Section 1AA 2008-09

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEhockeyDAD

Section 1AA 2008-09

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

Not sure if there's many section 1AA participants in this forum, but since we're closing in on sections, we could take a look.

It looks to me like a 4-way standoff at this point, with Farmington, Lakevilles South and North and Rochester Mayo all having a good shot at winning the section. I'm not sure that recent matchups indicate anything, other than it could go any way.

Last year, Farmington's team D and a timely hot goalie really put them ahead of the rest. Any thoughts, anyone?
GundersonDC

Post by GundersonDC »

I fully agree with those four teams, too bad we could not have seen all these teams play head to head in the season so the vote will be tough. It has been presented at the section meetings that all teams paly each other at least once so as a coach u can give that team an accurate vote. At the section meeting I will be voting on these 4 teams yet have only seen Farmington(first game of the season) and Mayo in a scrimmage..This will be a tough call but at least the quality of hockey in the section I feel is getting stronger each year,.
pickme

Post by pickme »

I think teams playing head-to-head is overrated in some respects because of timing...injuries, sickness, change in lines/systems, finals for the kids, etc. all have a lot to do with how a team plays. That being said (and I know I am contradicting myself) it is the best way to look at the teams for ranking.

This section is a mess but with Farmington playing Owatonna and South playing North that should help (unless Owatonna beats Farmington and South and North tie again). The real thing that screws it up is how Owatonna and Mayo play after the seedings.

Either way, whoever wins the section won't do much in the state tourney, they'll need another goaltending performance like last year to get one win.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Section 1AA KRACH Ranking 1/26/09

May be the best indicator for the 1AA coaches to ponder when thinking about the section seeding process...

In looking at the limited times the top 4 teams have played each other (North & South exception) and with how close these teams are to each other, an established rating system such as the KRACH or Pairwise would be beneficial for the coaches to at least examine before voting for section seeds...

RK TEAM RECORD RATING CL S
31 Rochester Mayo 13-5-0 36.758 AA 1
35 Lakeville North 14-6-1 34.110 AA 1
37 Lakeville South 13-6-1 33.405 AA 1
47 Farmington 11-6-1 18.196 AA 1
49 Owatonna 10-7-0 17.940 AA 1
81 Dodge County 10-5-0 4.253 AA 1
90 Winona 4-8-1 2.623 AA 1
97 Rochester John Marshall 3-11-0 1.910 AA 1
121 Rochester Century 2-14-0 0.080 AA 1
GundersonDC

Post by GundersonDC »

These type power rankings are Ok and are looked at but does not figure in injured players or circumstances that the coaches know and discuss. We have very intelligent coaches in the section and the seeds seem to be correct once everyone leaves the table. Look at section 1A in this ranking for example....1. Northfield 2. Faribault 3 Red Wing Red wing beat both teams above them head to head and the early game they lost to Northfield they outshot and outplayed them yet lost. Prime example of how this does not work....
SEhockeyDAD

section 1AA tourney

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

Here's the brackets:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showxmlbrack ... acket=4773

In the 1st round, the 4 seed vs 5 seed is Farmington and Owatonna; they played each other January 31st with Farmington winning 3-1. I don't see the other games being even that close, although it'd be nice to see the seniors on Dodge County make a good showing against Lakeville North.

Good luck to all.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

My 1/4 finals guesses are:

Lakeville S 7 over JM 2: Sahli will give it her best but its tough when you have minimal mobility and only 4-5 games of experience. Weak shots against Century will have to get better since LVS will probably limit us to 20 shots. Wish I could go a the Rockets win on this but...

Farmington 3 over Owatonna 1: Farmington's goalies have split time this year with a save percentage of just under 90%. They score an average of 3.3 goals while giving up and average 2.3 versus pretty good competition. Owatonna's top goalie is injured. Farmington beat then 3-1 a few weeks ago.

Dodge County 5 over Lakeville N 4: I'm looking for the upset here. DodgeCounty has seniors Olson and Rasmussen and they are getting good numbers from underclassmen Gunderson, Dodds & Kleber. This gives a scoring threat from a lot of players. Solid D and goaltending will be needed. LVN has had losses to Owatonna, Mayo and LVS. They do play a tougher schedule.

Mayo 6 over Winona 2: Mayo is getting good production out of their top 2 lines and the bottom lines are not hurting them. Defense and goaltending have been solid. Winona's stats are spotty but it looks like their recent wins are over Century and Mankato East. Their recent losses include Mayo, Mankato W (2), Faribault and Owatonna.
GoTigers

Post by GoTigers »

Farmington 7 , Owatonna 3 (I think!)

Farmington came out skating FAST tonight, especially in the first; and three lines were rolling. The passes were crisp and clean, and even the bounces were helping. The first few goals came quick which seemed to deflate Owatonna.

Farmington had good practices this week and they were really ready and really "pumped" tonight as they got on the ice (according to my daughter).

