Northern Wings tourney top 98 teams

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeycentral

Post by hockeycentral »

for some info, the kid from the iceman has been on the northern wings four a couple of years, first year iceman player, so it should say northern wings player on the ice man
the JR bulldogs have 2 stars players, the third has played I beleive for both the wings and stars, you take away the top 3 scoresr for them, which were brought in for this, and they are with everyone else except the wings, 15 of their 25 goals came from them three
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

muckandgrind wrote:
hockeydad30 wrote:
muckandgrind wrote: Isn't that sad? People KNOW it's wrong, but will do it anyway because there is no governing body to police it.

Let me ask you a question...do you play golf? Do you follow the same philosophy on the course? Do you need someone to tell you what is right and what is wrong, or do you just follow your conscience?

We wouldn't NEED a governing body to create and enforce rules if coaches and teams did the right thing and play at the correct level.
Why do some of you act like min/wis is the only team that does this
Northern wings has an Icemen player
at the Meltdown the Snipers had Duece and Machine players
Plus there are many others I am not going to say them all.
That's the classic "if everyone ELSE is doing it, why can't I?" argument....when your kid asks you that question, how do you normally respond?

Nobody is saying the Min/Wis team is the only one doing it, but it still doesn't make it right.

...and tell me...which Duece team played at the Meltdown?
I ment Snipers and I am not defending them just saying
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

hockeycentral wrote:for some info, the kid from the iceman has been on the northern wings four a couple of years, first year iceman player, so it should say northern wings player on the ice man
the JR bulldogs have 2 stars players, the third has played I beleive for both the wings and stars, you take away the top 3 scoresr for them, which were brought in for this, and they are with everyone else except the wings, 15 of their 25 goals came from them three
But he has made the step from open to invite
council member retired

Post by council member retired »

but it is a aaa hockey trny correct?
Well if your not wanting to play against the best at your age, then don't say you play AAA. Perhaps the problem is there isn't enough spring,summer hockey trnys for all.
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

council member retired wrote:but it is a aaa hockey trny correct?
Well if your not wanting to play against the best at your age, then don't say you play AAA. Perhaps the problem is there isn't enough spring,summer hockey trnys for all.
No this isn't my problem I am with you, play all you can with whoever you want.
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

Northern Wings 1st, Bulldogs 2nd. Wings had a very strong team probably ready to take the LSS on
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

council member retired wrote:but it is a aaa hockey trny correct?
I agree that the open level AAA teams should call themselves AA, but unfortunately, they're not. Right now we have two designations of AAA, open level and invite level. Open level is basically your "AA" hockey and everyone knows it, even the legit "AAA" teams who think it's OK to sandbag and enter those tournaments.

You'll never see the Machine, Icemen, LSS or Blades enter an Open tournament...why? Because they know that the competition won't be as strong. That's why they enter Invite level tournaments only.

Is this really that difficult for people to understand???
7A22A

Post by 7A22A »

hockeydad30 wrote:Northern Wings 1st, Bulldogs 2nd. Wings had a very strong team probably ready to take the LSS on
Yes, they need to play teams that will test them. I've seen the scores from the Meltdown and now the Wings Tourney and its pretty ugly or maybe that's their IMO to trophy case.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

For some of you that were not at the Wings tourney.................The wings set up the schedule quite unfair and had the weakest teams in their pool so they could get to the championship. In my opinion it was a fixed tournament so the Wings could sweep each division
7A22A wrote:
hockeydad30 wrote:Northern Wings 1st, Bulldogs 2nd. Wings had a very strong team probably ready to take the LSS on
Yes, they need to play teams that will test them. I've seen the scores from the Meltdown and now the Wings Tourney and its pretty ugly or maybe that's their IMO to trophy case.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

hockeymama323 wrote:For some of you that were not at the Wings tourney.................The wings set up the schedule quite unfair and had the weakest teams in their pool so they could get to the championship. In my opinion it was a fixed tournament so the Wings could sweep each division
Both the Wings and Jr Bulldogs had cream puff brackets, but even though the third group was more balanced, the three teams in it were nowhere near the caliber of Jr Bulldogs or the Wings.

For that matter, the Jr Bulldogs were nowhere near the Wings either.
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

Chuck wrote:
hockeymama323 wrote:For some of you that were not at the Wings tourney.................The wings set up the schedule quite unfair and had the weakest teams in their pool so they could get to the championship. In my opinion it was a fixed tournament so the Wings could sweep each division
Both the Wings and Jr Bulldogs had cream puff brackets, but even though the third group was more balanced, the three teams in it were nowhere near the caliber of Jr Bulldogs or the Wings.

