Players at New Schools

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

joehockey

Players at New Schools

Post by joehockey »

So here is a thread to list players who are possibly at new schools for the fall. Here are some I have read and heard about in the metro from the forum. This is a place to clarify movement but probably will be in flux up to day one of school or even the season.....

The following have been mentioned on different threads with possible new schools in the fall:

Sarah Bruchu to Stillwater
Margo Lund to Hill Murray
Alyssa Vail to Shattuck

Hopkins - posters shared there will be up to 5 new player move-ins - I don't have any names?
iceage

Re: Players at New Schools

Post by iceage »

joehockey wrote:So here is a thread to list players who are possibly at new schools for the fall. Here are some I have read and heard about in the metro from the forum. This is a place to clarify movement but probably will be in flux up to day one of school or even the season.....

The following have been mentioned on different threads with possible new schools in the fall:

Sarah Bruchu to Stillwater
Margo Lund to Hill Murray
Alyssa Vail to Shattuck

Hopkins - posters shared there will be up to 5 new player move-ins - I don't have any names?
Lakeville South will get Morgan Fritz-Ward after sitting out a year on a transfer from Iowa. Morgan is a very good player whose development was mainly on boys teams and she played for the Minnesota Wizards for a few years.
oneonone

Players moving?

Post by oneonone »

There are a lot of interesting rumors out there...it seems some families are willing to go to great lengths to get their daughter to the school of their choice. It will be interesting to see how many of these rumored moves actually happen, and how many are cleared to play varsity this year by the MSHSL.
ghshockeyfan

Re: Players moving?

Post by ghshockeyfan »

oneonone wrote:There are a lot of interesting rumors out there...it seems some families are willing to go to great lengths to get their daughter to the school of their choice. It will be interesting to see how many of these rumored moves actually happen, and how many are cleared to play varsity this year by the MSHSL.

With the economy being what it is I'd bet many will have a better chance of using that rationale to explain moves which impact varsity eligibility. I'd guess the mshsl will consider more "hardship" like requests than ever as a result so may be easier to move now than ever?
OntheEdge

Post by OntheEdge »

oneonone wrote:There are a lot of interesting rumors out there...it seems some families are willing to go to great lengths to get their daughter to the school of their choice. It will be interesting to see how many of these rumored moves actually happen, and how many are cleared to play varsity this year by the MSHSL.
Well said. I'm sure many people are interested in what happens. If MSHSL makes it too easy for people to transfer it will be interesting to see the effect. I personally think that if the "hardship" exception is liberally interpreted the Private schools will be hurt and they will lose more players.
Last edited by OntheEdge on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceage

Post by iceage »

OntheEdge wrote:
Well said. I'm sure many people are interested in what happens. If MSHSL makes it too easy for people to transfer it will be interesting to see the effect. I personally think that if the "hardship" rule is liberally interpreted the Private schools will be hurt and they will lose more players.
True dat.
iceage

Post by iceage »

OntheEdge wrote:
Well said. I'm sure many people are interested in what happens. If MSHSL makes it too easy for people to transfer it will be interesting to see the effect. I personally think that if the "hardship" rule is liberally interpreted the Private schools will be hurt and they will lose more players.
True dat.
Silent But Deadly

Transfers

Post by Silent But Deadly »

This warrants a bump!

Besides a former Armstrong player who moved to Hopkins...any other noteworthy changes?
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

Geez...is Hopkins the new EP. Heard there were also a couple of Coon Rapids kids making the move to the Royals.
royals dad

Re: Transfers

Post by royals dad »

Silent But Deadly wrote:This warrants a bump!
Let me guess, your from Tonka.
nutuporshutup

Post by nutuporshutup »

I have talked with Hopkins parents and they have informed me that they are getting 5 new players this year:

Missy Mankey (Coon Rapids)
Mari Mankey (Coon Rapids)
Kirsten Calder (Armstrong)
Meckenzie Miller (North Metro)
Melania Johnson (Wayzata, Cara Johnson's sister)
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

nutuporshutup wrote:I have talked with Hopkins parents and they have informed me that they are getting 5 new players this year:

