JRGA -Top ten this week

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

bardown30 wrote:
toptitty96 wrote:I don't think the game between Jefferson and Edina and Cent. and Edina can be put in the same category. The Jefferson game was tight, 2-1 going into the third. Edina put one away early and got an empty net..i wouldn't call that domination, especially compared to a 7-1 beatdown. I dont think Jefferson is as good as them, but i just wanted to point out that Edina is not yet completely dominant. I still think they are tops in the league though. EP is definately a close second..I like WBL also
what do you think shots were in the Edina/Jefferson game? The difference was Jefferson took a lot of penalties. Edina did dominate the second period, Jefferson could not get it out of their own zone.
I am guessing Edina was ahead in shots..but maybe only slightly. The second period was all Edina, but I felt like 1st and third were very equal..the first being the best period for Jefferson. It looks like Edina had a better game plan..better control, they always knew what they wanted to do. Jefferson played well, though.
wildthing

Edina....

Post by wildthing »

Penalties, or lack of, are an important part of the game. Normally teams that are taking excessive penalties in a game are getting outplayed.

Goaltending, supported by aggressive D is a huge factor late in the season. If my memory is correct, Edina only gave up a grand total of three goals in recent games vs. EP, Cent. and Jeff. Thats almost as good as it gets guys...
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

My new Rankings for the week ahead:

1. Edina--Record league: 18-1-1 Goal Diff: +102
Still cannot argue with their play. I see them as the team with the most depth in the league as of right now. They have 3 solid lines, although one is clearly weaker than the others. Their line that includes 3 captains/assistants is not their best line. Their best line has players with numbers 9, 27, and 8. They are hard working and always have the puck in the other end. Defense is still a question. 10 is their best D by far with the others being less consistent. Goaltending is pretty solid too. As mentioned before, only 3 goal allowed in previous 3 games vs good teams in EP, Jefferson and Centennial. Not sure which goalie is better.

2. EP--Record: 14-2-2 Goal Diff: +90
Still a good team in my book. A come back tie vs. WBL and a win over Eagan this past week. Watching them it just looks like they don't always have motivation. They can be hard working and have a lot of talented players who move the puck pretty well when they want. Just need to learn to always work hard no matter what the situation. Hard to pick out which of their players are the best because of the inconsistency. Mulvehill can fly when he wants and is very good, but I have also seen him give up on plays and just quit skating. Goaltending is pretty solid but I think someone will figure them out. One of the goalies comes way too far out of the net, so once someone figures out just skating around him, or passing backdoor, they may let in more goals. Otherwise, EP is solid all around.

3. WBL--Record: 12-3-3 Goal Diff: +60
I still think this team has the talent to go all the way. They have tied both Edina and EP, two games they really should have one. They held a 3 goal lead on Edina, and a 2 goal lead on EP. They really need to learn how to finish games and not slow their play when they have a lead. They beat Hopkins and Elk River this past week but that doesn't show much. They are really fast and I can offer nothing but praise to how they can always find an open guy in the slot. If they stay out of penalty troubles and keep their head in the game, they have a chance to do well.

4. Minnetonka:--Record: 10-4-3 Goal Diff: +24
I really don't know what to think of Tonka. They definitely aren't a dominate team but can compete at high levels. I cannot pick out anyone on the team that is a "star" but there are few weak players. Goalies are alright, and when they are on they are really good. They tied Jefferson this past week and those are the games Tonka will need to win if they want to make a run, Jefferson is a good team, but they have a below .500 record so Tonka should be beating them.

