Bantam B rankings?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Do you agree?

Yes
21%
No
21%
Kinda...
36%
No Way! Totally Wrong
21%

Total votes: 28

gohawk4

Post by gohawk4 »

There should be a couple good regional tournaments this year. Here are the ranked teams that could be in each region.

East- 2 from: 5,6,7,10,11,12 (interesting D6 tourney), 3 from: 13,19, and an unranked, 3 from: 4,16,17,18,20 (another interesting district tourney).

West- 2 from: 1,8,9 (one top ten team misses regions for sure); 3 from: 3,15,unranked; 3 from: 14, 2 unranked.

North- #2 team is only ranked, but city teams normally rank better in LPH.

South- No ranked teams.

The other interesting piece is West plays East and North plays South in the first game of State.

I have argued before that some district 6 teams get the benefit by being associated with that district, but I would hate to have to win D6, then win the East and then go to state and play the West to start off. If a team is able to win state from D6, they will have truly earned that title. I am definitely NOT saying if another team wins state they didn't earn it, but that would be tough to be in D6.
packerpuck19

Post by packerpuck19 »

Hawk, I agree completely. The East Regional is going to be one heck of a tournment.

I know we have discussed this before on an earlier thread, but I still dont know why River Heights doesnt get any credit in District 8. I know that this is the team that I have most interest in, but again they were left out of your list. They are currently 2nd in District 8, and are on a 9 game winning streak with a 6-2 win over #16 Lakeville South, and a win last night over #18 Eagan Green 2-1. After all, I guess its best to come in under the radar.
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

packerpuck19 wrote:D8 Scores from last week.

River Heights-6
Lakeville South-2
River Heights is making a late season run

Lakeville South-3
Woodbury Blue-2

Eagan Green-6
Woodbury Blue-2
Eagan Green Playing well/ will play River Heights 2/4 in a big game.
Woodbury Blue seems to be slumping.

Rochester lost to Winona for the 2nd time last week, but then rebounded nicely with two wins over Lacrescent and Lakeville North, they are in the hunt.

Winona Had a big win over Rochester for a nice recovery after there 2nd loss all year at the hands of River Heights.

Woodbury White Should win out there remaining league schedule.

The standings look something like this:

1. Eagan Blue- Havent lost yet, they will run away with the season title

2. A complete logjam, with tons of situations that could happen
-Rochester
-River Heights
-Lakeville South
-Winona
-Woodbury White
-Eagan Green
-Woodbury Blue

Any one of them could finish 2nd or 8th
its a complete toss up for the final standings of all these teams. i've tried running through situations to see where everyone ends up. it impossible as some of the better teams are losing to some of the weaker teams. i like that you didn't include lacrescent in there even though they are in the top 4 right now. everyone has seen them as a threat since they are higher in points because of more games played.

i really look forward to seeing the final result of this. and since the top 4 teams get that first round bye everyone is dying for those top 4 spots.
gohawk4

Post by gohawk4 »

packerpuck19 wrote:Hawk, I agree completely. The East Regional is going to be one heck of a tournment.

I know we have discussed this before on an earlier thread, but I still dont know why River Heights doesnt get any credit in District 8. I know that this is the team that I have most interest in, but again they were left out of your list. They are currently 2nd in District 8, and are on a 9 game winning streak with a 6-2 win over #16 Lakeville South, and a win last night over #18 Eagan Green 2-1. After all, I guess its best to come in under the radar.
I don't know if the second part was for me not including River Heights in my analysis of the regions. I was going strictly off LPH rankings and had nothing to do with where I would place these teams. I have nothing to do with LPH rankings and I can honestly say I have not seen river heights play. As far as districts go, I would still say 6 and 3 are harder to get into regions then any other district. Especially since they only get 2 teams in.
packerpuck19

Post by packerpuck19 »

Just out of curiosity how do other districts run there respective tournments? I am only familiar with District 8's method of having the top 4 with byes and 5-12 playing off for the remaining spots. Is this common around the area or not at all?
Reg7

River Heights

Post by Reg7 »

packerpuck19 wrote:Hawk, I agree completely. The East Regional is going to be one heck of a tournment.