Baumann was really on fire easily carrying the puck past multiple players all night long. She got 4 goals and at least one assist. One was an empty netter at an odd time for the Owatonna coach to pull his goalie.

I felt for the Owatonna goalie who really did not have much help from her D tonight.

If Farmington plays this way the rest of the tournament, they repeat last year. It's a good time to be peaking.

Go Tigers.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Mayo 7

Winona 1

Mayo played well after 1st, erupted for 3 goals in minute and a half... Played 3rd and 4th line for much of second half of the game...

Nice start... :D
hockeygroupie

Post by hockeygroupie »

GoTigers wrote:Farmington 7 , Owatonna 3 (I think!)

Farmington came out skating FAST tonight, especially in the first; and three lines were rolling. The passes were crisp and clean, and even the bounces were helping. The first few goals came quick which seemed to deflate Owatonna.

Farmington had good practices this week and they were really ready and really "pumped" tonight as they got on the ice (according to my daughter).

Baumann was really on fire easily carrying the puck past multiple players all night long. She got 4 goals and at least one assist. One was an empty netter at an odd time for the Owatonna coach to pull his goalie.

I felt for the Owatonna goalie who really did not have much help from her D tonight.

If Farmington plays this way the rest of the tournament, they repeat last year. It's a good time to be peaking.

Go Tigers.
In defense of Owatonna-their starting goalie is out with a broken leg. Also, have seen Baumann play, yes she is a good player but a team player, not so sure about that one. Can they make it back to state?. Not this year.
Rocket78

Post by Rocket78 »

I just read on the scores thread that Mayo beat Lakeville N 1-0 in 4 overtimes! The D and goalies must have been standing on their heads! Congrats girls. Who scored?
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Rocket78 wrote:I just read on the scores thread that Mayo beat Lakeville N 1-0 in 4 overtimes! The D and goalies must have been standing on their heads! Congrats girls. Who scored?
Great game for both teams! Lakeville North should not hang their heads, as they played a good game, and had a very good season!
Shots 44 - 40, in favor of Mayo, up & down all night...

Justice for the best player on the ice all night, Mayo's Keri Pickel, as she scored the winner in 4th OT. Keri gave everything on every shift all night!
It is truly fun to watch a player give 120% on each shift... :D

Now, it's a very physical Lakeville South squad, which will be a tough battle for Mayo, and hopefully the girls will have something left in the tank w/ a State berth on the line... :D
SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN »

Rocket78 wrote:I just read on the scores thread that Mayo beat Lakeville N 1-0 in 4 overtimes! The D and goalies must have been standing on their heads! Congrats girls. Who scored?
4 OTS!>!!>!>!>! jesus how late did this game go till???
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

SEMNHOCKEYFAN wrote:
4 OTS!>!!>!>!>! jesus how late did this game go till???
SEMN, game ended a little before Midnight (11:50), snowy roads from Owatonna, got home about 1:15 am... fun night... :D
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Ahhhh, it's big game day :!:

Go Mayo :D

South plays a very physical game, I hope the Mayo girls shrug any of that off, and capitalize on the PP's that will come their way.

Skate hard, shoot often, forecheck like you have never forechecked before, and good luck :!:

You have had a great season for such a young team. Let's keep it going for a little longer! :D
gopherhockey21

Post by gopherhockey21 »

Anybody know if the game is going to be on the radio?
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

gopherhockey21 wrote:Anybody know if the game is going to be on the radio?
Gopher - both semifinal games were on the radio, 95.5 FM, Lakeville station, so if you are in Rochester, it may be difficult to bring in... May check radio website for online streaming...

Go Spartans :D
gopherhockey21

Post by gopherhockey21 »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
gopherhockey21 wrote:Anybody know if the game is going to be on the radio?
Gopher - both semifinal games were on the radio, 95.5 FM, Lakeville station, so if you are in Rochester, it may be difficult to bring in... May check radio website for online streaming...

Go Spartans :D
Thank you.
gopherhockey21

Post by gopherhockey21 »

2-1 end of first Lakeville South.
gopherhockey21

Post by gopherhockey21 »

4-2 Lakeville end of 2nd. Mayo goals Flesher and Pickel.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Tough day for the Spartans...
Lakeville South 6 - Rochester Mayo 3
Shots:
Lakeville South 25
Mayo 18

Spartans scored right away in 3rd to make it 4-3, and then 30 seconds later, Mayo's Flescher hit the post on an open break, which would have tied it. :(
As it always happens, about 30 seconds after Mayo hits the post, South flew down and scored a beauty. That was the killer... South scored very quick again and that was the game...

Congrats to South! They were the better team today. Capitalized on every 2 on 1 and open break today!

Great season to the Spartans! Come back harder next year! Graduate 2 seniors, and coming off a 20 win season, nothing to hang your head about!
We are very proud of you! :D