That is all I have right now. It is too hard to judge the rest of the teams.
A few things I would like to point out...
-The key to success is working hard and staying consistent. At this point in the season you cannot give up for a shift. Everyone needs to play their best at all times. Cannot make mistakes.
-Just something I noticed right now, look at the goal differential for Tonka and Edina. Edina is plus 102 while Tonka is only plus 24. Tonka has played 3 less games, yet they have allowed 14 more goals. Just seemed interesting to me. A testament to Edina D and Goalies? or are they just that much better than Tonka?
toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

That's a good top 4. Centennial has really been playing badly. Although I think they have the talent, I think this team is done..I'm not sure why, but they arent the same team. You are right about Jefferson having an average record, but they have played some good teams. I think the best wins they have are EP, WBL, Tonka..who they also tied. So I would definately say that Edina is the standout. I would put Jefferson shortly after Tonka, and then I think you could put Wayzata or Duluth..maybe still Centennial after that, or maybe even Burnsville.
wildthing

Top 10 for week of 2/14

Post by wildthing »

Bardown has the top 4 correct for this week, although WBL is poised to move up in the rankings.

1) Edina- no contest
2) EP
3) WBL- improving
4) Tonka- consitant
5) Jefferson- beat some good teams
6) Duluth- " " "
7) Burnsville
8) Centennial
9) Wessy's Boys
10) Wayzata
countrygentleman

Post by countrygentleman »

bardown30 wrote:My new Rankings for the week ahead:

1. Edina--Record league: 18-1-1 Goal Diff: +102
Still cannot argue with their play. I see them as the team with the most depth in the league as of right now. They have 3 solid lines, although one is clearly weaker than the others. Their line that includes 3 captains/assistants is not their best line. Their best line has players with numbers 9, 27, and 8. They are hard working and always have the puck in the other end. Defense is still a question. 10 is their best D by far with the others being less consistent. Goaltending is pretty solid too. As mentioned before, only 3 goal allowed in previous 3 games vs good teams in EP, Jefferson and Centennial. Not sure which goalie is better.

2. EP--Record: 14-2-2 Goal Diff: +90
Still a good team in my book. A come back tie vs. WBL and a win over Eagan this past week. Watching them it just looks like they don't always have motivation. They can be hard working and have a lot of talented players who move the puck pretty well when they want. Just need to learn to always work hard no matter what the situation. Hard to pick out which of their players are the best because of the inconsistency. Mulvehill can fly when he wants and is very good, but I have also seen him give up on plays and just quit skating. Goaltending is pretty solid but I think someone will figure them out. One of the goalies comes way too far out of the net, so once someone figures out just skating around him, or passing backdoor, they may let in more goals. Otherwise, EP is solid all around.

3. WBL--Record: 12-3-3 Goal Diff: +60
I still think this team has the talent to go all the way. They have tied both Edina and EP, two games they really should have one. They held a 3 goal lead on Edina, and a 2 goal lead on EP. They really need to learn how to finish games and not slow their play when they have a lead. They beat Hopkins and Elk River this past week but that doesn't show much. They are really fast and I can offer nothing but praise to how they can always find an open guy in the slot. If they stay out of penalty troubles and keep their head in the game, they have a chance to do well.

4. Minnetonka:--Record: 10-4-3 Goal Diff: +24
I really don't know what to think of Tonka. They definitely aren't a dominate team but can compete at high levels. I cannot pick out anyone on the team that is a "star" but there are few weak players. Goalies are alright, and when they are on they are really good. They tied Jefferson this past week and those are the games Tonka will need to win if they want to make a run, Jefferson is a good team, but they have a below .500 record so Tonka should be beating them.

That is all I have right now. It is too hard to judge the rest of the teams.
A few things I would like to point out...
-The key to success is working hard and staying consistent. At this point in the season you cannot give up for a shift. Everyone needs to play their best at all times. Cannot make mistakes.
-Just something I noticed right now, look at the goal differential for Tonka and Edina. Edina is plus 102 while Tonka is only plus 24. Tonka has played 3 less games, yet they have allowed 14 more goals. Just seemed interesting to me. A testament to Edina D and Goalies? or are they just that much better than Tonka?
I like the assessment. Really, right now anyone is capable of winning it all. Look at last year. Bloomington ended up playing Centennial in the state tourny ship. Who would have foresaw that matchup a year ago today? I thought Edina would be able to take it home, but they some how choked. I thought Wessys would be a good team, but again, they choked. White Bear Lake was solid last year, but again, some how choked.

