wild.com what is Minnesota's hockey capital?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Okay, let's have our own poll.

Nominees are
Warroad - reasons stated
Roseau - reasons stated
St Paul - reasons stated
International Falls - # of state champs, more Olympians per capita than anyone except Warrroad (perhaps).
Eveleth - early tradition, champions, pros.
Hallock - birth place of hockey in MN
Edina - why not?
Grand Rapids - once they got going produce a large number of D1 and pros and champions.
Hill Murray - oops, no such city.

So I have 8 nominees so far.
Any others?
WarroadWarrior

Post by WarroadWarrior »

Sure, if We are strictly talking "high school hockey" roseau beats us hands down. and they still might in this contest. If they do, i won't have a problem with it. but we aren't talking the capitol of the state of high school hockey, we are talking state of "hockey". I will have no problem with the winner as long as its a northern team. Hell I wouldn't be upset if Eveleth won it. they were pretty much the birth place of hockey in MN IMO.
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

25 sheet power wrote:First "christian hockey" is a nothing company, Christian brothers was huge.
Also if u want to ignore history....warroad has beaten roseau 34-21 in the past 25 years...
What are the state title numbers between the two in the last 25 years? That's right, Roseau 3, Warroad 0. (Don't tell me the Class A titles count).

By the way, history isn't limited to the last 25 years. If it was, it would likely be Roseau, Warroad or Bloomington, but it isn't just 25 years, so I have to go with Eveleth just slightly over Roseau and International Falls.
Friends don't let friends play basketball.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

IF you want to go by success of former players and success at the high school level consistently, I think it either has to be Edina or Roseau. With many of the schools up north fading, it is remarkable Roseau has been able to compete and win with the big boys still and, as hated as Edina is, they have been very successful consistently, with a few drops in their program.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Before I even read this thread, I had picked who I thought would/could/should be in the final 4. I had Eveleth, Warroad, Edina and Roseau. With Eveleth and Roseau in the final 2. From there it's a toss up for me. When I did it, I didn't have to sit and think about it. I guess it was all mostly based on high school hockey history which I don't think should be the MAIN reason. And even though I didn't pick St Paul in my final 4, to me St Paul is the Capital of Hockey in Minnesota, maybe the USA...in my opinion. It's where I go for the Wild, The WCHA Final Five and of course, the State High School Hockey Tournament (boys and girls). Not to mention other various hockey events in St Paul every year. Even though my final 4 has more hockey history, St Paul is where players hope to play someday and where ALOT of people go to watch those players!
Blaine 2000 State Champs
Centennial 2004 State Champs
DotaDangler

Post by DotaDangler »

To me the capital of something has to be a focal point and meeting place for people. Yes, many northern towns have more tradition and history when it comes to hockey, but they are not the capital. The capital is the place you go to watch the Wild, the WCHA, and the high school hockey tournament. Wherever that would be...
Imagine a world...with no Wisconsin
HAWKey

Post by HAWKey »

hermantown, mn
Just_Another_Fan

Post by Just_Another_Fan »

elliott70 wrote:Okay, let's have our own poll.

Nominees are
Warroad - reasons stated
Roseau - reasons stated
St Paul - reasons stated
International Falls - # of state champs, more Olympians per capita than anyone except Warrroad (perhaps).
Eveleth - early tradition, champions, pros.
Hallock - birth place of hockey in MN
Edina - why not?
Grand Rapids - once they got going produce a large number of D1 and pros and champions.
Hill Murray - oops, no such city.

So I have 8 nominees so far.
Any others?
The City of Hill Murray is comprised of woodbury, white bear lake, oakdale, sitllwater and maplewood :lol:
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

rams1989 wrote:
25 sheet power wrote:First "christian hockey" is a nothing company, Christian brothers was huge.
Also if u want to ignore history....warroad has beaten roseau 34-21 in the past 25 years...
What are the state title numbers between the two in the last 25 years? That's right, Roseau 3, Warroad 0. (Don't tell me the Class A titles count).

By the way, history isn't limited to the last 25 years. If it was, it would likely be Roseau, Warroad or Bloomington, but it isn't just 25 years, so I have to go with Eveleth just slightly over Roseau and International Falls.
Absolutely class A titles count. Take this into mind. The last Warroad championship came in 2005. That year they played Moorhead who at the time was ranked number one in class AA while Warroad was number one in class A. The teams tied. Often times the best class A teams can compete with the best AA teams.
fargo7

Post by fargo7 »

HAWKey wrote:hermantown, mn
Yuck
Faceguard79

Post by Faceguard79 »

St Paul hands down.