Missy Mankey (Coon Rapids)
Mari Mankey (Coon Rapids)
Kirsten Calder (Armstrong)
Meckenzie Miller (North Metro)
Melania Johnson (Wayzata, Cara Johnson's sister)
Wow! they have brought in some good talent!
observer

Post by observer »

Did their families move to Hopkins to avoid playing JV this first season at a new school?
Some other loophole?
iceage

Post by iceage »

observer wrote:Did their families move to Hopkins to avoid playing JV this first season at a new school?
Some other loophole?
Moving into the school district is not a loophole. The rules allow you to do this. As far as I know, other than a court order or a one time switch to the other divorsed parent, this is the only way you can avoid the one year sit-out. You cannot simply change addresses by living with friends or non-custodial relatives.
gogogophers35

Post by gogogophers35 »

Well if it works for boy's Basketball I suppose they think it will work
for girls Hockey.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

gogogophers35 wrote:Well if it works for boy's Basketball I suppose they think it will work
for girls Hockey.
I wonder if there are any of there rental units left! :-0
iceage

Post by iceage »

gogogophers35 wrote:Well if it works for boy's Basketball I suppose they think it will work
for girls Hockey.
I forgot to add that the 9th Grade Option is the other way to avoid the sit-out. This is simply enrolling in a school before the start of your 9th grade year. You do not have to live in the school district.

The school in general and the athletic director specifically is responsible for ensuring althletic eligibility. If it is know that an athlete is ineligible, it should be brought to the attention of the school involved, the Athletic Director of the district, and/or the MSHSL. The school will lose all games played in by the ineligible athlete such as a school did recently in football.
observer

Post by observer »

I think the Hopkins AD is ethically challenged. Definitely tiptoeing the rules. The Star Tribune article about the open enrolled, changed residence, basketball players from North Minneapolis that played on the Hopkins basketball team, did rent apartments in Hopkins and the apartments generally sat empty. Not sure that's within the spirit of fair play. Not the parents, coaches or players proudest moment. They're dirt.

I think entering the school in the 9th grade is the only above board way. Most of the rest is toying with the system for the wrong reasons.

Several rule benders on the boys side as well.
Thunderbird77

Post by Thunderbird77 »

It is ludicrous to think that any Athletic Director in the State of Minnesota is not following the High School Rules. Their job would be on the line and no high school athlete is worth it.

That being said, it is a lot more fun on a forum to suggest impropriety and call "foul". Perhaps if this board would determine what the "right" reasons are for changing schools, we could more easily judge the names mentioned.
dochockey

Post by dochockey »

Thunderbird77 wrote:It is ludicrous to think that any Athletic Director in the State of Minnesota is not following the High School Rules. Their job would be on the line and no high school athlete is worth it.

That being said, it is a lot more fun on a forum to suggest impropriety and call "foul". Perhaps if this board would determine what the "right" reasons are for changing schools, we could more easily judge the names mentioned.

Bypassing of rules to get a good player eligible is a problem that has existed as long as competition has. Athletic directors don't have the time to track down every rumor and need to depend on their coaches to root out people who stretch the rules. The pressure to win sometimes leads coaches to turn a blind eye to improprieties that seem to exist from year to year. Suddenly high school athletics is no longer about providing opportunities for the kids; it’s about a coach’s ego and what he can do to get that one last piece of the puzzle. From what I have seen, the parents that change their kids’ schools for athletic reasons show an incredible lack of integrity and even though they seem to be the most enthusiastic boosters, they are the ones that are damaging high school sports.
royals dad

Post by royals dad »

How ridiculous is it that on a web site that uses aliases instead of real names a user needs to create a new alias to put up a post. Nutup is so gutless that he can’t even use his real made up user name to post the real names of girls as young as ninth grade.

I think the Hopkins school district serves at least a portion of seven different communities, as well as a great deal of open enrollment from Minneapolis. We have a school that has a great deal of integration both from a racial and socioeconomic sense. Our test scores are consistently higher than other schools below 10% poverty level, when we are above 20%. We are statically an anomaly in the list of MN HS test scores. I am a strong believer in the quality of our school's administration and teachers, they do a great job of working with students at the high and low spectrum. I would put our AP teachers up with any in the state. Our girls sports teams have been at or near the top of academic GPAs in the state consistently, including #1 in the nation for softball 3 of the last 4 years. On top of that I think we have solid and long term coaching staffs. I moved to Hopkins not for hockey but for the schools when my oldest was still in elementary school, and now a few years later I still strongly believe in our school district.

