SCSU Recruits

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

David Sparrow#1

Post by David Sparrow#1 »

Slap Shot wrote:
David Sparrow#1 wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:Actually, Lucia won a national title in his 3rd and 4th season as Gopher head coach. His first title contained only one class he did not recruit... his second national title team was all his recruits (except for Nick Anthony).
mmm... that must be some good Don Lucia kool-aid gopher blog.
Facts = kool-aid? Fail.
your tweets
Prodigy Project

Post by Prodigy Project »

One of the best reecruiting programs in the dub. expect to see SDSU to be on the rise within the next few years. :lol:
Barn Burner

Post by Barn Burner »

SCSU has been recruiting quite well within the last couple years. showing how section 8 plays hockey!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

David Sparrow#1 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
David Sparrow#1 wrote: mmm... that must be some good Don Lucia kool-aid gopher blog.
Facts = kool-aid? Fail.
your tweets
"you're"? Good job.
David Sparrow#1

Post by David Sparrow#1 »

Slap Shot wrote:
David Sparrow#1 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote: Facts = kool-aid? Fail.
your tweets
"you're"? Good job.
as in twitter :roll:
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

David Sparrow#1 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
David Sparrow#1 wrote: your tweets
"you're"? Good job.
Which makes zero sense. Keep trying.
Fireman66

Post by Fireman66 »

Slap Shot wrote:
David Sparrow#1 wrote:
Slap Shot wrote: "you're"? Good job.
Which makes zero sense. Keep trying.
Slap Nuts you make no sense.
Lots of water = a dead flamer
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Fireman66 wrote:Slap Nuts you make no sense.
Do you go to the bathroom for him too?
crazy carl

Post by crazy carl »

sriverhockey wrote:It might not be who's getting looks as much as who might not be going there. Joey Benik playing for the MN owls in the MNJHL. I saw him play the other night, there were 3-4 kid's on both teams better than him... He can't or won't play defense, even the coach was yelling at him to get back. He would take one or two hard strides and then coast till he got to the blue line and then circle around waiting for a pass, never covering his man. Hopefully his coach will get him going, he does have good speed and nice hands.
well you know just because joey benik doesnt skate hard in a teir 3 mj game that he doesnt care about doesnt mean that he isnt a division one caliber player. he will tear it up when he goes hard all game. i cant wait to see it.
crazy carl

Post by crazy carl »

Stealth wrote:Was Joey Benik a SCSU D-1 recruit? Playing in the Junior A tier 3 level?
How is that? leave high school early?
high school hockey in minnesota isnt like anything else in the country because people who play high school here dont need to leave early to play juniors. thats why its so good and thats why it is going down a little cuz people think they need to play juniors to get to the next level. if you are good enough you will make it! :D
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

crazy carl wrote:
sriverhockey wrote:It might not be who's getting looks as much as who might not be going there. Joey Benik playing for the MN owls in the MNJHL. I saw him play the other night, there were 3-4 kid's on both teams better than him... He can't or won't play defense, even the coach was yelling at him to get back. He would take one or two hard strides and then coast till he got to the blue line and then circle around waiting for a pass, never covering his man. Hopefully his coach will get him going, he does have good speed and nice hands.
well you know just because joey benik doesnt skate hard in a teir 3 mj game that he doesnt care about doesnt mean that he isnt a division one caliber player. he will tear it up when he goes hard all game. i cant wait to see it.
Says a lot about the kid if he isn't giving 100% and trying to better himself every time he touches the ice.

:roll:
The U invented swagger.
International Falls

Post by International Falls »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
crazy carl wrote:
Says a lot about the kid if he isn't giving 100% and trying to better himself every time he touches the ice.

yeah you're not going to find this kid all dressed up an hour before a game
Jbone

Post by Jbone »

crazy carl wrote:
Stealth wrote:Was Joey Benik a SCSU D-1 recruit? Playing in the Junior A tier 3 level?
How is that? leave high school early?
high school hockey in minnesota isnt like anything else in the country because people who play high school here dont need to leave early to play juniors. thats why its so good and thats why it is going down a little cuz people think they need to play juniors to get to the next level. if you are good enough you will make it! :D
That's not true. Most high school hockey players from MN need to go to Juniors to excel their game. You can't get better when your playing with HS buds who would rather go to the Sadies Hawkins dance than play a little puck. Times are changing and to be the best, you need to play with the best.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Jbone wrote:That's not true. Most high school hockey players from MN need to go to Juniors to excel their game. You can't get better when your playing with HS buds who would rather go to the Sadies Hawkins dance than play a little puck. Times are changing and to be the best, you need to play with the best.
The vast majority of high end players are not leaving early.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Garrett Hendrickson from Virginia HS to SCSU...