For there 1st weekend together they did well. See them in Augest at the Easton Cup and it will be a different story I think.
That was the Wings 3rd week in a row together.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

The Bulldogs did extrememly well considering they have only practiced together twice. They will get past the caliber of the Wings thanks to the CANADIAN boys!
hockeydad30 wrote:
Chuck wrote:

For there 1st weekend together they did well. See them in Augest at the Easton Cup and it will be a different story I think.
That was the Wings 3rd week in a row together.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Hey, I'm Canadian as well but enough with the trolling.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Chuck wrote:Hey, I'm Canadian as well but enough with the trolling.
I`m not trolling. I`m just stating the facts. Take a look at the roster........The goalie is from Canada. They recruited 3 more boys from Canada one week before the Wings Showdown
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

hockeymama323 wrote:
I`m not trolling. I`m just stating the facts. Take a look at the roster........The goalie is from Canada. They recruited 3 more boys from Canada one week before the Wings Showdown
It's a Minnesota youth hockey board. No need with the constant "we're good because we're Canadian stuff".
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Chuck wrote:
hockeymama323 wrote:
It's a Minnesota youth hockey board. No need with the constant "we're good because we're Canadian stuff".
You need to relax a bit Chuck because I am only razzing about ``Canadians``

And yes it is a Minnesota youth hockey board but if you saw the team roster a week before the tourney then at the tourney you would know what I am talking about.

Other teams were upset because they saw the changes in the roster and felt that the coached picked up players that were not ``original`` bulldogs.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

hockeymama323 wrote:
Chuck wrote:
hockeymama323 wrote: I`m not trolling. I`m just stating the facts. Take a look at the roster........The goalie is from Canada. They recruited 3 more boys from Canada one week before the Wings Showdown

And yes it is a Minnesota youth hockey board but if you saw the team roster a week before the tourney then at the tourney you would know what I am talking about.

Other teams were upset because they saw the changes in the roster and felt that the coached picked up players that were not ``original`` bulldogs.
So how are you going to replace the Lake Superior Stars players that played last weekend? Or are these the big changes you're talking about?
Wisconsin Coach

Post by Wisconsin Coach »

Lets just set the expectations straight for everyone. Any Min/Wis AAA League team will have different players on the rosters at every tourney.
They are about kids playing hockey and making new friends and having fun.
So, if kids can't make a tourney for whatever reason they let others that can fill in. (Actually they have a list of kids that want to play for them)
I hope no one is against kids playing some hockey and having fun.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Chuck wrote:
hockeymama323 wrote:
Chuck wrote: It's a Minnesota youth hockey board. No need with the constant "we're good because we're Canadian stuff".

So how are you going to replace the Lake Superior Stars players that played last weekend? Or are these the big changes you're talking about?
I`m simply talking about the 98 Bulldogs and the changes that were made prior to the tournament. My understanding is that some of these players are not going to be on the roster for all tournaments. They were simply pick ups and not sure if they will play the next tournament. That is not fair to other players who want to play all tournaments and pay the full fees
Wisconsin Coach

hockeymama323 - do you know what the Jr Bulldogs/Min/Wis cost are? and who is paying for what? obviously if there were some unfair financial dealings going on, you would see a mass exodus of players from these teams.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Wisconsin Coach wrote:hockeymama323 - do you know what the Jr Bulldogs/Min/Wis cost are? and who is paying for what? obviously if there were some unfair financial dealings going on, you would see a mass exodus of players from these teams.
Yes I know what the costs are. I have done my research. I have also spoke with some parents who informed me that their child is ``paying as he plays`` with the 98 Bulldogs. Is this not acceptable and fair to those who paid the full fees and committed their child for the entire season.
Wisconsin Coach

It is fair from the stand point that a player "pays as he plays" for the cost of that one tourney and the player that "commits full season" pays for the full season and all tourneys. If you are on a Min/Wis team you are aware of this.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Wisconsin Coach wrote:It is fair from the stand point that a player "pays as he plays" for the cost of that one tourney and the player that "commits full season" pays for the full season and all tourneys. If you are on a Min/Wis team you are aware of this.
I understand that..........I just don`t think it is right to pick up different players for different tournaments. In my opinion if your child wants to play AAA hockey you should commit yourself to that team for the season. It is not fair to the players on that team that are there for the full season and have to learn how to play with newcomers each tournament. You don`t need heros to win. You need a TEAM that knows how to play with each other and practice together to learn each players skills and way of playing hockey
Wisconsin Coach

Then the Min/Wisc teams are not what your looking for. Like I stated before,
they want kids to have fun, so if you miss a tourney to play Lacrosse or baseball no big deal, but they will find someone to fill in. Good point for all AAA parents, always ask a lot of questions, one of which definitely needs to be "is the roster flexible or is it firm"
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Wisconsin Coach wrote:Then the Min/Wisc teams are not what your looking for. Like I stated before,
they want kids to have fun, so if you miss a tourney to play Lacrosse or baseball no big deal, but they will find someone to fill in. Good point for all AAA parents, always ask a lot of questions, one of which definitely needs to be "is he roster flexible or is it firm"
Understandable. I guess maybe I look at it from the competitive point. The roster might be flexible but like I said........I don`t think it is fair to those kids who are dedicated to the team at all times.

Maybe they want the kids to have and they will no matter what but AAA hockey is the competitive level for the kids that have the drive to be there.

Take a look at how the 97 Bulldogs did at the Showdown. I am sure they had fun playing but they got smoked!!!! My understanding is that a few of those players were quite frustrated because they are in the league to be competitive and play at a higher level of hockey.

Any league that any child plays in is fun for them because they are passionate about the sport. But AAA is supposed to be for ``the best of the best``. I don`t see that when looking at some of the rosters.

The strong players on that team cannot develop appropriately because they are slowed down by the others. Maybe the league should take a look at forming their teams evenly.