River Heights is having a nice run and I believe will get through district playoffs if goaltending holds up...they don't score in bunches and only have one goalie so time will tell if the kid can come to play night in and night out...thus far he has...good luck to all!

Not a parent...just a fan!
noConsistancy

Post by noConsistancy »

anyone know winner of
eden prairie .vs. edina white ?
played on 2/10 at ep ?
BigPuck03

Post by BigPuck03 »

Tie
EP 3
Edina White 3
Who else?

LPH rankings...

Post by Who else? »

Are these rankings intended to be comical? I understand anyone below #1 is interchangable, but sheeeesh!
Who else?

LPH tabloid...

Post by Who else? »

1 WAYZATA BLUE - deserving
2 Duluth East - I would say deserving, but top to bottom not as strong (for 3 periods) as surrounding teams.
3 Sauk Rapids - very solid team.
4 Eagan Blue - 34-7-4 (only 2 wins vs. a top 10 team at the time) Still a top 10, solid team.
5 Wayzata Gold - 30-4-5 Proven they can skate with big blue.
6 Edina Green - 33-5-4 Can bite you, but not your historic Edina team.
7 Burnsville - 29-8-3
8 Minnetonka - 21-11-5 moved up from #11 with loss to big blue and a tie vs. AV???
9 Apple Valley - 22-10-6 Up from #12 with nothing to report???
10 Osseo/Maple Grove - 31-6-3 Down from #8 by only winning???
11 Edina White - 18-11-6
12 Eden Prairie - 6-5-2 in D6 play. Down from #10
13 Stillwater - Haven't seen them this year.
14 Eagan Green 22-13-3. Moved up rom 18 by doing what?
15 Woodbury Blue - moved up from 17 why?
16 Lakeville South - 24-13-2 (3 straight losses, same ranking)
17 Moorhead - Deservingly down from 14.
18 Elk River - 31-6-1 Lots of potential if they faced beter competition. Down from 15 due to no games played???
19 Centennial Red - Haven't seen them.
20 River Heights - Is this the 19-15-1 team? Moved onto the big board by splitting with Tartan?
gohawk4

Post by gohawk4 »

Usually LPH is a week behind. This is why you see recent wins/ties/losses not effecting the rankings. Possibly the answers can be found two weeks ago. The other thing is many people's opinions are thrown into these rankings. That doesn't mean they are right it just means if you yell hard enough for a team to get in, they probably will find the end of the list even if they don't deserve it. River Heights has had a lot of backing recently. Deserving or not, that is for others to answer as I have not seen them play. I have heard a lot of good things about them and would like to see them, but I probably will not as I will not be watching D6 playoffs or their regions. If they make it to state, I will have the priviledge to watch them, but by then the rankings will no longer matter.

Remember to take the rankings with a grain of salt. The only one that matters is when it has final stamped across it.
packerpuck19

Post by packerpuck19 »

20 River Heights - Is this the 19-15-1 team? Moved onto the big board by splitting with Tartan?

You looked at the wrong website. That is the River Heights team and results from the 07-08 team. If you look closely it has dates of when the games were played.

The River Heights team from this year is on the Inver Grove Heights Hockey website.
Who else?

Post by Who else? »

Thanks for the info Pack...

So, taking out the week delay in LPH, any thoughts on this line-up?

1 WAYZATA BLUE - 42-1-2 deserving in all aspects.
2 Sauk Rapids - 45-2-0, only team to beat big Blue. Plays sound.
3 Duluth East - Given credit for W-L-T, but not necessarily for depth or complete games.
4 Wayzata Gold - 32-4-5 Never lost to big Blue. Undefeated, #2 in D3.
5 Edina Green - 33-5-5 Can bite you, but not your historic Edina team.
6 Osseo/Maple Grove - 32-6-3 Just tied big Blue. Only losses to #1-5 including Duluth East (split).
7 Eagan Blue - 36-7-4 record gets them here (only 2 wins vs. a top 10 team at the time). Never beat Edina G, or OMG... but very solid.
8 Burnsville - 30-8-4 Never seen them, but losses keep popping up and wins are tighter (lately).
9 Minnetonka - 23-11-5 Same as B'ville... competition seems to be evolving at a higher curve.
10 Elk River - 31-8-2 Lots of potential if they faced better competition to validate.
11 Edina White - 20-11-6
12 Apple Valley - 23-11-8 Teams are solving the two players more quickly.
13 Eden Prairie - 6-5-2 in D6 play. Deeper roster than AV, but can't solve them.
14 Stillwater - Honestly haven't seen them this year, but see some victories over mid level teams.
15 River Heights - 21-11-3... rising, #2 in D8.
16 Eagan Green - 22-15-3... fading.
17/18 Woodbury White / Blue - White #3 in D8 (over Woodbury Blue). Head to head may decide which Woody goes here.
19 Moorhead - Not knowing overall record, just based on what I've seen.
20 Wayzata Navy - 25-15-5. A spoiler that has some interesting splits, wins, ties, and competitive losses.
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