So, like I said before, anyone is really capable. I remember two years ago, Wayzata won it and they were really nothing special during the regular season but somehow managed to put together a couple good games in state and win it.

I think goaltending will really be the key to any team's success this year. Just going off the metrohockeyleague standings, it looks like Edina and Eden Prairie have it. Graves for Edina really didn't seem special the first time we played them. He was lazy and played on the goal line. Not to hard to score against that, but maybe he'll figure it out latter. Bloomington has solid goaltending from what I've seen. Minnetonka and WBL really lack in the goaltending department, which could end up killing them latter in the season.

It is nice to see a post on the JG forum with a little substance and thought put into it.
Iraqnam
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

It really comes down to who is playing well at the time. The reality is, alot of the teams are equal in skill level. Some just have more desire and motivation than others.

You are right about goaltending. That is the key to a good team. Without good goalies, then nothing is going to go your way. EP and Edina do have the best goalies I would say. I have seen both Edina goalies play. I think what you saw at the Edina/EP game the first time was just a bad performance by the Edina team, Graves was alright, only letting in one weak goal from a bad angle. I saw him play this past week against Jefferson and he looked very good, stopped what was probably 25 shots and only allowed one goal. The other goalie for Edina, Aslesan(sp?) goes down almost every shot which is opposite of Graves.

It will come down to who is hot and who is not during this long stretch. Most teams have less than 10 games left, depending on where they become seeded and assuming they make it all the way. The season has gone fast, and has been an interesting one. Still too hard to pick a favorite at this time which is surprising. It's a crapshoot.
WarriorHockey18

Post by WarriorHockey18 »

countrygentleman wrote:

I think goaltending will really be the key to any team's success this year. Just going off the metrohockeyleague standings, it looks like Edina and Eden Prairie have it. Graves for Edina really didn't seem special the first time we played them. He was lazy and played on the goal line. Not to hard to score against that, but maybe he'll figure it out latter. Bloomington has solid goaltending from what I've seen. Minnetonka and WBL really lack in the goaltending department, which could end up killing them latter in the season.
Minnetonka has the best goalie in the entire league. Brian Parkhurst (#01) completely shut down Edina in our championship win, stopping 40 shots. He is the most talented goalie in the league, and has shut down alot of good teams. It's ridiculous to say Minnetonka has bad goal tending. Im excited to see Parkhurst in playoffs because our whole team knows how good he really is. We also had a tough week with 3 of our forwards being hurt, and are finally going to be healthy for our game tonight against Champlin Park. Look out for Tonka from here on out.
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

WarriorHockey18 wrote:
countrygentleman wrote:

Minnetonka has the best goalie in the entire league. Brian Parkhurst (#01) completely shut down Edina in our championship win, stopping 40 shots. He is the most talented goalie in the league, and has shut down alot of good teams. It's ridiculous to say Minnetonka has bad goal tending. Im excited to see Parkhurst in playoffs because our whole team knows how good he really is. We also had a tough week with 3 of our forwards being hurt, and are finally going to be healthy for our game tonight against Champlin Park. Look out for Tonka from here on out.
There is a difference between a hot goalie and a consistently good goalie. One game vs. Edina where your goalie got hot doesn't say much. How do you explain Minnetonka letting in 14 more goals than Edina in 3 less games? Edina and EP have the best goalies and that is a fact.
WarriorHockey18

Post by WarriorHockey18 »

bardown30 wrote:
WarriorHockey18 wrote:
countrygentleman wrote: Minnetonka has the best goalie in the entire league. Brian Parkhurst (#01) completely shut down Edina in our championship win, stopping 40 shots. He is the most talented goalie in the league, and has shut down alot of good teams. It's ridiculous to say Minnetonka has bad goal tending. Im excited to see Parkhurst in playoffs because our whole team knows how good he really is. We also had a tough week with 3 of our forwards being hurt, and are finally going to be healthy for our game tonight against Champlin Park. Look out for Tonka from here on out.
There is a difference between a hot goalie and a consistently good goalie. One game vs. Edina where your goalie got hot doesn't say much. How do you explain Minnetonka letting in 14 more goals than Edina in 3 less games? Edina and EP have the best goalies and that is a fact.
yes they are on very good teams, but they are not the best goal tenders. Minnetonka and Wayzata both have 1 really good goalie that stands out and keeps their teams in games.
p.s. We've cleaned up on WBL twice this season, they don't deserve to be ranked ahead of us.
wildthing