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show_ar ... 2760/38476
boblee#2

Post by boblee#2 »

International Falls wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
crazy carl wrote: well you know just because joey benik doesnt skate hard in a teir 3 mj game that he doesnt care about doesnt mean that he isnt a division one caliber player. he will tear it up when he goes hard all game. i cant wait to see it.

yeah you're not going to find this kid all dressed up an hour before a

game
Great Kid
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

International Falls wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
crazy carl wrote: well you know just because joey benik doesnt skate hard in a teir 3 mj game that he doesnt care about doesnt mean that he isnt a division one caliber player. he will tear it up when he goes hard all game. i cant wait to see it.

yeah you're not going to find this kid all dressed up an hour before a game
If it's a "game day" he should be.
The U invented swagger.
WoodStickSniper

Post by WoodStickSniper »

Are you sure the reason Benik didn't play for the Force is because he refused, and not because he was cut?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

WoodStickSniper wrote:Are you sure the reason Benik didn't play for the Force is because he refused, and not because he was cut?
http://www.sportsprepzone.com/schools/s ... php?ID=586
He bypassed an opportunity to play at a higher level of juniors this winter in favor of returning to St. Francis for one final season of playing with his twin brother, Andy, and several other longtime teammates.
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

i can somewhat understand that he didn't want to play before and after with the Force. i get that he wanted to play with his hs team. lots of boys make that choice - and it is a great one!

but what i don't understand is why he played in the MNJHL instead of Elite league. :?:
boblee#2

Post by boblee#2 »

hockeyboys wrote:i can somewhat understand that he didn't want to play before and after with the Force. i get that he wanted to play with his hs team. lots of boys make that choice - and it is a great one!

but what i don't understand is why he played in the MNJHL instead of Elite league. :?:
\

the team he played on was very close to his house i heard along with a few buddies he knew on that team.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
TCoachF wrote:I am not saying Joey shouldn't have played Elite I. What I am saying is he chose not to for his own reasons. That is absolutley his choice. As for comparing him to his peers, it would be hard to find a player who has played with him or against him who would not tell you that he is special. Is he perfect? Absolutely not! He has many holes defensively but man is his offense good.

He has skills that cannot be taught. Quick first 3 steps, shot relelase that I compare to Gaborik and twitch muscles that are off the chart. He has no fear and will not back down from anyone.

My mention of Hanowski was because no one else had yet. St. Cloud State is beating Lucia to some pretty good talent. The next 4 years will be fun.

Let the season begin gentlemen!

Take off the Benik blinders. He is an above average HS player at best. He has no defensive zone play and just floats around the blue line waiting for the long breakout pass. If that's "special" maybe you should have been watching some players like Nick Leddy, Nick Bjugstad, and Anders Lee. Benik is nowhere near the level of these players and he will get chewed up and spit out in the WCHA when he starts to figure out that hockey is a two way game.
observer

Post by observer »

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/stats_hockey ... gueid=2393

Benik leads Penticton in scoring and leads the BCHL in assists.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

observer wrote:http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/stats_hockey ... gueid=2393

Benik leads Penticton in scoring and leads the BCHL in assists.
He will be an impact player in the WCHA. Mark my words.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

As long as somebody else bumped this thread, I won't mind adding that at least five current MSHSL players turned down scholarship offers from SCSU... maybe more that I don't know of.

I'm not saying any of those players made the wrong decision. However, I occasionally read complaints on this board about SCSU going after out-of-state, Canadian, and European players, and I just wanted to point out that St. Cloud coaches aren't necessarily doing that by choice.

As for Benik, I always thought he was a gamble. It's looking more and more like a wager that will pay off.