All Conference

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

All Conference

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Several of the Metro All-Conference teams are listed in the StarTribune:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/17344499.html
iceit

Post by iceit »

Will someone who actually knows how the All Conference selections are made, please post. I have heard several different things and am wondering really how it all works.
rwb1351

Post by rwb1351 »

iceit wrote:Will someone who actually knows how the All Conference selections are made, please post. I have heard several different things and am wondering really how it all works.
it might be difficult to get a straight answer on this... i believe all conferences may be slightly different.
justavoicetohear

Post by justavoicetohear »

what i know of is that the coaches of that confernece vote on all conference and honorable mention
hocktang

Re: All Conference

Post by hocktang »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Several of the Metro All-Conference teams are listed in the StarTribune:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/17344499.html
The website isnt accurate because they dont have all of the conferences on there.
MNHockeyFan

Re: All Conference

Post by MNHockeyFan »

hocktang wrote:The website isnt accurate because they dont have all of the conferences on there.
They had posted a message in the scoreboard section of the regular print paper late last week, saying that people who knew of any Metro All Conference teams for the various winter sports should send them in. If you know of any additions involving other conferences for girls hockey, I'm sure they would add them to the online listing.
DeepCut

Suburnban East Conference

Post by DeepCut »

I know that that the Suburban East Conference has the best girls hockey players in the state, but can someone tell me why Kelly Wild of CDH doesn't make All-Conference in her senior year???
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

The CDH coaches did not nominate her for AC. If you know any CDH players or parents, they will gladly enlighten you regarding the reason. Let's just say it wasn't very classy on the coaches part.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Let me guess…. would this be another example of why parent coaching should be discouraged?
State Champ 97

Re: Suburnban East Conference

Post by State Champ 97 »

DeepCut wrote:I know that that the Suburban East Conference has the best girls hockey players in the state, but can someone tell me why Kelly Wild of CDH doesn't make All-Conference in her senior year???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

xwildfan wrote:The CDH coaches did not nominate her for AC. If you know any CDH players or parents, they will gladly enlighten you regarding the reason. Let's just say it wasn't very classy on the coaches part.
Hold it Kelly Wild a girl who led the US in the U18 games against Canada last August and again in January plus was invited to the top US winter camp with members of the National Team and is still on the National Team track was not nominated to be all conference versus the HS coaches daughter who was not part of any of this as a top US player? Many of these schools have more than 2 players - why not Wild, Keys and Carlson all headed to play D1 Carlson and Wild at the Ohio State University and Keys to Bemidji State? That seems wrong by the two co-coaches, the athlectic director and CDH? You would love to know all the details?

SUBURBAN EAST

• Cretin-Derham Hall: Brittany Carlson, Kaylee Keys.

• Forest Lake: Kim Fredrick, Torri Shelafoe.

• Hastings: Devon Alwin, Nicole Chorney, Danielle Welch.

• Mounds View: Lindsey Hjelm, Erin Marvin.

• Park: Jac Daggit.

• Roseville: Erin Babineau, Bethany Brausen, Anna Carlson, Katie Flanagan, Charlotte Hoium.

• Stillwater: Callie Dahl, Laren Schlichting, Allison Schwab.

• White Bear Lake: Elsa Bruestle, Erin Green, Madeline Lanz.

• Woodbury: Emily Klatt.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

Wo wo wo. I think you guys should be absolutely sure about the facts before you start ripping someone. That's an unwritten 'guideline' of this forum, isn't it?

I'll say up front that I don't have a dog in this fight--no connection whatever to CDH or the coaches or players. Obviously that's not true for at least one of you. I saw them play 5 or 6 times, when they were bad (or struggling) and when they were good (through their Section playoff run).

The coach's daughter happened to lead CDH in scoring this year--in goals, assists, and points. Are you saying she wasn't deserving of all-conference? There could also be other reasons Wild wasn't nominated. She did miss a month of games when she was playing for the U18 team. Obviously there are no hard feelings about playing for Team USA, but should you count those games as part of an all-conference performance?

Some conferences have a limit on the number of players each team can place on the all-conference team according to their place in the standings. Maybe that's why Roseville got 5, Stillwater and Hastings 3, and so on down to Woodbury with 1. CDH finished 5th, and maybe was limited to 2. The #2 and #3 leading scorers on the team didn't make all-conference either. Wild was 4th in scoring, and she was the 2nd or 3rd best 'defensive' defenseman on the team. She's definitely an 'offensive' player (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So if it was up to me, I might easily nominate the leading scorer (by 11 points over the 2nd best) and the best 'defenseman', in this case Carlson (2nd behind Keys in assists by the way), to be all-conference. As far as I know, neither missed a game for CDH all season.

I'm also a little surprised by some of the names joining in on this coach-bashing. I thought you were a little more fair-minded.
Thunderbird77

Post by Thunderbird77 »

Perhaps what the coaches were thinking is to spread out the honors a little. With all due respect to Kelly Wild, her hockey future is set, whether or not she is All-Conference.

Perhaps we should be praising the coaches. Sometimes these things always go to the same people, making it hard for other deserving players to get recognition. Whether or not 'elly Wild is all-conference, she is an outstanding player.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Bensonmum wrote:Wo wo wo. I think you guys should be absolutely sure about the facts before you start ripping someone. That's an unwritten 'guideline' of this forum, isn't it?.....................
......................I'm also a little surprised by some of the names joining in on this coach-bashing. I thought you were a little more fair-minded.
Good comments like you I was trying to raise questions because I didn't understand - you offered some good possible answers - I think dialog can help answer a very odd situation like this....thanks for your comments/breakdown.
rinkrat90

Post by rinkrat90 »

Somewhat interesting statements in this thread. One mentions that Wild is probably the third best defender on the team. Seems like she never came off the ice in the sections or the state games. You would think when the game is in the balance that the coaches would have the two best defenders on the ice. Another thread mentions that honors should be spread around; I thought this idea ended in mites or squirts when everyone got trophies. However, if CDH was only limited to two players, the coach would have had a hard time on the homefront if he didn't nominate the players he did.
talkhockey

Post by talkhockey »

Anyone who watched this team throughout the year knows who should have been all conference. CDH was a much different team when Wild was in the line up (just ask Jondal). All conf, all state should be just that. An honor bestowed upon those that had the greatest impact. Like the rat stated, actions speak the loudest. Wild never seemed to leave the ice.
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

Central Lakes All-Conference

ALEXANDRIA – Abby Williams, Ashley Holmes, Danielle Justice, Kathryn DelZoppo.

ST. CLOUD TECH – Katelyn Dodd, Kendra Fischer, Nikki Kaasa.

BRAINERD – Jessica Bye, Elle Adams, Kristen Helmberger.

ST. CLOUD APOLLO ICEBREAKERS – Anne Schleper, Greta Gray, Lindsey Johnson.

ROCORI/RIVER LAKES – Jenn Paul, Abbie Rhoda.

SARTELL/SAUK RAPIDS-RICE – Kayla Hendrickson, Nikki Kothenbeutel.

FERGUS FALLS – Erika Magnusson.

WILLMAR – Chelsey Wierschem.

LITTLE FALLS – C.J. Arndt.

HONORABLE MENTION

ALEXANDRIA – Nikki Ecklund, Michelle Anez, Beth Rindy, Ally Nielsen.

ST. CLOUD TECH – Shae Ebert, Mickey Moran, Jessica Dhein, Kelsey Platzer.

BRAINERD – Emily Wyman, Whitney Joyce, Ashlynn Windjue, Nichole Godbout.

SCA ICEBREAKERS – Emily Kerber, Andrea Dean.

ROCORI-RIVER LAKES – Greta Omann, Emma Schott, Courtney Schirmers.

SARTELL/SAUK RAPIDS-RICE – Jenna Kamholz, Kayla Trobec, Kristen Bell, Carley Johnson.

FERGUS FALLS – Christina Masten, Taylor Vatnsdal, Jeni Grangel, Hannah Anderson.

WILLMAR – Ashley Hutton, Ali Sing, Erin Sheehan, Jennfer Mattison.

LITTLE FALLS – Nhi Dinh, Shelby Atkinson, Amber Arndt, Kayla Bollig.