Post by wildthing »

Both Bardown and I rank teams on how they are playing lately. WBL has played very well in the last few weeks. Last I looked WBL only had 3 league losses.
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

EP and Edina are good as a result of their goalies. They aren't good teams that have mediocre goalies. Teams are built around solid goaltending.
blueblood

Rankings

Post by blueblood »

The JGA rankings for 1 and 2 are obvious.

The JGA rankings for 3 and 4 are close a toss-up. I believe Tonka has earned the current #3 rank with the following resume:

- Tonka hasn't lost in last 17 games (that's half their season to date)

- Tonka beat Edina on their home ice for Reimann Title

- Tonka has beat WBL twice this season with no losses to them

As for the Tonka goalies, BOTH are top notch. How can you argue against a 17 game unbeaten string where both goalies hav played equally. During that stretch thay have only given up 23 goals.

After tonights Tonka game, Tonka and WBL each have 40 points with 6 games to go (not sure if WBL played tonite).

WBL has a tough end-of-season stretch with 5 out of 6 road games including B'ville, Edina, Wayzata, and Centennial. The other 2 games are AACR and Eagan.

Tonka remaining games are Centennial, Wessy's, Stillwater (2x), Blaine and AACR.

WBL and Tonka are both playing top notch hockey right now. They will probably have to play each other for the M3 seed with the loser needing to win the backdoor M4 seed to advance to state, where they could meet again in the State QF's, which in unfortunate for both teams.
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

Looks like Tonka was smart by saving their easy games for the end of the season.

But why brag on beating White Bear Lake? The last time you played them was in the first week in January. That was a month a half ago. A lot has changed since then. A tie with Wayzata and a tie with Jefferson in the past week hasn't helped your cause in my opinion.
toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

Why hasn't it helped their cause? Jefferson beat EP, a team that has possibly the most talent in the league. Wayzata is definately a solid team too..one that has not been given enough credit this season. Tonka is a good team..and there are other teams out there that could be contenders in the tourny this year. Don't think that your Edina has got it all locked up. They may choke like last year. By the way, Edina's tie with WBL (early in season) and loss 4-1 to EP show that they are quite vulnerable, and coming back to beat EP 2-1 on a fluke goal really means nothing come playoffs, and these things certainly aren't something to brag about. Also keep in mind that Tonka beat Edina(your team i'm guessing).
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

toptitty96 wrote:Why hasn't it helped their cause? Jefferson beat EP, a team that has possibly the most talent in the league. Wayzata is definately a solid team too..one that has not been given enough credit this season. Tonka is a good team..and there are other teams out there that could be contenders in the tourny this year. Don't think that your Edina has got it all locked up. They may choke like last year. By the way, Edina's tie with WBL (early in season) and loss 4-1 to EP show that they are quite vulnerable, and coming back to beat EP 2-1 on a fluke goal really means nothing come playoffs, and these things certainly aren't something to brag about. Also keep in mind that Tonka beat Edina(your team i'm guessing).
Seems the Minnetonka kids on here believe they should be higher in the rankings and are the team to beat right now. 17 games without a loss is impressive, but they should be beating both those teams in my opinion if they truly think they are the team to beat. Tonka is good, but I still would not rank them ahead of WBL right now.
blueblood

top 10 JGA

Post by blueblood »

bardown: we are all entitled to an opionion. You have been a regular poster on this blog and I like reviweing your material :)

Give me something to review regarding WBL's resume and I will consider it. I gave you my top 3 reasons that were factual team data in support of Tonka.
toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

