Four", I've got Major League over 61* (61* was my "Cinderella" pick to get to the Final Four :wink: ), and Field of Dreams over Pride of the Yankees.

In the Finals, I took Field of Dreams over Major League.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Govs93 wrote:
I Am Legend?
In your own mind! :lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:
I Am Legend?
And all the ladies.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote: I Am Legend?
And all the ladies.
Need I cue "Sparkles" again?? :lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote: In your own mind! :lol:
And all the ladies.
Need I cue "Sparkles" again?? :lol:
I may run into her when I walk past the St. Cloud section tonight.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

"A Good Year" with Russel Crowe is very good. That was out last fall. Haven't been to the theatre much since then. Only for Bourne Ultimatum which is my favorite movie all time.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
cajones18

Post by cajones18 »

Rudy
Invinceable
PRIVATE SCHOOLS RECRUIT!!