Net Movement

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

buddish4mrhockey

net movement

Post by buddish4mrhockey »

from the games ive seen, the goalie from eagan is famous for knocking the net off. after the second time it should be a delay of game
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

HOLY COW!!! somebody wake up Harry! I witnessed it myself. A goalie got a penalty last night for delay of game. After at least a dozen net moves between the WBL and Cretin goalies last night, the ref finally gave out a penalty.

These net supports need to be redesigned for the size and strength of todays goalies. The current structure has tuned our beloved game into a mockery!
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

I agree bodyshots.... I hate watching basketball, because of all the dang "touch fouls" breaking up the flow of the game... Nothing worse then the puck being in the zone for 40 seconds, the Def tired, and then the net coming off the moorings stopping play.. allowing for the DEF to regroup.
gopherhockey21

Post by gopherhockey21 »

SEMNHOCKEYFAN wrote:I remember a game a few years ago when it was mayo-jm and mayo kept getting chances down in the jm end and every time it would seem that the net would just happen to come off....i beleve mayo lost that game like 2-1 but i beleve that if it becomes consistant that the refs should call a penalty r something along that line.....
Mayo won the game 4-0.
King of the Pond

Post by King of the Pond »

this very situation happened in the Blaine Centennial game. 2 Centennial goals were waved off because the ref claimed the net came off before the puck made it in.
minnesotaice

Post by minnesotaice »

King of the Pond wrote:this very situation happened in the Blaine Centennial game. 2 Centennial goals were waved off because the ref claimed the net came off before the puck made it in.
Yeah but that was different the goaltender didnt kick the net loose. The first goal waved off was knocked loose when Pitlick (i think it was pitlick) trying to knock the puck through harpers skate and the pipe.
The second goal that was waved off was a bit more clear cut. There were two centennial players skating around the net. The one with the puck skated around the net, the other fell into the net and kicked it loose well before the shot was taken.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

If I were a goalie and I didn't think the refs would call it a penalty I would probably take this course of action in a tough spot. It's the goaly's job to protect the net, no matter what. They are under the most pressure of anyone on the team. It is easiest to tell when they are the ones who make the mistake. Plus it gives their guys a break if they are tired. I understand that it's frustrating for one team and their fans, but there is a flip side to the situation as well.
windtomyback

Post by windtomyback »

If you are in a tough spot, play tough - not cheap.
countrygentleman

Post by countrygentleman »

Zamman wrote:
Rossbury21 wrote:I think they should mandate a change to the rubber stoppers during games that most College and Professional teams now do...they require a little more work during intermission, but it is so much more effective, because the net will never be slightly off, if it gets nudged it will just move right back in.

The Problem with calling a penalty however is it is a judgement call, one ref will call it more then another.
A lot of rinks cannot change to the rubber pegs. That would mean drilling holes in concrete, which would cause stress fractures in the flooring. In our rink we have a sand floor and the holes would just keep expanding or cave in. Not to mention that our pipes are just below the ice surface.

Another point should be that people need to properly peg nets after the ice is made. I see most rinks and players kneel down and bang the peg into the ice then set the net on top of it. I was taught many years ago to take the peg, lift the net, set the peg in the pipe and drop the net. That causes enough pressure to sink the spike and the end of the peg. i do not see many nets moving off when this is done.
Being a goalie, I can you tell that that dropping the net on the peg is the least effect method of pegging the net. If dropped from a high enough height this may work, but too many refs are old and lazy and do not bring the net up more than what is necessary to fit the peg underneath. The most effective method is what you first described; get down on your knees, BANG that sucker into the ice, and then drop the net onto of the peg.

Further, I never knock the net off its pegs intentionally. On top of that, nothing pisses me off more than when a ref doesn't put the peg in properly and the net comes off every time I slide post to post.
Iraqnam
ref101

Post by ref101 »

countrygentleman wrote:
Zamman wrote:
Rossbury21 wrote:I think they should mandate a change to the rubber stoppers during games that most College and Professional teams now do...they require a little more work during intermission, but it is so much more effective, because the net will never be slightly off, if it gets nudged it will just move right back in.

The Problem with calling a penalty however is it is a judgement call, one ref will call it more then another.
A lot of rinks cannot change to the rubber pegs. That would mean drilling holes in concrete, which would cause stress fractures in the flooring. In our rink we have a sand floor and the holes would just keep expanding or cave in. Not to mention that our pipes are just below the ice surface.

Another point should be that people need to properly peg nets after the ice is made. I see most rinks and players kneel down and bang the peg into the ice then set the net on top of it. I was taught many years ago to take the peg, lift the net, set the peg in the pipe and drop the net. That causes enough pressure to sink the spike and the end of the peg. i do not see many nets moving off when this is done.
Being a goalie, I can you tell that that dropping the net on the peg is the least effect method of pegging the net. If dropped from a high enough height this may work, but too many refs are old and lazy and do not bring the net up more than what is necessary to fit the peg underneath. The most effective method is what you first described; get down on your knees, BANG that sucker into the ice, and then drop the net onto of the peg.

Further, I never knock the net off its pegs intentionally. On top of that, nothing pisses me off more than when a ref doesn't put the peg in properly and the net comes off every time I slide post to post.

Interesting how it's always ref's this, ref's that....now it's the "old and lazy ref's" that don't do it right. Obviously you never played goalie at the high school level, and you don't go to any high school games. If you do,,, pay attention,,, the site managment takes care of the nets! This old and lazy ref doesn't set nets.....