Looks like a good list.

Consideration for the top 20 should also be given to White Bear Black. After a slow start tot he season, they just won the district 2 regular season (10-4-2) and have won 7 in a row and 9 of their last 12. Looks like a possible late season run. They were ranked 18 two weeks ago and now have fallen of the list. Not sure why...
dlhhockey

Post by dlhhockey »

Not sure what you mean by "depth" or "complete games". DE is a solid team that has beaten some good teams and has more than a handful of kids scoring the goals. Not sure that one win over "big blue" along with not playing some of the better teams moves SR up to #2, though they look like a much better team than last year. We were hoping to scrimmage them, but schedules didn't work out. Hope to play them at the big show. It all doesn't matter until the end of March.

[quote="Who else?"]
3 Duluth East - Given credit for W-L-T, but not necessarily for depth or complete games.
packerpuck19

Post by packerpuck19 »

Lakeville South could be on this list as well. They have been all year, and I cant quite figure them out. They have beat some good teams by a few goals and they have been kicked around by some teams as well. I do know that they have enough quality wins to be considered for the top 20. They just beat Eagan Green 5-2 to surpass Woodbury Blue in D8 standings, it hasnt been posted on stickstats yet. They are hoping they dont run into Apple Valley anywhere down the road though, as they have lost 3 times to them for a combined score of 13-1. Bad matchup for them i guess.
Who else?

Post by Who else? »

dlh:
"Not sure what you mean by "depth" or "complete games"...

If I moved someone down on my list vs. LPH's, I tried to give a reason (not trying to be just negative).

The rankings are based primarily on W-L-T, key match-ups, and recent success (whether we agree with LPH or not).

Has DE played (more) tougher opponents throughout the year?... maybe. Is a win over Wayzata Blue significant?... of course, the same would apply if DE played SR today... it would matter. Has everyone lost games they should have won?... sure. Can anyone from #2 - #8 be ranked higher?... of course. Has SR done anything 'not' deserving of #2?... bottom line - no.

I chose to separate the two (in my own opinion) based on the 5 games I've seen DE play vs 3 SR games. That's it. Not like there's a major drop-off among teams. I just haven't been able to locate a site online (outside of tournaments / other associations) to see all the DE games, margins of victory, opponents, etc.

Let me know if the following information is accurate:
DE record vs. Top 10 (3-4-0):
Wayzata Blue - 2 losses
Sauk Rapids - never played
Wayzata Gold - never played
Edina Green - split
OMG - split
Eagan Blue - never played
B'ville - never played
Tonka - 1 win
Elk River - never played

SR record vs. Top 10 (2-2-0)

To your point, nothing matters now and anything can happen in March. I believe the state champ lies between #1 - #8 (of my list).

Don't get me wrong... I'm on record for loving your team and association, just watercooler talk.

Good luck to all.
noConsistancy

Post by noConsistancy »

for Apple Valley - you mention 2 players ?
actually AV has 7 players with >=30 pts
so solving 2 is a funny observation...
truth is - they can win almost any game 3-1
and they can lose almost any game 3-1
it's just not a science.....as well you all know....

Who else? wrote:Thanks for the info Pack...

So, taking out the week delay in LPH, any thoughts on this line-up?