On top of that I like our coaching staff in girls hockey, I have seen their dedication to the program and to the players. At both JV and Varsity levels I have sat and watched the practices they are well run from both a flow and creativity level. It comes through in how the team performs on the ice and how individuals have developed. I think there is a string of 5 years with at least one D1 player and many more that went D3. The locker room leaders have been solid student athletes in the couple years I have been around the program and the type of kids I would like my daughter to someday be.

This is just my opinion about my situation, I’m not saying its perfect but it works really well for my family. Its people like me who believe in our district and our staff who are really to blame for this situation. When we go to tournaments or summer teams and talk about our situation it causes things like this to happen.
hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

dochockey wrote:
Thunderbird77 wrote:It is ludicrous to think that any Athletic Director in the State of Minnesota is not following the High School Rules. Their job would be on the line and no high school athlete is worth it.

Bypassing of rules to get a good player eligible is a problem that has existed as long as competition has. Athletic directors don't have the time to track down every rumor and need to depend on their coaches to root out people who stretch the rules. The pressure to win sometimes leads coaches to turn a blind eye to improprieties that seem to exist from year to year. Suddenly high school athletics is no longer about providing opportunities for the kids; it’s about a coach’s ego and what he can do to get that one last piece of the puzzle. From what I have seen, the parents that change their kids’ schools for athletic reasons show an incredible lack of integrity and even though they seem to be the most enthusiastic boosters, they are the ones that are damaging high school sports.
Very well said! But a lot of times it is the kids and their parents that are pulling in others to play with them, unfortunately it kind of pushes out those that are already there.

I wonder what the college coaches think of kids bailing on there teams in High School.
I guess here in Minnesota the Gophers have seen that first hand.
SEhockeyDAD

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

The right reasons for changing schools? There's likely several good reasons, scholastic being the top of the list. At the other end, a wrong reason would be so that a high school athlete could contribute to the formation of a great high school team.

I agree that AD's are the wrong party to pick, if you're looking for a source of "recruiting" for the sake of forming a super team. Parents have the last word in any school decision. Its very possible that parents are the primary source of a some students school changes for sports sake. When sports-driven school changes do occur, no matter who's driving the issue, parents are at least willing enablers.

One word from T-bird struck me as wrong; suggesting impropriety for "fun"? No, fun isn't behind the grousing about super teams. I'm in the group who pines for the old-school days of kids playing with freinds they grew up with, and for their community. Its frustrating for many parties when super team transfers occur; the transferring student's old team loses their best player, the new team's varsity cuts borderline kids, who grew up hoping to play for their hometown and the super team's rivals, who have a good team that otherwise might have a good chance to make a playoff run.

Anyway, thats my bit, and sure, its based on opinion or emotion. Bottom line, kids and parents have a right to choose the school they want and can even change for sports sake. And many like me won't like it and don't mind saying so.
dochockey

Post by dochockey »

After my last post, I received a phone call from a friend of mine who was on the wrong side of one of these attempts to build a super team. The player was part of a house cleaning by a coach who claimed to have all the answers and that the parents loved his program. The player was told she wasn’t loyal enough, didn’t work hard enough, not a team player. No specifics were ever given.

Several players have been swept out of the program and quit hockey, others quietly left for new schools. This coach’s super team finished the same way past teams have, tied for 3rd in sectionals. Only a small number of players are happy with the way the coach handles things. The team has gone from 51 girls trying out last year to 36 this year. They look to be slightly above a .500 team this year. This coach chose to cherry pick his team rather than coach the players who showed up and even though his team had a decent win - loss record last year, when you have a 30% reduction in kids trying out, your team is a failure on a more important level than wins or losses.

As for the my friends daughter who wasn’t loyal enough for this coach. She’s still at the same school, playing hockey nearly every night, practicing with a boys bantam team, doesn’t know where she’ll play this year but is planning on playing in college.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

HM has more than 36 kids trying out!
:shock: OOOOPS! Did I say that out loud or just think it?