I would not rank Tonka above WBL either. I would just like to point out that those two teams (Jefferson and Wayzata) are respectable teams that could also make a run down the road.
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

Minnetonka
Record in League: 10-5-3
Goals For: 67
Goals Against: 52
Diff: +15

Games against respectable teams in league play(My opinion of course):
Wayzata 2-1 W
Edina 3-4 L
White Bear 6-5 W
EP 5-7 L
Jefferson 5-6 L
Wayzata 2-2 T
Jefferson 3-3 T

White Bear Lake:
League Record: 12-3-3
Goals For: 113
Goals Against: 53
Diff: +60

Respectable Games:
Jefferson 5-4 W
Minnetonka 5-6 L
Edina 5-5 T
EP 5-5 T

White Bear has a better record. White Bear scores alot more goals. Both teams let in equal amounts of goals. White Bear has tied EP and beat Jefferson. Tonka lost to EP and Jefferson and also tied Jefferson. White Bear lost by 1 goal to Tonka. White Bear tied Edina, Tonka lost to Edina.

I do not take in account tournament games. Tournaments mean little to nothing, as I know alot of teams switch up lines drastically for tournaments just to try things out.

I am still sticking to my opinion that White Bear is the better team. You never know, this may change by next week.
wildthing

WBL ranking

Post by wildthing »

WBL played EP twice in Feb.
First In a tourney at WBL where da bears scored 6 goals in a 7-6 losing effort. EP does not give up many goals, so scoring 6 is worth some extra credit.
A week later they met in league play and tied. EP was down by 2 goals with less than 2 minutes to go. EP gets some extra credit for coming back, WBL gets extra credit for nearly winning. A late stupid penalty away from the play killed the bears.
For this week WBL stands at third place. Blueblood presents a good case for moving Tonka up to third place. Maybe next week... :D
bardown30

Re: WBL ranking

Post by bardown30 »

wildthing wrote:WBL played EP twice in Feb.
First In a tourney at WBL where da bears scored 6 goals in a 7-6 losing effort. EP does not give up many goals, so scoring 6 is worth some extra credit.
A week later they met in league play and tied. EP was down by 2 goals with less than 2 minutes to go. EP gets some extra credit for coming back, WBL gets extra credit for nearly winning. A late stupid penalty away from the play killed the bears.
For this week WBL stands at third place. Blueblood presents a good case for moving Tonka up to third place. Maybe next week... :D
Fair enough, but I don't look into tournament games much at all. They are meaningless to me.
blueblood

bardown

Post by blueblood »

Check the standings. There was a wrong score reported.

Tonka @ Stillwater tonite
Tonka vs. Wessy's tomorrow (big game for both teams)

18 games and counting......
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

Hate to bring this up, but you guys keep bragging on your 18 game win streak and I finally looked at who you played over those games. Not very impressed to say the least. One quality win and that was in a tournament vs. Edina, and like I have said before, I don't take tournaments to mean anything, but still a win vs. Edina is good even if they do switch their lines up for tournaments. The only other competition was Jefferson and Wayzata, couldn't manage a win vs. either.

Best of luck on continuing the streak, but I think you might be in for some trouble when you run into WBL, Edina, and EP in regionals or state, but hey, prove me wrong please.
blueblood

JGA

Post by blueblood »

Bardown -

I don't make the schedule. I just report the results.

All teams "mix" lines and I guarantee you that Edina didn't want to lose wanted to Tonka in their own tournament, just like Tonka didn't want to lose to Edina in their tournament.

I don't understand why you dis on tournaments. No player or coach wants to lose a game if they have any competitive fire in them, especially to a rival.

My top 4 are:

Edina - #1
EP - #2
Tonka - #3
WBL - #4

After that, it's a log jam. The top 4 teams have proven themselves in Metro League and Tournaments. One of them most likely will be state champs.

But, as we all know only 1 team can be state champs....
blueblood

bardown

Post by blueblood »

One other thing -

What about Wessy's and Burnsville? Are they not good enough for you?

The both have better [b]LEAGUE[/b] records than Wayzata and Jefferson. :shock: