CDH@HASTINGS

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

RAIDER BLUES

CDH@HASTINGS

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

I was at the game tonight and must admit i had to leave early. I couldn't watch it anymore. I've been a Hastings fan for a long time, and this may be the worst defensive hockey team Hastings has ever had. Very weak. All of them. Usually you get 1 or 2 that at least make up for the rest. I don't remember too many years where we've given up 5-6-8-9 goals a game.
Dumb penalties, missed opportunities. No talent/no coaching. We got it all down here. Anyone else at the game?
ROOK EYE

Post by ROOK EYE »

I've heard the D is real bad this year. Also heard the goalie was having an off year. I saw them earlier in the year and would agree the D is as bad as i've seen, but i thought the goalie looked very solid. What was the score tonite?
blanco oso

Post by blanco oso »

the raiders won
and lost
haha
Land Of The Free, Home Of The BEARS
pondhockey18

Post by pondhockey18 »

8-3 I believe.
kingklick087

Post by kingklick087 »

I was at the game, and I think the team has one solid D, although very small Tom Kuhn is very good.

And I wouldnt say Gleinser is having an of year, in fact I would say he is having exceptional year. He just has no support around him.
midwesthockeyscout

Post by midwesthockeyscout »

Although I am not at liberty to comment on Gleisner's individual play, all I can attest to is that in shot charting, making notes while I fact-feed the organizations who DO the evaluation of goal tenders, what I can say is that measuring strictly GAA and save % is so damn misleading.

My role in fact finding/shot charting is calculating SCORING CHANCES, shot locations, how the save ws made (glove, pad, chest, etc) type of shot scored on, how the goal was scored (2 on 1, deflected, power play, made first two saves??) whatever... we watch body language, etc...

The people who make decisions factor in so much, and, I have been involved in games in which I have seen 40 shots on goal, and 7 goals allowed. You would look at that and say.. OUCH!!! That's only an 83% save percentage. That sucks..

However, this particular game there was 22 scoring chances. 22!!!! A scoring chance is defined by quality of shot, location of shot (which, primarly is a triangle from the face off dots to the goal posts, which means the goalie is getting peppered 10 feet away and in!! Despite giving up 7 goals, he stopped 15 more that could have been goals!!! There were 2 breakaway goals, 3 power play goals in which he made the first save each time, a tipped shot off his D's stick, and then a soft goal... On paper, that looks like he sucks, but in reality, it could have been a lot worse.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

I would agree it's not Gliesner's fault. He without question, if there is such a thing on this team, is the MVP. As far a Kuhn. Just one man's opinion, but i think he played better last year. He's an above average skater and that's about it. There giving up far too many goals and chances to say that he's very soild? He's Small and hasn't scored much at all. Can't handle the bigger stronger forwards. You probably meant he's the best Hastings has? i would consider him- state wide fom the D iv'e seen ..average at best.
Don Cherry

Post by Don Cherry »

The only chance Hastings had in this game was in the first period, CDH came out really flat and for the most part Hastings out played them. Hastings did have the chances to get out of the first period with a 2-3 goal lead, but some solid goaltending by CDH prevented that from happening.

.....And then the barnstorming started in the second. Hastings defense standing still not knowing who to cover, forwards not holding up there guys on CDH dump-ins to allow there defense to get to the puck first, dumb penalties in the offensive zone (one while they were on a 5-3).

another typical outing for Gleisner, trying to keep his team in the game while facing numerous scoring chances. The kid does a hell of job squaring up to the first shot, but with no defense you can only do that for so long. Keep your head up kid!

I know I'm in the minority here and will get a few people riled up, but this team lacks talent, not coaching.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

I would agree for sure the blue/gold raiders lack talent, but it seems like almost every year that Welch has been here, except for a little spurt in the 90's We win or tie a few early in the season that we shouldn't, then we progressivley get worse? Why? That to me says the coaching is lacking, big time. Iv'e lived here all my life and i have watched alot of these kids come up through the youth. The youth teams, although they haven't won too many state titles they have not been that bad. Why is it when they get to varsity they never seem to improve. kuhn is just another example. I watched tommy in youth hockey and thought he was a decent player, but i haven't seen much improvement since? In my opinion. Gliesner and Nelly are the ONLY real bright spots.
kingklick087

Post by kingklick087 »

I agree that Austin Nelson is a real "brightspot" but i dont believe the team is lacking talent.

Besides the 2 CDH games and the WBL game who have the got blown out by?

They have battled through every game.

I think if they had a few lucky bounces here and there or a few calls go there way that could have a much better record.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

My fear is i think we got W.B- Woodbury-Duluth East- all coming up. By all accounts those 3 could all be running time. Yes at times they have battled, but so few and far between. And let's be honest here if it weren't for Jonnie Gliesner this team could easily be sitting with 1 or 2 wins . No one seems to want to admit this. He's kept them in both Stillwater games too. I think the first Woodbury meeting we were out shot like 50-10 or something like that? Every team in the state can say well if we would have got a bounce here or a bounce there things could be different. That's just poppycock.. If you say the team isn't lacking talent than they must be lacking coaching. Right? It's either one or the other. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Nelson-Wagner and some of the better younger players. As i said earlier i myself haven't seen much improvement in some of the other upper classman since they came up to varsity.
As an avid Hastings Raider hockey fan i've seen alot of Raider hockey games over the year's but i for one do think it's time for a change behind the bench. It can't be the kids fault every year. Can it?
kingklick087

Post by kingklick087 »

I 100% agree that Jon Gleisner has kept them in every close game and every game they have won.
holymoly

Post by holymoly »

I have watched Kuhn play in the summer and this fall and he could play for any team in the state. He may be small but knows how to handle the bigger players and himself. Did anyone hear why he missed the start of the season. I heard he only started playing after x-mas.
BigD93

Post by BigD93 »

Kuhn had Mono.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

You watched him in the summer? Hmmm.. Since when did the summer matter? How many points did he have this fall? I think he fell short of expectations. You might want to check. We've given up more goals than most of the other teams in the conference and we have maybe a top 5 goalie in the state. If not for Johnny Glies we could easily be winless.
Tommy logs alot of ice and is as responsible for the amount of goals ALLOWED as anyone. He also hasn't been scoring or assiting. If you aren't shutting down the opponent and your not making plays what else is there?
Don't get me wrong he's a good kid, but i for 1 think he played better last year and have not seen the improvement i was expecting. To this point i would say he's an average high shool defenseman. Just my opinion.
holymoly

Post by holymoly »

Thanks for the update on Kuhn. Raider blues I see that Hastings lost 2-0 to Woodbury with open net must have been good game not the running time you were looking for. From what I hear change of coach will not matter need dedication from players. 3 or 4 players do not make a team. I played with Kuhn all summer and if they do not want him down in Hastings let us know and we in WHA will gladly take him.
RAIDER BLUES

Post by RAIDER BLUES »

I never said we didn't want him. I call it as i see it. You don't have to agree. I'm not real concerned about what he did last summer. I watched him as a pee wee-He did some good things-That doesn't make him a great player today. I simply said. In my opinion he played better last year and he hasn't improved as i would have thought. The stats are showing this to be fact. That's all.
ALSECORD

Post by ALSECORD »

Don't start signing the improvement Blues to me man. I warned you boy's along time ago what your up against down there. It's too bad.. That's all i got to say about that.