1 WAYZATA BLUE - 42-1-2 deserving in all aspects.
4 Wayzata Gold - 32-4-5 Never lost to big Blue. Undefeated, #2 in D3.
5 Edina Green - 33-5-5 Can bite you, but not your historic Edina team.
6 Osseo/Maple Grove - 32-6-3 Just tied big Blue. Only losses to #1-5 including Duluth East (split).
7 Eagan Blue - 36-7-4 record gets them here (only 2 wins vs. a top 10 team at the time). Never beat Edina G, or OMG... but very solid.
8 Burnsville - 30-8-4 Never seen them, but losses keep popping up and wins are tighter (lately).
9 Minnetonka - 23-11-5 Same as B'ville... competition seems to be evolving at a higher curve.
10 Elk River - 31-8-2 Lots of potential if they faced better competition to validate.
11 Edina White - 20-11-6
12 Apple Valley - 23-11-8 Teams are solving the two players more quickly.
13 Eden Prairie - 6-5-2 in D6 play. Deeper roster than AV, but can't solve them.
14 Stillwater - Honestly haven't seen them this year, but see some victories over mid level teams.
15 River Heights - 21-11-3... rising, #2 in D8.
16 Eagan Green - 22-15-3... fading.
17/18 Woodbury White / Blue - White #3 in D8 (over Woodbury Blue). Head to head may decide which Woody goes here.
19 Moorhead - Not knowing overall record, just based on what I've seen.
20 Wayzata Navy - 25-15-5. A spoiler that has some interesting splits, wins, ties, and competitive losses.
gohawk4

New LPH ranking 2/19

Post by gohawk4 »

Here is the latest before Playoffs start.

1 WAYZATA BLUE
2 Duluth East
3 Sauk Rapids
4 Eagan Blue
5 Wayzata Gold
6 Edina Green
7 Minnetonka
8 Osseo/Maple Grove
9 Burnsville
10 Edina White
11 Eden Prairie
12 Apple Valley
13 Stillwater
14 Eagan Green
15 River Heights
16 Woodbury Blue
17 Lakeville South
18 Elk River
19 Woodbury White
20 White Bear Black
BoomIjustHitYou

Re: New LPH ranking 2/19

Post by BoomIjustHitYou »

gohawk4 wrote:Here is the latest before Playoffs start.

1 WAYZATA BLUE
2 Duluth East
3 Sauk Rapids
4 Eagan Blue
5 Wayzata Gold
6 Edina Green
7 Minnetonka
8 Osseo/Maple Grove
9 Burnsville
10 Edina White
11 Eden Prairie
12 Apple Valley
13 Stillwater
14 Eagan Green
15 River Heights
16 Woodbury Blue
17 Lakeville South
18 Elk River
19 Woodbury White
20 White Bear Black

LPH is way off
gohawk4

Post by gohawk4 »

Boom- What do think they should be? Why are they way off?
BoomIjustHitYou

gohawk4 wrote:Boom- What do think they should be? Why are they way off?
well tonka moves up 2 spots and bville moves back? bville beat EP and tied edina . plus lakeville south is under rated and should be in the top 10
gohawk4

Post by gohawk4 »

BoomIjustHitYou wrote:
well tonka moves up 2 spots and bville moves back? bville beat EP and tied edina . plus lakeville south is under rated and should be in the top 10
It looks to me like Minnetonka finished second in D6 over Burnsville who finished 4th behind Edina White. To me this would suggest Tonka should be ranked higher. Whether it was this week or a previous week it should have happened. I could be wrong, but that is what LPH will look at. If you win your district you will be ranked at the top of your district (at least you should be).
BoomIjustHitYou

gohawk4 wrote:
BoomIjustHitYou wrote:
It looks to me like Minnetonka finished second in D6 over Burnsville who finished 4th behind Edina White. To me this would suggest Tonka should be ranked higher. Whether it was this week or a previous week it should have happened. I could be wrong, but that is what LPH will look at. If you win your district you will be ranked at the top of your district (at least you should be).
ok i agree on that. No matter what ,their both very good teams and usually a fun game to watch.
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

Well if you look at D2, White Bear Black finishes in 1st (10-4-2 in Dist. play) and Stillwater finishes 2nd (8-4-4 in district play) and Stillwater gets ranked 13th and White Bear gets ranked 20th?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Everybody needs to take these standings with a grain of salt...